Birthdate: 31 December
Eyes: Varied (normally grey/blue)
Height: 6'0" (183cm)
Normally referred to as an old man, Kisuke often wears a baggy black jacket with white diamond patterns at the bottom, a green shirt, and a baggy pair of pants. His most notable accessories are his traditional wooden sandals, striped fisherman's hat, and cane. It is apparent that he has no use of the cane as an aide to walk, but we soon find out it is in fact his zanpakuto disguised as a walking cane.
Kisuke has a rather carefree attitude and behavior, but behind most people's backs, he is a schemer. Despite this, Kisuke normally talks to others in a pleasant manner. However, this mannerism can sometimes be used as a way to mock an enemy. He tends to be very light-hearted about situations but always knows when to turn from free-spirited to serious.
As an owner of his own store, Kisuke is never short of supplies. The shop however is used as a front for his real operations where he can gather and sell Soul Reaper technology. Underground his store, he has a concealed training center. It would prove handy in helping Ichigo regain his Shinigami powers after his first encounter with Byakua Kuchiki. The underground training center has proved useful for Ichigo's other friends and allies including Chad, Ishida and Renji.
Kisuke has a wealth of knowledge of both the world of the living and spirit realms. Despite this he tends to hide a lot of what he knows from the people he tends to work with, making it hard to truly trust him. Normally found working behind the scenes, he can be considered as an exceptional tactician handing out tasks to ensure main goals are met.
Kisuke Urahara (浦原 喜助, Urahara Kisuke) is a main protagonist of the series that was created by Tite Kubo, It first began serialization in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump in August 2001.
He first appeared in Volume 2 'GOODBYE PARAKEET, GOODNITE SISTA: Chapter 13 'BAD STANDARD' also episode 6.
Agent of the Shinigami Arc
After Rukia Kuchiki transfers her Shinigami powers to Ichigo. Urahara later then gives Rukia a gigai, which later is revealed to be a special gigai that would slowly drain her Reiatsu (spiritual pressure) and turn her into a human. Though this never happens, but it came pretty close. Rukia later buys an artificial soul to take Ichigo's place when he turns into a Shinigami, to make his life easier for the time being.
Later in the series Rukia goes to Urahara for information about the Quincy race. He reveals how the Quincy were hunted to almost extinction due to fear from the Shinigami.
Soul Society Arc
Once Ichigo and his friends returned from the Soul Society, Urahara gathered the group on a flying piece of paper and flew them home. He revealed his involvment in the placing of the Hogyoku within Ruki'a soul, and said he didn't tell them because it would change their minds on saving her. Later he apologized for his actions after recieving a elbow to the face by Ichigo, he promises to apologize to Rukia.
Urahara and Yoruichi save Ichigo from Yammy. Yoruichi and Urahara Brawl the Espada's Yammy and Ulquiorra before the latter retreat. Sometime later Chad asks to be trained. Urahara later has Renji train him since his Bankai is not fit for training. When Orihime arrives, he shares the details of the coming battle and asks her to refrain from being in the battle due to her lack of means of attack destroyed by Yammy yet Chad disagreed. During another Arrancar incursion, Urahara saves Rangiku Matsumoto from being Impaled by Luppi Atenor. He later on Brawls with Yammy but later on, Ulquiorra captures Orihime while she was in the Dangai, allowing Yammy to Escape back to Hueco Mundo.
Hueco Mundo Arc
After Orihime is captured by Aizen. Urahara finds Uryu. He informs Uryu of the events and Uryu agrees to help. Urahara later on gathers the Gang and opens a garganta for Ichigo, Chad and Uryu so they can go to Hueco Mundo to rescur Orihime. After their leaving, Urohara reveals the presense of Ichigo's friends. Shortly afterwards, Rukia and Renji arrive from the Soul Society and Urahara opens a Garganta for them.
