How old is Kitty Pryde now?

#1 Posted by Namor1987 (2096 posts) - - Show Bio

She's in her mid-late 20s currently in the comics right? Because I know that the Marvel characters "age" & i was wondering if someone knew her age.

#2 Posted by lioneta (363 posts) - - Show Bio

She looks much younger but I'm pleased that she does.
It makes sense that there would at least one petite mutant over the age of 18.
They're all built like Playboys!
I want some variety~

#3 Posted by John_Feaster (359 posts) - - Show Bio

She SHOULD be about 23 ight now, but it looks as if she's more like 18 or 19. She's old enough to drink in England, but not the states.

You think that's odd, poor Sam Guthre (Cannonball) was 19 when he first appeared in 1983, and 21 today. Meanwhile, Roberto Dacosta (Sunspot) was 13 at the same time in the same comic...and he's also 21. Now THAT'S a confusing timeline ;>)

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio
How old is Kitty Pryde now?

@xerox-kitty said:
"Shatterstar said:
"pixelized said:
"In Uncanny...503 i believe, Cannonball held up his ID and it showed his Date of birth being some day in 87. It's on his page"
Despite his first appearance in a comic being 1982... spectacular!

The correct answer to how old a character is....don't ask. Otherwise known as however old the creative team wants."
Agreed...

X-Force number 37.  Sam tells Saul & the other Externals "I'm only twenty years old".  That was in 1994... It's taken poor Sam 14 years to age 1 year!?!

The Pryde & Wisdom mini series was published in 1996.  Kitty was still considerably younger than Peter Wisdom, but old enough for a sexual relation with a man presumably 10 to 15 years older than her.  Yet she's meant to be only just of legal drinking age now?!

It's best not to think about the failings of writers to keep up with something as basic as character history."
#5 Posted by Inthedark (81 posts) - - Show Bio

So marvel needs to give all there characters  real world birthdays to remind everyone how old they are.

#6 Posted by John_Feaster (359 posts) - - Show Bio
@Inthedark said:
"

So marvel needs to give all there characters  real world birthdays to remind everyone how old they are.

"

That can't happen, because that would age them more and more. If Kitty's birthday was established back in the day, she'd be in her early 40's now. Janet Van Dyne? in her late 60's at least, and so on.

In the long run, the sliding scale of age works better. I just feel that EVERYONE needs to be on the same scale, so we don't get weird age differences in characters who were introduced at the same time, but have aged differently.
Avatar image for don_t_kranq_just_psychoo
#7 Posted by DoN`t_KrAnQ_jUsT_PsYcHoO (345 posts) - - Show Bio

i think she is 16

#8 Posted by umbrafeline (5919 posts) - - Show Bio

if she aged like normal people she would be in her 40s ^_^
#9 Posted by John_Feaster (359 posts) - - Show Bio
@umbrafeline:
   She's at least 18, as she was able to drink in a pub when in England, and that was ...what, 10+ years ago?
#10 Posted by umbrafeline (5919 posts) - - Show Bio

lets all say that shes a legal adult how about that?
#11 Posted by John Valentine (16466 posts) - - Show Bio
@DoN`t_KrAnQ_jUsT_PsYcHoO said:
"i think she is 16 "

Well, you're definately wrong. 

She's in her early twenties.
#12 Posted by umbrafeline (5919 posts) - - Show Bio

show proof like a drivers lisense :P
#13 Posted by PrinceIMC (5506 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say she's early 20's. Kurt and Piotr and Bobby are late 20's and most of the other original X-Men are mid 30's. Beast probably 35. Scott and Warren 32 or 33.

#14 Posted by John Valentine (16466 posts) - - Show Bio
@umbrafeline said:
"show proof like a drivers lisense :P "
She's younger than Cannonball by about a year or two. He showed his lD to a barman in Uncanny X-Men #503.
#15 Posted by pixelized (49085 posts) - - Show Bio

she's said to be over 18 but under 21

#16 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not just me, right... I mean, it IS ridiculous that she's meant to be the same age as a comparative newbie like Pixie.

#17 Posted by umbrafeline (5919 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine:
were talking about kitty not sam :P
#18 Posted by xerox_kitty (17342 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
"@umbrafeline said:
"show proof like a drivers lisense :P "
She's younger than Cannonball by about a year or two. He showed his lD to a barman in Uncanny X-Men #503. "

@umbrafeline said:
"@John Valentine: were talking about kitty not sam :P "

So was John.  He compared Kitty's age to Sam's, along with a reminder that Sam has shown his driver's license (which you'd requested). 
#19 Posted by Andferne (38281 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics characters are not meant to have solid ages. Just ball park figures which they seem to stay at throughout the ages. lol
Very rarely do we ever see character progression in the terms of age, and when we do it all gets retconned back anyways because the character can no longer associate with the 'younger' crowd. Or whatever BS they use as an excuse.

