A question about Kitty Pryde's powers

#1 Posted by a0040pc (674 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi I'm just wondering about the powers of the great Kitty Pryde. The scientific explanation is that she increases the space between her atoms so that she can pass through solid objects. So technically if she was increasing the space between her atoms shouldn't she physically be getting bigger. I know that her mass won't increase so lets say if she's 120 pounds at 5'4 even if she grew to like 6'6 she would still weigh 120 pounds. If she can do this I know she wouldn't be able to be as big as Hank Pym or Elasti-Girl (Doom Patrol). But I think it would be more realistic.

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic book science. Don't think about it too hard.

#3 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

^

That said, in the ultimate reality she had the ability to become Denser too.

#4 Posted by a0040pc (674 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be cool for her to be on a basketball team when if she could make herself freakishly tall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
#5 Posted by deactivated-5791595859013 (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

She was created a long time ago and I feel safe in saying no one really cared about fact checking her powers against existing science at that point. Using the knowledge of today you might be able to throw together a half decent solution, but I have never really put much thought to it

#6 Posted by tyciol (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps the way she increases the space between her atoms isn't by moving her atoms' centres further apart, but rather, condensing their electron shells closer to the protons, basically making the atoms smaller?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.