What Affects Her While Phased?

Avatar image for honeybunch
#1 Posted by honeybunch (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I know she's resistant to psychic abilities while phased.  I also know that she's immune to physical attacks and most energy attacks. 

She also seems to be unaffected by gravity while phasing, or else the "walking on air" she can do would be impossible. 

However, I'm not sure about things like magnetism.  If she was carrying something metallic, like a sword or electronic device, would Magneto be able to take control of it? 

She's obviously also affected by light (seeing as she's visible, so the light's reflecting off her).  Does that mean that lasers could hurt her?  How about Cyclop's eyebeams?  Granted, they're beams of kinetic force, but they seem to have light-like properties.  For instance, he can bounce them off reflective surfaces. 

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm going to be playing this character in a sort of role playing game in the future, and these sorts of issues might come up.  I'm wondering if anyone here with more comic knowledge than I have might know the answers to these questions. 

Thanks. 

Avatar image for pixelized
#2 Posted by pixelized (49085 posts) - - Show Bio

She's resistant to Psychic attacks???? In Astonishing, Emma had her under the illusion that someone was trying to take the baby she and Colossus never had away

Avatar image for zoom
#3 Posted by Zoom (14751 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty has been electrocuted and hit by Magneto (magnetism?  more electrocution?) while phased.

She's also vulnerable to radiation.

I always thought the psi resistance while phased was dumb.  I wouldn't be surprised if somebody handwaved it.

Avatar image for fluke_buddha
#4 Posted by Fluke-buddha (662 posts) - - Show Bio

Way back in Age of Apocalypse Husk turned into an acid that could hurt her. 

 I believe electro magnetism can effect her as well.   Since magnetism isn't a physical attack, I don't think her power protects her from this. 

I don't think lasers effect her though, since they are used in the Danger Room and she has phased through them in the past.  Though they are many types of lasers, so some of them may work on her.


Avatar image for honeybunch
#5 Posted by honeybunch (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh. 

The resistance to physic powers makes perfect sense to me.  She phases through lots of energy attacks, so why would she not be able to phase through "psychic energy"?  Magneto has a helmet that can block it.  I see no reason why Kitty shouldn't be able to phase through it. 

But a lot of her powers don't make a lot of sense to me. 

She can be electrocuted, but she phases through (and shorts out) electrical systems all the time with no ill effects.  That's a little weird, considering that there must be a lot of power going through those Sentinels. 

As for lasers not affecting her, that really doesn't make sense either.  She reflects all the colors the human eye can see, so obviously she doesn't phase through visible light.  Therefore, any laser that would be visible should affect her.   If she can phase herself through light, then she should have the power to turn invisible. 

Oh well.  I guess I'll just have to attribute this to comic book science and the differing interpretations of the different writers who have written the comics she was in over the years.  Still, I wish the books were a little more consistent. 

Avatar image for sunman
#6 Posted by SUNMAN (8609 posts) - - Show Bio

extreme heats and stuff should affect her as well

Avatar image for zoom
#7 Posted by Zoom (14751 posts) - - Show Bio

@honeybunch

Because there isn't such a thing as psychic energy?  If Professor X wants in her head, I don't see why the physical attributes of it have anything to do with the matter.

I agree that the electricution thing is odd, considering her whole disrupt machines shtick but I've seen her get electrocuted.

Avatar image for warlock2792
#8 Posted by WARLOCK2792 (18072 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
@honeybunchBecause there isn't such a thing as psychic energy?  If Professor X wants in her head, I don't see why ... [more]
If she has been electrocuted by PEOPLE, that makes sense.  If it was by machines, then it was PIS
Avatar image for honeybunch
#9 Posted by honeybunch (6 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
@honeybunchBecause there isn't such a thing as psychic energy?  If Professor X wants in her head, I don't see why ... [more]
White Mage said:
Zoom said: @honeybunchBecause there isn't such a thing as psychic energy?  If Professor X wants in her head, I don't ... [more]

Really, I don't think it makes much sense either way.  She disrupts circuitry.  That means she disrupts the flow of electrons through the circuitry.  That means she disrupts the flow of electricity. 

