inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

This is the start to the next story from JUSTICE LEAGUE. It's going to be an all-out war. Here's the thing, JUSTICE LEAGUE has been hit or miss. It's always been executed pretty well, but many of the stories have been forgettable in the New 52. That really changed with "The Amazo Virus." It really brought this sense of fun into the book and we got a memorable story that didn't bleed into the rest of DC books. That all continues here, for now.

This issue is one, giant "catch em' up" for people who don't know much about the worlds of New Genesis and Apokolips. Sure, it does seem like an info-dump at times (more about that later), but it's put together well and has a broad appeal. New readers will get an understanding between these two worlds and those already familiar with it all with get to see some moments fans haven't witnessed in the New 52.

The issue follows Metron, who takes the readers through the history between the two planets and how they're locked in war every 100 years or so. We also get to see the two leaders of these planets, Highfather and Darkseid, trade sons as part of a peace treaty. Metron drives the story and while there's no one from the actual Justice League here, Geoff Johns spins a good tale that will get readers invested in the story.

There's a ton of artists on this book: Kevin Maguire, Phil Jimenez, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Scott Kolins, Jason Fabok, and Jim Lee with Scott Williams. Colorists Brad Anderson and Alex Sinclair give the book a cohesiveness to everything. While this laundry list of creators looks a bit weird, it actually works extremely well in the book as those artists have specific duties on very specific pages representing specific times in the DCU. (specific... just had to write it one more time) It really is Anderson and Sinclair that bring this all together though. Maguire and Lee are really the caps here for the book as they work on the most pages, and it is wonderful to see Lee doing some art again. Don't get me wrong, Fabok has been amazing, but Lee's final pages are really beautiful and his work on JL has given this series a specific look and feel.

The Bad

This issue is an info-dump. Some of it is needed info while some of it feels like just a tad too much for the overall issue. There is so much info about New Genesis and Apokolips and the crisis that have happened in the past. The issue does read a bit like a history book. It's all done extremely well and lots of the information appears to be vital for the upcoming story, but it can get dense at times.

So the build up here is great, but there's nagging feeling in the back of my head "more events? more giant stories that can spill-over into other books?" That's not all technically true but there's heavy skeptical feeling I have. Sure, "The Amazo Virus" story was self-contained, but Darkseid War seems almost too big to contain within this single book. This is more of a concern than something "bad" within the book.

I worry that Metron will get blood clots from sitting all the time.

The Verdict

JUSTICE LEAGUE #40 is a pretty big info dump. Luckily, it's done pretty dang well and does a fantastic job at getting the reader excited for the upcoming Darkseid War. More than anything, it's really nice to have this book during this month as a break from CONVERGENCE. It's a breath of fresh air and gives readers something to look forward to. I highly recommend check this out this week just so you can take a break from the event.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Hyped.

The beginning was very-meta.

Like something out of a Grant Morrison comic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego The Darkseid war will not crossover to other titles.

But I think it is mentioned there will be some tie-in one-shots.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So the league isn't focused on at all in this? Are they at least seen?

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No actual JLA?! Lol

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

So the league isn't focused on at all in this? Are they at least seen?

Only once and in a flashback.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By vandinejd_1991

@g-man and @inferiorego: Do you know when the events of the Justice League series take place in relation to other series? Im asking because all of the Justice League members have their original design at least on the cover of 41, and was wondering if Darkseid War takes place before whatever occurs before the Justice League's members post-Convergence redesign.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

off to great start

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Well that drastically decreases my excitement for this issue. But I guess its just a prologue so that's OK.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@squalleon: Well that drastically decreases my excitement for this issue. But I guess its just a prologue so that's OK.

To be honest. The story set up is very good. Personally I didn't even miss the JL in this issue :P

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was just confusing.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like it is was on point.

There is going to be tons of more back stories going forward.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna start Darkseid War with issue 41 and have read Forever Evil and most of Justice League before Forever Evil. Does anyone recommend this issue as essential if I'm mostly aware of whats been going on with the JL?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna start Darkseid War with issue 41 and have read Forever Evil and most of Justice League before Forever Evil. Does anyone recommend this issue as essential if I'm mostly aware of whats been going on with the JL?

Definitely essential. It brings you up to date and gives you an overview of the plot.

But Johns said he made issue 41 as new reader friendly as possible.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can't wait to pic this up!

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By justice teen

Love how they connected everything in the History of DC Universe and hinted that there will not be another major reboot for a long time. Not sure how I feel about the anti-monitor being a New god, or Metron being a Monitor.Since one is the predecessor to the others job. Finally saw Darkseid daughter so that's a plus. Convergence was reference but not Multiversity, but in Multiversity NIx utotan said he set loose darkseid. Overall I am ready to see how this unfolds.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im wondering how this, convergence and multiversity fit together

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rubear

@superior_prime_maybe said:

Convergence is mentioned as happening. Dunno about Multiversity.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check it out at the shop today.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dondave

@dondave: how was it confusing

The Anti-Monitor in this story is the same Anti-Moniotr COIE despite the fact that Johns killed him during Backest Night.

