Follow

Kaine

Character » Kaine appears in 430 issues.

Kaine was the first clone of Spider-Man created by the Jackal. He was suffering from clone degeneration and became an assassin and spent years tormenting his clone brother, Ben Reilly. He has since taken up the mantle his now dead brother as the new Scarlet Spider.

Chris Yost and Ryan Stegman Discuss the Scarlet Spider

• 54 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

This week marks the debut of the new SCARLET SPIDER series. Despite being new, it will have a familiar face, just not the one many originally expected. The Scarlet Spider we will be seeing is Ben Reilly's former nemesis, Kaine.

Kaine is a clone of the original Spider-Man, created by the Jackal. Because he wasn't a perfect clone, he was discarded by his creator and soon went on a dark path. Believing Ben to be the true Spider-Man, he soon began years of tormenting him.

Recently Kaine has started turning over a new leaf. He gave up his life for Peter during the Grim Hunt and despite being resurrected for evil, managed to help save the day during Spider-Island. Despite my absolute love for Ben Reilly, I even recently wrote an article about why Kaine deserves to be the new Scarlet Spider.

With the release of the new series, we took the opportunity to talk to writer Chris Yost and artist Ryan Stegman on the new direction for Kaine.

Comic Vine: There's been mention of a villain named Salamander and the Assassin's Guild, is the plan to stay away from typical Spider-Man villains to keep them separated?

Chris Yost: We wanted to really try and establish Kaine in Houston outside the Spider-universe at first, but it's inevitable that the two will collide. So we'll see a mix of new villains, as well as villains outside of Spider-Man's world... X-Men villains like the Assassins Guild and general Marvel entities like ROXXON. But down the line, you'll start to see more Spider-villains, some major and some a little more obscure.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

CV: Who decided to use Kaine and call him the Scarlet Spider? Was this editorial's decision or did you pitch the idea of redeeming Kaine?

YOST:Steve Wacker came to me with the project, because of my long history with clones and 'red' versions of other characters. But once he said 'Kaine, Scarlet Spider, and Houston'... I was in. I'm a huge fan of Spider-Man, but an equally huge fan of violent anti-heroes. It's the best of both worlds.

In all honesty, it's the character beats that sold me. Kaine was a failure. He was disfigured, and dying. He had a horrible life. He didn't have Aunt May, buckwheat pancakes, friends, love... nothing. Unlike Ben Reilly, he doesn't have Peter's memories. He had every reason to become a villain, and did.

But after the events of Spider-Island, everything changed. He was cured. Physically, mentally, everything. Like a cancer survivor, he's got a second chance at life. And given who he was, the real story is to see what he does with it.

And I'll just say that Scarlet Spider isn't a name Kaine takes himself. There's a lot of shame there for him.

CV: How involved will Spider-Man be? Is he going to keep tabs on Kaine?

YOST: Spider-Man will lose track of Kaine, but because of certain events that are going to happen in Houston, he'll figure out where Kaine went pretty quick. Scarlet Spider goes public fast.

CV: With Venom on the road, what are the chances of a crossover? What about Spidercide?

YOST: If Venom comes down Texas way, maybe! And Spidercide...? hmmmm....

No Caption Provided

CV: Will Kaine be able to maintain a secret identity or will certain villains quickly discover who he is (like what happened to Bucky when he became Cap).

YOST: Kaine is not a traditional superhero, and doesn't think of himself as a superhero. He didn't intend to stay in Houston. So in issue one, we see him swinging around without a mask, without a costume... nothing. So you might say he's incredibly BAD at keeping his secret identity, but he'll come to see the value of it pretty quickly.

CV: Is Kaine's costume the same stealth suit he took with him after Spider-Island or is it a different suit?

YOST: It's a next gen version of the suit... all the stealth capabilities, mixed with the appearance altering qualities of the FF suit.

CV: Will there be any mention or acknowledgment to Ben Reilly?

YOST: Big time, but outside a brief flashback in issue one, not for a while.

No Caption Provided

And now for some questions for Mr. Stegman.

CV: What was your inspiration for the new costume?

Ryan Stegman: I wanted something simple and classic. I feel like a lot of times we design characters for what looks cool on the paper at that very moment. But then when the artist has to draw it repeatedly it all falls apart. And I also prefer simplicity because that never goes out of style.

