Will Kitty Die?

x_icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By x_icon

The solicitations for Astonishing X-Men #24 say "one will not return" and all the members of the Astonishing team are present in Messiah CompleX except for Shadowcat. Messiah CompleX presumably takes place after the current story arc (Unstoppable) in Astonishing, so does that mean that Kitty Pryde is the one who "does not return?" And if so, does anyone think it could be that she dies?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fesak  Moderator

It seems so. But she wont stay dead for long, popular characters seems impossible to kill permanently.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Resonate

fesak says:

"It seems so. But she wont stay dead for long, popular characters seems impossible to kill permanently."

So when does Captain America come back?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Nighthunter

hope she doesn't

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Resonate says:

"fesak says:
"It seems so. But she wont stay dead for long, popular characters seems impossible to kill permanently."

So when does Captain America come back?"

I think there's a grand plan laid out, a new Cap and so on, but i'm willing to bet money on that Steve Rogers is back within 2 years.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Resonate

fesak says:

"Resonate says:
"fesak says:
So when does Captain America come back?"
I think there's a grand plan laid out, a new Cap and so on, but i'm willing to bet money on that Steve Rogers is back within 2 years."

I think so too

Ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ranger

Nighthunter says:

"hope she doesn't"

Yeah, she probably won't die though =\

Avatar image for legendary_bio_vishanti
Legendary Bio Vishanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

X-Icon says:

"The solicitations for Astonishing X-Men #24 say "one will not return" and all the members of the Astonishing team are present in Messiah CompleX except for Shadowcat. Messiah CompleX presumably takes place after the current story arc (Unstoppable) in Astonishing, so does that mean that Kitty Pryde is the one who "does not return?" And if so, does anyone think it could be that she dies?"

Will you die? And are you one of the ones who "does not return"?

grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By grimm
Ranger said:
"

Nighthunter says:

"hope she doesn't"

"
unfortunately she's already dead
stuck inside a magic bullet after she phased it through earth
John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By John_Feaster

I have a feeling that she'll return either in the company of Magik (I thought they were hinting at that), who could possibly rescue her through teleportation, or perhaps...and this is an odd one, though NOT as odd as you'd expect...she maye return inhabited by the Phoenix Force. Just give it a chance...I think she'd look cute as the new Phoenix ;>)

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By John Valentine

KEEP HER DEAD!

Avatar image for vanessa_summers
Vanessa Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vanessa Summers
glares at John Valentine before frowning

I love every SINGLE bit of your idea Feaster, but I'm wondering how she'd become the Phoenix host?  Not that I'm against it.  I personally think that would probably be about the coolest thing EVER.  She could finally and forever kill Colossus with a single thought,  something I myself wish I could do on may occaisons.  But has there been any real word on the hints with her return with Magik?  I'm sorry, but in my heart I know they can't keep her locked inside a giant bullet for the rest of continuity.   I need Kitty back!!!

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John Valentine
Vanessa Summers said:
"glares at John Valentine before frowning

I love every SINGLE bit of your idea Feaster, but I'm wondering how she'd become the Phoenix host?  Not that I'm against it.  I personally think that would probably be about the coolest thing EVER.  She could finally and forever kill Colossus with a single thought,  something I myself wish I could do on may occaisons.  But has there been any real word on the hints with her return with Magik?  I'm sorry, but in my heart I know they can't keep her locked inside a giant bullet for the rest of continuity.   I need Kitty back!!!

"
Look, I'm not saying that she should have been killed off, but I just think that she should be left alone for a long time.

If characters are killed and then brought back immediately, it renders their deathes pointless and meaningless.
Vanessa Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vanessa Summers

While I begrudgingly admit that you have a valid point in your above statement,  your previous one of  "KEEP HER DEAD" seemed rather cold and callous.  If your wish was to keep her dead to strengthen the impact of said death,  I have no problem with this.   However,  my point on this whole bit is she shouldn't be "dead" to begin with.  You want her death to be meaningful?  Well I want her death to actually be acknowledged.   One quip about Colossus losing his "love" really doesn't do it for me.  For one reason,  he wouldn't know real love if it walked up and slapped him a few times.   But I digress..

