Why the hate for Ellen Page's Kitty?

• 59 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6db392de0cb
#1 Posted by deactivated-5d6db392de0cb (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does everyone seem to hate Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde so much? I thought that she was a perfect casting choice, and felt exactly like the comics to me. She was one of the few good parts from the Last Stand....

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio

People don't like change... but worse yet, people don't like it when another girl steals Rogue's boyfriend ;)   

I genuinely think it's not the actress or the performance that people hate.  It's the role.

#3 Posted by Akongo (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellen Page is everything.

#4 Edited by John Valentine (16466 posts) - - Show Bio

She was fine, one of the better bits of that movie!

#5 Posted by jordama (4701 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know she was on the list of movie complaints. She was huge for a while, and has been fading since X3
#6 Posted by Magian (153144 posts) - - Show Bio

She was good.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23389 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellen Page was the highlight of that crapfest of a film. 

Cyclops dying in the first 15 minutes? An X-Men film without Cyclops is like a Batman film without Alfred, Gordon, the Batmobile or Gotham City.

#8 Posted by riri4life (7684 posts) - - Show Bio
@Akongo said:
"

Ellen Page is everything.

"
#9 Posted by CellphoneGirl (19119 posts) - - Show Bio

With all the crap they pulled in that movie, she was one of the major highlights in it.

#10 Posted by rachelremedy (9 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" People don't like change... but worse yet, people don't like it when another girl steals Rogue's boyfriend ;)    I genuinely think it's not the actress or the performance that people hate.  It's the role. "
Nailed it.
Rogue fans felt sorry for the way Bobby seemed to be pushing her aside because of Kitty, this led to a lot of people hating the character.
#11 Posted by TheBlueAngel93 (21064 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved her as Kitty, my only complaint is that she couldn't have been cast in the earlier movies. v__v

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

She just had the misfortune to be in Xmen 3

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
#13 Edited by FortressoftheMoon (685 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't have a problem with Ellen Page as Shadowcat . hell I was pissed they didnt go more in depth with her character.  

Oh yeah i was one of the people who didn't think she was stealing Rogue's boyfriend. Bobby keeps coming in her face asking to do this and that. Kitty just took it as Bobby was being a friend. If anyone paid attention you can see that she was looking as Bobby like an older brother she never had. Most of the time in movie Kitty was just hanging out and going with the flow. Close to the end in the blackbird when everyone was getting for the mission, Kitty was just sitting there thinking about not messing up. Hell Kitty nor Bobby didnt even sit together. Kitty didn't look over to Bobby and be like "oooh this might our first and last mission togther. i wish i would have kissed you on the frozen water fountain. I just want you to know I-I-I love you. Kiss me! Nom nom nom"

Rogue was just being a jealous ass making things complicated. To be honest I didn't really see Bobby do anything wrong. he was trying to be the good boyfriend but Rogue kept pushing him away so he got the hell out of dodge and went to someone else who appreciate his company and kept it plutonic. Kitty was no fool, she also saw what's going on. She knew that Bobby was going thru some shit and they used each other as comfort blankets to get by until Rogue could come back acting right.

That is the problem with Bryan Singer he has his head up his ass so much that he doesn't realize with the changes he makes really messes up a movie. If had just stuck with Kitty and Colossus romance in the first two and bump Rogue and iceman trying to do something, the poor girl wouldnt get heat she doesn't deserve at all.   

One more thing I do think the chick who played Kitty in the first movie was more attractive than one from 2nd one and Ellen Page. I like Ellen Page and I think she is sort of attractive but I feel they should have stuck with the first one. That's just me.

#14 Posted by rachelremedy (9 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon said:
"Kitty didn't look over to Bobby and be like "oooh this might our first and last mission togther. i wish i would have kissed you on the frozen water fountain. I just want you to know I-I-I love you. Kiss me! Nom nom nom"
Epic. xD
#15 Posted by KZR (504 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked her as Kitty Pryde. 

#16 Posted by frogjitsu (497 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon:   Yeah, I wished they gave her more screen time.  She was one of the few highlights of the film.
#17 Posted by IrishX (2870 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon:
Nice. 

I also liked her playing the role of Kitty.
#18 Posted by The WeatherMan (3261 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellen Page is gorgeous. She fit the role, but was in a crappy movie.

#19 Posted by eter (369 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellen Page as Kitty was really amazing.
#20 Posted by Mr.Mackit (7 posts) - - Show Bio

That girl who did the brief Jubilee role in the first film was pretty hot.

#21 Posted by Overkill (421 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate? She was the best thing in that crappy movie.

#22 Posted by craigbo180 (198 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. It was good casting.

#23 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" it's not the actress or the performance that people hate.  It's the role. "
This
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
#24 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19151 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never heard anyone say they hated Ellen Page as Kitty.

