Follow

Kitty Pryde

Character » Kitty Pryde appears in 6445 issues.

Kitty Pryde (a.k.a. Shadowcat) is a mutant gifted with the ability to become intangible and phase her entire body through solid material. A talented prodigy, she became the poster child of the X-Men; eventually reaching maturation and becoming the team's current leader.

If Kitty were to die...

valencourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By valencourt

... How would the X-Men series/continuality be altered? What do you think would happen to events and characters?

I was discussing this matter with some ignorant and bigoted delinquent whose opinion on Kitty was less than pleasant. He stated that if she died nobody would care etc etc, but I for one disagree with him entirely.

I'd just like to see other people's thoughts on how things would change if she were to suddenly die.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jordama

Well, considering they thought she died not to long ago and things carried on pretty normally, I don't see it having to many effects. I think it would matter more how/why she died. If there is someone to blame, then it might have more of an effect.

I think they would care, but I don't think it would change the face of the X-Men. Rouge would probably be bumped to headmistress and things would move one from there.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BatteredArmor

If Kitty died there would be some sad fans and a month or two before she came back

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I agree with Jordama that it might not have a huge impact on the X-Men if Kitty were to die because most of the characters in the X-Universe had died at one point, but the stories still went on anyway. I guess it all depends on the situation and if the stories need Kitty to move the plot along. I can see her death affecting certain characters like Colossus when he thought that Kitty died in the bullet, but other than that, that's pretty much all we're going to get from that.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By batkevin74

For all intents & purposes she was dead when Joss Wheddon grafted her intangibility to that mega-bullet and she phased through the Earth and off into space. At the speed and the fact there was no food or water she would die within two weeks, she's a X-Man mutant after all. Sure Magneto knew about the bullet but I think he was a bit late and she should've died but lo & behold another Marvel non-death!

But Colossus is/was/would be heartbroken if she was actually dead as she was for him, look at her face when he came back in Astonishing Xmen!@Rabbitearsblog said:

I agree with Jordama that it might not have a huge impact on the X-Men if Kitty were to die because most of the characters in the X-Universe had died at one point, but the stories still went on anyway. I guess it all depends on the situation and if the stories need Kitty to move the plot along. I can see her death affecting certain characters like , Colossus when he thought that Kitty died in the bulletbut other than that, that's pretty much all we're going to get from that.

Storm, Nightcrawler, Rachel Summers, Captain Britain, Pete Wisdom, Lockheed, Professor X and Wolverine who'd go on a drunken rampage I feel. But don't fret nobody dies any more, at least for very long

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@batkevin74 said:

For all intents & purposes she was dead when Joss Wheddon grafted her intangibility to that mega-bullet and she phased through the Earth and off into space. At the speed and the fact there was no food or water she would die within two weeks, she's a X-Man mutant after all. Sure Magneto knew about the bullet but I think he was a bit late and she should've died but lo & behold another Marvel non-death!

But Colossus is/was/would be heartbroken if she was actually dead as she was for him, look at her face when he came back in Astonishing Xmen!@Rabbitearsblog said:

I agree with Jordama that it might not have a huge impact on the X-Men if Kitty were to die because most of the characters in the X-Universe had died at one point, but the stories still went on anyway. I guess it all depends on the situation and if the stories need Kitty to move the plot along. I can see her death affecting certain characters like , Colossus when he thought that Kitty died in the bulletbut other than that, that's pretty much all we're going to get from that.

Storm, Nightcrawler, Rachel Summers, Captain Britain, Pete Wisdom, Lockheed, Professor X and Wolverine who'd go on a drunken rampage I feel. But don't fret nobody dies any more, at least for very long

I agree. Marvel's probably going to keep bringing her back since they rarely let characters die for very long.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By jordama

Peter wouldn't be very emotional about it right away because of the Juggernaut influence. There would be brief moments of grief, but he would mostly be stoic.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@jordama said:

Peter wouldn't be very emotional about it right away because of the Juggernaut influence. There would be brief moments of grief, but he would mostly be stoic.

I definitely agree with this. Maybe if it was the old Peter, yeah he would been really upset about Kitty's death.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Nobody would care because death at Marvel just means a 12-24 month hiatus before bringing you back for a sales bump

valencourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valencourt

All very valid and reasonable responses. Thank you. :D

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By luckydomino1

i would really be sad they killed off night crawler what to stop them from killing off another favorite character

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@luckydomino1 said:

i would really be sad they killed off night crawler what to stop them from killing off another favorite character

Yeah, I hate it whenever they kill off a favorite character.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By AgeofHurricane

I don't know...she's the poster child of the X-Men. With her position now as Headmistress of the Jean Grey School, not to mention her relationship's with Storm, Colossus, Magik and even Scott himself...I'd like to think that things would take a different direction, in a sense.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rickbarry

@Rabbitearsblog: @AgeofHurricane: @valencourt: It depends on how she actually bites the bullet...no pun intended. I think the best 'death' that I've seen would be Colossus killing himself to save the mutant race.

