Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Undeadpool

The Good

There’s something to be said for a good, solid, traditional superhero story, particularly amidst shake-ups, events and crossovers that are seemingly becoming the new norm, leaving thee status quo in a state of perpetual shakeup, and robbing the notion of any kind of logic or consistency. This is a return to form for the Justice League and I think it couldn’t have come at a better time. Geoff Johns is, of course, a seasoned veteran of these characters and this title, so he writes the story of Lex Luthor’s virus gone amok with an effortless skill. This issue gives us a closer look at how the virus works and, perhaps even more importantly, why Luthor developed it in the first place. If he’s telling the truth, and that is of course a massive IF, it not only makes sense, but it rescues the mad genius from the pit of returning to his old “world domination” ways. I’ve always thought Luthor was at his most interesting when he truly believed that what he was doing was helping, that he WAS a hero and I think one of the best changes that spawned out of Forever Evil was him actually joining the Justice League. It’s good to see that, at least from this, Johns intends on keeping him there.

Jason Fabok handles the linework and does a simply amazing job. He’s an interesting choice for a Justice League title as those tend to skew more toward the epic and bombastic visually while Fabok is more known for grittier fare, but he fits right in on this titles dark, dreary post-The Stand look and feel. He brings a sense of grit and grittiness to the issue, but still manages to make the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman look upright and dignified, nearly brimming with hope even as everything is crumbling around them. There’s not a lot of action in this issue, but there’s an absolutely savage intensity that permeates everything that’s going on and Fabok communicates the desperation as well as the intensity of the situation in every panel and on everyone’s faces. Brad Anderson provides the colors and it would be difficult to imagine the desperation and the dreariness of this title coming through nearly as well without his dreary-yet-razor-sharp style. The fact that it’s raining through most of the issue and it still looks this good and clear and detailed is a credit to his work.

The Bad

This issue, unfortunately, opens with a multipage recap that, while visually interesting, doesn’t advance the story a great deal (of the three pages, only one is advancing the plot, the other two are simply recapping it) and it feels like wasted space. It’s visually interesting, at the very least, but it feels like these same visuals could be applied to something other than what happened last issue.

There’s also a flagrant deus-ex machina that robs a lot of the previous issue’s cliffhanger of its bite. The whole sequence isn’t bad, but it comes off as sloppy where one or two things happen because they must rather than because they should. It hardly ruins the issue, and it’s cool in the moment, but it doesn’t hold up to critical scrutiny.

The Verdict

This issue may not be setting the world on fire, but frankly the world could use some cooling off anyway. What we get is a solid, Luthor-focussed issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE (still feels weird to type Luthor and Justice League without talking about them battling) that helps answer a few questions, but leaves a few tantalizingly open, and does a great job cementing the character’s role in the League. Hopefully he’s there to stay, because he brings a certain something to the title and the team that strengthens it on a lot of levels.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I loved this issue and me and Wonder Woman might be the only ones that truly believe in Lex.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

I loved this issue and me and Wonder Woman might be the only ones that truly believe in Lex.

Maybe that is why when asked Johns said that the relationship between superman and Wonder woman would end badly. Because Wonder Woman cheates on Superman with Lex Luthor.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

Maybe that is why when asked Johns said that the relationship between superman and Wonder woman would end badly. Because Wonder Woman cheates on Superman with Lex Luthor.

-_-

RedHush1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Lex Luthor is Earth's only hope im telling you all

VegasLantern17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VegasLantern17

I am loving this storyline and hope Lex Luthor stays in the Justice League for a very long time.

Also that was a very well written review Corey. I feel like people don't compliment you guys enough.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Most satisfying issue yet. The plot advanced in a better pace than the previous two that I found horribly slow. The character moments were great. Fabok is a really good fit for this title.

Agreed on the bad.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

The fuck?

