inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

JUSTICE LEAGUE #29 gives readers the fight they've been waiting for: Cyborg versus Grid. Luckily, Cyborg has a bit of help from the Metal Men, who are a joy to see in this book. Even though these characters are a bit goofy, at times, it's a nice juxtaposition from the overly-dark and gritty storyline which offers little to no hope to the reader. These elements balance each other out very well.

This is actually a great place for new readers to jump on. Sure, it's in the middle of an arc and ties in heavily to Forever Evil and recent events in JUSTICE LEAGUE, but fans who have been curious will notice that Johns does a great job at catching new readers up to speed and making them feel right at home during this issue.

The art here really gives this book a a nice feel. Doug Mahnke (pencils), Keith Champagne (inks), Christian Alamy (inks), and Rod Reis (colors) do a fine job at telling this story. Mahnke is great at giving the reader establishing shots which a stoic attitude that will really stick with the reader. Reis, as always, dominates the book with his color work. He is fantastic when working with an on-panel light source and setting the tone of a scene with his palate.

The Bad

While this book is great for new readers, it is a ton of repetitious dialogue for those who have been reading since before the Forever Evil story line. You'll feel like you've read all this before. For loyal JUSTICE LEAGUE readers, may be a boring issue.

The scenes of Grid and Cyborg fighting in the "mindscape" are pretty dull and a tad silly. Spoilers: The whole idea of Grid trying to understand why the Metal Men have emotions seems a tad pointless for that character. Grid, who seemed like a real tough cookie for Cyborg, becomes this robotic villain who is beaten by the same trope over and over again: "He can't get an answer to the question 'Why?'"

The Metal Men are a little goofy and that's expected from those characters, so there's a pass there; however, these characters get caught up a lot in describing their powers to the reader, over and over again. It's insulting to the reader, at times, when they have to be told what Mercury is or that Gold and Platinum are made of expensive metals.

The Verdict

JUSTICE LEAGUE #29 is fun and pretty good, but not great. It provides a story that is much more suited for brand new readers than anything else, since it feels more like recap and reintroductions rather than brand new story. The last portion of this book was a bit silly, but overall, readers do get the fight they're waiting for and it is a bit of fun. The art is pretty solid throughout, but the colors of Reis really shine here. Overall, it was an ok read and gets a mild recommendation.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

The point of Mercury's refrain about being the only metal that's liquid at room temperatures isn't exposition or even description; that's just Mercury's catchphrase. He says it a lot.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Avengers A.I did it better.

darkwingdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I can't disagree with anything in this review - spot on!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Johns can't write well anymore.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, I liked it *shrug*

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#6 inferiorego  Staff

Well, I liked it *shrug*

So did I... kinda... *also shrug*

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I actually kind of liked this issue, I'm a big Cyborg fan so seeing him teaming up with the Metal Men and finally getting the spotlight was great. The virtual fight with Grid I thought was pretty cool and was favorite part of this book. The Metal Men are great characters I loved their interactions with Cyborg, Magnus, and with each other. Here's to hoping for a Cyborg and Metal Men comic book.

The only thing is I have to wait forever now for Forever Evil #7...

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Really a three out of five? I'm genuinely surprised, I absolutely loved this issue. It was a huge payoff to see Victor have that defining moment as a hero. Plus getting to see the Metal Men fight some super villains was a huge treat. Really my only complaint was that I wanted to see Cyborg do some more fighting, but that's really a minor complaint.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By consafo80

All Grid has been going on about is wanting to feel emotions so I wasn't surprised at all he wondered how the Metal Men had them.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? I've been absolutely loving what he's been doing in Justice League and Forever Evil, and I'm usually not happy with a lot of the things he writes. But lately it's been very hard for me to criticize him.

Avatar image for rowdyfromscrubs
    RowdyFromScrubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RowdyFromScrubs

I think this Cyborg arc really has lost some momentum due to FE#7 taking forever to come out. JL #28 was released on Feb 19. The editors probably thought there needed to be review because of the two months between issues.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Just as I expected. A meh issue from this tie in to Forever Evil, a meh event. It seems a bit much about how Grid was defeated and all that.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Squalleon

I agree that the Digital universe was a bit meh. And Grid was beaten too easy for my taste, Cyborg suddently became OP and defeated Grid with ease.

@saren said:

The point of Mercury's refrain about being the only metal that's liquid at room temperatures isn't exposition or even description; that's just Mercury's catchphrase. He says it a lot.

