Follow

Kick-Ass

Character » Kick-Ass appears in 69 issues.

Dave Lizewski was an average high school student, who's dream was becoming a hero. Dissatisfied with his underwhelming life, he created an improvised superhero suit and armed himself with a pair of batons. As time went by, he became known as the "greatest superhero of all time", Kick Ass.

Families Offended By The Film Kick Ass

• 103 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    According to the Austrailian News site, News.com.au, a family in Australia are all offended by the movie Kick-Ass because of scenes like this:

In the movie, Hit Girl shoots a man in the face with a gun and at one stage in the movie tells her opponents: "OK you c---- let's see what you can do now."

Another offended group is the Australian Family Association (AFA), they had a little bit to say on the situation.

The [MA] rating has outraged Australian family groups who are reluctant to discredit it openly, fearing it would publicise the movie further. Australian Family Association spokesman John Morrissey said:

"The language is offensive and the values inappropriate - without the saving grace of the bloodless victory of traditional superheroes."

I'm going to break this down. I'd say for you guys, but I'm pretty sure you're all going to agree with me anyway.
     Let's stop and take a breather... First, this movie is rated MA, or R in the states. You won't be bringing your kids to a rated R film, even if the stars are kids themselves.  And yes, there have been films that were rated R that starred kids or teens i.e. Kids, and many teen comedies. Secondly, the movie is called KICK-ASS. The title of the film is essentially a swear word. You're not going to go and see a movie called "Kick-Ass" and expect The Princess and The Frog are you?

"The language is offensive"
     I'm going out on a limb here, and I'm going to say that the most of people on this planet use language that someone else deems inappropriate or offensive. However, we all know they're talking about the f-word and so on. But, again, that's not offensive to me, and might not be offensive to other people, it's subjective. Again, it's rated MA or R. You know there's going to be some cussing, violence, sex, and so on. 

"Values inappropriate"
    This is subjective, and for me personally, I'm pro-vigilantism in extreme cases, so I may think that some of the values portrayed in this film are completely appropriate. 

Maybe I've gotten a little too personal with this simple article, but this really "grinds my gears." Shouldn't we be able to judge what is appropriate for us to view? We don't need to have others deem what's good for us, when it comes to movies. I love the fact that comic book companies are taking the initiative to do more than what the AFA would consider a "traditional superhero" film. Here's the deal: If the trailer for the movie looks to violent. Don't see it. If it's rated R or MA, and you tend to get upset with rated R or MA films, don't see it. You have a choice, so use your brain and decide what could and could not be good for you.

Our lives are not rated G, so why do others think that's all we should view?
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kurrent

They should get over it and not go watch the movie if it is so offensive! No one is forcing them to watch. I really hate things like this because it is going to ruin it for people with an open mind that are actually looking forward to watching the movie!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Kurrent said:
    " They should get over it and not go watch the movie if it is so offensive! No one is forcing them to watch. I really hate things like this because it is going to ruin it for people with an open mind that are actually looking forward to watching the movie! "
    Best part is, I'm not excited for this film, and I really don't like the comic. But to spite groups like that, I'm going to see it twice on opening weekend.
    mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mv

Famlies shouldn't wacth it lol
    Cellywyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cellywyn

I have to agree with your points. It's not like the movie is being marketed as a family oriented movie so I don't understand why these people have a problem with it. Granted, yes it does star children but once again the movie isn't being marketed as wholesome family entertainment. So they need to let people make their own choices of what the deem is appropriate or not for they themselves to watch. I hate people like that. You're not my parents so don't tell me what I should or shouldn't watch. We have free will for a reason so we can pick and choose what we want, whether it's good for us or not.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

I know people get so worked up about movies that are clearly rated. People need to pay attention to those ratings. When I saw Step Brothers in the theater I was surprised at how many kids there were....of course they started leaving after 15 minutes.

A good movie about censorship and how films are rated is 'This film is not yet rated'.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Agent Buttons
    LOL
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

wait I thought this was a family film

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Korg

This is inappropriately and offensively hilarious.

Cellywyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cellywyn
    @PrinceIMC: It almost seems like parents don't pay much attention nowadays to what's appropriate  for their children to watch. I mean come on... for example Step Brothers... it has John C Reilly and Will Farrell and given past movies that they've done together which have been funny and crass... what makes you think Step Brothers would've been any different?
    hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hdorman1

at no point does it claim to be a family film 
    and the ads arent on telly yet, only the great interwebs
    the ad where hit-girl said c**t is a red banner ad 
    those people are fu(king stupid in my opinion

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @Cellywyn: The rating. Heh.

I work in a video store and I seriously see it all the time. A guy renting True Blood for his 12 year old daughter because she likes Twilight. I warned him but he still got it. Then there's the people that see 'Unrated' and think therefore that it must be good for everyone. I have to explain that just means it hasn't gone before the ratings board so it could be anything, though usually it means it would have a higher rating than otherwise.
    Cellywyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cellywyn
    @PrinceIMC: As far as I'm concerned I've been seeing a lot of lazy parenting lately. I mean seriously... a twelve year old likes Twilight so now all of a sudden it seems like anything Vampire would be appropriate? And don't even get me started on Twilight and the messages it sends to little girls. 