The whole idea that Kitty would sacrifice herself makes full sense, but I just think the way they wrote it!  It was horrible!!    I just can't believe of all the ways to write her character off the canvas,  it's inside a huge super bullet?  I mean.. c'mon!!!   She's been a part of the X-Universe since she was 13 years old and has ties to SO many,  not just Colossus.   I mean,  do the members of Excalibur know she's gone?  Or have they just forgotten about that?

It's just totally and completely disappointing how things were handled,  that's all I'm saying.   Bring her back and FIX it.  That's what my argument's about.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By John Valentine
Vanessa Summers said:
"While I begrudgingly admit that you have a valid point in your above statement,  your previous one of  "KEEP HER DEAD" seemed rather cold and callous.  If your wish was to keep her dead to strengthen the impact of said death,  I have no problem with this.   However,  my point on this whole bit is she shouldn't be "dead" to begin with.  You want her death to be meaningful?  Well I want her death to actually be acknowledged.   One quip about Colossus losing his "love" really doesn't do it for me.  For one reason,  he wouldn't know real love if it walked up and slapped him a few times.   But I digress..

The whole idea that Kitty would sacrifice herself makes full sense, but I just think the way they wrote it!  It was horrible!!    I just can't believe of all the ways to write her character off the canvas,  it's inside a huge super bullet?  I mean.. c'mon!!!   She's been a part of the X-Universe since she was 13 years old and has ties to SO many,  not just Colossus.   I mean,  do the members of Excalibur know she's gone?  Or have they just forgotten about that?

It's just totally and completely disappointing how things were handled,  that's all I'm saying.   Bring her back and FIX it.  That's what my argument's about."
I totally agree, and I think that the way in which she died was stupid: a character whom has been in the Marvel Universe for near 30 years was simply dismissed in ONE issue and was later referred to properly?!?

However  it has been written into continuity, so, unless we are granted with a retcon, that is how she will be remembered.

Granted, it is possible that she's not actually dead. Who knows? She may have drifted into Shi'ar space or been rescued beforehand........
LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LexiCat

Well,  I want a frickin' retcon in the worst way then!  They cannot just LEAVE it like that!  Oh that makes me so angry!   I was holding out hope there would be some resolution,  something done,  a funeral, memorial.. SOMETHING done!!

She was a part of Exalibur for a long time and that's always been my favorite team.  To not tell any of them?  To have them not even realize?  What about Kurt?  What about Pete Wisdom?  What about Storm?!?  I mean omgosh!!!!    They just simply can't leave it the way they have!  It's just a butchering of a legacy of one of Marvel's greatest female characters! 

I know he had nothing to do with it,  but somebody bring me Joe Quesada!   I just feel like hitting someone and he's a great punching bag!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danhimself

she's not dead....she has to stay on the giant bullet and keep it phased so it doesn't destroy anything....she's very much alive right now.....however i don't see marvel leaving her out there for very long i imagine she'll be back very soon

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pixelized
Ranger said:
"

Nighthunter says:

"hope she doesn't"

"
Starvation is gonna grab her
WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WARLOCK2792

She better NOT!!!  One of Storm's best friends is already dead.  They don't need to kill the other.  She was the inspiration for BUFFY for heaven's sake!

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pixelized

who was storm's best friend?

You know what was sad...Emma Frost of all people cried over kitty's current predicament.

i'm disappointed in her
LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LexiCat
danhimself said:
"she's not dead....she has to stay on the giant bullet and keep it phased so it doesn't destroy anything....she's very much alive right now.....however i don't see marvel leaving her out there for very long i imagine she'll be back very soon"

Um..  yeah.  She would have to be dead.  She can only maintain the phased state for as long as she can hold her breath. #1.  She can't hold her breath forever.  and a huge  #2.  THERE'S NO AIR IN SPACE!   If they don't find a way to retcon this idea or just not do something that stupid and think people won't realize it,  she's dead.   And that's a pitiful shame.
WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WARLOCK2792
pixelized said:
"who was storm's best friend?