Urahara is given orders by Captain-Commander Genryusai Shigekuni Yamamoto. The orders include creating a Garganta to allow Captains to enter Hueco Mundo and making preparations for the war by making it possible for the Gotei 13 to battle in Karakura town. He accomplished tht task by creating the Tenkai Kecchu while allowed him to swap the real Karakura Town with a duplicate made by the 12th division.
Fake Karakura Town Arc
As Sosuke Aizen reveals the true nature of the Hogyoku, aizen pierces him from behind using Jugeki Byakurai. Urahara later attacks with 'Senju Koten Taiho' but Aizen being unharmed appearing behing him, slashes Urahara in the shoulder. Urahara noticing Aizen to be more lenient, is responded by Aizen saying he has no need to be on guard as the Hogyoku is there. Urahara states he didn't mean by dodging the kido but in the past, Aizen wouldn't have come in contact with him without a plan. Urahara and Aizen later have a brawl of Urahara succeding in spamming several Kido which have no affect. After Isshin and Yoruichi have their do with aizen, Yoruichi and Urahara get into a playful argument on the armor. Aizen watching them later states that Urahara is the only being who's intelligence surpasses his own and he still has interest in him. Aizen soon defeats the trio.
After, Ichigo uses the 'Final Getsuga Tenshou' against Aizen, Aizen relealizes his body is being affected by a kido. Urahara later explains that before Aizen achieved complete transformation, in Aizen's most unguared moment, he fired the kido into his body on the back of another Kido. Urahara reveals it is a seal developed specifically for Aizen, since he figured once he was fused with the Hogtoku, it would become if not unlikely but impossible to kill him. As the seal begins to take hold and the power Aizen obtained from the Hogyoku ebings to fade, Urahara states Aizen's loss of power is the will of the Hogyoku. He explains the seal works because his power was weakened and that the Hogyoku no longer sees him as his master. After a conversation, Aizen is sealed within Urahara's Kido.
After Aizen's sealing, Ichigo asks Urahara where everyone went to, which Urahara replies with that they went home. He further states it seems as thought they wanted to talk with them but coming over and talking to them seemed difficult. Ichigo asks if he wiped their memories and Urahara states not this time. Ichigo soon collapses and Urahara states to Ichigo's friends who arrived earlier, that Ichigo is losing his Shinigami powers from Rukia.
History In The Dark
During the The Pendulum Turns Back Time storyline a large portion of Kisuke's history is revealed. As it turns out Kisuke was once a third seat within Yoruichi's Special Forces and was set over the Third Division as the head of the Detention Unit. As Kisuke explains it he was in charge of keeping the dangerous elements of the Soul Society away from the rest of the people. Kisuke moves on though and becomes a captain himself when he takes over the twelfth division after the previous captain ascends the ranks to become a Royal Guard. After taking over the Twelfth Division Kisuke is appointed his new team including the hot headed Hiyori. Kisuke receives a hostile greeting to his new position as Hiyori refuses to accept him as the new captain of the twelfth division.
In an attempt to get Hiyori to understand him better Kisuke takes her with him to his old assignment the maggot's nest, a prison for only the most troublesome and possibly powerful enemies of the Soul Society. Once inside Kisuke begins to explain to Hiyori that no one ever truly leaves the Soul Reaper army, but rather the ones who are deemed unsuitable to continue on there are removed and locked up so that they can't use their powers to attack the Soul Society. Kisuke also reveals that he is powerful enough without his zanpakuto to stop any convict in the Nest with only his hands. Finally Kisuke explains the whole reason for the visit is to recruit a new seated officer for his research division, Kurotsuchi Mayuri. With his new officer at his side Kisuke begins to prepare his division for his vision to be able to efficiently collect data and use it in a way that they best aid the rest of the Soul Reapers. Unfortunately time is against Kisuke as a new threat looms on the horizon. After several reports of souls disappearing outside of the Soul Society a team is gathered and sent out to investigate the phenom. After a report is sent back to report that Soul Reapers have also been abducted the Captains gather and send out an investigating team to see what info can be gathered and used. Despite Kisuke's pleas to be sent to protect Hiyori since he had sent her to gather info for him his request is denied. Shinji Hirako offers to make sure she is safely returned with himself and the other officers that are being sent out. Luck continues to work against Kisuke though as the rescue team is quickly faced by the threat of a Captain Soul Reaper that is now infected with a disease that makes him behave and appear much like a Hollow. As member after member is infected by the disease Shinji is left alone to find that Aizen is responsible for the outbreak. Before Aizen, Tosen, and Ichimaru can kill off the officers though Kisuke, using a coat he developed to hide his reiatsu, and Tsukabishi arrive to do what they can to stop or at least stall the death blows from happening. Before Kisuke can stop Aizen though Tessai Tsukabishi steps in and attacks using an 88th level destruction spell. Aizen uses a spell of his own to block the attack and escape, leaving Kisuke and Tessai with the now Hollowfied officers.