#20 Edited by charlieboy (7179 posts) - - Show Bio

okay sam was eighteen when he joined the new mutants. and kitty was fourteen at that time. so if same is tventy one then kitty is 17. which logically i would think she is older now. but  i think that it was probably bad writing on fraction's part.
#21 Posted by Aspenite (935 posts) - - Show Bio

I also would say that Kitty is in her early 20´s. She wouldn´t be a teacher if she was even younger.

#22 Posted by LT1085 (3677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aspenite said:
" I also would say that Kitty is in her early 20´s. She wouldn´t be a teacher if she was even younger. "
Logic?
#23 Posted by LT1085 (3677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:
" Comics characters are not meant to have solid ages. Just ball park figures which they seem to stay at throughout the ages. lol Very rarely do we ever see character progression in the terms of age, and when we do it all gets retconned back anyways because the character can no longer associate with the 'younger' crowd. Or whatever BS they use as an excuse. "
Magneto is a great example of this.
#24 Posted by Aspenite (935 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
" @Aspenite said:
" I also would say that Kitty is in her early 20´s. She wouldn´t be a teacher if she was even younger. "
Logic? "
Huh?
#25 Posted by LT1085 (3677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aspenite: I'm asking what you logic it behind that statement. They don't have teaching degrees...except maybe for professor x, but I always thought he just called himself that because of his arrogance.
#26 Posted by Aspenite (935 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085: I just thought about real life. I believe that no one would respect a tutor who is hardly older than oneself. So I could imagine that she´s in her early 20´s but it´s just a guess.
I know that you can be young and be better than anybody else...just a  suggestion :)
#27 Posted by LT1085 (3677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aspenite: In real-life people don't have crazy superpowers and fight monsters on a daily basis either though.
#28 Posted by Aspenite (935 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085: So you think that it would be okay to have someone as a teacher who is, let´s say 14?
#29 Posted by LT1085 (3677 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aspenite: None of the x-men that also function as teachers are even supposed to be 14ish.
#30 Posted by CellphoneGirl (19119 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say 19, because i think Cannoball is supposed to be 21, and she was younger than the new mutants right?

#31 Posted by Aspenite (935 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085: See? So we can exclude that she is 14!
#32 Posted by Pulsar (2329 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
"I would say 19, because i think Cannoball is supposed to be 21, and she was younger than the new mutants right? "

Right
#33 Posted by Aspenite (935 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pulsar said:
" @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
"I would say 19, because i think Cannoball is supposed to be 21, and she was younger than the new mutants right? "
Right "
Sounds good!
#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing about comics, you just never have any idea how old characters are. And if they say, the age probably won't change. Because no one wants to watch the characters age and die =)

#35 Posted by Aspenite (935 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: That´s the point! And in the end it doesn´t matter how old they are as long they are cool characters.
Avatar image for alienrobotzombieoverlord
#36 Posted by AlienRobotZombieOverlord (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty had just turned 13 in January 1980. The Marvel comic book universe has a sliding timeline, but it also uses a pretty consistent rule-of-thumb: one year passes there for every three years in the real world. That means that as of 2015, 35 years have passed in the real world, but only 11 (and change) in the marvel universe. That would make Kitty 24 years old as of 2015, and by the January 2016 issues she should be turning, or have just turned, 25.

Avatar image for phoenixdiamond616
#37 Posted by phoenixdiamond616 (1863 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty had just turned 13 in January 1980. The Marvel comic book universe has a sliding timeline, but it also uses a pretty consistent rule-of-thumb: one year passes there for every three years in the real world. That means that as of 2015, 35 years have passed in the real world, but only 11 (and change) in the marvel universe. That would make Kitty 24 years old as of 2015, and by the January 2016 issues she should be turning, or have just turned, 25.

Could you explain that? I just get confused in this part:

That means that as of 2015, 35 years have passed in the real world, but only 11 (and change) in the marvel universe

Avatar image for alienrobotzombieoverlord
#38 Posted by AlienRobotZombieOverlord (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure --

It takes 3 real-world years to equal one Marvel universe year. It is now January 2016, so if I do the math: 2016 - 1980 = 36 years have passed in the real world. Divide this by 3 and that means that 36 / 3 = 12 years (or there about) should have passed in the Marvel universe since Kitty turned 13. So she should be turning 25 now.

I should mention that while several Marvel writers have mentioned this rule-of-thumb, there are also some WILD inconsistencies with it. For example, Franklin Richards's age has been ALL OVER the place. But overall, it holds true.

Franklin, BTW, was born in November 1968. That was more than 47 years ago in real-world time. Divide 47 by 3 and that would mean that Franklin is now 15 years old. He will turn 16 in November 2016 when the real-world time since his birth equals 48 years. (That's one hell of a long puberty to go through!)

#39 Posted by marvelboy74 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

She was 14 in X-Men vs FC and then she celebrated her 15th in Excalibur. I think that they aged her though much more in Excalibur when other writers took over for Claremont. Funny story. If you ask Google directly, it says 23.

#40 Edited by tyciol (55 posts) - - Show Bio

any source for 23? http://age.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowcat based on http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?165165-Fun-with-character-ages-at-Marvel-Comics-using-the-Pryde-Scale only goes up to 21

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.