Kido is a combat-based spell which shinigami use for general purpose. The spells are produced with strong reaitsu and have 3 categories. Bakudo which are binding, sealing, defensive, and communicating spells, Hado which are used offensively in Combat, and Barriers/Seals which are sub-branching of Bakudo which focus mainly on binding and sealing. It is a manner of Zankensoki which is Shinigami combat. Kido generally uses incantations but a select few masters can use them without incantation with a similar effect.
As the title suggests, the Kido Corps is a branch of the Soul Society, which excels in Kido.
A few Masters are Sosuke Aizen, Byakuya Kuchiki, Kisuke Urahara, Tessai Tsukabishi, Genruysai Yamamoto and Hachigen Ushoda. These are some of the greatest Kido users able to use Kido with or without incantation with similar effects or use several Kido in a short time span.
How it Works
Most Kido is grade from the numbers 1 to 99 in range of power/general usefulness or ability to perform. The power of the spell relies on the user and low-class spells could be dangerous if a High-Class Shinigami is using it.
Kido can be used for practical purposes as well. Renji once used a kido to illuminate a dark hallway.
Kido is best used in sneak attacks or times when the opponent doesn't know it's going to be used.
A classification of Kido deemed illegal by the Soul Society. Usage results in imprisonment or worse. Kido which fall under this branch are either space-time manipulation or a Kido which sacrifices the user.
Known as Healing Kido, Kaido doesn't have a name, number, branch, or incantation to cast. They simply heal a target. The user casts a green glow from their hands using reaitsu which heals the target. It is used in this manner. Recovering of the physical body and then restoration of reaitsu.
The Kidō Corps is also a branch in the Soul Society's military which excels in Kidō. A special division dedicated to the art. Now it is unknown who holds the position of Captain and Lieutenant and any other notable positions and the meaning of the insignia is still unknown.
The Kido Corps is responsible for opening and closing the Senkaimon between the human world and the Seireitei.
Known List of Spells
Known kidō spells
1. Restrain: Locks a target's arms in place behind their back.
4. Crawling Rope: An energy rope that entangles a target's arms.
8. Repulse: creates a round surface that repels and temporarily stuns whatever hits it.
9. Strike: Engulfs a target in red light, completely paralyzing them.
21. Red Smoke Escape: Creates a blast of smoke at the area where it is cast, much like how a Ninja's Smoke bomb works.
26. Curved Light: Hides the target from sight, by bending light. The spell has the ability to totally hide the presence and reiatsu of the user or specified object.
30. Beak-Piercing Triple Beam: Forming a golden triangle with one's finger, it shoots three beams of light that pin the target to one place on a surface, slamming into his or her body in three places in a shape of a perfect triangle.
37. Suspending Star: Creates a star-shaped cushion of Spiritual Energy, which anchors it to nearby objects with "ropes" of spirit particles. It can stop falling objects, acting like a safety net.
39. Arc Shields: Summons a shield of condensed reiatsu to block opponents' attacks.
58. Summoning of the Tracking Sparrows: Tracks and locates any spiritual force the user focuses on. To activate it, the user must draw a circle on the ground, cut into four parts with a specific character in each. The incantation animates the circle, causing various numbers to appear within until the specific set is found. The number set seems to be a variation on longitude and latitude.
61. Six Rods Prison of Light: Summons six thin, but wide, beams of light that slam into a target's midsection, holding them in place. Referred to as "Six Rod Light Restraint" in the English manga and "Six Bars of Light" in some of the games.
62. Hundred Steps Fence: A rod formed of energy is thrown towards the target before it disintegrates into numerous short rods which are used to pin the target to the surroundings and render them immobile.
63. Chainlike Desert: The target is wrapped from the neck down in a thick chain.
73. Inverse Mountain Crystal: Creates an inverted pyramid-shaped barrier around the caster.
75. Quintet of 1 kan Iron Pillars: Summons five incredibly tall and thick pillars to pin a target to the ground.
77. Heavenly Rickshaws in Silken Air: Transmits messages to anyone within a specific area. In addition to reciting the spell, the user must draw specific markings on their arms, which are animated by the spell to convey the messages.
79. Nine Sunlight Traps. The user creates 8 black holes which cast spiritual energy and the ninth black hole, manifests on the targets chest which then immobilizes the target.
81. Splitting Void: Creates an energy barrier in the form of a rectangular wall. According to Byakuya, it is capable of stopping destructive spells up to #89.