You know what was sad...Emma Frost of all people cried over kitty's current predicament.

i'm disappointed in her
"
Jean's not really "dead", yet she is.  She's died like, 50 times, and "rebirthed" herself afterwards.  Now, she's gone for a fairly long time. 
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pixelized

Oh...the firecrotch. whatevs.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pixelized
danhimself said:
"she's not dead....she has to stay on the giant bullet and keep it phased so it doesn't destroy anything....she's very much alive right now.....however i don't see marvel leaving her out there for very long i imagine she'll be back very soon"
Letest issue of Astonishing has forgotten all about her. I say she's as good as dead
LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LexiCat

Well,  I think it's just horrible how they simply didn't say one word about her supposed  "death".   I mean sure,  I'm upset I'm losing my favorite character in mainstream continity, but I'm more upset by how they handled it.  I just can't imagine being more disrespectful to a character that touches so many others' lives in the X-Universe.  It's so callous.. 

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John Valentine
LexiCat said:
"Well,  I think it's just horrible how they simply didn't say one word about her supposed  "death".   I mean sure,  I'm upset I'm losing my favorite character in mainstream continity, but I'm more upset by how they handled it.  I just can't imagine being more disrespectful to a character that touches so many others' lives in the X-Universe.  It's so callous..  "

Get real... it's a comic character, and not a great oen at that.
LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LexiCat

I'm very real and I'm entitled to my opinions as are you. 

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By John Valentine
LexiCat said:
"

I'm very real and I'm entitled to my opinions as are you. 

"
Absolutely, and my opinion is that your reaction to a currently unresolved matter is way too over the top.
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pixelized

LOL

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LexiCat

And my opinion on your reaction to my reaction is that if you want to insult someone on a forum, based on their passion for a subject,  you're either apathetic, or pathetic and I'm not sure which it might be.   The thread is to discuss the topic, not become a sniping brat who wants to tell someone what they think of them. 

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By John Valentine
LexiCat said:
"And my opinion on your reaction to my reaction is that if you want to insult someone on a forum, based on their passion for a subject,  you're either apathetic, or pathetic and I'm not sure which it might be.   The thread is to discuss the topic, not become a sniping brat who wants to tell someone what they think of them.  "

I was merely voicing my opinion upon your opinion, which you just did to me.
John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By John_Feaster
   Kitty Pryde is one of the greatest comic characters of all time. She's connected to a dozen teams and individuals, and has been a major and positive influence on Wolverine, Emma Frost, Rachel Summers and Illyana Rasputin. She's made a career out of being the conscience for other, more powerful individuals. She's done so as a mentor and a role model instead of a pest (a rare thing), and if all of those people would describe her as a friend instead of a team mate. Perhaps it's because I'm old (I'm 39, and have been there since her first appearances), but she's a character who doesn't deserve to be banished into Marvels graveyard...

However!

She should be out of X-Man continuity for a few years. Her return to the team should be unexpected...

...a return as Phoenix would come just in time to rescue them from the Imperial Guard - and should be both a moment of celebration...and horror, as they realize that all the terrible weight of the Phoenix Force has been laid on her shoulders. At this time, she and Emma Frost would grow closer, as Emma tries to help her control her powers, and now it's her turn to be Kitty's conscience.

...Magik is encountered several years from now, and Kitty is in her company. The X-Men should have had no idea that she's been alive all this time, and the moment should be bittersweet, as Kitty has either been corrupted by her time in Limbo ("Cat you are in name..."), or years have passed in Limo-time, meaning that Kitty is a grown woman...and has moved beyond Peter. This may disturb some, but perhaps she and Magik have grown...closer? A possible outcome considering current trends in comics, and not one I couldn't imagine...or eventually become used to.

And, if not that...

...the bullet could be encountered by the new Guardians of the Galaxy, and she could be rescued. She'd be in deep space, beyond the sphere of X-Men continuity, but still adventuring and being read. The possible interactions between her, Mantis, Gamorra and Warlock...not to mention that darn dog, would be amusing, and she'd once again be filling her role as 'Beloved Conscience.

...be found by the Stranger, and taken as an oddity. She'd eventually earn his trust...

...one of the Elders of the Universe (the Runner would rescue her just as a matter of course)...

...encounter Cloud in her eternal loneliness...