When lightning zaps through the air?  Electrons are flowing from air molecule to air molecule.  Kitty Pryde should disrupt that flow.  It makes absolutely no sense that she could be electrocuted. 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Pryde#Powers_and_abilities

"The use of her abilities also interferes with any electrical systems (including, in some stories, the bio-electric systems of the human body), as she passes through by disrupting the flow of electrons from atom to atom."

And, really, she should always screw up the brain and nervous system of the human body, too.  It's just a different kind of circuitry. 

That's yet another aspect of her power that doesn't make sense, unless she can turn her "electronic disruption" on and off. 
Avatar image for sunman
#10 Posted by SUNMAN (8609 posts) - - Show Bio

yea her powers don't make perfect sense, it all depends on what the writer wants to do and how they tweak her powers.

Avatar image for zoom
#11 Posted by Zoom (14751 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a person using an electro sword.  I don't know your stance on that, WM. XD

Avatar image for mrmiracle77
#12 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1673 posts) - - Show Bio

She can suffocate while walking through solid or liquid matter.

As for her ability to walk normally while phased, I'd suspect that she can 'unphase' the thinnest bottom layer of her feet subconsciously.  So her feet stick in place as she walks.

Avatar image for pixelized
#13 Posted by pixelized (49085 posts) - - Show Bio
MrMiracle77 said:
She can suffocate while walking through solid or liquid matter.As for her ability to walk normally while phased, I'd suspect ... [more]
wouldn't that hurt her if someone ran through her [literally], or she walked through a wall?
Avatar image for paragon
#14 Posted by Paragon (7283 posts) - - Show Bio

She also as trouble with Adamantium, since one time when she tried to phase through Wolverine, it really hurt her.

Avatar image for warlock2792
#15 Posted by WARLOCK2792 (18072 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
It was a person using an electro sword.  I don't know your stance on that, WM. XD
....................I'm really not sure. lol

At first, I sorta thought of it like Polaris.  Energies that she can take on directly can harm her if they are manipulated in an unnatural fashion.
Avatar image for zoom
#16 Posted by Zoom (14751 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, it was Deathverine.

Avatar image for warlock2792
#17 Posted by WARLOCK2792 (18072 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
Nah, it was Deathverine.
BULL................SH*T
Avatar image for push
#18 Posted by Push (1558 posts) - - Show Bio

A naked male?

Avatar image for honeybunch
#19 Posted by honeybunch (6 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
@honeybunchBecause there isn't such a thing as psychic energy?  If Professor X wants in her head, I don't see why ... [more]

Huh.  I thought I'd replied to this earlier, but I guess I screwed it up somehow. 

Anyhow, psychic abilities in the Marvel universe can be affected by a number of physical factors.  Magneto's helmet is purely physical, but it blocks psychic interference.  Additionally, Magneto has been able to disrupt psychic communication on a global scale by screwing around with the earth's magnetic field. 

I don't care whether you call it "psychic energy" or not, but there's obviously something there that can be interfered with. 

It's not such a leap from there to assume that Kitty Pryde's phasing can also interfere with psychic abilities directed at her. 
Avatar image for mrmiracle77
#20 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1673 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
MrMiracle77 said: She can suffocate while walking through solid or liquid matter.As for her ability to walk normally while phased, ... [more]

It could.  She's been shown as holding her breath as she phases, which means the air in her lungs is phased with the rest of her.
Avatar image for john_feaster
#21 Posted by John_Feaster (359 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
Kitty has been electrocuted and hit by Magneto (magnetism?  more electrocution?) while phased.She's also vulnerable to radiation.I always thought the ... [more]


    The electrocution was a special case, I think. But yeah...it's possible it was a once in a life time thing.

   Now, the psi resistance evolved over time. While phased she was hard to mentaly detect as far back as Excalibur, and later she was somewhat resistant to (but not immune to) such attacks. The fight with Emma Frost went her way because her attack was so brutal it took her by suprise, and when she dragged her into the ground and held her half-in and half-out of the cave wall, she told Emma that if she even imagined Emma was in her head...she let her go inside the wall.

