Karu-Sil was born on the barbaric world of Graxos III, a "jungle world of madness" as Lyssa Drak once called it. Graxos III was a world where all species were carnivorous but meat was scarce. Raids on dwellings, and the slaughtering of innocents at the hands of other families seeking to take that which wasn't theirs for their own family, were commonplace. During one such incident, Karu-Sil's mother and father were murdered but the raiders had failed to notice Karu-Sil, which led to her not being killed. After spending four days in her old home, hunger began to overwhelm Karu-Sil and so she ventured forth into the forest.
After stumbling upon a small animal, Karu-Sil hid and waited until the time to strike was right. When she captured the creature she quickly learned that it was being stalked by other, much larger predators. However, instead of eating both Karu-Sil and the animal, the creatures only consumed the animal and allowed Karu-Sil to join in their feast. She soon became a part of their pack and for years she was raised as one of their own. Karu-Sil, however, could never get over the fact that she was so different from the rest of her pack and so she made whatever physical alterations she could to make herself more like her "family."
One day, the members of her pack began driving her further and further away from them. Karu-Sil didn't realize what was going on until they forced her onto a riverside where, just across from her, there was something she had never seen before in her life -- a boy. It all became too clear what the rest of her pack had been planning. Karu-Sil allowed the boy to get close enough to her, so that she could beat him into submission while her pack ate his remains. However, a Green Lantern, who thought the creatures were attacking her, killed all three members of her pack and had her taken to Graxos IV where she was institutionalized after she ripped a psychologist open.
She remained there for years until a Sinestro Corps Ring sought her out and gave her the power to instill great fear in others. With the power of her ring, Karu-Sil was able to physically re-manifest her "Fathers Three", whom she believed to be real and not just simply constructs of energy. She also swore her eternal loyalty to Sinestro for giving her her family back. Some time later, Karu-Sil led a large contingent of Sinestro Corps Soldiers to Oa where they attacked The Green Lantern Corps without mercy. Karu-Sil came into conflict with Guy Gardner during this incident and when he hit one of her "Fathers" she hit back with greater force.
Karu-Sil managed to keep Gardner and several other members of the Green Lantern Corps occupied until a massive explosion rang out from the Sciencells. Karu-Sil and the rest of her group dispersed and returned to The Anti-Matter Universe. It was soon learned that Karu-Sil and her team had only been there to serve as a distraction while a second team of Sinestro Corps infiltrators freed Superman Prime and Cyborg Superman from the Sciencells. Karu-Sil was later seen plotting with Sinestro, Superman Prime, Cyborg Superman and Arkillo.
When the Sinestro Corps invaded Earth, Karu-Sil had a rematch with Guy Gardner but it was cut short when her supreme master, The Anti-Monitor, and The Guardians of The Universe engaged each other in a battle of epic proportions. Karu-Sil went M.I.A. following the invasion of Earth. It was later learned, however, that she had been incarcerated on Zamaron and is currently in the process of being converted into a member of The Star Sapphire Corps, like her former ally Fatality had been. However, Sinestro decided to lead a contingent of Sinestro Corps Soldiers to Zamaron on a mission to free all of the female Sinestro Corps members.
While Sinestro and his group fought off Star Sapphires, Black Lanterns descended on Zamaron. Karu-sil managed to free herself during the chaos. Later, Karu-Sil is among other lanterns on a deserted planet fighting off Black Lanterns, when the pack of beasts that raised her are reanimated. She struggles to fight her family as they attack her. A Green Lantern named Zivvireel appears and tells her she must be strong. They combine their power, and destroy the beasts. As Karu-Sil mourns, the Green Lantern tries to comfort her. Karu-Sil then blows the lanterns head off with her power ring, and flies away seeking revenge.
- Sinestro Soldier Status: Active
- Space Sector: 2815
- Sector Partner: ?
- Homeworld: Graxos III
- Predecessor: Inapplicable
- Successor: Inapplicable
Powers and Abilities
Karu-Sil is the wielder of a Sinestro Corps Power Ring. The Ring gives him the ability to do the following things:
- Animating: A Sinestro Lantern can will things to move how he wants. The object moved however is often covered in a yellow aura.
- Artificial Intelligence : Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Qward, which taps into Parallax. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a "Sinestro's" success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer, which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Sinestro Corps ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector, someone capable of instilling great fear.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Sinestro Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones. Weather
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The Sinestro Corps ring has the ability to make
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Sinestro Corps member or a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Red solar radiation, which stunts or removes the powers of Kryptonians and Daxamites.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options. Members of the Sinestro Corps they generally quote the Sinestro Corps oath while recharging their rings: "In blackest day, in brightest night, Beware your fears made into light! Let those who try to stop what's right, Burn like his power... Sinestro's might!” Unlike the Green Lantern Corps however each Sinestro Corps member seems to use a standard unaltered oath.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero..
- X-Ray: The Sinestro power ring has the ability to see through all objects without others around him/her being aware that the object has been made transparent. Not all material can be penetrated though.
- Mental Incapacitation: The ring cannot be wielded correctly if the wearer is under the influence of drugs or if there is an involvement of neural interference.
- Blue Lantern Corps: The power of a Blue Lanterns Ring of Hope has the ability to disrupt the powers of a Yellow Lantern Ring.