Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Would a JLA movie make as much money as The Avengers did?

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jack Donaghy

Assuming they finally make a JLA movie do you think it would do as well at the box office as the Avengers did or not? Part of me wants to say yes it would mainly because Batman and Superman in the same movie alone should sell very well but I also think the general audience might look at it as a Avengers knockoff and not want to see it. Of course the main factor in how much a movie makes is how good it is but do you think a JLA movie would have a shot at $1.5 billion?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I think it depends on how the movie is written and who's directing the movie. The Avengers was pretty successful because Joss Whedon directed it and a lot of people know who Joss Whedon is and have seen his works. Also, the movie was written pretty well, so many fans really enjoyed the movie. As long as the JLA movie has good writing and a director who knows a lot about the characters, then the movie should be a success.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CODYSF

Well if they got the big 6 on the screen I could see them breaking the Avengers record like nothing and the characters are the most iconic characters in the comic world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Warner Brothers can introduce a successful Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc. movie for Justice League to build off of like Avengers did then it has a shot. Currently with only the Batman franchise established on firm ground I think it unlikely to achieve the same success.

Vermoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vermoot

What made The Avengers so successful was the fact that several movies led to it. Everyone who saw Iron Man 1&2, Captain America and Thor (And, yeah, Hulk maybe.) wanted to see what happened next. So I think it wouldn't be as sucessful as The Avengers.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonSmith

No. The big thing about the Avengers movie was the build up: Each movie building up to it was like an hour long tease: You were constantly looking for a small hint here, a tiny clue there. Any small thing hinting towards other heroes. And each clue they showed that looped back into the other movies built that suspense further, so that when the Avengers finally came around, it wasn't just a great movie in it's own rights, it was pure, unadulterated pay off for all that suspense. It looks like they're going to go big with Justice League, then spin off into other movies. So right off the bat, there's no build up or pay off.

Aside from that, Warner Bros. really seems to suck at these comic book movies. So I don't hold my breath for any DC movie.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

Even if it were as good as The Avengers, I don't think it'd make as much money. Avengers had this hype that was built over the course of years with several movies. With Justice League, it seems like DC is just going to release the movie with no sort of build up. There's also not as big an amount of star power associated with the movie (yet), like Avengers has with Sam Jackson and Robert Downey Jr. Of course I think the movie will be financially successful, I just don't think it'll do as well. As you also said @Jack Donaghy: audiences may find it to be a knockoff as well, but I don't think that would be too much of a problem.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    If It's well written and in 3D, it will make more than Avengers.
    mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrtrickster

if it's good then yeah

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By jwalser3

If I was the one in charge of making it. It would surpass the Avengers! :P

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tyrus

I think that it would make money because Supes and Batman - other than that, they need a build up like most of you are saying... I think they only have a chance of beating Avengers by a little anyways...

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SandMan_

Man WB is really rushing it.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By renamed040924

Really when it comes down to it, Justice League can only do two things: either A) Match Avengers, or B) Gross slightly more/less.

Fact remains that EVERYONE who would be willing to see a JLA movie, DID go to see the Avengers. For JLA to make as much money, they'd have to pull in the same audience, AKA everyone.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Superguy0009e

Not really. It would have to be better than Avengers to make all of that money and more. Avengers was super hyped and well planned, a JLA movie couldn't really pull that off.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tyrus

It doesn't really matter if WB is rushing the film - people aren't going to know the outcome of the movie anyways so there's no point judging it badly...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Gambit1024

Maybe, but unlikely.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Rabbitearsblog said:

I think it depends on how the movie is written and who's directing the movie. The Avengers was pretty successful because Joss Whedon directed it and a lot of people know who Joss Whedon is and have seen his works. Also, the movie was written pretty well, so many fans really enjoyed the movie. As long as the JLA movie has good writing and a director who knows a lot about the characters, then the movie should be a success.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAZAHS117

I think a "Worlds Finest" movie with just Bats N'Supes alone could top the Avengers, seeing as they're the two most recognizable heroes in the history of comics/superheroes. But I actually think a Justice League movie (while it would make a killing) would still fare less than Avengers, mainly because MARVEL Studios pulled the trigger 1st and the charm of the whole idea is kinda over. The "general audience" will no longer be shocked or have as much anticipation for a team-up film like Justice League, because it's already been done with The Avengers....and especially if we get another Avengers epic before Justice League hits theaters, that could be a huge blow to the steam of WB/DC's flagship team-up movie.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Night Thrasher

