gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Trinity War ended and FOREVER EVIL started up right away. With the slight gap in events, we were left wondering what happened and how everyone fits into the story. We've been seeing hints of the Secret Society for some time and finally discovered the identity of the Outsider. His identity wasn't quite what we expected and this issue reveals his backstory and the purpose for creating the Society.

Geoff Johns and Sterling Gates give us a glimpse into this other world. Despite seeing other alternate realities in the past along with other Earth 3/Crime Syndicate stories, it's still fascinating to see what it was like. Being the New 52, even though there are some similarities, we still can't fully be sure of what to expect.

Szymon Kudranski's dark and mysterious art is perfect for the ominous atmosphere from this world. There's something almost eerie in seeing a certain scene in a certain alley take place with the dark twist present here.

Seeing what transpired before the Outsider's presence in the New 52 world is pretty big. This issue offers some explanation into the reasoning for some events we saw in FOREVER EVIL #1, the use of Nightwing in particular.

The Bad

Because this is just one issue, some of the events in the flashback feel a little chaotic. We get a bunch of different glimpses. It does succeed in making us want to see more but you have to pause to see what's going on and think about what it could mean. In some ways, seeing this backstory fleshed out more would have been nice but would have obviously taken away the surprise as Trinity War played out.

The reason for creating and needing the villains in the Secret Society makes sense but almost feels a little separate from what's going on. I'm looking forward to seeing actual interaction between the Society and the Crime Syndicate.

The Verdict

After four weeks of Villains Month books, we've had a mix of different kinds of issues. This issue does provide an origin for the Outsider and the Secret Society but it also plays a big role in FOREVER EVIL. We may have seen parts of this world in the past but seeing how they exist in the New 52 is pretty interesting. There is a sense of familiarity yet you're still not quite sure what to expect. Szymon Kudranski's art captures the dark tone of the story and really makes you happy you don't have to live in that world. It's unclear whether or not we'll see more of this world or if we need to. Other Villains Month may have told interesting stories but this one makes you eager for the next issue of FOREVER EVIL.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought it was one of the best issues

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superbat420: me too. really liked this one. between seeing Earth 3 Gotham and the twist at the end, it was one of the best this week.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to be one of those issues that will be sold out by the time I get out of work.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hecktate: I walked in the comic shop at the exact time it was open. And there was only two issues left lol

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@med: did you read doomsday? That was the most depressing issue of the whole new 52 I thought.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@med: did you read doomsday? That was the most depressing issue of the whole new 52 I thought.

Depressing? It did give me an odd sensation.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superior_prime_maybe: really, I was real let down, they didn't explain anything I thought of it as more of a zod issue

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By HeckTate

@superbat420: Still 2 left at opening? That's better than I expected after the last 3 weeks of frustration trying to get these at cover price on release dates.

Avatar image for nightwing_beyond
    Nightwing_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The mysteries this issue brings to the forefront are quite intriguing. I wish the comic showed Talon's body since I was curious to see what his costume looked like.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was awesome, 5/5. Not only did this explain a lot about Earth 3, but it seemed like a pretty essential issue for anyone following Forever Evil.

Booster_Bronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Answered a few questions for me, like the Outsider's tendency to randomly laugh, but did anyone else notice how Joker got his fingers back after getting them blown off?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

This was my favorite issue of the week. Ocean Master and First Born were right up there also.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

We need an Earth 3 book

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my favorite villians month issue. Ive always liked earth 3 ever since I got their first appearance ( Justice league of America vol.1 #29 in case anyones curious) Very interested in seeing how nightwings story develops

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought this book was pretty good until we found out Earth-3 Dick Grayson was dead. Booooo. Also, it seemed like more of an Owlman/Alfred origin story rather than a Secret Society origin. That part was just kind of meshed together at the end. It did leave me wondering WHAT the cause was so bad that made them have to jump UNIVERSES.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Kudranski's art is always so stiff and shadowy. I'm not really a fan. It works if he's doing a dark environment like Gotham or Santa Prisca, but I think it would be unappealing anywhere else.

anthonygiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this issue and Metallo from this week. It makes me interested in reading what is going to happen in Forever Evil.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By TheFirstLantern

So it looks like Darkseid attacked Earth-3. Really good issue. I loved that twist.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.