Things go from bad to worse though as Kisuke's first attempt to save the others fails, and he is greeted by a squad of Soul Reapers sent to arrest him and Tessai for their "crimes". At the trial Kisuke is accused of all Aizen's crimes, including the experimentation of Hollowfication. As the inquisition is about to reach it's verdict though a masked women, Youroichi, arrives and helps Kisuke and Tessai to escape. Now hiding in the underground chamber that Ichigo would later train in Kisuke begins to lay plans to help all the injured and now rogue officers escape from the Soul Society to Earth to lead them to the fate they now face.
Powers & Abilities
Kisuke was briefly the captain of the 12th Division within the Gotei 13. This is a testament to his skills, intelligence, leadership potential, and powers.
His powers and abilities include:
- Master swordsmanship: Despite his appearance and laid-back personality, Kisuke is an extremely skilled swordsman who utilizes power attacks and cunning during battle.
- Shitonegashi (褥返し, Cushion Return): A pinning technique which subdues an opponent and imobilizes them on the ground with Urahara suspending the tip of his cane millimeters from their face after he's struck them
- Hozuri 頬摺, Cheek Stroke): A simple and light precise slash meant to cause light wounds.
- Immense Spiritual Power: His spiritual pressure is great enough to create shockwaves that can affect a considerable radius.
- Shunpo Master: Skilled enough to keep up with Yoruichi, who is generally regarded as the most skilled in Shunpo in Bleach.
- Kido Master: Being the former head of the Shinigami Research Institute, Urahara has considerable knowledge of Kidō. He is able to use Bakuda spells up to level 79 without incantation. Hado spells up to 91, and able to create his own kido. Powerful enough to seal an immortal being.
- Kaido: Urahara is proficient enough at healing Kido to heal Ichigo and his friends when battle-worn
- Kido Creation: Urahara can create high level Kido and has immense knowledge of the art
- Keikaigi (繫界儀, World-Tying Rite): This technique connects the space of 2 worlds tying them together to produce a Garganta. The opening is generated between 2 large wooden posts jutting out from rock formations. He is able to open the portal silently and whenever he wants.
- Hakuda Master: Due to his time spent as Corps Commander of the Detention Unit of the Onmitsukidō, he has become very proficient in hand-to-hand combat.
- Master Strategist and Tactician: Urahara is shown to be a very perceptive and analytical man. He has an has an undeniable talent for thinking things well in advance as well, make decisive and accurate decisions quickly in battle, and able to perceive any situation at hand.
- Genius-Level Intellect: He possesses genius intellect and is a master scientist and inventor. Acknowledged as the smartest character in Bleach by Souske Aizen.
- Master Assasin: As a former high-ranking member of the Onmitsukidō, Kisuke has high mastery in the art of stealth combat.
Having founded the Research Institure in the Soul Society, Kisuke has created many items.
Gigai Technology: A Gigai 義骸, Faux Body is an artificial body created to help broken souls to stabalize and restore their energy and enable Shinigami stationed in the Human World to inreact with Humans. Having experemented many times, Urahara has created many varations.