...and heck, if just DEAD...then her mind and consciousness would have become bonded with the oddly magical metal of the bullet. The people she knew best on the Earth (Storm, Logan, Emma, Rachel, Franklin Richards...)would start seeing her in their dreams. Bizarre dreams where "Pirate Kitty" contacts them to tell In the dreams, ...and when they wake, they realize that the dream was a sending. The bullet's alien metal acts as a spiritual tuning fork, allowing her soul to speak to distant friends in dream form. Perhaps she's even unaware that she'd died, and she thinks of this twisted dreamworld as reality?

The Marvel Universe Is BOTTOMLESS! No death should be meanigless, but neither should they be eternal. I've been reading comics since 1980, and I've seen some cool characters just get tossed aside. I'd like to see some of them again, and I wouldn't be angry if they returned. Kitty is at the top of that list.
John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By John_Feaster

I've gone back and re-read X-Men 129 through to the end of the Brood saga (some of the best comics EVER), and I;ve fallen in love with Kitty all over again. She was such a breath of fresh air when she appeared, and her career from then to now has been involved and facinating. The relationship between her, Storm and Emma Frost in 152-153 story was particularly cool, in light of the later character development involving the three of them. If she IS gone (which I don't believe), then I'll miss her.

Now...for an idea on how Kitty could be the next Phoenix. That, I'd leave up to the writers. Though...if I had to try it myself...

The bullet rockets through space on it's eternal journey, passing near the now destroyed D'Bari star system (At the hands of the Dark Phoenix, way back in continuity) a tattered shred of the Phoenix Force still lingers in the area, and it senses the bullits presence...and perhaps also the soul of a being it recognizes from so long ago.

The shreds of long spent energy coalesces into a fiery, bird like form. Smaller than the usual representations of the Phoenix Force, it's a shrunken, crippled thing. Still, it seeks out the strange metal object that passes so close, and it finds a being that it recognizes. Phoenix/Jean had only known Kitty for a few issues by the time she destroyed the D'Bari System, so the connection isn't very strong, but still...it feels it knows this girl. 

Near to death, Kitty imagines she's seeing a vision of Jean Grey as the flaming woman-shape oozes through the alien metal. Delirious with horror and grief (she has been sealed into a ten-mile long coffin and hurled into the darkness of space. I'd just bet that she's frightened near to death.), she reaches out to the flaming image...and we fade to black.

Eventually, we have the Starjammers, Guardians of the Galaxy or Shi'ar Imperial Guard (or anyone else who fits the bill) encounter a being that seems like the Phoenix...but also, strangely NOT like the Phoenix. It looks like Kitty Pryde, but it wears a variation of the classic Phoenix costume. The Green/Red or White part is black, and ripples like a star field. It seems friendly, and it comes to the aid of the beings it encounters, speaking with Kitty's voice and mannerisms, but when asked who she is...it pauses...then says "That's a darn good question. I wish I knew...because it seems that I should...but all I get when I try to remember are a mass of images. A dying star...a ten-mile coffin...Five-Billion voices crying out in horror...and I think I'm one of the voices. I remember a man with red eyes...and one made of metal..."

She suddenly looks more like a lost young woman than an aspect of the Phoenix. Her eyes darken with frustration, then she smiles...and the darkness seems to leave her.

"It's not that important. What IS important is getting home. I remember wishing that I could at least die at home. And I...I think I have friends there. Does anyone know where I'm from?"

She eventually gets back to Earth, but her memories are still jumbled and confused. Was she a founding X-Man? Is she in love with Cyclops? She remembers hating Emma Frost, but also vaguely recalls that she was kind to her when she was dying. Eventually, this strange amalgam of Kitty Pryde and Jean Grey tries to restart her life on Earth.

Well? That was more or less of the top of my head, but it still seems like the sort of thing that could happen. It could eventually turn out that the REAL Kitty Pryde is either still in the bullet OR is dead, and this is just a jumble of her and Jeans memories floating around and thinking that it's Kitty. In comics, anything is possible.

For example, if rescued by the Imperial Guard, they might just lead her into thinking she's one of them. She'd recognize some of the members, and her jumbled mind may be induced to believe what they say. If so, then she may first appear to the X-Men as a foe...

