Follow

Keith Giffen

Person » Keith Giffen is credited in 1611 issues.

Comic book writer and illustrator best known for his work on the Legion of Super-Heroes and Justice League International.

Interview: Keith Giffen Talks THRESHOLD and LARFLEEZE

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Jediah Caul, who first appeared in GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS ANNUAL #1, has been the main focus of writer Keith Giffen's new DC book THRESHOLD, which is currently at four issues. This sci-fi epic journey is going through a few changes in the upcoming future, and Giffen took the time to answer some burning questions.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: What did you want to bring to this book that you felt was missing from other comic books at the time?

Keith Giffen: A dense read. New characters, settings, etc. When one of the most common criticism readers level at me is "there are too many words"... That's a point of pride.

CV: What can you tell us about the new cast of space villains coming up? How much will this book be changing over the course of the next few issues?

KG: Caul's story will come to a definitive end. I know. Shocking. A story that actually ends. We'll also get to spend a bit of time with Star Hawkins and Ilda as well as - finally - catching a glimpse of the Lady Styx.

CV: Captain K'Rot (Carrot) was a bizarre but very cool choice for a character reboot in this series. What are, if any, some characters we'll see popping up in THRESHOLD?

KG: The cast has, pretty much, been introduced so no new additions for the foreseeable future.

CV: What is your process in designing new characters, like Jediah Caul or the K'Rot?

KG: Have fun. Ignore the internet whiners.

Cover to THRESHOLD #5
    Cover to THRESHOLD #5

CV: The artists on this book, Tom Raney and Scott Kolins, have done a fantastic job with the main and back-up stories. What has it been like to work with these very talented artists?

KG: Believe it or not... relaxing. You have no idea how great it feels to know that the guys you're working with know the craft and get what you're trying to do. Tom and Scott are rock solid professionals and I'm lucky to have them. Winslade too.

CV: Are Stealth, Space Ranger, and Jediah Caul going to continue to be the focus of this series or will this book jump to other people in the science fiction part of the DCU, much like how JSA LIBERTY FILES changes focus after each arc?

KG: Focus characters will change, but be drawn from characters already introduced. Assuming we survive long enough.

CV: One of the funnest parts of this series, so far, is Blue Beetle's appearance. In solicits, we see he'll be popping back into the book in issue 7. Will he be an ongoing part of this book and how big are your plans for him?

KG:Jaime's slated to be a major player. Lonar has plans for the kid wearing the reverse engineered Apokolyptian battle armor.

Cover to LARFLEEZE #1
    Cover to LARFLEEZE #1

CV: Because Larfleeze is stepping out into his own book, does this mean the Threshold story will expand each issue or will a new back-up take its place? If so, what can you tell us about it?

KG: Star Hawkins gets his dance in the spotlight once Larfleeze exits. The story revolves around the hunt for the legendary, longest running contestant.

CV: With the upcoming LARFLEEZE on-going, it seems as though this book is going to have the same humorous tone as the back-ups, how tough is it to constantly write a book like this and keep it funny?

KG: Not tough at all. Not with DeMatteis on board. Actually, it's a lot tougher writing superheroes with a straight face. I mean, c'mon... most of them are wearing their underpants on the outside.

CV: What can we expect from Larfleeze's new book?

KG: New characters, new locales, new threats, new romances (you heard right... romances). All I'm taking with me from the DCU are Larfleeze and Stargrave (and one other). The rest will all be brand spanking new.

CV: Will we be seeing any familiar faces in upcoming issues that have yet to appear in the New 52?

KG: Okay... the "one other" mentioned above is G'NORT. But only because DeMatteis has a G'Nort fixation that just won't quit. And no, he's not a GL.

Whoa! The return of G'Nort?! Everyone's favorite dog-faced Green Lantern character?

No Caption Provided

Make sure to check out Giffen's awesome science-fiction, action-packed book, THRESHOLD. You may still be able to find issues #1-#4 and issue #5 is on sale May 8th.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

The one thing that bugs me about Larfleeze is how differently artists draw him. Sometimes he's like a goat, sometimes his hair looks like it's on fire, there he looks like a dog.