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@black_arrow said:

@sodamyat said:

-_-

hey remember when the solicitation for this came out and people were predicting a smww break up? yeah me neither lol.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@black_arrow said:

@sodamyat said:

-_-

hey remember when the solicitation for this came out and people were predicting a smww break up? yeah me neither lol.

A long time ago, Johns said that the relation ship between Superman and Wonder Woman would end up badly (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/USSENTERPRISE/news/?a=78589). I was joking the Luthor part.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: i got the luthor joke, even if it did make me gag.

as for what johns said, the keywords are a long time ago, because money talks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

Maybe that is why when asked Johns said that the relationship between superman and Wonder woman would end badly. Because Wonder Woman cheates on Superman with Lex Luthor...

...Only to find out that Superman was cheating with Luthor first.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

Am I the only one who thinks that Shazam should have been able to drive off the virus the same way Superman and Wonder Woman did?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

A long time ago, Johns said that the relation ship between Superman and Wonder Woman would end up badly (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/USSENTERPRISE/news/?a=78589). I was joking the Luthor part.

Yeah, but at this point it's out of his hands. When asked about it again sometime ago he gave a vague answer about them ending or not.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@black_arrow said:

@sodamyat said:

Maybe that is why when asked Johns said that the relationship between superman and Wonder woman would end badly. Because Wonder Woman cheates on Superman with Lex Luthor...

please remove my name from this conversation. Thanks.

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Lex Luthor is the greatest character of all-time. He's such a tool. =D

Also, yeah! A Superman, Wonder Woman and Lex arc: DC's Trinity if Batman fans keeping harassing Geoff Johns.m

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was a solid issue I would almost give this a 5/5. My only complaint about Johns writing is that I always feel a little shorted..there always seems like there should of been like 3-4 more pages to really make it a solid book. The art is fantastic and Im actually liking the story quite a bit. I have been iffy with jumping back into Justice League (Not read since Throne of Atlantis) but I think this issue sold it for me to start again. Im also really excited to see what the Darkseid War is about and then eventually Rise of the Seven Seas.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: what now? What seven seas?

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: It was mentioned at the end of Aquaman #25 which was Johns last issue on Aquaman. All I have heard is its suppose to be in 2015.

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: it's an upcoming story in justice league, he teased it in his last issue of aquaman.

ekrolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ekrolo

@heirtothekingdom: Not really, biologically speaking he's still pretty human despite his magic enhancements while Wonder Woman's half God and Superman's completely an alien. The only thing his powered up body has managed to do is keep him from dying sooner than most ordinary humans would.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@black_arrow said:almo

@sodamyat said:

I almost busted out in laughter in class after I read this

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

@farkam said:

@sodamyat said:

please remove my name from this conversation. I dont want to keep getting the notifications. Thanks.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: I see. Johns is trying to raise Arthur's profile, huh? Another arc for Arthur, but none for Flash or GL. At least Superman and Wonder Woman are finally getting theirs.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ekrolo said:

@heirtothekingdom: Not really, biologically speaking he's still pretty human despite his magic enhancements while Wonder Woman's half God and Superman's completely an alien. The only thing his powered up body has managed to do is keep him from dying sooner than most ordinary humans would.

How is Dianna being half-god different from Aurthur being half Atlantian? Both are equally 1/2 human.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@kivatt said:

@farkam said:

@sodamyat said:

please remove my name from this conversation. I dont want to keep getting the notifications. Thanks.

Hiya.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Ive heard Johns has years planned out and he is bringing Hal back soon too. Johns did Flashpoint but lets hope he does more with Flash in the future. Hopefully be builds more on Captain Cold status with Lex and the League.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

@ekrolo: I see, but Shazam is literally powered from a powerful magical source of power, I would think that would be enough.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Mostly because the god part is divine blood, while Atlantean blood isn't as potent.

Basically, Greek Gods>>>>>Atlanteans

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: A greek god is likely a human infused with some of the god wave. How is that that much different from a human infused with ancient atlantean magic, except for how powerful they may be?