"Kitty? How...?" cries Colossus as the spitting image of his dead teammate smahes him with a force bolt.

"I'm afraid you're deluded, human. I am The Phoenix...and you are under arrest, by the command of Empress Deathbird!"

And so forth...it's just a fun idea.
Vanessa Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vanessa Summers

Oh!  OHHH you are like my new best friend, John!!!    I just read this and I'm bowled over!   I mean I'd quote you, then my post would be an eternity long so I'll just say this..   Marvel Comics needs to hire you! And here I thought I was like the biggest Kitty Fan, but you and I are like right there! 

You totally get my passion for her then.  I'm not quite as old as you, but I grew up reading about Kitty.  I collected every single issue with her in it at one point and I really did feel this special kinship with her.  We had alot in common,  save the Jewish heritage and the whole mutant powers stuff...   But I really identified with her and I was hooked instantly.  And I've been a fan my whole entire life!

To have you present this idea,  I think it's a brilliant one and the more I read your post (yeah okay I read it about 5 times) the more I could see it.  Could see it being an incredible plot.  Right before her "death", she and Emma were slowly coming to a realization after their whole comic lives at odds with one another.   It was something I didn't expect to see, but once again we get to see Kitty bring out the best in someone.  

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By John_Feaster

Thanks, Vanessa! Have you ever read any of Kitty's older appearances, or do you only know her from her more modern stories? If you haven't yet, I urge you to find and read 149 through 152. They were excellent stories, and give you some great moments. Her first non-generic costume in 149 (a garish thing that could only be designed by a 13 year old), her bravery in her first real encounter with Magneto (which comes to an end when he realizes that he might have killed her...and we get our first real "Oh, my god...I'm a monster!" moment from Magneto), the saga of the Persona Exchange Gun in 151 and 152 (with Kitty and "Storm-in-the-White-Queens-body" growing closer in a Mother/Daughter way that was sweet to see.) and...if you can ever find it, try reading her 129 appearance, before she was an X-Man. She's such a REAL person!

Note: I mean find these in rough, reading copies. The mint issues would cost an arm and a leg ;>)

Kitty. Such a strong person. A girl of character and intelligence who the Marvel Universe NEEDS as an active and vital force. Not cluttering up it's windy graveyard. It's not fair. She's to clever to die.

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LexiCat

I actually owned X-Men 129 all the way up through..  wow..   I don't even remember, anymore.  I stopped collecting at the end of the 90's and I sold them.   I wish I still had them, now..   I miss all my Kitty comics.  But I remember her fight with the Brood...  I remember Fairytale Land with Bamf....  I remember Doug Ramsey's death.....    And perhaps the best comic superhero team, ever..  Excalibur.  The original Excalibur with Kitty, Kurt,  Meggan, Cap Britan, and eventually Pete Wisdom.  God..  those were some great reads.   And yes,  I am a HUGE Pryde & Wisdom fan.  I had the mini-series.   I think I read it so much the covers were coming off the books.

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By John_Feaster

Oh, Doug Ramsey! That was painful. He all but died off screen, while the rest of the team was fighting! I was stunned that the death of a non-existant person could depress me out so much. Kind of how I felt when the Beyonder brutally murdered the New Mutants...then erased them from memory. It was soon undone, but still. Yipes! That was like watching a friend beaten to death from behind one-way glass. All I could do was watch and think "Is THIS how they'll end the New Mutants? Are sales THAT bad?"

I collected comics through most of the Excalibur run. Gods, that run of Excalibur (except for all the filler issues in the middle) was perfect! I remember being shocked that Widget was actually the Future Past Katherine! I thought about it, and decided that it was cooler than I feared. What ever happened to Widget/Katherine?

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LexiCat

Ohhhh  I'm shamed to admit this, but when I got the issue where Doug died,  I cried.   It was soooo sad.   Doug and Kitty had been best friends forever and it just broke my heart.  And add on top of that Rahne's guilt for it being cause he was protecting her.   And that whole entire saga with the New Mutants..  stunned.   I was completely blown away.   I wasn't really that strongly affected by a comic moment again until Decimation and Stryker's Purifiers...    The bus explosion,  Laurie Collins' brutal execution....   yeah unhappy memories.