I enjoyed here.
#25 Posted by Kairan1979 (27641 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked her as Kitty Pryde. Especially the whole Juggernaut chase.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#26 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23389 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" I've never heard anyone say they hated Ellen Page as Kitty.
I enjoyed here.
"
I'd go one further.
I've never heard anyone say they hated Ellen Page as anything.
#27 Posted by Aiden Cross (15726 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like her, but I didn't dislike her either.

#28 Posted by sputnik (210 posts) - - Show Bio

i think she was really pretty good. you know, the kick ass but still fun type of girl.

#29 Posted by the_stegman (40418 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said: 

I enjoyed here.
"
I'd go one further. 
agreed, seriously how CAN you hate her??
#30 Posted by Pepsiguy2 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@FortressoftheMoon said:

I didn't have a problem with Ellen Page as Shadowcat . hell I was pissed they didnt go more in depth with her character.  

Oh yeah i was one of the people who didn't think she was stealing Rogue's boyfriend. Bobby keeps coming in her face asking to do this and that. Kitty just took it as Bobby was being a friend. If anyone paid attention you can see that she was looking as Bobby like an older brother she never had. Most of the time in movie Kitty was just hanging out and going with the flow. Close to the end in the blackbird when everyone was getting for the mission, Kitty was just sitting there thinking about not messing up. Hell Kitty nor Bobby didnt even sit together. Kitty didn't look over to Bobby and be like "oooh this might our first and last mission togther. i wish i would have kissed you on the frozen water fountain. I just want you to know I-I-I love you. Kiss me! Nom nom nom"

Rogue was just being a jealous ass making things complicated. To be honest I didn't really see Bobby do anything wrong. he was trying to be the good boyfriend but Rogue kept pushing him away so he got the hell out of dodge and went to someone else who appreciate his company and kept it plutonic. Kitty was no fool, she also saw what's going on.

Dude, you are amazing. I love you now.
#31 Posted by Kairan1979 (27641 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon said:
Rogue was just being a jealous ass making things complicated. To be honest I didn't really see Bobby do anything wrong. he was trying to be the good boyfriend but Rogue kept pushing him away so he got the hell out of dodge and went to someone else who appreciate his company and kept it plutonic. Kitty was no fool, she also saw what's going on. She knew that Bobby was going thru some shit and they used each other as comfort blankets to get by until Rogue could come back acting right.
I agree.
#32 Posted by Samimista (22297 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked her she did a good job playing Kitty.

#33 Posted by jubilee042 (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

People don't like change... but worse yet, people don't like it when another girl steals Rogue's boyfriend ;) I genuinely think it's not the actress or the performance that people hate. It's the role.

what she said

#34 Posted by Timandm (3393 posts) - - Show Bio

@FortressoftheMoon said:

I didn't have a problem with Ellen Page as Shadowcat . hell I was pissed they didnt go more in depth with her character.

Oh yeah i was one of the people who didn't think she was stealing Rogue's boyfriend. Bobby keeps coming in her face asking to do this and that. Kitty just took it as Bobby was being a friend. If anyone paid attention you can see that she was looking as Bobby like an older brother she never had. Most of the time in movie Kitty was just hanging out and going with the flow. Close to the end in the blackbird when everyone was getting for the mission, Kitty was just sitting there thinking about not messing up. Hell Kitty nor Bobby didnt even sit together. Kitty didn't look over to Bobby and be like "oooh this might our first and last mission togther. i wish i would have kissed you on the frozen water fountain. I just want you to know I-I-I love you. Kiss me! Nom nom nom"

Rogue was just being a jealous ass making things complicated. To be honest I didn't really see Bobby do anything wrong. he was trying to be the good boyfriend but Rogue kept pushing him away so he got the hell out of dodge and went to someone else who appreciate his company and kept it plutonic. Kitty was no fool, she also saw what's going on. She knew that Bobby was going thru some shit and they used each other as comfort blankets to get by until Rogue could come back acting right.

That is the problem with Bryan Singer he has his head up his ass so much that he doesn't realize with the changes he makes really messes up a movie. If had just stuck with Kitty and Colossus romance in the first two and bump Rogue and iceman trying to do something, the poor girl wouldnt get heat she doesn't deserve at all.

One more thing I do think the chick who played Kitty in the first movie was more attractive than one from 2nd one and Ellen Page. I like Ellen Page and I think she is sort of attractive but I feel they should have stuck with the first one. That's just me.

I know you made this comment five months ago but this is the first time I've seen it... so...

I'm guessing you haven't seen the 'extended' version of the movie where Bobby and Kitty kiss? Out on the ice...

I agree with you about sticking with the first actress. I think Ellen Page is great, I just don't think she'd played Kitty right... Kitty is supposed to be a genius (literally), and is just very different then what Ellen Page portrayed. But to be fair, Kitty (Ellen) really didn't get much air time to develop the character...