Purgatory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That's the stupidest drawing of Larfleeze on the cover of #1.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Loved his Star-Lord Mini Series!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Giffen and DeMatties made a G'nort fan outta me. I really need to give Threshold a go.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

out of the people who read this can they say how brainiac looks different now then in action comics?

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really been loving this book (Threshold) and can't wait to see where it goes. Larfleeze was my original reason for picking it up, but now I'm equally excited about where it's gonna go once the Orange Lantern leaves! Damn their subliminal advertising...

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
    deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I'm not into the green lantern, but I would like to try this new series looks promising.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Yeah, if you get a chance read threshold 1, 2, 3, 4. I read mine in the coarse of a few days. It made a great read. I'm kind of confused why KG said that there are too many words. Thats the best part of this book for me. Threshold is like reading a captivating scifi novel. Great comic and great interview! Both of you keep up the good work!

DickDastardly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fantasgasmic: I can agree with this. MY personal favourite artists depiction was philip tan's, in agent orange. I think that take was awsome

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Rixec

I can't wait for what is planned for Blue Beetle!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I keep reading, but I just can't get into Threshold, it's too wordy, and not in a good way.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

So looking forward to Larfleeze! MINE!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13 dernman  Online

Don't like Larfleeze and can't believe he got a book.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Threshold is a consistently good read, and the Larfleeze bits are hilarious, I'm really glad Giffen's going to continue on with the character in an ongoing.

I also love how Giffen just keeps it real: "Have fun. Ignore the internet whiners."

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

Love Larfleeze...but I really don't see his own book being all that interesting...

Still, i'll give it a read. Just to be sure. Don't want to miss out on a potential gem.

But Threshold is a book I just can't get into...hope it picks up soon.

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trebean

I liked DeMatteis and Giffen's Superbuddies, hopefully with all the serious comic books around, there's a place for humorous ones.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By soumya

@the_stegman: Agreed.It got too much words.But everybody suggested this book to me,so I keep reading it.May be it is a good book.I enjoyed the art too.Still I don't get the story.It got too much characters and a lot of words in it.I don't know it's good or bad..,but sometime it seems confusing to me.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Saren

Can't wait for Larfleeze.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

The sales numbers for Threshold have already dropped from 30k to 15k after just 3 issues. What are the odds this title will be cancelled anytime soon hence before the end of 2013? The featured characters are promising but it's badly written and very confusing to follow all the sub plots except for Caul and K'rot. If it wasn't for the backup story I wouldn't even pick up and read Threshold anymore. Weird enough, I don't see an ongoing series featuring Larfleeze being successful for too long either. The question is which title will eventually be cancelled first?

BrotherEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

G'nort! Haha! Good old Giffen and DeMatteis! Loved their work from JLI to Super Buddies. Can't wait for Larfleeze to start.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I love this book. Its such a goos showing of the cosmic side of the DCU. Seriously, people! Buy it!!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Threshold seems pretty cool. I may have to check out some issues, especially since @inferiorego raves about it so much.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never cared for Larfleeze. Probably because I can't relate to him as avarice is a much more foreign emotion to me than compassion which I believe is as close to an opposite as there is. And the avarice imprinted upon him by the orange power battery is basically his only character trait. As I don't like the character, I don't think he deserves his own book or even the Threshold backup. However since I'm such a big Green Lantern fan I'll give him a shot. The one way this book could be good is if it explores Larfleeze's ongoing attempts to muster up the green willpower buried deep, deep inside him to rid himself of the orange lantern and the related avarice and finally become reunited with his long-lost family.

On a related note, I sincerely hope those of you who believe Threshold will fail without the Larfleeze backup are dead wrong. Threshold is an awesome series. I admit, I didn't care for the Green Lantern: New Guardians Annual it spun out of. The writing in that was very choppy. However, by the end of Threshold #2, I was quite hooked and the book continues to impress.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.