This costume revolves around the red eyes on the black mask. I think that represents the character well. It's an aggressive look and it's a little bit scary. Which to me is what Kaine is all about. He doesn't want to look like everybody's favorite superhero. He wants to intimidate and scare his enemies. But at the same time, he IS a hero. So it covers all those bases.

CV: You've mentioned wanting to move away from the hoodie, is it gone for good?

STEGMAN: I wouldn't say it's gone for good. It makes its appearances in the book. But really, the hoodie is Ben Reilly's. Kaine is absolutely not Ben Reilly. I think the hoodie would look funny on a character that has the personality of Kaine. I know some people will disagree with me, but I just don't think it fits him.

No Caption Provided

CV: Whose idea was it for Kaine to get a makeover (buzz cut, etc)?

STEGMAN: I believe that would have been Chris and Steve's idea, though I agree with it. I like the bearded, long-haired look. But this is the lead character in the book, and readers need to relate to him facially. And all that other stuff covers up his face. Also, it makes sense for Kaine to have a new look, since he's essentially starting over. If you had Kaine's past and suddenly felt like you had a chance to really live, wouldn't you want to sever ties with your old self?

No Caption Provided

CV: Kaine used to be a bulkier character, is his slimmer look due to the cure in Spider-Island?

No Caption Provided

STEGMAN: That's never been said, but I don't think that's a bad hypothesis. I prefer him to look slimmer for artistic purposes. When he was a bad guy, it made sense to be bulky and mean looking. But most of the shots of him are him standing on a rooftop, standing straight up and down. That wouldn't look too cool on a heroic character web-slinging through a city. And web-slinging wouldn't be very easy with a barrel chest and gigantic arms. He needs to be limber.

CV: With the new supporting characters and villains, have you been given free reign over the designs or is Chris giving you notes and suggestions?

STEGMAN: Chris definitely gives me notes and suggestions. But it's still pretty much free reign. I give Chris ideas for the story, and Chris gives me ideas for the art. It's how it should be. But designing characters is far too fun. I can't get enough of it. It's definitely one of the biggest perks about working on this book.

CV: Do you often find yourself trying to crouch down into Spider-Man-ish poses to capture the essence of the character?

STEGMAN: Ha, yes! Of course. I find myself striking poses of all the characters that I work on. It just makes sense when drawing them. But yeah, with Spider-characters you have to get into some pretty silly poses. And the key is, to get yourself into those crazy poses and feel what is happening in your body, what is twisting and pulling, and then push it 100% further, beyond what is possible in your own body. Those are the coolest poses to me.

SCARLET SPIDER #1 is on sale Wednesday, January 11.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

For some reason, having Scarlett Spider in Houston, Texas appeals to me. I don't know..I just don't think I see enough superheroes/villains in the American South so this seems refreshing to me.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

i will pass. marvel, yet again is saturating the market with variations of the same. the avengers are like the wu tang clan with tons of books, and then the only characters to my knowledge now who have books are spider man, wolverine, cap and iron man. daredevil has a book, and like 40 x men books. i thought they wanted to slim down, not bloat the market with 5 dollar books with 40 different variants each.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

Lovin' it. I like Kaine, it just sucks that Benny Boy isn't here.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

Wait doesn't Kain still have Peters face. Are they going to pill a Clark Kent and make us believe a shorter haircut will keep people from thinking Peter is the Scarlet Spider or at least his twin. Which will lead people to believe Peter is Spiderman.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Oh man, oh man, oh man I cant freaking WAIT

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Dernman said:

Wait doesn't Kain still have Peters face. Are they going to pill a Clark Kent and make us believe a shorter haircut will keep people from thinking Peter is the Scarlet Spider or at least his twin. Which will lead people to believe Peter is Spiderman.

I would think as he's in another part of the country no one would even know who Peter Parker is.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

This is gonna kick so much ass.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I am super excited to read the first issue of Scarlet Spider this week. It should be a fun read.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
    deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Can't wait!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @InnerVenom123 said:

This is gonna kick so much ass.

