Kick-Ass #2

Kick-Ass » Kick-Ass #2 released by Marvel on May 2008.

torminator's Kick-Ass #2 review

Avatar image for torminator
    • torminator wrote this review on .

Round 2

Got to say that I like this issue as much as the first as the book does what it says on the title. Dave recovers from his near crippling first attempt at vigilantism and goes at it again but this time he gets to walk away, minus some teeth and a pint of blood, but hey it's still a win.

It is interesting to see that Millar didn't skim over his recovery thus giving weight to Dave's action and the effect that it has on those around him, notably his Dad, who must either have the best insurance in the world or will soon be very broke. The rehab sequence I thought made Dave more real as he is just a self centered kid who know that what he is doing is wrong, but just does it anyway whatever the consequences. So I was not surprised by the quick return to crime fighting because it a way this is what makes him feel special and makes him look like he cares for others. In reality he is more than a little emotionally withdrawn and it will be interesting to see how this is played out.

My only complaint is that I hope this does not fall into some self parody, a la Die Hard, and that some of the elements don't become a little overused, like the amount of damage he received and recovers from. I also hope that the coming issues don't all follow the two act formula of introspection then rib breaking but as long as JRJR in on the art I'm in for the ride.