So you read Excalibur, too!!  That's awesome!  I know it had a loyal following,  it's just harder to find folks who remember the original Excalibur.   Kitty crushing on Cap Britan.   But him having a thing for Meggan..   Add in Kurt being all overprotective of Kitty when she began to date Wisdom.  God.. those were some seriously fun stories to read.   And I honestly don't remember what happened to Widget.  It's been so long since I read those that I've sadly forgotten alot of my knowledge.  That and getting old will do that to you.

Ripcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ripcord

Looks like you found you male counterpart, Lexi.

ChrisAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ChrisAngel

The New Mutants line used to be one of my favorites... and quite honestly Doug Ramsey was one of my favorite characters in the Marvel U. Simply because he had to use his brain and not his fists. I liked the fact that he was an intelligent superhero, more than he was a brawler. Would love the real Doug back sommehow, but being buried in a grave for years... *laughs* No chance of that.

I was reading your post John, and thing there's just one problem with that... the Shi'ar still have a major hate on for anything regarding the Phoenix, dont they?

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By John_Feaster

That's a writers lookout. If I was doing it, I'd say that...

...the Shi'ar she rescues is a minor member of the fallen Royal Family, who believes that they can use her to destroy Emperer Vulcan. He thinks that this young, trusting woman (who he recognizes. EVERY Shi'ar knows the X-Men) could make a perfect weapon...if handled right. So he assembles a team from his loyal guards, which includes ex-members of the traditional Imperial Guard. This team is chosen for their resemblance to the X-Man she remembers, and includes Nightside (Storm), Hobgoblin (Nightcrawler), Impulse (Cyclops), Neutron (Colossus) and a new Fang (Wolverine), who resemble her friends enough that she begins to believe that they ARE the people she remembers.

It doesn't help her confused mind, that the prince who is manipulating her (Thanks to a comic twist of fate) lacks the traditional head plumes of a Shi'ar, and is named "Prince Z'ayver". Kitty feels an instant connection with her teammates, and they eventually grow close to her. She leads them against the forces of Emperor Vulcan, with Kitty taking on the Jean Grey/ Phoenix role with the team. During this time, her memories become more stable, but settle with these people replacing their counterparts. She thinks of Nightside as her mother figure. Treats Hobgoblin like her brother. Looks to Impulse for leadership. Views Fang as a father surrogate, and eventually...falls in love with Neutron, just as she did with Colossus. Durring this period, the other members of the team explore their own feelings. How does Nightside feel having a pseudo-daughter? Is Hobgoblin feeling guilty about being part of this deception? Has Impulse never been a leader before? Frang growing protective? Neutron genuinly falling in love?

From that point, we can go anywhere. Perhaps they defeat Emperor Vulcan, put the pretender Z'ayver on the throne, and he then decides that even a young Phoenix is to dangerous. He tries to have her killed, but her new teammates side with her (Kitty Pryde has that effect on people) and they fight their way out, becoming wandering exiles.

OR, they encounter the Starjammers, and being confronted by Havok and Polaris causes her newly stabilized memories to crumble, transforming her into Dark Phoenix. As such, they watch in horror as she flees, her self control in a shambles...and eventually destroys the Shi'ar homeworld.

OR he keeps her close to the throne (as a symbol of his power), and she and Neutron marry. When next the X-Men encounter her, she is heavy with an alien child, and has no idea who these strangers are. 

None the less, it's always possible to work around the whole "My culture views you as evil!" concept. Our culture views nuclear weapons as evil...but we still have them. Lots of them. To the above "Prince Z'ayver", the Phoenix is nothing more than the ultimate A-Bomb. Perhaps he also likes the fear it inspires in others, when they see him issuing commands to his loyal Phoenix. And as she thinks of him in the same way that she once thought of Professor Xavier, she is willing to do almost anything he asks of her.

OR...

...it's the Kree who she encounters. They perhaps convince Kitty that she's a pink-skinned Kree, and dispatch "Captain Phoenix" against the Imperial Guard. She thinks she's a patriotic young Kree - as loyal to Ronan the Accuser as she was to Wolverine.

