shawn87's Justice Society of America: The Bad Seed #1 - TPB review

Avatar image for shawn87
  • shawn87 wrote this review on .
  • shawn87 has written a total of 597 reviews. The last one was for

JSA Divided

The Story:

War has been declared on the Justice Society Of America that ends up tearing them apart.

The Story:

A new direction has been taken with writers Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges taking over writing duties. I was a little disappointed with the previous story arc and concerned with how the following issues of the series would turn out. This was a step in the right direction but I'm not as intrigued with the series as I once was.

The writers didn't waste any time at all getting things going. Immediately events start to unfold that threaten the foundation and strength of the JSA. A revelation about Obsidian is revealed that leaves the members of the JSA confounded. A group of super-villains attacks the JSA and picks them off one by one. They were well prepared and blindsided the them with minimal effort. We learn the members of the JSA have a price on their heads with the exception of Stargirl for some apparent reason that has yet to be revealed. If you've been following this series, you'd have noticed something is going on that involves Stargirl. I believe certain members of the JSA know something about it but aren't saying anything. I'm curious to find this out as even Stargirl knows nothing about this.

Tension begins to make its way throughout the ranks of the JSA. Aside from that, there appears to be a traitor within the Brownstone. Some attacked and killed a JSA member leaving everyone suspicious and on edge. This doesn't help matters when it comes to finding out who's responsible and what course of action needs to be taken. Some of my favorite moments of this story came when members were at odds with each other. I look forward to seeing what happens next as the last page was quite the cliffhanger.

Artist Jesus Merino comes aboard the series. He's never exactly blown me away with his artwork but this is some of his better work. I think my problem with his work often times is the way it's inked. The coloring of Allen Passalaqua was one of the strong points of the art. Overall it isn't too bad, but could use some improvement.

This was better than the prior story arc, but I still didn't feel that same excitement I had when I began reading this series. Geoff Johns absence is felt and missed. I am interested in what direction the series will take after that shocking cliffhanger.

Rating: 4/5