Follow

Kitty Pryde

Character » Kitty Pryde appears in 6445 issues.

Kitty Pryde (a.k.a. Shadowcat) is a mutant gifted with the ability to become intangible and phase her entire body through solid material. A talented prodigy, she became the poster child of the X-Men; eventually reaching maturation and becoming the team's current leader.

Who wrote the best Kitty/Colossus relationship?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Which writer do you think wrote the best Kitty/Colossus relationship? I think Joss Whedon had a brilliant grasp on their relationship, making them work out their problems and uniting with each other in the end of the story, even though Kitty is shot through the bullet at the end of that run. Chris Claremont pretty much started the whole relationship between them.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jordama

I think Whedon was the one that really fleshed it out and made it special. Before that wasn't it only hinted at, and after whedon it never really got a chance to be anything.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@jordama said:

I think Whedon was the one that really fleshed it out and made it special. Before that wasn't it only hinted at, and after whedon it never really got a chance to be anything.

I definitely agree that Joss Whedon actually made their relationship mean something. It's like after Joss Whedon left X-Men, the other writers just automatically broke them up without a good reason and we never seen their relationship develop further than what Joss Whedon had developed. This disappointed me because Joss Whedon did a brilliant job on writing their relationship and all of a sudden, another writer had to come in and ruin their relationship. It just made me so mad!

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jordama

@Rabbitearsblog: I don't know if I would say ruin, I think made more sense to separate them now. With Colossus going all Juggs, i don't see them being able to stay together.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@jordama said:

@Rabbitearsblog: I don't know if I would say ruin, I think made more sense to separate them now. With Colossus going all Juggs, i don't see them being able to stay together.

I thought that the Juggernaut incident did come on a bit abruptly which was why I was upset at their breakup because they just got back together and all of a sudden, they broke up. Now, if they had time to develop the idea that their relationship was falling apart from the beginning, then I probably would have been okay with them breaking up for awhile.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Bump.

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

Joss Whedon. I think that the Kitty/Colossus attraction was cute before it, but it wasn't really all that fleshed out. Joss Whedon added substance to it and really showed how well the two characters worked together. There were some darling moments between them during his run on Astonishing which highlighted cute awkwardness of their interactions. That was what really made made the relationship so fun to begin with.

I don't think that anyone else has been able to handle the relationship as well after that. All the other writers have simply added obstacles between the characters, thinking that it's the angst and unfulfilled passion that keeps them fresh & interesting, but it really isn't. As far as their relationship is concerned, I think Kitty and Colossus are at their best when they're happily together. They're not one of those comic book couples who are only interesting when they're miserable.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@MyraMyraMyra said:

Joss Whedon. I think that the Kitty/Colossus attraction was cute before it, but it wasn't really all that fleshed out. Joss Whedon added substance to it and really showed how well the two characters worked together. There were some darling moments between them during his run on Astonishing which highlighted cute awkwardness of their interactions. That was what really made made the relationship so fun to begin with.

I don't think that anyone else has been able to handle the relationship as well after that. All the other writers have simply added obstacles between the characters, thinking that it's the angst and unfulfilled passion that keeps them fresh & interesting, but it really isn't. As far as their relationship is concerned, I think Kitty and Colossus are at their best when they're happily together. They're not one of those comic book couples who are only interesting when they're miserable.

I definitely agree with everything you said! I think that Joss Whedon did a brilliant job at detailing their awkwardness at first, but made them into a truly loving couple throughout his run on Astonishing. It's those precious moments between a really good couple that makes their relationships so interesting to look at, not constantly breaking up the couples just for the sake of drama. I really was upset at how they just broke up Kitty and Colossus after Whedon's run because it was too abrupt and I was actually starting to think that they had a chance at happiness after Whedon's run.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.