@JonSmith said:

No. The big thing about the Avengers movie was the build up: Each movie building up to it was like an hour long tease: You were constantly looking for a small hint here, a tiny clue there. Any small thing hinting towards other heroes. And each clue they showed that looped back into the other movies built that suspense further, so that when the Avengers finally came around, it wasn't just a great movie in it's own rights, it was pure, unadulterated pay off for all that suspense. It looks like they're going to go big with Justice League, then spin off into other movies. So right off the bat, there's no build up or pay off.

Aside from that, Warner Bros. really seems to suck at these comic book movies. So I don't hold my breath for any DC movie.

I think this is 100% correct. Avengers wasn't a standalone movie. It was a sequel for about 6 different movies. It was one of the most ambitious undergoings in movie history. It tied not just one franchise but ultimately 6. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, SHIELD, and possibly Black Widow and Hawkeye. You had fans from already established franchises linking together in one venture. The only thing DC has as strong as these franchises is Batman and they aren't doing those anymore.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freacking Batman and Superman in the same movie?

Thats all you need to destroy the Avengers, i mean a World Finest movie would made more money.

You just need a good old fashion Batman vs Superman fight and you will see people going crazy.

Remember that Avengers has the 3D tickets sells and the fact the tickets today are more expensive, if you make the number you notice Avengers wasnt as huge as Marvel want you to belive.

RankTitleWorldwide gross
    (constant $)
    Year
    1Gone with the Wind$3,301,400,0001939
    2Avatar$2,782,300,0002009
    3Star Wars$2,710,800,0001977
    4Titanic$2,413,800,0001997
    5The Sound of Music$2,269,800,0001965
    6E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial$2,216,800,0001982
    7The Ten Commandments$2,098,600,0001956
    8Doctor Zhivago$1,988,600,0001965
    9Jaws$1,945,100,0001975
    10Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs$1,746,100,0001937

No Avengers, also notice only two movies are part from a franchise and both of them are the first part, the rest are just stand alone movies.

This is if all the tickets cost the same even the 3d ones.

Avengers with 3d tickets sells made $1,461,889,000

Notice that even with 3D tickets, Star Wars made over 1 billion bucks more that Avengers.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

Not if they choose to dish out the JL film first. Avengers garnered their success solely based on the build up they created over the years, not to mention each film that did build up to the Avengers was pretty damn good.

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
    TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheVoiceOfReason

Even if they don't have buildup you have to consider that the Justice League consists of the MOST iconic superhero characters ever.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Skyfire

Iconic doesn't equal popular.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skyfire said:

No one is more popular that Batman and Superman.

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By samuel_larson_10

the movies about thor, iron man, cap, and hulk were all at least decent, if JLA made some origin movies just as good then, yes, it would be succesful

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OutlawRenegade
    Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Skyfire

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Skyfire said:

No one is more popular that Batman and Superman.

I think Spider-man is more popular than Superman, but not Batman. Besides, I was talking more about the likes of Wonder Women and Aquaman, people know of them,but know nothing about them.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Rumble Man

Just whore off batman 'beating' superman and the movie will outsell itself

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skyfire: Popular means more people know you, dont like you, Spiderman is more liked, but still he isnt part of the Avengers movies, so there is no point in talkgin about Spiderman, and yes Superman, Batman and the rest are way more popular that the Avengersin the mainstream.

Those guys need a filming their movies first plan, for the fact most of them never had mainstream fame, thing that Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Flash did, thanks to the decades of cartoons and TV shows like Wonder Woman and Smallville.

I dont know why people compare JL with Avengers, even when JL had two memeber that are more popular that all the Avengers put together.

Besides is DC, you cant belive that using the Marvel plan would work for DC, dc is another company and another universe, i ahve months telling all of you this.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CrimsonCake

@The_Tree said:

Even if it were as good as The Avengers, I don't think it'd make as much money. Avengers had this hype that was built over the course of years with several movies. With Justice League, it seems like DC is just going to release the movie with no sort of build up.

Do you think Man Of Steel could possibly tie into it?