I'm also unclear on to what extent being a Greek god is just a title. Dianna is the God of War now, but she didn't become more powerful as a result.

MadFacedKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, fun read.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@jogga: A greek god is likely a human infused with some of the god wave. How is that that much different from a human infused with ancient atlantean magic, except for how powerful they may be?

I'm also unclear on to what extent being a Greek god is just a title. Dianna is the God of War now, but she didn't become more powerful as a result.

I believe she did have power over soldiers due to being God of War. So I think it has more to do with the control over what you rule. Just like Apollo was able to project sun rays.

And we're not entirely sure if they are just humans with the god wave. So unless it's actually told, they are legit deities. And being a half deity means much more than being half-magic amped humans.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EarthsMightiest

After Convergence are they going to rename the book to Lex Luthor and the Justice League?

Pretty good, however reminds me of Johns Red Zone arc on the Avengers.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: I think just calling it Lex Luthor would be better. No need to mention unimportant secondary characters.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: he was in the teaser for The Darkseid War, might be how he comes back. Isn't he fighting New Gods, too?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: Eh. There is a lot concerning gods that hasn't been made clear. I don't really agree with your interpretation, but I have absolutely no evidence to say it is incorrect.

I can't see how Dianna is any more of a god, any more of a legitimate deity than Superman is, aside from her title as such.

You say unless it's told, they are legit deities. I disagree. Until it is explained, it isn't reasonable to assert anything about their level of godliness, since until is is explained we can only assume and guess.

My assumption is reasonable (not to say yours isn't). We know that gods in the DCU were made from the godwave. The greek gods look human, act human and can procreate with humans.

To me, a human with godwave magic is no mightier than a human with atlantean magic. Arthur and Dianna seem on par in terms of durability, and I don't think her ability to control soldiers is any more impressive than Arthur's control of water/sea life.

I faintly recall her having control over soldiers or something to that effect...was that in Superman/Wonder Woman?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@ekrolo said:

How is Dianna being half-god different from Aurthur being half Atlantian? Both are equally 1/2 human.

Atlanteans are still human's, they just had their bodies altered by magic.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@muyjingo said:

@ekrolo said:

They clearly are not human though. They were humans, altered by magic to become atlanteans so they could survive underwater.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@dondave said:

@muyjingo said:

@ekrolo said:

They clearly are not human though. They were humans, altered by magic to become atlanteans so they could survive underwater.

It doesn't mean they're not human, they've just been enhanced by magic.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@muyjingo said:

@dondave said:

@muyjingo said:

@ekrolo said:

It doesn't mean they're not human, they've just been enhanced by magic.

No, they were explicitly modified by magic to become something other than human, so they could survive under the water.

It directly stated as much in one of the most recent Aquaman issues.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Cool

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No mention of Captain Cold's great panel time??? He was bad ass this issue.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gracetrack

Luthor a hero?

In the words of Superman - "Oh come on! It's Lex-flipping-Luthor!"

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ekrolo: Atlanteans are not human.

In Throne of Atlantis (the comic book of course) Superman scans Vulko and finds out Atlanteans are very different from humans. They have gills, they don't have lungs, they have superhuman abilities (normal Atlanteans have been seen lifting fully loaded (with weapons) steel cargo containers that weigh tons or ripping them apart with their bare hands and can survive the pressures and temperatures of the ocean floor.

MadFacedKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: @comicfan11: Arthur is half human. So him having a human infecting virus is plausible.

@superguy1591: Well as regards to Aquaman getting another event he doesn't really have any Pre52 involving the league.

Green Lantern: Brightest Day, Blackest Knight, Parallax sure their are others.

Flash was the center point of aevent dealing with a reboot.

And your complaining cause Aquaman os getting a event from a 2 year time span.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@muyjingo: stop comparing Atlanteans to Gods. There's a difference. Wonder Woman is the God of War, she was enhance when the title was giving to her, so she can't be compared to Aquaman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.