Follow

Kaine

Character » Kaine appears in 430 issues.

Kaine was the first clone of Spider-Man created by the Jackal. He was suffering from clone degeneration and became an assassin and spent years tormenting his clone brother, Ben Reilly. He has since taken up the mantle his now dead brother as the new Scarlet Spider.

Important story arcs?

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Madness

So I'm loveing the Scarlet Spider comic but to be honest I'm just getting back into comics and I haven't heard of Kaine since the clone saga. What happened in between the Clone Saga and this new run of Scarlet Spider that I should read. Things that explain his costume, his powers, why he isn't scarred and dying.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By X35

@The_Madness: Not much.

After the Clone Saga, Who Was Ben Reilly?, Grim Hunt and Spider-Island are it. Marvel went through a phase of kinda denying the Clone Saga ever happened for about a decade.

It's not canon but Kaine had a pretty big recurring role in the MC2 Spider-Girl titles as kinda Spider-Girl's "guardian angel".

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@X35 said:

@The_Madness: Not much.

After the Clone Saga, Who Was Ben Reilly?, Grim Hunt and Spider-Island are it. Marvel went through a phase of kinda denying the Clone Saga ever happened for about a decade.

It's not canon but Kaine had a pretty big recurring role in the MC2 Spider-Girl titles as kinda Spider-Girl's "guardian angel".

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Madness

Heh, I can't blame them for denying the Clone Saga ever happened, I did too. But I can't help that I like this comic so I have to accept it haha. Thanks I wanna catch up on these just to bridge the gap.

As for Spider-Girl, anything outside of 616 is far outside of my comfort zone.

Thank you again. :)

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Strider1992

@The_Madness: Another one you might want to check out is Spider-man: Redemption. This is the part of Kaine's life where he decides not to be a monster and to leave Ben and Peter (mainly Ben though lol) in peace.

http://www.comicvine.com/spider-man-redemption/49-26778/

Definitely worth reading if you want to know when he started to turn over a new leaf!

The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Madness

Thanks Strider, its weird though, mind you out of these I've only read 'Who was Ben Reilly?' so far and Kaine still seemed pretty evil then and that was more recent. In that they refer to Ben being dead, when/how did that happen? Also it mentions Kaine having died previously, did they both die in the Clone Saga, I must admit I didn't read it all when it first came out I kinda gave up on it and was hoping I wouldn't have to read it all.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Strider1992

@The_Madness: Kaine was killed by Spidercide during the Clone Saga:

He was then resurrected later by a company that wanted him to take part in this weird game thing where the contestants hunted prey to win. Kaine was the main event:

I don't think it was ever explored how he was resurrected but when he died the first time by Spidercide (^up there^) he didn't disintegrate like the other clones did. So at a guess i'd say he has some kind of healing factor as the suit he wore stopped his degeneration by replacing his dying his cell so maybe it heals him at an accelerated rate too? I don't know as I don't think it was ever explored but that would be my guess.

@The_Madness said:

I've only read 'Who was Ben Reilly?' so far and Kaine still seemed pretty evil then and that was more recent.

Honestly when I read the "Who was Ben Reilly?" arc it confused me as well. I have no idea why Kaine was still annoyed with Peter. I can only guess it was either lack of knowledge on the character on the writers part or something in Brand New Day changed his view on Parker and Reilly back to hate. Because prior to Brand New Day he was last seen breaking out of Ryker's island during Breakout and was then referenced again during Dark Reign. Osborn had to have extra precautions taken because Kaine was hunting him due to his involvement in the Clone Saga and bore Parker no ill will. So to answer your question I have no idea why he was portrayed as evil in that arc because he shouldn't have been.

@The_Madness said:

In that they refer to Ben being dead, when/how did that happen?

Ben died in Peter Parker: Spider-man #75:

He took a glider in the back to save Peter's life:

No Caption Provided
    The_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Madness

@Strider92: Thank you for the catch-up, very much appreciated! So all I'm really missing now is to read Grim Hunt, then Spider-Island, correct? I hope one of these address his powers a little better. Cause I don't think he had a lot of these back then mainly the organic webs, the bone wrist stingers, the ability to talk to spiders(?!?!?! haha) and the invisible spider suit. He does seem as scientificly savvy as Peter or the others, and he said it wasn't his suit.

Oh and one last thing, clicking on the Spider-Island link brought up a million different comics. Can you tell me which I *should* read, the only ones I've read were the ones along the Venom run because I'm following that. But I really don't care what happens to Cloak and Dagger during Spider Island, just want the rest of Kaine's back story.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strider1992

@The_Madness said:

@Strider92: Thank you for the catch-up, very much appreciated! So all I'm really missing now is to read Grim Hunt, then Spider-Island, correct? I hope one of these address his powers a little better. Cause I don't think he had a lot of these back then mainly the organic webs, the bone wrist stingers, the ability to talk to spiders(?!?!?! haha) and the invisible spider suit. He does seem as scientificly savvy as Peter or the others, and he said it wasn't his suit.

Oh and one last thing, clicking on the Spider-Island link brought up a million different comics. Can you tell me which I *should* read, the only ones I've read were the ones along the Venom run because I'm following that. But I really don't care what happens to Cloak and Dagger during Spider Island, just want the rest of Kaine's back story.

Amazing Spider-man #666–673 was all of Spider-island that involved Peter/Kaine. Might be worth reading those.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.