Follow

Kitty Pryde

Character » Kitty Pryde appears in 6445 issues.

Kitty Pryde (a.k.a. Shadowcat) is a mutant gifted with the ability to become intangible and phase her entire body through solid material. A talented prodigy, she became the poster child of the X-Men; eventually reaching maturation and becoming the team's current leader.

Is Kitty Pryde religious?

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paracelsus

Although we know that Kitty Pryde's family is Jewish and we see her wearing a Star of David pendant frequently, it just occurred to me that the question of whether she is formally religious has never been answered. Several Marvel heroes and heroines are noted for their express piety( her fellow X-Man Nightcrawler aka Kurt Wagner is a practising Catholic as is the FF's Invisible Woman and Firebird of the Rangers, Ben Grimm aka the Thing is Jewish, as is Songbird of the Thunderbolts, Moon Knight and Doc Samson, Dust of the Young X-Men is a devout Muslim). Has Kitty had her bat mitzvah? Are there even any synagogues(or Catholic or even Baptist churches- for Rogue) near where the X-Men's headquarters are located.?

Perhaps this matter could be addressed in an upcoming story(esp as former Holocaust survivor Erik Magnus Leinsherr aka Magneto has joined the X-Men!

Terry

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although we know that Kitty Pryde's family is Jewish and we see her wearing a Star of David pendant frequently, it just occurred to me that the question of whether she is formally religious has never been answered. Several Marvel heroes and heroines are noted for their express piety( her fellow X-Man Nightcrawler aka Kurt Wagner is a practising Catholic as is the FF's Invisible Woman and Firebird of the Rangers, Ben Grimm aka the Thing is Jewish, as is Songbird of the Thunderbolts, Moon Knight and Doc Samson, Dust of the Young X-Men is a devout Muslim). Has Kitty had her bat mitzvah? Are there even any synagogues(or Catholic or even Baptist churches- for Rogue) near where the X-Men's headquarters are located.?

Perhaps this matter could be addressed in an upcoming story(esp as former Holocaust survivor Erik Magnus Leinsherr aka Magneto has joined the X-Men!

Terry

According to Legendary Star-Lord #1, she did have her bat mitzvah.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say she is lapsed Jewish. By that I mean that she is but fails to attend any kind of services regularly. When Piotr dies from the legacy virus cure there's a whole issue that deals with her going through the Jewish rituals of grief or mourning. There's a name for it but I don't remember what it is. She explains it in the comic and goes into detail. Other than that, she makes references to her heritage from time to time during her rants but we don't see much more than that.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, I don't mean for this to be off-topic, but wasn't Colossus suppose to convert to Christianity at some point. I know that Kitty Pryde and Colossus' relationship was rocky because one of the reasons was that Peter was an atheist. However, after everything they have been through, he has decided to believe in God, based on the influence of Kitty Pryde. Now, was that idea dropped because of different writers? Whatever happened to that idea because in current comic book depictions, he is still considered atheist.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes she is

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeppers.

Beata

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's one scan where she talks about how a close friend said something awful about a Jew and it ruined their friendship.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I recall her mentioning being Jewish a lot back when she first joined the X-men, but I don't remember ever seeing her at any sort of religious service or mentioning going to one.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: all I can remember is that one scan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@comicdude360: Yeah. I can't remember anything in specific, sadly, but I'll try looking over some of the older comics I have lying around.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By numi

By the way, I don't mean for this to be off-topic, but wasn't Colossus suppose to convert to Christianity at some point. I know that Kitty Pryde and Colossus' relationship was rocky because one of the reasons was that Peter was an atheist. However, after everything they have been through, he has decided to believe in God, based on the influence of Kitty Pryde. Now, was that idea dropped because of different writers? Whatever happened to that idea because in current comic book depictions, he is still considered atheist.

Yep, change of writers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.