Follow

Justice Society of America

Team » Justice Society of America appears in 1368 issues.

The Justice Society of America was the 1st super team in the DCU. Currently, they are a large group of crime-fighters that are protecting and rebuilding Monument Point following a catastrophic battle. The emphasis here is on training and preparing the next generation of heroes.

DC Reboot - What lies ahead for the JSA?

notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By notoriousbcb

If DC is looking to modernize the DC Universe, what will become of the JSA?  Going back to the days of All-Star Squadron, the JSA has always been near and dear to me.  I was thrilled that the team made it through Crisis intact and love the idea of a senior team to mentor and counsel the next generation of superheroes.  Given that, I feel they definitely have a place in the rebooted DC.  They play a role that the Justice League has never, and will never be able to fulfill.  

What do you think?

All Star Comics Unused Cover - Dave Johnson
    All Star Comics Unused Cover - Dave Johnson
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

They all end up in a nursing home for super heroes. Just kidding.
    notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By notoriousbcb
    @Jake Fury: Drooling and mumbling something about an Earth 2 right?
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DEGRAAF

I liked them but i am hesitent about what is going to be their future. IN the current continuity i thought some should have died, some should have been killed, and the rest should have retired long ago.
    redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By redmanta

so  far no word about jsa

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By fodigg

I've been thinking about this for a while. What happens to a book that's steeped in tradition and legacy when it all gets rebooted?

TonyIngram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TonyIngram

Apparently, they get dumped as though they were totally disposable. Which is why I won't be buying DC anymore after the reboot. DC without the Golden Age characters is pointless.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Adnan

Some of the solicit descriptions are interesting. For example, JLA #1

Comics superstars Geoff Johns and Jim Lee make history!In a universe where super heroes are strange and new, Batman has discovered a dark evil that requires him to unite the World Greatest Heroes!

Perhaps the JSA are still around, but their role will undoubtedly be different. There are some characters I can't imagine them outright wiping - such as Alan Scott. For one thing, no Alan Scott = no Jade = removing a huge chunk of Kyle Rayner's backstory/history.
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

It would be interesting to see everything merge (character relations might give it the spark), but no more multiverse stories. Seeing as how Superman will be younger, I'd like to see an older superhero give him lessons on who he can and cannot save, what makes up the good and the bad and the consequences of his actions. For a while, I thought Batman might have been the one to play the role, because mentors and students usually make the best friends. Like the way they portrayed the older heroes in Smallville, this idea sounds better to me.

notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By notoriousbcb

Needless to say, I'm bummed. . .given Mr. Terrific's and Hawkman's solo titles, and the absent of any other announcement, I can assume the following characters have been mothballed:

• Jay Garrick
    • Alan Scott
    • Wildcat
    • Stargirl
    • Dr. Mid-Nite
    • Hourman
    • Damage
    • Dr. Fate
    Given the lack of Alan Scott and the changes to Mr. Terrific, you also have to assume that Checkmate is gone.  Wow.
    MydLyfeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MydLyfeCrysis

At least it's been said Power Girl will appear in one of the new titles. But I hope and hope that we see another title for the golden age heroes.

notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By notoriousbcb
    @MydLyfeCrysis said:
    At least it's been said Power Girl will appear in one of the new titles. But I hope and hope that we see another title for the golden age heroes.
    Agreed.  I loved that the golden age heroes had become mentor's for subsequent generations.
    Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mumbles

powergirl was the only good one. i'm glad they all gone.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I hope they survive, especially Alan. The lack of their own title doesn't mean that they're gone.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @notoriousbcb
    Idk, Stargirl and Damage are young enough to be on the JLA and Fate could be a villain or an upcoming character in Justice League Dark
    notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By notoriousbcb
    @DEGRAAF said:
    @notoriousbcb: Idk, Stargirl and Damage are young enough to be on the JLA and Fate could be a villain or an upcoming character in Justice League Dark
    Interesting.  The idea of Dr. Fate taking a villain turn in JLD could be very cool.
    MydLyfeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MydLyfeCrysis
    @notoriousbcb said:
    @DEGRAAF said:
    @notoriousbcb: Idk, Stargirl and Damage are young enough to be on the JLA and Fate could be a villain or an upcoming character in Justice League Dark
    Interesting.  The idea of Dr. Fate taking a villain turn in JLD could be very cool.
    That really could be an interesting idea. I really dug the Dr. Fate character, and having him return in such a capacity would provide an engrossing tale at least. We always see the villains make a move to the light, even if temporarily. Now a move in the opposite direction (I am familiar with Irredeemable), and with a character such as Dr. Fate, guarantees my readership.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @MydLyfeCrysis said:
    @notoriousbcb said:
    @DEGRAAF said:
    That really could be an interesting idea. I really dug the Dr. Fate character, and having him return in such a capacity would provide an engrossing tale at least. We always see the villains make a move to the light, even if temporarily. Now a move in the opposite direction (I am familiar with Irredeemable), and with a character such as Dr. Fate, guarantees my readership.

