Follow

Kitty Pryde

Character » Kitty Pryde appears in 6444 issues.

Kitty Pryde (a.k.a. Shadowcat) is a mutant gifted with the ability to become intangible and phase her entire body through solid material. A talented prodigy, she became the poster child of the X-Men; eventually reaching maturation and becoming the team's current leader.

When did her powers evolve so far?

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By John_Feaster

This isn't about phasing a ten-mile long and two-mile wide bullet of alien metal. That's actually simple enough. I mean, this IS a comic book.

No...I mean when did she gain the ability to phase without having to breath.  She couldn't phase through that much metal - or for that matter, that much of anything solid - on a single breath. I'm going to suggest that she may have learned to sift breathable oxygen from matter as she passes through it. But...is this an ability she had before Joss wrote her?

Also, she'd aparently learned a REALLY coot trick where she could keep herself in phase while unphasing one part of her (punching Emma in the face while the rest of her body was still phased), and I have no problem with that. I mean, powers evolve. I can easily imagine her learning how to do this sort of stuff.

But does anyone know WHEN she learned it? Or, was it just all Joss? Did Joss evolve her powers, or did he just not understand them?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Was she breathing while phasing?  I have to admit, I don't remember it.  I know she travelled long distances underground, but I thought she still had to come up for air... ??

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sling Shot

I like your attention to detail! I'm gonna assume Joss took artistic liberties seeing as how I don't recall any reference to the expansion of her abilities in dialouge or narrative.

I.E. He didn't care how they worked exactly.

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Psychotime

I never looked at her powers that way. Huh.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By fesak  Moderator

She's always been able to phase partially, but she's never been able to breathe while phasing.
    Though now that i think about it how did she survive when she was stuck in phase after the Morlock Massacre?

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Watch Dog

She can breathe while phasing just not while phased in a solid object in cases such as that she has to hold her breth

zerogee0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zerogee0

In the uncannyxmen.net  bio. kitty does not have to hold her breathe, her powers are ephemeral  which is like a eleco magnetic repulsion force field that allow her to pass through solid objects.

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hawk

If she is phased...air would pass through her....so by the very act of phasing you don't have to breath.

honeybunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By honeybunch
    @Hawk:

Except that's not how it works in the comics. 

Anyhow, as long as she's phasing through air, there's no reason she couldn't phase some air as it comes into her mouth and move it down into her lungs, enabling her to breathe while phased. 

So, yeah.  She has to breathe while phased, and it makes sense that she's able to breathe while phasing through air. 
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By John_Feaster
    Sling Shot said:
    I like your attention to detail! I'm gonna assume Joss took artistic liberties seeing as how I don't recall any ... [more]

@xerox-kitty said:
    "Was she breathing while phasing?  I have to admit, I don't remember it.  I know she travelled long distances underground, but I thought she still had to come up for air... ?? "

Yeah, Joss was more about story and characterization than details like that. The problem is...that the scene where she stonped the crap out of Emma was so EMPOWERING! I mean, this is the woman she thinks (thought) of when she thinks (thought) of EVIL, and she took her down in a suprise attack quite efficiently. I'm willing to believe that she'd just learned to do it after years of training and practice. But still, it was doubtless just a error on his part. 

And while she might have been able to take quick breaths as she phased through caverns and pockets in the ground, she phased though miles of the bullets alien metal without breathing. But, as I said...perhaps she's learned to filter oxygen from the substances she phases through. I can't know, and the next writer (oh, please bring her back soon!) might either ignore it, or say her abilities were "damaged" from prolonged contact with the bullets alien metal, and she can't do that anymore.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By umbrafeline

she gained knowledge and use of the force from yoda, obi-wan and luke:P
    Konton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Konton

Well, Ogun transfered all of his fighting knowledge into her when she was possessed and all signs point to her not losing that information. This newer stuff isn't exactly newer to Kitty anyway. If you thought her Emma fight was impressive, check out her fight with Wolverine ("Death"). She was beating the crap out of him with duel Katana. He only won because he outsmarted her by stabbing her solid foot.

yang777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yang777
    @John_Feaster said:
    "   Also, she'd aparently learned a REALLY coot trick where she could keep herself in phase while unphasing one part of her (punching Emma in the face while the rest of her body was still phased), and I have no problem with that. I mean, powers evolve. I can easily imagine her learning how to do this sort of stuff."
    I don't think this is new really. In Days of Future Past, future Kitty (in present Kitty's body) phases through Mystique while pushing her gun to make her miss.
    charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By charlieboy

yeah kitty has been able to make part solid and part phased for years. i believe one of the first instaces i saw was in excalibur. the team was fighting whoever they were fighting at the time and the guy was punching through kitty while she punched him. as for the breathing. kitty has always had to hold her breath while phasing long distances through solid objects. otherwise she breathes normally while phased. i don't know why she did not have to hold her breath during whedon's run.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ae6527167c26
    deactivated-5ae6527167c26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is current Kitty's abilities

dami24434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@03S7: current kitty is a badass h2h fighter and can even time bullets with eass, so she's up there with characters like psylocke in h2h.

as for her phasing powers, the best I've seen from her was her phasing a skyscraper X men gold #1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae6527167c26
    deactivated-5ae6527167c26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dami24434: damn alright so she probably couldn't hang with Kenshiro

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.