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WildStyle

Looks good

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BatClaw89

@mikeclark1982: Exactly!!!!! That's what I've been saying. thousands of expensive and redundant comics just flooding the market and if I might add hurting the comic book industry.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey

the hoodie IS scarlet spider bring it back

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By kingjoeg

I love that tagline "all of the power, none of the responsibility". Can't wait to read the first issue.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @BatClaw89 said:

@mikeclark1982: Exactly!!!!! That's what I've been saying. thousands of expensive and redundant comics just flooding the market and if I might add hurting the comic book industry.

How is this redundant exactly?
    CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CapFanboy

@mikeclark1982 said:

i will pass. marvel, yet again is saturating the market with variations of the same. the avengers are like the wu tang clan with tons of books, and then the only characters to my knowledge now who have books are spider man, wolverine, cap and iron man. daredevil has a book, and like 40 x men books. i thought they wanted to slim down, not bloat the market with 5 dollar books with 40 different variants each.

I'm pretty sure Kaine's book is going to be MUCH more different than the regular spidey book. He's nothing like Peter and at least this book branches outside of New York.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

@spiderbat87: with marvel you have ALL of these books but none of the characters have ongoing series. how many folks did they say when disney bought em out? marvel has ALMOST FOUR THOUSAND CHARACTERS and they have like 30 books, and TWENTY OF THEM ARE TEAM BOOKS! then most of them are the same! spider man should not have 90 books, nor does wolveirne. the x-men have 9 books, and what, x-23 (canceled) and deadpool, wolverine, and some more guys have books. i would love to read more about other characters, but no. marvel would just like to say "if you like him, read him in YET ANOTHER BOOK!" seriously? yeah, dc does have what 4 books between batman and superman, but every character in DC now has a book. and do not get me on marvel and their variants. not every book deserves a variant. it is overkill.

Kurupted13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kurupted13

Looks epic

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @mikeclark1982 said:

@spiderbat87: with marvel you have ALL of these books but none of the characters have ongoing series. how many folks did they say when disney bought em out? marvel has ALMOST FOUR THOUSAND CHARACTERS and they have like 30 books, and TWENTY OF THEM ARE TEAM BOOKS! then most of them are the same! spider man should not have 90 books, nor does wolveirne. the x-men have 9 books, and what, x-23 (canceled) and deadpool, wolverine, and some more guys have books. i would love to read more about other characters, but no. marvel would just like to say "if you like him, read him in YET ANOTHER BOOK!" seriously? yeah, dc does have what 4 books between batman and superman, but every character in DC now has a book. and do not get me on marvel and their variants. not every book deserves a variant. it is overkill.

That's all well and good but this book is not about Spider-Man, It's about Kain.
    Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Watcherg6

Yea more than one spiderman!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Watcherg6 said:

Yea more than one spiderman!

Kaine is NOTHING like Spider-Man
    kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By kingjoeg

@mikeclark1982: I bet your still going to pick this book up after this rant.

Avatar image for top_flight_security
    Top Flight Security

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm picking this up! Looks good to me!

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dedpool

Can't wait!!! Makes alot of sense too! Now they just need a Spider-family crossover with Spidey, Scrlet, and Spidergirl now that she has powers again.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By redhood21

Today is a good day.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    I haven't read any spider-books since OMD, but i will read this.
    Kaine is a great character, hope they don't soften him too much.

@mikeclark1982 said:

@spiderbat87: marvel has ALMOST FOUR THOUSAND CHARACTERS.

We have over 14.000 marvel characters listed.
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Dedpool said:
    Can't wait!!! Makes alot of sense too! Now they just need a Spider-family crossover with Spidey, Scrlet, and Spidergirl now that she has powers again.
    Don't forget Venom
    sky-pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sky-pirate

@Dernman said:

I doubt anyone in Houston has ever heard off Peter Parker, much less seen his face (nor would they know, that the Scarlet Spider is a clone of Spider-Man). When Ben went back to NYC, he had problems because he kept bumping into folks knowing Peter. Living in Texas, will spare Kaine that problem.

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

For some reason, having Scarlett Spider in Houston, Texas appeals to me. I don't know..I just don't think I see enough superheroes/villains in the American South so this seems refreshing to me.

