Follow

Kick-Ass

Character » Kick-Ass appears in 69 issues.

Dave Lizewski was an average high school student, who's dream was becoming a hero. Dissatisfied with his underwhelming life, he created an improvised superhero suit and armed himself with a pair of batons. As time went by, he became known as the "greatest superhero of all time", Kick Ass.

Studios Begin Eyeing Kick-Ass

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

We've all known for some time that Kick-Ass is just pure greatness.  Is it full of cliches and possible gimmicks?  Possibly but it's still just refreshing to read, even if it's full of insane violence.  The Kick-Ass movie has been in production for some time and is basically complete.  The big dilemma was whether or not any studios would want to back this movie.

No Caption Provided
    Kick-Ass was financed independently by director Matthew Vaughn.  This was because the studios felt the movie was too violent.  If you've read the comic, you have to agree with them.  But this is still a movie that needs to be made and seen.  According to The Hollywood Reporter, Vaughn had a deal with Sony Pictures but there was some disagreement.  Sony wanted the character, Hit-Girl to be changed into an older teenager.  We, and thankfully Vaughn, know that just wouldn't work.  This lead Vaughn to go the self- and indie-financing route.

Now surprisingly after footage was shown at Comic-Con; Lionsgate, Paramount and Universal have decided they would like to distribute the movie (yes, I was being a little sarcastic there).  The footage was well-recieved which was a helping factor in getting studios to see the light.

With all the superhero franchise movies and the success of Mark Millar's Wanted, it's clear that there is a desire for movies like this and they can be successful.  Although, Punisher: Warzone was also a violent comic book movie and didn't do too well.

What do you think?  Can a movie with this much crazy violence and profanity be successful?  I'm sure there will be parents' groups that will be a bit upset when they get wind of this.  That's usually fun to watch.  The great thing is Vaughn and Millar said that they would not change or compromise the characters at the Comic-Con panel.  I absolutely cannot wait to see this movie.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vortex13

Ok, yea this is freaking awesome. Problem is they don't play non-mainstream movies near where I live, well maybe North Hampton, if it doesn't get picked up I wont be seeing it for a while. So this is very good news for me and every fan of Kick-Ass really.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @G-Man said

A young girl with blonde pig-tails, a stylised school uniform and is a crack shot... wonder if JRJR ever read Gunslinger Girl?? ;)

Still, I'm glad they've kept it close to the comic.  I was wondering how they'd convinced a studio to make a 'kids are violent' film.  I guess they didn't... not yet ;)
    vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By vicsrealms

Sounds like it might be fun.  I'd see it.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vortex13

I watched a trailer on youtube just now. It's gonna be f#@$%&g amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Why won't this movie be good it has a lot of violence which is what made Wanted good.

Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Drafta

I'm really happy that Vaughn isn't compromising the quality of the story to be portrayed.  I'm really excited about this movie and I have been ever since there were talks about it.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Nahero

ya know the acter playing hit-girl is like 2 years older than the character herself

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the comic is well, kick ass. the movie is being made as the comics being written perfect to it.
    i needn't know more. im seeing this.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @xerox-kitty: 
    LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing as I saw the kid with the gun.

That still isn't as creepy as Hansel and Gretel from Black Lagoon.  Now, that story was a combination of tragety, revulsion, and violence. I always get chills when I hear her sing the song in this scene.
    Black Lagoon - Hansel
    Black Lagoon - Hansel
    biswas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By biswas

the comic is well, kick ass. the movie is being made as the comics being written perfect to it.
    i needn't know more. im seeing thi

MJ Styles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MJ Styles

This...KICKS-ASS.  Get it?  Okay still not funny.

AliceHatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AliceHatter
    @reaper2923:  @reaper2923 said:
    " Why won't this movie be good it has a lot of violence which is what made Wanted good. "  
    The movie version of Wanted was awful. It was just awful.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ComicCrazy

oh yeah man cannot wait for this and I finally got to see some footage that loooked really great.
    Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only 13 replies, and two are identical of the spamming variety. 

If KA wants to seriously get off the ground, it's going to have to attract a readership and a followship to support itself and any movie adaptations. Otherwise, the most thing anyone will know of KA is that most of us haven't heard of it.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marshal Victory

hopeing they dont go straight to dvd,but IF it did im buying it.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
    @Marshal Victory said:
    " hopeing they dont go straight to dvd,but IF it did im buying it. "
    I saw the full trailer at ComicCon... it's really good.  No way this goes straight to DVD.  One of the studios has to pickup and will market it accordingly.  I don't see anything in this movie or the comic this is any different than something you might get in a Tarantino or Rodriguez film.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.