At least once an issue :-P

And the whole describing their value is because Gold is a narcissist and Tin just happened to mention that Platinum is expencive too.

Avatar image for professornightmare
    ProfessorNightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this issue was absolutely awesome. Kind of harsh review, dude but your opinion is your opinion.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Herokiller12344

Is this event still going on?

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lol you do know that this is one persons *opinion* right?

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

who are the enemies that showed up at the end?

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really enjoyed this issue. I laughed out loud during parts, and think Johns writing the Metal Men these last 2 issues has been really great. Mahnke's art shifts the mood several times throughout, and I have to say even though the sun may be blotted out there's still plenty of color and no shortage of iconic poses.

Especially the fantastic panel of Grid and Cyborg battling it out before they enter the digital universe.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Zeeguy91
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually thought this was a great issue. Not perfect, but still pretty great. I thought it showed a lot of great development for Cyborg, and that's coming from someone who dropped Justice League a while back and just picked this up out of sheer curiosity. I mean...

"Your father rebuilt you and plugged the remains of your organic brain into me. And in that instant, the digital universe gained sentience. The birth of Cyborg also gave birth to me. A stray thought...the first thought you ever had as you awoke bound to the digital space for a lifetime....."I do not belong here." That is the thought that created me and the thought that haunts you. You do not belong here. You do not belong anywhere."

Is that not a killer monologue? Well, I thought so, anyway.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why is Batman on the cover when he never appears in this issue

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18 said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

Shocker....

What, I love the Metal Men, and I love Cyborg. This issue had both being awesome. Like I said, I wish we could have seen more fighting, but seeing Vic embrace who he is and step up was absolutely amazing. What really got me was this issue was basically his motto, "Half man, half machine, all hero". I know it seems lame, but I'm a sucker for moments like that. Plus, throw in the Metal Men, and anything is more fun. I just hope Johns can finally get a Cyborg series going. At the very least he deserves a back up series in Justice League.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

We really need a Cyborg series and MM series or you know....solo series in general that aren't the main Justice League and Bats and Supes family. But i said shocker that every review that gave a DC comic a low score that you read you always have a comment on thinking it's good.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: Not always, in fact, even though Earth 2 has been getting good reviews, I think it's going in an awful direction. I also don't like the Harley series, but so many other people like it, I decided to not ruin their fun. I also don't like the Teen Titans (then again, no one does right now) and although it's heading in a new direction, I'm really disappointed in the team roster, and artist choice. I also don't like Justice League 3000, I think the concept isn't great when DC already has Futures End. I gave it a try because I liked what I heard in an interview with the writer, and liked that Firestorm was added, but the series is just not good enough to keep my attention. Plus, on my walk home today I spent 10 minutes thinking about how mad I'll be if Geoff Johns gives Captain Cold his gun back for good, instead of him having cryokinesis from gene bonding. I also have some other series I don't like, and other gripes, but I can't think of them right now.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why is Batman on the cover when he never appears in this issue

That's not Batman. Its Mercury, having taken his form. If you look, all of the Metal Men have shapeshifter into members of the League on the cover. Gold into Superman, Platinum into Wonder Woman, Tin into Flash, etc.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Well i mean comics you read why would you read Harley when you hate the character?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: Well if I'm reading a comic that usually means I really like it. Although I have had some that I didn't lie lately, like the Justice League 3000 book I mentioned, or this really bad issue of Constantine I recently picked up and didn't like.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Well like it or not you should be able to admit or not have a problem with others when there's a bad issue. Like i love the DP run but the DP annual was crap. Cool concept of why DP had that voice in his head but the actual comic was crap.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptainMarvel4Ever  Online

@thewalkingdeadpool18: I think I know what your talking about. I don't know much about Deadpool other than the obvious, but I think I saw a video review on his Annual. I remember because it had a Looney Toons style cover.