- Energy sucking Gigai: An untracable Gigai which drains the user's spiritual energy instead of restoring making them Human if used long enough. It was developed for the purpose of hiding the Hogyoku forever and given to Rukia. Akon noted that the Gigai was so advanced that nobody in the current SRDI would have been able to create it
- Portable Gigai: An infatable variation used as a decoy in combat. With the perfect timing, it can even fool a combatant like Aizen
- Human Shell Gigai: A Gigai created for the purpose of helping Hollowfied Quincy Souls. If a Shinigami enters this Gigai, they become a Human-Shinigami hybrid and with the help of Reishi string which binds the souls, they can enter the Quincy's inner world to protect them from a hollow inside There is a risk to lose Shinigami powers.
Soul Object Intergration: Urahara developed the technique to bury matter in a soul. The object can be removed by disintegrating the soul around the object or by breaking down the soul's structure allowing the object to be removed without leaving damage to the soul. Kisuke used this technique to hide the Hogyoku in Rukia's body and Aizen used it to remove the Hogyoku from her.
Reaitsu Concealing Cloack: Urahara created a cloack which hides his spiritual pressure. He used it to sneak up on Aizen during the Hollowfication of the soon to be Visored group and to sneak up on Ichigo after he lost his Fullbring. This also allowed him to move freely within the Dangai as shown by Aizen, incorporating Kido in the cloack allowing the wearer to almost blend in with the sight.
Tenshintai (転神体, Change God Body; Viz "Divine Transfer Body"): An artifiact belonged to the Omnitsukido but used by Urahara. It is a human-shaped doll which forcibly materializes the spirit of a Zanpakuto into the Human World when stabbed by the Zanpakuto. It allows the user to subjicate the spirit and atttain Bankai. Without the invention, basic Bankai would take at least 10 years plus combat experience. Urahara deemed it dangerous if used more than 3 days.
Tenkai Kecchu (転界結柱, World-Shifting Binding-Posts): A device which created a grand spiritula unit area radius around the Senkaimon bound by four linked points. When activated, the device swaps something that encircles it with something in the Soul Society.
Anti Hierro Armor: A protective combat armor designed for CQC mean to smash through an Arrancars hierro. It can also protect the wearers body parts which are in use from Damage.
Two Way Holographic Communicator: A system which allows Urahara to communicate with the Soul Society or Hueco Mundo through a holographic display.
Restoration Hot Springs: Having studied and analyzed the properties of Tenjiros "Blood Hell Pond? and "White bone Pond" Urahara replicated them with his own personal hot springs in Yoruichi's underground training grounds in the Sereitei. This hot spring is able to easily heal away the wounds and blood in someone's Reaitsu.
Anti Hollowfication Vaccine: A medecine created from combining a Quincy's Heilif Pfiel and Human Souls. If injected into a soul of a Hollowfied Shinigami, it stablizes the soul and stops the "Soul Suicide" effect.
Pero (ペロ): Pero is a small device created by Urahara and given to Orihime. Pero's main purpose seems to be alerting Urahara in case of any nearby danger with a camera.
Shin'eiyaku (侵影薬, Shadow-Raiding Drugs): A special pill designed to temporarily infuse Hollow Reishi into the soul of a target it makes contact with. This will also affect the Targeits Bankai, even if removed.
Deathdealing Vaccine. A drug designed to counteract Askin Nakk Le Varr's The Deathdealing. By injecting this into a persons skin, the person will recover from the ability's of Askin Nakk Le Varr. The formula is still underdeveloped lasting only around 5 minutes and doesn't fully heal the person.
Shunshin Chohenge Activator: Knowing Yoruichi's strong transofmration, let reluctance due to it's appearance, Urahara created a special paper that transformed her with the removal of a tag.
Computer: When he entered Hueco Mundoo, kisuke used a holographic computer.
In it's unreleased form, Kisuke's zanpakuto is a concealed sword within a walking cane, otherwise known as a shikomizue ("prepared cane"). It has been modified to include a symbol at the base of the cane that allows him to force a Shinigami's soul form from it's earthly body or gigai.