   It's best to assume that if Kitty's phased, she's immune to attack or detection from minor mentalists like Mindwave or Magneto (does he still have his low-level telepathy, or was that ret-conned out of existance?), but not Karma, pre-M-Day Mirage or Emma Frost...who detected her even though she was phased and out of sight. When phased, it's harder (but not impossible) for a mentalist or psychic to get a hold of her mind. When Emma took control of her and made her think she'd had a child and been betrayed by the X-Men, she wasn't phased.

   Charles Xavier, Mastermind and the Shadow King wouldn't have much trouble, no matter what.

Avatar image for angelfrost
#22 Posted by AngelFrost (2850 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
She's resistant to Psychic attacks???? In Astonishing, Emma had her under the illusion that someone was trying to take the ... [more]
She's only resistant to psychic attacks when she's in her phasing state,  but she can be affected when in her normal form.
- Because technically, theres no brain to manipulate while in her phased state.
Avatar image for curly82
#23 Posted by curly82 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG i have just finnished reading Essential X-Men 182 and our Shaddow cat is gone - trapped inside a massive bullet (which she bonded with - so would appear she is vulnerable to something) made from the metal that she freed Colossus from Ord of the Breakworld.
Avatar image for pixelized
#24 Posted by pixelized (49085 posts) - - Show Bio
@curly82 said:
" OMG i have just finnished reading Essential X-Men 182 and our Shaddow cat is gone - trapped inside a massive bullet (which she bonded with - so would appear she is vulnerable to something) made from the metal that she freed Colossus from Ord of the Breakworld. "
yes she said it drains her to phase through, it's too dense or something, i don't remember
Avatar image for yang777
#25 Posted by yang777 (7 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:

" She's resistant to Psychic attacks???? In Astonishing, Emma had her under the illusion that someone was trying to take the baby she and Colossus never had away "

I believe that was Cassandra Nova actually.  I was hoping it was Emma though, because then she would have been evil again.
 
  @SUNMAN said:

" extreme heats and stuff should affect her as well "

hmm, I seem to remember her phasing underground past some magma in Whedon's run, but I can't recall exactly...
Avatar image for yang777
#26 Posted by yang777 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I read a description once that said she phases by magnetically vibrating her molecules to fit in between the spaces of other molecules with the "magnetic" part causing the side effect of disrupting electronics (it's in a comic book so it doesn't have to make scientific sense I guess). So she doesn't necessarily turn all intangible or parts of herself intangible and leave other parts tangible. With this description she merely chooses whether she wants to vibrate her molecules through something or not as she comes in contact with it. So she can phase through a bullet by vibrating her molecules through the spaces between the bullet's molecules, but still stand on the floor because she didn't try to slip into the spaces of the floor's molecules with her molecular vibrations. 
 
That sounds really confusing, but every writer seems to imagine her power's implementation in their own way.

Avatar image for magian
#27 Posted by Magian (153098 posts) - - Show Bio

She can be hit by magic. If I remember well, she has been hit by a demon while phased.

Online
Avatar image for tyciol
#28 Edited by tyciol (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@zoom said:

Kitty has been electrocuted and hit by Magneto (magnetism? more electrocution?) while phased.

She's also vulnerable to radiation.

Does this refer to the icicle incident described by Cyke in 2015 in http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?43903-Frieza-Vs-Magneto&p=1281287&viewfull=1#post1281287 ?

"I remember one battle where Shadowcat snuck up behind him and tried to phase-impale him with a huge icicle, but once the icicle phased through, Magneto electrocuted her through the icicle because it was made of water. Nevermind that it was still phased, or that Shadowcat's form disrupts electrical energy by default, or that part of the icicle was still phased in him when he interrupted her attack and de-phased her. Because, as you say, MAGNETS."

Thanks to http://www.magnetowasright.com/pages/analysis/the-science-of-magneto.php "dissipating the water of an icicle Kitty speared through his chest in X-Men Vol. 2 #87" I was able to locate the instance on page 12.