99. Part 1. Seal: Binds the arms of a target with spiritual fabric and iron shafts.
99. Part 2. Great seal: This spell's effects are divided into three "songs"
- First Song: Halting Fabric - covers a target from head to toe with spiritual fabric.
- Second Song: Hundred Linked Bolts - stabs the target with numerous metal blades.
- Final Song: Great Seal of 10,000 Forbiddings - smashes target with an immense metal cube.
1. Thrust: Pushes the target away from the caster.
4. White Lightning: Fires a concentrated bolt of lightning from the caster's forefinger.
11. Bound Lightning. The user generates an electric current through the object they touch.
12. Ambush Flare. The user traps others with a net which allows an attack to be conjoined against those touched.
31.Shot of Red Fire: Fires a ball of red fire at a target.
32.Yellow Fire Flash. Lifting a Zanpakuto horizontally, the user creates a yellow flash that widens across the user's sword resulting in a flash of yellow energy.
The English dub uses the phrase "Red Flame Cannon" in conjunction with the Japanese name. It also incorrectly identifies this spell as bakudō 33 in certain scenes, though correctly identifies it in the scene in which it is revealed.
33.Blue Fire, Crash Down: Fires a column of blue fire at a target in a similar manner to 31, but over a wider area and with more power.
54.Abolishing Flames: Fires a blast of purple spiritual energy that will incinerate a target completely when it makes contact.
57.Upturned Earth Dance. The user thrusts their hands outwards, causing nearby objects to levitate and to be thrown at a destination the user wants.
63.Thunder Roar Cannon: Fires a massive wave of yellow lightning at a target.
73. Twin Lotus Blue Fire, Crash Down: Essentially a doubled version of #33, this spell fires two shots of blue fire with greater potency than the single-shot variety. In the anime, Rukia labels this spell as #73.
78. Cutting Flower Ring. The user creates a yellow energy arc around their zanpakuto which bursts outward.
88. Flying Dragon Striking, Heaven-Shaking, Lightning Cannon: A massive blast of spiritual energy in a fashion similar to a laser.
90. Black Coffin: Forms a box of black energy around a target, which is then pierced by dozens of energy "spears", lacerating the one inside from head to toe. Aizen notes that the spell only reached a third of its destructive potential the one time he uses it, indicating that the spell would be far more damaging at full power.
91. Thousand-Hand Incandent Heaven Culling-Sear. The user generates 10 energy points that attack a target and cause a massive explosion.
96. Single Blade Cremation. A forbidden Kido which uses the body as a sacrifice. It causes a massive erupting pillar of red fire.
99. Five Swirling Dragons of Destruction. The user creates 5 massive light purple energy(color varies) dragons.
Eishōhaki. A kido class that erases the concept of a spoken incantation. For the sake of time, it decreases the power of the kido. Mostly done by masters or skilled practitioners, few can use it in great combat effect.
Nijū Eishō. A blend of 2 separate Kido incantations which saves time and confuses the opponent.
Kōjutsu Eishō. A kido class where the user uses an invitation after the initial spell to add additional power to the kido.
These spells do not fit entirely into any other category.
White Crawl: Momo Hinamori uses this spell while imprisoned to knock out a guard and destroy everything within a certain radius of herself. The anime suggests that it is a binding spell, but doesn't number it.
Mirror Door: Tōshirō Hitsugaya used this to seal Momo Hinamori's hospital room. It creates a glass-like barrier that is difficult to break from the outside, but quite simple to break from the inside.
Temporal Stasis: A forbidden spell used by Tessai along with Kūkanten'i.
Spatial Displacement: A forbidden spell used by Tessai with Jikanteishi to teleport a specified portion of space from one point to another, transporting even kidō spells.
Ambush Flare: This spell was used along with a Kido net and Spell 31 by Momo Hinamori to cause a much larger explosion.
Garganta: This spell is used to open up a passage to the hollow world of Hueco Mundo. The spell Rips open the dimensional fabric separating the worlds. This then reveals a tunnel of whirling, torrential energy that must be focused and solidified to create a discernible pathway. This is used by Tousen and Urahara as well as many members of the Espada.
Thousand-Coil White Snake: A long cloth is wrapped around the user in a spherical shape that teleports the user elsewhere while it coils.
Reverse Demon: The user casts a kido that opposes a kido of equal power, spinning in the opposite direction, neutralizing an opponent's movement.
Chocolate Bar Slider. The user creates 5 rectangular prisms from their hands and launches them at an opponent. They multiply and damage the opponent of blunt force from many angles.
Curtain Stripping. The user grips thin air which neutralizes and reveals anything concealed in the area in which the user has used the Kido.