...it's the Skrulls who she encounters, and through guile and deception, they convince her that she's one of them. Or perhaps (her poor, shattered phyche being easy prey) she's found by old loyalists, who convince her that she's Princess Anelle or Queen R'klll - reborn from the ashes of the Galactus-devoured Skrull Homeworld - and use her as a weapon against the religious fanatics who have taken over the Skrull Empire.

Sky's the limit, man!

HEY! What ever happend to "Douglock"? Wasn't there a period where Warlock (the techno-organic one from New Mutants) and Doug had joined into a single entity? I know they used to team-up in combat, with Warlock wrapping himself around Doug like a suit of armor, but I also remember seeing some issues later where Doug and Warlock seemed to have joined into a single being that called itself "Douglock".

Man...New Mutants. I started with the Graphic Novel, and read it through to the dismal Liefeld years. Up till then, it was a good to decent read. I think back to Seline...the Demon Bear...Warlock...that was a creative and interesting book. Then again, I'm also nostalgic for Alpha Flight...

Alpha Flight. Now THAT'S a book that a seriesof middling writers raped, rolled in the mud then left for dead. I recently reread my Alpha's, and every time I read about how Puck is actually 7-feet tall, but he's got a demon in him that makes him 3'6" and immortal...or how Northstar and Aurora are actually elves...or how Roger Bochs ("Box") went from being a short, fat fellow with no legs (an actual, non-fake handicap!) to being a handsome stud, then a brain-dead appendix to Scramble... How Mac died in such a cool "I'm definatly dead!" way, only to come back again and again and again...Heather growing and growing as a character, only to be so casually tossed aside that she might have been a third-string supporting character for Darkhawk or Sleepwalker! Add in the fact that Madison Jefferies (Box 2) was WAY TOO POWERFUL. The guy could control metal! All metal! It was a cool concept...but it ment that they had to pick the Alpha's foes VERY carefully, or else they'd have to explain why Box didn't just crush Doctor Doom/The Master/The Wizard/Magneto to death in their own metalic costumes. They fought tons of non-metalic, mystical beings at this time, just so they could dodge the issue. It trapped them in a predictable cycle that limited them as opposed to inspiring the book.

Nope. Precious few good things about the later issues of Alpha Flight. If I had to pick a few, I'd say Purple Girl (later Persuasion) was an interesting character, and the bizarre (though never explored) subplot where Sasquatch came back in the body of Snowbird...which ment that his human form was now FEMALE (gender-bending is common enough these days, but in 1987 it was almost unique) was pretty interesting...though resolved poorly. And I was intrigued with the "Laura/Goblyn" dynamic.

Ah...and now, the only founding charater is Sasquatch...who was always the most boring, predictable member of the team.

What a waste. If I were writing that franchise, I'd bring back as many of the older members as I logicaly could, have them be independent operatives as opposed to yet another bunch of easily-manipulated government agents, and try to NEVER MENTION THE "WEAPON X" PROGRAM AGAIN! That mine is all played out...period! It's become a joke! I'd also avoid any "Department H" plots for a year or so. I might have Arachne join the team as it's resident American expatriot.

Just what this has to do with Kitty I'll never know. Sorry...sleepy.
zerogee0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zerogee0

A giant magic bullet that  is shoot thought the plant, really!!  what the f*** ? who's coming up stuff !!!  a 4th grader. And then maybe or maybe not kill off the of the best hero's stan dude what's going on man.

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By John_Feaster
zerogee0 said:
A giant magic bullet that  is shoot thought the plant, really!!  what the f*** ? who's coming up stuff !!!  ... [more]

Well, she's not so much "Dead" as "Missing in Action" right now. She's like Shrodingers Cat, if you will. She's in the bullet and out of sight. She might be alive or dead.
oobernerd98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By oobernerd98

OMG, John you are an effing genius! Holy crap! i would like to see more on Neutron and her getting married, lol

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By John_Feaster
@oobernerd98: 
   Thanks, I was trying to think of creative ways to reintroduce her into continuity. I'd just like to see her back and in one piece. At least I'v got Wolverine First Class to tide me over.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.