Benihime ((紅姫, Crimson Princess; Viz "Red Princess"):")
Kisuke's zanpakuto is named Benihime and is is concealed inside of his cane when he is just out and about. When he reveals Benihime he usually releases her to her second form, a flat bladed sword with a flat point, a hilt that is short and close to the blade, and a short rope tied to the end. When revealed Kisuke can use several attacks that give his zanpakuto some reach beyond it'sd physical ability. Some is done when he urges Benihime to "scream". During these attacks Benihime release a wall of blood red energy that can be shot at an opponent to do damage, or form a shield between Kisuke and his attacker.
Released when Kisuke utters the words"OKIRO" ('Awaken Now').
In this form, Kisuke's zanpakuto's blade becomes wider with a curved hilt. It's two known special abilities.
- Nake, Benihime (啼け紅姫, Sing, Crimson Princess; "Scream" in the English dub): This technique fires strong crimson colored enery blast. The energy flows out the blade and fires in the arc of a sword swing. It is capable of taking on a point-blank Cero from an Espada level Arrancar by dissipitating it with a blast of equal power. He can also charge up the technique to create more damage.
- Chikasumi no Tate (血霞の盾, Blood Mist Shield): This technique forms a hexagon shape crimson barrier infront of the blade for defensive purposes. The barrier can easily block a punch from Yammy and attacks from Hollows snakes in the 3rd film. After blocking Ichigo's first Getsuga Tenshou, while it slightly eroded, Urahara stated he would've lost an arm if not for the shield
- Kamisori, Benihime (剃刀紅姫, Razor, Crimson Princess): A technique which fires an energy blast capable of cutting through materials and substances with ease. The arc moves towards the target and can change direction. It easily cut through a Hierro protected tentacle of Lu[[o Antenor.
- Tsuppane, Benihime (突ッ撥紅姫, Spurning, Crimson Princess): After analyzing the Reishi Compostion and the subjects muscle movement when they use the technique, by drawing a circle of energy with the edge of Benihime and timing it well, the technique can neutralize the enemy's attack at the point of contact.
- Shibari, Benihime (縛り紅姫, Crimson Princess of Binding): This technique lanuches energy in the form of a tangible blood red net, generated from the blade and falls over the intended target from above with a simple slashing motion from Benihime and constricts an opponents movements.
- Hiasobi, Benihime, Juzutsunagi (火遊 紅姫 数珠繋, Fire-Playing Crimson Princess Beaded Mesh): After using the Shibari technique, Urahara stabs the net with the tip of Benihime creating fire along the outside length of the net which explode into linked lane minds leading into the target creating a massive explosion.
Bankai: Kannonbiraki Benihime Aratame (観音開紅姫改メ, Modification of the Crimson Princess' Dissection at the Doors of Avalokiteśvara; Viz "Opened Red Princess Neo"): Kisuke is a Captain class Shinigami and it is confirmed he has the ability to use a Bankai. Learned by using his own three-day method. His Bankai was shown in the Final arc during his battle with the Sternritter Askin Nakk Le Varr. It grants him the ability to restructure anything it touches or comes into place with. It's offensive and supportive. It can be used for healing as Urahara restructured his eyes so he would regain his sight or used as a physical buff when Kisuke used it to restructure and strengthen his arm to push Askin away. He can also create a path for others to move in through barriers or objects if needed.
- His Bankai has a limited range where it can use his powers. If anyone were to leave this radius, their body will revert back to normal if affected.
- The changes made from his Bankai only last if his Bankai is in use. If the bankai is deactivated, the changes made will revert back to before the Bankai was used.
- Urahara appears in the first three Bleach movies. In Fade to Black, Urahara is shown using another Shikai ability, Kirisaki, Benihime (切り裂き紅姫, Shred, Crimson Princess), which fires a barrage of energy bullets from his child.
- He is portrayed by actor Seicchi Tanabe in the Live-Action film.