Also that Metron apaprently has existed since before Crisis on Infinite Earths despite all the New Gods being affected by Flashpoint and him being killed by the Source during Death of the New Gods and then hinting that he doesn't seem to be a New God anymore.

Not to mention the fact that apparently Anti-Monitor is the owner of Mobius chair despite us knowing of his COIE origin story which had nothing to do with him being an observer of universes but rather being the counterpart of the Monitor and trying to kill him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: After reading it, I actually think it was done really well and kept my interest all the way through. But given the effect of DS and Anti-Monitor fighting, I have a hard time seeing how this story can only take place in and affect the justice league series. It seems a lot bigger than that. It definitely got me excited to see the two battle though

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm glad the New Gods are getting some limelight!

Would love to see some characters get more attention though. How big will this story be?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@squalleon: After reading it, I actually think it was done really well and kept my interest all the way through. But given the effect of DS and Anti-Monitor fighting, I have a hard time seeing how this story can only take place in and affect the justice league series. It seems a lot bigger than that. It definitely got me excited to see the two battle though

Johns said JL will read like an event book. But it will be completely autonomous and not a crossover. He also said while most titles will feel like their own little universes (post convergence), JL will be the title that will make the world-building and will connect them all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: *Sigh* that already sounds confusing and it hasn't even started yet. The "world building" part is what worried me, but I'm still very excited for this story. I'll wait and see though.

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
    Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: It's not really confusing. It's out of continuity like Action Comics has been lately. If you have a chance read some of the books that have been leading up to this.. Justice League books mostly but Forever Evil is essential..

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_stegman  Moderator

This was a great issue. Called back to the various Crises and Convergence and gave more depth to Anti Monitor.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Cool issue. The war has begun...

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great start for an epic story arc.. hoping for tie ins.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love how they connected everything in the History of DC Universe and hinted that there will not be another major reboot for a long time. Not sure how I feel about the anti-monitor being a New god, or Metron being a Monitor.Since one is the predecessor to the others job. Finally saw Darkseid daughter so that's a plus. Convergence was reference but not Multiversity, but in Multiversity NIx utotan said he set loose darkseid. Overall I am ready to see how this unfolds.

can you explain where you got this from? i mean its great news but i just seem to have missed it.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JuliusTakalua

So how do you guys think this will tie up to Convergence and Multiversity?

Would love to have a discussion about all the new retcons and the story of the DC multiverse so far

No Caption Provided

Here's the map of the DCMU just in case people did not read Multiversity

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By asjmooney

Pumped for this

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing issue. Haven't read such a good comic in awhile. Excited for this.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I liked this issua a lot. Got me excited for the story.

And we knew this was going to be a "catch up" issue. The title was "Prologue" lol.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By deathstroke52

The hype for #41 is real!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: I don't think you actaully read the lssue lol it was not confusing at all. There's gonna be a war against darkseid. Any questions?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
    @holyserpent said:

@dondave: how was it confusing

The Anti-Monitor in this story is the same Anti-Moniotr COIE despite the fact that Johns killed him during Backest Night.

Also that Metron apaprently has existed since before Crisis on Infinite Earths despite all the New Gods being affected by Flashpoint and him being killed by the Source during Death of the New Gods and then hinting that he doesn't seem to be a New God anymore.

Not to mention the fact that apparently Anti-Monitor is the owner of Mobius chair despite us knowing of his COIE origin story which had nothing to do with him being an observer of universes but rather being the counterpart of the Monitor and trying to kill him.

I'm pretty sure their saying that Anti-Monitor and Metron exist outside the Multiverse and remain aware of all the previous timelines on a level similar to the current Braniac who despite having different incarnations in different timelines and Multiveres has always been the same Braniac.

Perhaps implying that whatever caused Anti-Monitor to lose his seat on the chair also gave him a different origin in the past Crisis.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they havnt mentioned multiversity

but convergence is mentioned in the title and its pretty funny because in this issue a "certain character" basically blows the whole event off as meaningless lol

i won't spoilt it but i think Geoff Johns is taking a shot at that event as if he were saying this event MATTERS more than Convergence. Convergence is basically a filler meant to be a gap so that the writters of the other titles like Batman, green lantern, superman etc. can play catch up and writters can be shifted to new titles etc.
    its also meant to bridge a gap for earth 2, which i havnt been following but other viners have told me that as well

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superior_prime_maybe said:

Well they havnt mentioned multiversity

but convergence is mentioned in the title and its pretty funny because in this issue a "certain character" basically blows the whole event off as meaningless lol

i won't spoilt it but i think Geoff Johns is taking a shot at that event as if he were saying this event MATTERS more than Convergence. Convergence is basically a filler meant to be a gap so that the writters of the other titles like Batman, green lantern, superman etc. can play catch up and writters can be shifted to new titles etc.

its also meant to bridge a gap for earth 2, which i havnt been following but other viners have told me that as well

Oh yeah. All these event are preludes to Divergent i believe. Kinda like the time with all those major crossover preludes with Infinite Crisis.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.