No Caption Provided

"DID YOU THINK SOLIDIFYING A PHASED SHAFT OF ICE COULD HURT ME? I CAN DISPERSE THE ICE INTO HYDROGEN AND OXYGEN WITHIN MY CHEST -- AND USE THE WATER MOLECULES OF THE SHAFT ITSELF TO CONDUCT AN ELECTROSTATIC CHARGE!"

Looks like she's probably unconscious or something....

Also interested in issue/page for the radiation instance. Can Shadowcat get sunburned while intangible?

@fluke_buddha said:

Way back in Age of Apocalypse Husk turned into an acid that could hurt her.

I believe electro magnetism can effect her as well. Since magnetism isn't a physical attack, I don't think her power protects her from this.

I don't think lasers effect her though, since they are used in the Danger Room and she has phased through them in the past. Though they are many types of lasers, so some of them may work on her.

Which issue had this "acid that can harm intangibles" Husk transform? Sounds important. Does your reference to electromagnetism mean the above-mentioned "icicle in magneto" incident?

@honeybunch said:

She can be electrocuted, but she phases through (and shorts out) electrical systems all the time with no ill effects. That's a little weird, considering that there must be a lot of power going through those Sentinels.

As for lasers not affecting her, that really doesn't make sense either. She reflects all the colors the human eye can see, so obviously she doesn't phase through visible light. Therefore, any laser that would be visible should affect her. If she can phase herself through light, then she should have the power to turn invisible.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to attribute this to comic book science and the differing interpretations of the different writers who have written the comics she was in over the years. Still, I wish the books were a little more consistent.

When has she been electrocuted? Is it possible that disrupting electrical systems without being harmed requires her focus/awareness and that if caught unaware, it harms her because she cannot manage the energy?

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/47-colours-of-light indicates a laser causing the color red on you is because your body absorbs blue/violet

This is somewhat complicated by the color of clothing that she is able to turn intangible with her. Having pale skin is a bonus. Someone with pure black skin would be absorbing all wavelengths of visible light, someone with pure white skin would be reflecting all wavelengths of visible light.

It might be that her power somehow results in absorbing light without being damaged by it though. Perhaps that helps to power her abilities?

@zoom said:

@honeybunch

I've seen her get electrocuted.

@zoom said:

It was a person using an electro sword. I don't know your stance on that, WM. XD

Who? What issue/page depicted it?

@yang777 said:

I read a description once that said she phases by magnetically vibrating her molecules to fit in between the spaces of other molecules with the "magnetic" part causing the side effect of disrupting electronics (it's in a comic book so it doesn't have to make scientific sense I guess). So she doesn't necessarily turn all intangible or parts of herself intangible and leave other parts tangible. With this description she merely chooses whether she wants to vibrate her molecules through something or not as she comes in contact with it. So she can phase through a bullet by vibrating her molecules through the spaces between the bullet's molecules, but still stand on the floor because she didn't try to slip into the spaces of the floor's molecules with her molecular vibrations.

That sounds really confusing, but every writer seems to imagine her power's implementation in their own way.

Was this a canon description in a comic? If so perhaps we can locate book/page? Or was it fancruft?

The idea that electricity can harm someone phased was present in the 1980s dice RPG "Heroes Unlimited". Page 184 of the 9th printing of HU Revised (January 1993) for Intangibility "Electricity and sonic blasts, which stimulate and agitate molecules, do half damage. Psionic attacks have full effect. Gas attacks are particularly effective, as the gaseous substance passes right through and into the blood stream, doing full damage/effect."

I don't know what heroes exist to inspire this power aside from Shadowcat... possibly Martian Manhunter? This makes me wonder, has Kitty ever been heard by sonic attacks (Banshee?) or gas attacks while phased?

@magian said:

She can be hit by magic. If I remember well, she has been hit by a demon while phased.

Anyone know issue this happened? Perhaps because demons can turn intangible and intangible people can hit each other?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.