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

If they rush it just to comepete against Avengers than I don't think it will be that good.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By the_tree

@CrimsonCake said:

@The_Tree said:

Even if it were as good as The Avengers, I don't think it'd make as much money. Avengers had this hype that was built over the course of years with several movies. With Justice League, it seems like DC is just going to release the movie with no sort of build up.

Do you think Man Of Steel could possibly tie into it?

It's always possible, but at the moment, it's been stated that JL and MoS have no ties.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Skyfire

@DeathpooltheT1000: Popular means people like you,not the other way around.

And yes, Superman and Batman are, in general, more popular then any single Avenger. But the whole team of Avengers? Possibly.

The problem is that without follow up movies Superman and Batman are the only reasons anyone outside of comics will see the Justice League. Alot of people I know have never even heard of the Flash, and know Aquaman and Wonder Women by name only. I believe we will have a good idea about a JL movie based on how well Man of Steel does next year. But, as it stands, I don't believe those two have the pulling power too topple the Avengers. Especially since it is a brand new Batman.

I hope Justice League is a better film then Avengers. Avengers was awesome so that means JL will be even more awesome. But I sincerely doubt it will beat it in the box office.

@haydenclaireheroes said:

If they rush it just to comepete against Avengers than I don't think it will be that good.

Agreed. Avengers had a very well planned marketing campaign that really paid off in the end. Justice League won't.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skyfire: Batman and Superman are icons, i know mainstream fame matters, but Aquaman and Wonder Woman have been part of TV shows like Smaville and cartoons by decades, people forget that they have been more on screen more time that most of the Marvel ones.

Most of people had no idea who Ironma was and was a huge hit, more people knew who Hulk was and the Hulk movie made less money.

Also Star Wars 4: A New Hope is the most succesfull Star Wars movie in the box office, the most succesfull movies of all time have been the first part of a franchise or stand alone movies, also notice the JLA movie will came like in 4 years, the price of the tickets will be higher and for the same will make more money dont matter what.

Avengers record isnt that amazing, The Hobbit will beat them, then Transformers 4 will beat the Hobbit and things like that.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Skyfire

@DeathpooltheT1000: Wonder Woman was in Smallville? When?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skyfire: Well not Wonder Woman, but a character that was pretty much the same and did the bullet thing.

Also Wonder Woman got their own tv show in the past.

Green Arrow has his own show.

Aquaman is well known thanks to Cartoon Network and all the jokes that make about the guy.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By Suprman

@Skyfire: She was mentioned in season 10 along with Batman but she never showed up on screen.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Skyfire

@Suprman: I think I remember that, like "A Wondrous Woman" or something?

@DeathpooltheT1000: Yeah Aquaman is more of a joke than a serious hero too the general public unfortunately.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Suprman

I think it has the potential to do just as well if not better. We do have a Superman movie coming out before Justice League but whether that will be set in the same universe is unclear. Avengers was a fantastic movie in my opinion, however the majority of its sales came from 3D showings, if it didn't have the 3D it would have done just as well as any other big summer blockbuster. I think that Justice League will do well. What Marvel Studios and Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy have proven with Superhero movies is that they can be successful if you have the right people working on it in all departments at all stages of production.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Suprman

@Skyfire: Yeah and Aquaman did have a pretty good pilot made in 2005 or 2006 That was not picked up based on the fact that people think Aquaman sucks or is useless or whatever joke you want to shove at the poor guy.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JohnnyWalker

dont hold your breath

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skyfire: @Suprman: The same that i have been telling people.

The Avengers even with 3D sell fail at making 2 billion bucks, people forget that the numbers they see today are made thanks to the fact the tickets are more expensive and there is 3D.

If tickets prices would had never change this would be the QUEEN of money making.

Gone with the Wind$3,301,400,0001939

The Avengers with 3D tickets f wasnt the huge hit, Marvel make you belive it was.

BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BushidoBlack

Lol at DeathpooltheT1000

Dat damage control

Avatar image for goldenboy_prime
    Goldenboy_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Goldenboy_Prime

said:

Just whore off batman 'beating' superman and the movie will outsell itself

This.... They could pretty much do a World's Finest movie to reboot Batman and make a killing. Then do whatever with JLA

Avatar image for purpledeadragon
    PurpleDeaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.