#35 Posted by fifichiapet (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Rouge fans had more to be upset about--primarily for the fact that the movie version didn't do justice to the character at all. She was horribley miscast and conceptualized since the first movie.

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
#36 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (685 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:

@FortressoftheMoon said:

I didn't have a problem with Ellen Page as Shadowcat . hell I was pissed they didnt go more in depth with her character.

Oh yeah i was one of the people who didn't think she was stealing Rogue's boyfriend. Bobby keeps coming in her face asking to do this and that. Kitty just took it as Bobby was being a friend. If anyone paid attention you can see that she was looking as Bobby like an older brother she never had. Most of the time in movie Kitty was just hanging out and going with the flow. Close to the end in the blackbird when everyone was getting for the mission, Kitty was just sitting there thinking about not messing up. Hell Kitty nor Bobby didnt even sit together. Kitty didn't look over to Bobby and be like "oooh this might our first and last mission togther. i wish i would have kissed you on the frozen water fountain. I just want you to know I-I-I love you. Kiss me! Nom nom nom"

Rogue was just being a jealous ass making things complicated. To be honest I didn't really see Bobby do anything wrong. he was trying to be the good boyfriend but Rogue kept pushing him away so he got the hell out of dodge and went to someone else who appreciate his company and kept it plutonic. Kitty was no fool, she also saw what's going on. She knew that Bobby was going thru some shit and they used each other as comfort blankets to get by until Rogue could come back acting right.

That is the problem with Bryan Singer he has his head up his ass so much that he doesn't realize with the changes he makes really messes up a movie. If had just stuck with Kitty and Colossus romance in the first two and bump Rogue and iceman trying to do something, the poor girl wouldnt get heat she doesn't deserve at all.

I know you made this comment five months ago but this is the first time I've seen it... so...

I'm guessing you haven't seen the 'extended' version of the movie where Bobby and Kitty kiss? Out on the ice...

I agree with you about sticking with the first actress. I think Ellen Page is great, I just don't think she'd played Kitty right... Kitty is supposed to be a genius (literally), and is just very different then what Ellen Page portrayed. But to be fair, Kitty (Ellen) really didn't get much air time to develop the character...

An extended cut? When was that put out? Far as I understand Ratner said that the theatrical version was the only one. I have heard that there are extra scenese but unconfirmed, Like after the Professor and Moria scene at the end credits,  Cyclops is also found unconscious in some ragtag hospital then he open his eyes and the screen goes red.  

#37 Posted by valencourt (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellen Page - an amazing actress playing Kitty Pryde - an amazing character.

What's not to love?!

#38 Posted by Soulstealer (828 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

She just had the misfortune to be in Xmen 3

Agreed. T_T

#39 Posted by Joygirl (21036 posts) - - Show Bio

Jubilee was in the first movie? Pics? And I didn't hate EP... didn't like her either though, she seemed a bit bland. I'm used to Kitty Pryde being a little more bubbly.

#40 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

She was awesome.

#41 Posted by kidchipotle (15767 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:

I enjoyed here.
"
I'd go one further.
agreed, seriously how CAN you hate her??

This wins the thread

#42 Posted by vance_astro (90093 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellen Page>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YOU.

#43 Posted by X35 (6465 posts) - - Show Bio

I was talking about this with another user i really liked page as kitty. i thought she kinda worked well as Kitty. whenever i read kitty i always heard a voice like that. Kitty's the kinda dorky girl who can also dish out total sass and I think that's why page just fits the mold for kitty. she's one of those girls who's adorable and really pretty in that respect but not straight-on pretty, she's like the ultimate dorky girl next door.

#44 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Ellen Page and I love Kitty. Anybody who has a problem with it should burn.

#45 Posted by xmenfallen (1557 posts) - - Show Bio

yah i agree it was her role. not the actress was wrong..... ellen was wonderful

#46 Posted by a0040pc (674 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought she did well as Kitty Pryde. But personally I would have actually prefered to see Summer Glau as Kitty Pryde (She actually did audition for the role). One thing I would have liked about Summer Glau playing Kitty was that she was closer to the character's actually height and build. Kitty Pryde is around 5'6 and has Black belt fighting skills, Summer Glau is roughly that height (I believe she's a little taller) and as seen in Firefly and Terminator she can kick ass as well. Ellen Page is only 5'1 and I doubt she could really fight.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
#47 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (12163 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not think Ellen Page did a bad job, I just think the script didn't work with the character

#48 Posted by x_29 (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

Not hate, but disappointment within the script for her character in the movie.

#49 Posted by sputnik (210 posts) - - Show Bio

page rocked kitty. one of the few good things in the last movie, honestly.

#50 Posted by vance_astro (90093 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Ellen Page but I don't even remember her as Kitty.Jean Grey was pretty much the only thing I remember from that god awful film.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.