I'm sure Colossus, Magik, Logan, Storm and Kurt (currently dead) would be really distraught over losing her. Since they're the A-team mostly of the X universe you would see a change for a while. Especially with Piotr as he moped around for a year or two after Kitty was inside the bullet. It got to the point where Emma grew concerned over his health. Well...as concerned as someone like Emma can become.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

The only characters that I think would be truly effected are Logan, Colossus, and Magik. Maybe Emma Frost (I've always felt that they have a love-hate relationship). Iceman, Beast, and Storm would probably be distraught too, but they'd quickly get over it.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mercy_

@Gambit1024 said:

The only characters that I think would be truly effected are Logan, Colossus, and Magik. Maybe Emma Frost (I've always felt that they have a love-hate relationship). Iceman, Beast, and Storm would probably be distraught too, but they'd quickly get over it.

Emma would most certainly be effected.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rickbarry

@The Dark Huntress: How far do Emma and Kitty go back? I seem to remember them having a great deal of interaction during Whedon's run on Astonishing, but I can't remember if they've had any significant action before 2004.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mercy_

@Rickbarry: It's mentioned in Whedon's run that Kitty's first interaction with Emma (and first mission, if I'm not mistaken) is the infamous incident when Emma and the HFC have Storm. Kitty says something among the lines of "you taught me what a villain was", to Emma during Astonishing, IIRC. So Emma definitely left an indelible impression with Ms. Pryde.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @Gambit1024 said:

No. Not even close.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No. Not even close.

Oh, because they were so close.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @Gambit1024 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No. Not even close.

You think otherwise ?
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gambit1024

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No. Not even close.

You think otherwise ?

If you can give me straight up evidence that Kitty and Storm were inseparably close, I'll agree with you. All I know is that when Nightcrawler died, she barely did anything other than give a speech to X-23 about it (and I thought they were supposed to be close.). Outside of that, I don't recall any other instance where she showed deep concern about it.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @Gambit1024 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No. Not even close.

You think otherwise ?

If you can give me straight up evidence that Kitty and Storm were inseparably close, I'll agree with you. All I know is that when Nightcrawler died, she barely did anything other than give a speech to X-23 about it (and I thought they were supposed to be close.). Outside of that, I don't recall any other instance where she showed deep concern about it.

And when Kurt died, i can't think of anyone else except for Wolverine that showed deep concern about his death anyway. Her, Kitty, Pete and Wolverine were the only X-Men who actually grieved him outside of Second Coming as far as I'm concerned. 

The bond between Ororo and Kitty shouldn't really come as shock as to why it's so strong, when Kitty first came across the X-Men it was Storm whom she first met and gave her the short introdcution to the world of mutants, they sparked a powerful friendship and it was from then on that the mother daughter referral grew. Through Kitty's earlier as a new X-Man Storm always made it her responsibility that Kitty was safe and looked after, even when Kitty was sick and wanted to join Storm when the other part of the team fell sick. Storm even stated herself that in Kitty she saw a younger version of herself, which reminded her of the times when her parents had just died and she became the thief we know today. Even after that, when Magik was introduced into the scene, when Kitty was impregnated with the Brood and fell unconcious IIRC, she then woke up and shouted out "Illyana ! Pete !", Storm took notice of this and pondered the fact that Kitty called out her bestfriends name, her boyfriends name but not the name of her more or less, adopted mother. When Storm took on the new Mohawk look Kitty was the most distraught, she cried. During that issue they had a long chat about how the whole mother and daughter thing was, in other words, a lie, Ororo acknowledged that she wasn't Kitty's mother and that she had one already, she felt that the whole thing was a dud, Kitty thought otherwise, she didn't like the change, she didn't like what had come of it from Ororo's perspective, granted, in time, they eventually got over it. These aren't the only instances, mind you, to explain their tight relationship.

When Storm was rendered a wheelchair user, this was Kitty's reaction towards it all. A mother daughter moment if i ever saw one. 
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

P.S, I wouldn't describe their relationship as 'inseprably close', but they've got one of the strongest bonds out of all the X-Men.
    MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MenaceForever2

Didn't the hellfire club try to recruite Kitty

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel storm logan colossus charles lockheed would feel the loss of kitty the most. but all the x-men in my opion would miss kitty if she died she is part of there family.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.