Perhaps people need to put ratings in nice giant letters so that people can see what exactly they're renting or purchasing. Besides... people should know that movies and television has gotten more violent as the years go on, so why the big hoopla over a moving whose title is "Kick-Ass" if that's not somewhat telling of what to expect that I don't know what is.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego said:

""Values inappropriate" This is subjective, and for me personally, I'm pro-vigilantism in extreme cases, so I may think that some of the values portrayed in this film are completely appropriate. 

agree with everything but this, on the basis that the message in Kick-Ass! is "anti-vigilantism" in that it points out the 
    dire consequences that would ensue if a person were to try being a superhero in real life. the very opening scene of 
    both the comic and movie is of a wannabe superhero trying to fly of a building and falling to his death as result.
    if anything, this family should be irate with the people that are in fact trying this in real life (you know who you are).

as for the taboo and possibly crude theme...the movies name is Kick-Ass! lol.  kind of obvious that this films intention
    was not to be "polite" and "well mannered"
    its again akin to buying a magazine called i dunno, Tig Bitties and being offended to find gratuitous nudity.

for the record: i mean no offense to the Tig Bitties magazine and their sister publications.

Edit: i might add as well that these people havent seen the film persay of course, so they had to have been offended at the trailer,
    specifically the famed Red band trailer, an R/MA rated one. they "could" claim that they were unsuspectingly subjected to this,
    accept for the fact that they would have only seen this trailer by A.) knowingly watching the clip online or B.) seeing it at the 
    beginning of an R/Ma rated movie to begin with.

some people just want to be heard but really have nothing to say i guess.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vortex13

I'm going to bring my five year old cousin to see it.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Wait, I thought we wanted to encourage our twelve-year-old girls to be foul-mouthed, homicidal, weapons masters?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself
    @CATMANEXE:  YOU LEAVE TIG BITTIES OUT OF THIS!!!!!!!!!
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By xerox_kitty

Ass isn't a swear word.  It's as offensive as saying bottom ;) 

But this is about the same country that banned From Hell (the book) despite the fact that the author lives there.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Some of the trailers for the movie really haven't sold just how violent this movie is going to be. I saw the movie Avatar with my mother over the holidays. It had a trailer for the Kick-Ass movie. She thought from the trailer that this was a kids movie. She couldn't understand why I was so surprised to see a trailer for this movie with Avatar, a PG-13 movie. I later sent her a link to the 'red band' trailer for the movie. She understood about the movie then.

Though, these groups piss me off that assume that everything must be made appropriate for kids. Such as with video games. Seems that these groups want everything to be kid approved, because they are just too damn lazy to check to see if something is or isn't right for their kids.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hdorman1
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    ""Values inappropriate" This is subjective, and for me personally, I'm pro-vigilantism in extreme cases, so I may think that some of the values portrayed in this film are completely appropriate. 
    agree with everything but this, on the basis that the message in Kick-Ass! is "anti-vigilantism" in that it points out the 
    dire consequences that would ensue if a person were to try being a superhero in real life. the very opening scene of 
    both the comic and movie is of a wannabe superhero trying to fly of a building and falling to his death as result.
    if anything, this family should be irate with the people that are in fact trying this in real life (you know who you are).

as for the taboo and possibly crude theme...the movies name is Kick-Ass! lol. its again akin to buying a magazine
    called i dunno, Tig Bitties and being offended to find gratuitous nudity.

for the record: i mean no offense to the Tig Bitties magazine and their sister publications. "
    rofl
    your tig bitties comments nearly made me wet myself
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vortex13
    @CATMANEXE: The tig bitties thing makes me think of sugary snack food, not large breast. I do not know why though......... OH!! The George Carlin joke "new Nabisco sugar +!+$"
    grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By grimreaper1980

what business would kids have to go see it anyway, it's not for kids

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By MysterioMaximus

This really stems out of something very simple: Stigmatizing superheroes as only kids stuff. Very clearly this is not a children’s movie and an intelligent satire of the entire superhero genre, yet…it has superheroes…it must be for kids, right? Sigh! When will this stigma stop?     

I get really annoyed with people overly offended by words. If it's not in the context of an insult or if it's something like in a film...I fail to see how it's somehow "bad". In fact, I'm bothered by the fact that we can't swear here.

Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
    Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fck Australia! They are to sensitive. (Im not picking on the people, just the people who make the rules of certain games and movies that are allowed in Australia)
    Cellywyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cellywyn
    @MysterioMaximus: It just seems like some people are overly sensitive. And because they're so narrow minded they believe that because they don't like it or find it appropriate that everyone should steer clear of it. That's exactly what this group in Australia is doing. I wonder how the rest of the population over there feel about having what they watch dictated by a group of people with nothing better to do.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Bruce Vain

Our lives are not rated G, so why do others think that's all we should view?

Thank YOU !!