I agree. 99 % of Marvel's characters are based around New York. Making it extremely crowded. NYC isn't a place, you'd connect with one specific superhero (Marvel or DC). It's nobody's town like Metropolis is Superman's town, Coast City is Hal Jordan/Green Lantern's town, Gotham's Batman, Keystone and Central City is the playing ground of the Flashes, etc.. That you'd think off this one specific superhero, upon merely hearing the name of the city. When DC launched their Power Girl series, I was disappointed, that they chose to set it in NYC. As opposed to having her move to a new town, that becomes synonymous with her.

Moving Kaine out of NYC, to Houston, isn't just refreshing when it comes to superhero comics, but overall refreshing. I think New York's the american city used the most in american fiction (movies, books, television, comics, etc.). I can't think off that many things set in Houston.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By KEROGA

awesome! i hero in houston!....i live in houston so yeaa

MarvelMan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By MarvelMan1985

Although I didnt like the idea, I just know Chris Yost will make this be good. He is one of the best, but too underrated, writers today :) 
    His New X-men run was awesome.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will be looking forward for this.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Video_Martian

@Death Certificate said:

Will be looking forward for this.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By SpidermanWins

I've been so looking forward to this

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

@kingjoeg: last bought a marvel book in august 09. doubt that

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#35  Edited By kartron

@mikeclark1982 said:

This is exactly why I find it hard to get on Marvel bandwagon... just too much stuff to digest out there even if you try to follow just ONE character....

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

@kartron: don't get me wrong. i was a fan of marvel. most of my trades are marvel. was a marvel fan for life, but if you quit reading comics for a year, especially marvel and come back a year, even half a year later, you are going to be so confused. when quesada came, he said he wanted to streamline the company. there was not going to be tons of books, but you had tons of spider man books and a venom book. then there were 3 x books because x-factor was canceled and x force changed. the punisher was part of the MAX line, and then come 06, it all changed. everything went crazy after civil war. now the x books are the same if even more than the 90s and the avengers? well bendis kept his promise by saying there would be as many avengers books as x books. it is too much and i gave up.

peregrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 56

#37  Edited By peregrine  Online

I like Kaine's costume...looks alot like Flipside from Spider-Man 2099...cant wait to read this. Tho I do wonder where the other Scarlet Spider, Patrick, is.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#38  Edited By The Impersonator

All of the power. None of the responsibility? It seems that he doesn't want to become a superhero. =P

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By frogjitsu

Forget Kaine running into Spidey or Venom, I want to see and encounter with Wolverine's clone. Not only would we get sweet clone on clone action, but we'd also have Yost writing X-23 again which would be awesome!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By BatteredArmor

Can't wait for this.........but the last question was weird

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

for some reason...i like that Stegman guy

Avatar image for spiderman20991992
    spiderman20991992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm okay with the scarlet spider being Kaine, but i dont think it can be justified calling Kaine the scarlet spider. I hope Ben Reilly eventually comes back torn hoddie and all.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Autopsad

Can't wait to read it !!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I'm getting hung up on is the suit. How exactly does Kaine get a second generation stealth suit with the appearance altering properties of a Future Foundation suit? I'm hoping Peter sends this to him because Kaine has never been noted to have scientific inclinations and even though he technically has the same intelligence capability as Peter he has none of the education so suddenly allowing him to improve a suit created by Peter is a bit far-fetched. Hopefully there is a good explanation because aside from that I can't wait for this book. To be honest Marvel has been letting me down a lot lately and even though I'm still bitter over OMD/BND the only book I keep coming back to is Spider-Man and hopefully this will be a good addition.

BTW.........Kaine's costume looks much better than Miles' new Ultimate Spider-Man look.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Eyz

Looking and sounding nice so far!

Can't wait!

kadosho_16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kadosho_16bit

Kaine has always been the odd one out. In the recent ASM issues, re-establishing who he is (anti-hero) is a fun dynamic. I wonder what they'll come up for him in his new adventures as Scarlet Spidey.

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DXmagma

@spiderbat87: That would really depend on how public Horizon is about it's workers.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @DXmagma said:

@spiderbat87: That would really depend on how public Horizon is about it's workers.

Still it's not as if he's going to be world famous or anything 
    CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Its not everyday Chris Yost does a superhero book based in Houston (Htown Represent). Im in.

@KEROGA: I'm so with you there buddy. What Lcs you go to?

UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By UnosInfinitos

Houston, TX? He's going to find swinging to not be the best forms of transportation haha

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.