Kitty and her ability to walk on air.

#1 Posted by 0xymoron (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone have a scan of Kitty performing such a feat? I've never seen her do such a thing.

#2 Posted by Aiden Cross (15726 posts) - - Show Bio

=)

No Caption Provided
#3 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

Its safe to say that Kitty is lighter then air, some what, when she is incorporeal because if she wasn't she'd fall through the ground when she used her powers. Unless she has such control over her powers to keep the very bottom of her feet/shoes from turning incorporeal and doesn't actually run through walls but jumps through them and uses her full powers until she gets to the other side. Or maybe I am just over thinking a comic book characters powers and should just go along for the ride.

#4 Posted by jordama (4701 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
Unless she has such control over her powers to keep the very bottom of her feet/shoes from turning incorporeal and doesn't actually run through walls but jumps through them and uses her full powers until she gets to the other side. 
This is what Astonishing had said
#5 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3868 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided
#6 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama: I don't read X-Men comics that was just one question I always had and not only for Kitty but for any character with her abilities and not the ability to fly, like Vision or Martian Man Hunter. And I am surprised they actually explained that's how her powers work, usually they just ignore it. Kinda like how Magneto can use his powers of magnetism against non-magnetic things.
#7 Posted by jordama (4701 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: They actually have tried to explain most of the X-Men's powers. Kitty's had something to do with the rotation of the earth and theoretical particle or something and Magneto's powers are actually based on the full electromagnetic spectrum not just magnetism, he just never fully developed. 
#8 Posted by 0xymoron (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks guys, sorry I wasn't able to respond to this earlier. Has she used this ability recently in modern times or no?

#9 Posted by CATPANEXE (9505 posts) - - Show Bio
@0xymoron said:

Thanks guys, sorry I wasn't able to respond to this earlier. Has she used this ability recently in modern times or no?

Her most recent that I have on hand is she is shown " airwalking " several times in Uncanny X-Men #537, usually to go from one room to
the one above it on Utopia.
#10 Posted by yin666 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

She also used it in Uncanny X-Men #541 (could be 540 or 542, I forget) to save Magneto from a magical hammer while he was flying high up in the air.

#11 Posted by Baddamdog (2836 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember first seeing it whilst reading Excalibur Mojo Mayhem and I was like 'woah that's so cool and useful, why doesn't she use it more!?'

#12 Posted by jordama (4701 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
#13 Posted by 0xymoron (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember seeing this scan I just couldn't tell if she was "air-walking" or her surrounding caused for her to levitate.
#14 Posted by newxfactor (90 posts) - - Show Bio

So she can sit down i the air too? And how does she speaks and see when she is intangible? In the first time she wears the space suit when she's stuck intangible, she asks Emma "How can I see? the particles go through my eyes" Or somthing like this...

#15 Posted by jordama (4701 posts) - - Show Bio
@newxfactor: Marvel said that they were going to be redefining her powers but that has yet to happen. 
#16 Posted by MenaceForever2 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty has to hod her breath while she Is intangible

#17 Posted by audiszayd (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@menaceforever In A+X issue 008 team up with Kitty and Spiderwoman... Kitty explains she doesn't need to hold her breath while phasing any more and continues to say she can ever breathe and talk while phasing through objects. I think ever since that bullet from break world, she learned a lot about her powers. Its been a while since i read back when she came back from space in the bullet but i remember someone saying she didn't even need to eat while in phase mode.

#18 Posted by ChildoftheAtom (943 posts) - - Show Bio

@audiszayd:

Cool I'm glad the limit on her power although made sense shouldn't have been there, I think she can't leave people in walls or stck items in people not that she ever did. I always kinda hated that part of her power. I'm guessing things just stay phased until they are outside of the other object. This is a good change and I can sleep easier knowing that she can't leave a shoe inside apacalypse. Not to say she is weaken. this only improves her fighting abilities since she can fight while partially phased even easier now probably

#19 Edited by admidland (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm reading Astonishing X-men and just came to the above panel and sought this thread out. (on a side note you can really feel the Joss Whedon Buffy vibe in this scene.)

What if, theoretically, she could adopt a neutral buoyancy and then phase her molecules against the air in waves? Like an atomic snake. This would basically allow her to fly though and I don't think that's canon. I never understood the ability to walk on air, unless she adopted single buoyancy sheets on the bottom of her soles? Still doesn't make sense as she would just "tread water." Only explanation is fantasy. Almost nothing in any superhero continuity makes sense with physics.

From the wiki: "Electrons naturally repel each other and instead of positive or negative charge, electrons have what is called "spin", which is based on a random pattern of up and down. If Kitty can rearrange her molecules into an organized manner so that they are "polarized" with the objects she is trying to pass through then she can pull her molecules through objects (like a molecular magnet) by controlling the spin on all of the particles in her body. By reversing the polarity on air, she can then air walk by making the air around her much harder. This also explains why she disrupts electronic systems since she basically polarizes the spin of electrons in objects she passes through and drastically changes the conducting forces in circuitry."

Okay so according to this explanation she can affect matter around her, which I guess makes sense due to her ability to phase things, but how far would this extend? It would allow her to create a force field at the least, or freezing everyone in a room except for her. I guess if she can phase through time.... Anyways, fun to think about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.