Yea i like the idea too. He could practically become the Dr. Doom of the DCU
    Avatar image for captain_majestic
    Captain Majestic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Captain Majestic

I would love to see an Alan Scott monthly, or maybe even do a father daughter teamup with him and Jade.  I would hate to see the real green lantern disapear

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By roadbuster

During the Silver Age "reboot" there was no JSA either, until the "Flash of Two Worlds" in 1961 brought Jay Garrick back into mainstream DCU continuity and, eventually, the JSA along with him. 

I'm sure the same thing is happening now.  At the beginning of a relaunch you focus on crystallizing, marketing, and developing your flagship characters... and once they're grounded and established, you use them as an anchor to bring back in any concepts or characters you miss. 

If you put the JSA, with all their history and legacy and continuity limitations, into the mix of a relaunch with continuity being reworked... and the interest in the JSA is only half-hearted compared to the interest in developing the flagships... then you'll get a mess like Hawkman's many conflicting histories.  The persons writing the JSA book- no matter how passionate- are going to be hamstrung by the reinvented continuity that the flagship writers want to tell... and that's assuming you even get any kind of communication at all (not everyone sees everyone's developing scripts).  So if Grant Morrison wants to tell his epic story of Superman being the first hero to debut and awe the world, then whoever is writing JSA has to figure out how their heroes operated without being remembered, etc.  It gets clumsy and convoluted and the JSA deserve better. 

The JSA is a great team and has been a great book, but as a property they're not a priority, so I'd rather let the dust settle before introducing a team that is so history heavy.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By MrUnknown
    @DEGRAAF said:
    @MydLyfeCrysis said:
    @notoriousbcb said:
    @DEGRAAF said:
    Love the sub-message in there. Our "fate" is "doomed"! XD
    Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bearded Justice

love the JSA and would hate to see them go! 

hopefully some characters will make appearances in the new titles
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Nighthunter

I've been thinking, in the new DCU Superman may be the first superhero but that doesn't mean that the JSA couldn't have been there before but counted as the mystery men. 

The JSA also fought the world war II so they could still exist without the term superhero. 

Superman is estblished in the solicit as the first superhero, not the first superhuman

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By roadbuster
    @Nighthunter: That's just troubleshooting one thing, but given the ties and scope of the JSA, imagine all the creators you're going to have to fact-check with or argue with in order to have a cohesive new DCU continuity.  There's still 7 other JLA members which may or may not include either JSA characters or legacies.  There's Mr. Terrific and The Flash running around.  If you're the JSA writer, your property is a lower priority than JLA or Flash so your continuity ideas have to give way to theirs... but how do you write your best story if you're constantly getting new notes or rewrites from one of the larger properties who are writing new backstory and continuity for themselves concurrently with yours? 

You can either: 1) Ignore their continuity; 2) Compromise your writing to be at their beck and call; 3) Divorce the JSA from continuity and historical significance. 

1) Puts you in the Hawkman problem.  2) Provides you with lower quality JSA stories.  3) Strips the JSA of two of their most important features. 

Why isn't it better to wait for all the continuity to shake out, then have the JSA find their place in that and debut strongly and consistently with the new DC history... rather than try to play a guessing game as to what they can or can't touch upon?
    notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By notoriousbcb
    @MrUnknown said:
    @DEGRAAF said:
    @MydLyfeCrysis said:
    @notoriousbcb said:
    @DEGRAAF said:
    Love the sub-message in there. Our "fate" is "doomed"! XD
    Indeed.  Well said.
    notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By notoriousbcb
    @Nighthunter: Nice point regarding DC's choice of words with respect to Superman.  I agree that they've definitely left the door open for the JSA.
    destruct0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By destruct0

Coming out first in 1940, being the first superhero team ever in comic book history; I think they deserve a little more respect than it seems they're getting.  I just don't think the DC world is complete without these Golden Age heroes who have been around since World War II, both in the comic world and ours in a way.  Gotta' say, this is one DC fan who isn't looking at buying any new comics anytime soon...  Guess I'll be able to pick up some of the older ones to complete my collection though.. 

(It would be funny if somehow Power Girl was once again, still aware of the universe change.  She's survived so many so far, it's a shame to ruin a good thing! XD)

notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By notoriousbcb

@destruct0 said:

Coming out first in 1940, being the first superhero team ever in comic book history; I think they deserve a little more respect than it seems they're getting. I just don't think the DC world is complete without these Golden Age heroes who have been around since World War II, both in the comic world and ours in a way. Gotta' say, this is one DC fan who isn't looking at buying any new comics anytime soon... Guess I'll be able to pick up some of the older ones to complete my collection though.. (It would be funny if somehow Power Girl was once again, still aware of the universe change. She's survived so many so far, it's a shame to ruin a good thing! XD)

I agree. They definitely deserve more respect. Love the point regarding PG's awareness of the universe change. . .

junkmasterzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By junkmasterzero

From the upcoming Shade Maxi(?)-Series: 

James Robinson returns to the world of his acclaimed STARMAN series with a new 12-issue series starring the antihero known as The Shade! An attack at the Starman museum kicks off a globe-hopping, centuries spanning quest that will irrevocably change The Shade's life, and ultimately shed light on his true origin! 

Why would they have a Starman Museum if Super-heroes are strange and new, and if the JSA never existed?  I'm hoping there is more to this than what is being said.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.