I'm also not 100% what your talking about, but I think you think that I was being un-accepting of this review, but to be honest it's more surprised. I thought the issue was so god that I was genuinely surprised by the three.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeboy: Really? Personally I felt that Reis style fit the Metal Men's metallic look perfectly. But if you weren't a fan of the art that's not a problem for this week's issue. As you can tell by the cover, Doug Mahnke will be doing this issue, and I have to say, he did a really good job through and through.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lifeboy

@captainmarvel4ever: yeah. I like mahnke. I like the metal men and cyborg. I'm not all crazy about them but I felt that they eere over the top silly. Like iron fallling in love with the soda mechine. :/ the weekly 'awesome art picks' that comicvine does shows me that rod ries is an expert colorist and artist but that issues art was not for me. There are so many good titles out right now. Wjat are the stuff your really liking right now?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeboy: Aww I actually really like that the Metal Men keep those goofy personalities. Honestly it's why I love them so much :)

As for what I'm reading, I'm still sorting that out a little right now, because I just got off a huge break from comics, started buying them in excess, and starting today I need to cut back. Still, I do have some great recommendations, but before those let me just say, Wonder Woman is not only my favorite comic, but in my opinion, it's the best book in the New 52. As for recently, I just today picked up Sinestro #1, and absolutely loved it (and the main GL book is also pretty good). I also recently got three very nice surprises when I read Phantom Stranger #18, World's Finest #22, and Superboy #30, all better then I expected, and well worth each price. I don't know if I will be able to continue any of them, but they are defiantly some good under the radar series. Also, All Star Western is another fun book that doesn't disappoint.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Yeah homeboy, I get way too many also and am going to have to cut down. I spent all last week reading comics.

Right now my favs are:

1pandora

2supergirl

3afterlife with archie

4forever evil

I'm going to keep the following

Dejah

Phantom stranger

Worlds finest

Superman

WW

Green Arrow

Doctor Spector

Sinestro

Jl

Jld

Aquaman

Chaos (dynamite)

Jl3000

Tarot

Rogue trooper (maybe)

And the new dc title that takes place 5years in the future.

I can suggest to you the afterlife w archie if your not reading it. I am amazed at how good it is. I haven't read anything that good since al ewings run on jennifer blood.

If you ever want to talk comics with me, send me a mail. I'm finding that people I work with have zero interest in talking comics with me. Lol

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeboy: Wow, that's a lot of comics, I wish I had that kind of scratch. Also it's funny because earlier today I almost bought Pandora, but I decided I already spent enough. Although seeing it ranked that high makes me want to check it out. Also I'd love to talk comics some time, but first I gotta understand how this crazy site works.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: yeah its a lot. I like to read one a day at work. I forgot to include

Batgirl

D'tec

Masters of the Universe

and Birds of Prey

That are also in my read list.

As for Pandora, she is my favorite character. I like the way that even though she is 10000 years old, she is still a reactive character. I even love her goofy bird armor.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad I dropped this series

Cold4NoReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeboy:

I spend upwards of $25-50 a week on comics.

Batman Eternal

Batman Beyond Universe

Birds of Prey

Earth 2

Flash

Green Arrow

Harley Quinn

JLA

JL

JLD

JL3K

Nightwing

RHATO

Suicide Squad

Teen Titans

World's Finest

ALL New Xfactor

Black Widow

Moon Knight

Punisher

X Force

Iron Fist

ZERO

Sex Criminals

City in the Mind of the Machine

A Voice in the Dark

Lazarus

I'm always adding more. I can't think of every title I read.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cold4noreason: yeah, thatas me also. I hope that your pre-ordering your comics like me. It helps bigtime with the cost. I use dcb services. I think most comic readers on this site use it. You should look into it if your not.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeboy: I am now I am mad at you. I picked up that issue of Pandora, and now I absolutely love the character. I'm already on a tight budget, how dare you make me fall in love with such an awesome character >:( . Seriously though, thanks a lot for the recommendation. This is defiantly a book I'm going to start picking up :)

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Cool :) I liked her best during the Blight crossover where she was coming out every week. She is a cool chic. From issue one, I think she was made immortal at around the age of 19 so she brings a lot of energy into her comic.

I sae you liked the last issue of Superboy. Lately I've been reading that because I think they want to bring the Ravagers back in his comic. I'm excited about that. There is a lot going on in his series right now.

Also I read the Worlds Finest. I came so close to dropping it after the superman/ batman crossover but now with this latest news, i think im going to keep it.

Tell me, are you as excited as i am for that new Earth2 weekly? Are you going to get it?

tim_mik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Just got around to this issue last night and I completely agree with @inferiorego but at the same time I am close to dropping this main title from my sub list for the first time since I started reading comics in 2006. I now realize that I haven't liked any of the main events pushing this title after the first arc -- from Trinity War to Thrones of Atlantis to Forever Evil and I'm just waiting for the potential of the series to get good.

daw327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By daw327

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.