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marshal Victory

Yeah this story is viral now .Read it on bleeding cool an its being printed in some newspapers.Hope movies good.Cause im gona own it on dvd when its available.See theirs this thing called rateings they wanted an got.Its not like their its not rated ma15+. 
    /shrug played just right this is a boon to the film.I know of some people who wasnt intrested in Avatar ( or the coke zero can spelling AVTR) who went to see how political the message was.This cold play just like that.
    darknight100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By darknight100

sounds like people looking for somthing to bitch about
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

kick ass is rated R so I do not think people should be upset. If you do not like it then do not go.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

People just love somthing to moan about.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @CATMANEXE: thanks for your points, and yes Kick Ass is an anti-vigilante film, but these people don't realize that. they see violence and start barking. It reminds me of a little more than 10 years ago when people threw a fit about the Kevin Smith film Dogma because it dealt with religion. no one had seen it at that time though. some people complain just to complain.
    Argentino_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Argentino_18

In the wise words of Wesley Gibson &%$# you AFA!

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cmaprice

Duh?

If a film has a red band trailer, paired with a title like Kick-Ass, it's clearly not intended for the same audience as Finding Nemo.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @inferiorego:
    But this story mostly was about Australia not the states.If this was a video game Australia would ban it.This is what happens when the population has their their guns took from them .How was it now something like " a goverment should fear its people". 

Sure closer it gets ready to come out their will be some "group" raise its head an cry foul .But theirs a rateing .If they dont want their little kids to hear it dont take them to the mid day showings.Seen that alot when i used to go to the movies. 

Dont grind your gears over this .Their probly gona tax gear replacment!
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PrinceIMC

Nicholas Cage is in Kick-Ass isn't he? Well there you have it. He should be rated Mature/Restricted/18A anyway. Or just make him stop making movies.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By goldenkey

I hate people like this.  Just don't go see the movie and you won't have to say you sat with the Jezebel
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vortex13
    @Marshal Victory: .......... I am not entirely sure that made sense. Could you explain why if it was a game they would ban it, is Australia super sensitive? Honestly that would surprise the f##k out of me.
    vuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vuki
    @inferiorego said:
    " @Kurrent said:
    " They should get over it and not go watch the movie if it is so offensive! No one is forcing them to watch. I really hate things like this because it is going to ruin it for people with an open mind that are actually looking forward to watching the movie! "
    Best part is, I'm not excited for this film, and I really don't like the comic. But to spite groups like that, I'm going to see it twice on opening weekend. "
    Roflmao awesome comment ;) I agree !
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Adam Michaels

They make the film Rated-R. They put a red-band before the trailer. Warnings of the film's graphic and vulgar nature have been given. And yet, families STILL find a way to complain about the movie. Sometimes, I wonder about humanity.

Avatar image for klarion_the_witch_boy
    Klarion:The Witch Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Uhm, Rated R for a reason... Wow. *rubs eyes* Oh well. I'm still seein' it. lol

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vortex13
    @Adam Michaels: You're wondering about humanity because family's get all up in arms about a movie that has given warning to its graphic content? I'm not saying you shouldn't wonder about humanity I just think there are bigger and better reasons too lol.
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ARMIV

Well gee,what did you think would come out of a movie called "Kick-Ass"?
    "Gosh darn it" and "Golly Gee"?

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cmaprice
    @Adam Michaels: 

Well, as we all know, it's everyone's responsibility to not partake in anything that could possible be offensive to anyone else, no matter what sort of warnings have been provided. The mere existence of a movie where a little girl uses the word "c----" (did you notice the source put in one dash too many!) corrupts children all around the globe. Our society has a hive mind. Didn't you know what one person sees, no one else can "unsee"? If not, something must be wonky with your antenna.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

I am not gonna watch it but not because of language but because it has Nic Cage in it

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By hero vs. villian

You should be more offended of how crappy Kick-Ass really is. Thankz Mark Millar, thankz a whole lot.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @hero vs. villian said:
    " You should be more offended of how crappy Kick-Ass really is. Thankz Mark Millar, thankz a whole lot. "
    What he/she said
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jotham

As Catman said, they probably just watched the trailer. So the headline could be: "Family watches film trailer, gets pissed-off"

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

People should be more offended that Nicholas Cage keeps getting work.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jotham
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " People should be more offended that Nicholas Cage keeps getting work. "
    OOOOO BURN!
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Adam Michaels
    @cmaprice:
    The mere existence of anything violent and vulgar corrupts children around the globe. Parents that smoke corrupt children all around the globe. This movie is no different than anything else out there. My antenna's just fine.
    The Wretch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The Wretch
    @Omega Ray Jay said:
    "People just love somthing to moan about. "

I agree.  This whole article reeks of moaning.

I mean, at least the people in those organizations represent other people, making the voicing of their opinons at least somewhat useful.  The people who look to them for their opinion have been sated. 

Honestly, this article is more offensive than the groups voicing their opinions of the movie.  I mean, do we really have to be lectured about the fact that some people have differing values or find some language inappropriate and how it's all subjective? 

No sh*t, sherlock.

Unless these organizations are attempting to ban the movie (nothing in the article says that) then why do you care what they say?  Whining about them is like the same thing they're doing about the movie, making this whole article quite ironic (which I love, btw)  Keep up the good work! ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.