Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3320 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Will Cyborg/Shazam Become The Counter To Superman/Batman?

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OutlawRenegade

So we've all heard that Shazam and Cyborg are supposed to form some kind of bromance reminiscent of the old Booster Gold and Ted Kord one.

Cyborg is the youngest on the team, and he and Shazam will become buddies and will have fun with super powers. He wants to forge a Hal/Barry, Ted Kord/Booster Gold relationship with Shazam and Cyborg, magic and technology. Billy won't even know what his powers are.

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/articles/192149-comic-con-dcs-new-52-panel

We've also heard that Shazam will come against Superman in a big way.

While Superman, Batman and Green Arrow get plenty of screen time, "Trinity War" puts a lot of new and breakout characters on a big stage, including Shazam ("He's got no allegiance to anybody," Johns says, "and you'll see him come into conflict with Superman in a very big way")

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/04/07/justice-league-trinity-war/2050575/

It's also been said that the leagues will shuffle rosters after the New 52.Then there's this panel of Cyborg standing up to Batman for the first time:

No Caption Provided

And there's the fact that in Twilight of the Superheroes and other DC lore, Superman and Shazam are at odds.

Could Johns be setting up this Shazam/Cyborg friendship to be opponents to Superman/Batman? I mean, the powers kind of match-up...

And Geoff Johns has told the DC animation department to emphasize the Cyborg/Shazam friendship (5:08). Could this be to set up a future story in which Superman/Batman stands opposed to Shazam/Cyborg? I mean, the story may be big enough to warrant its own animated movie--a sequel to the Justice League Origin and Throne of Atlantis adaptations.

Also, let's not forget that the JLA was created as a counter to the Justice League. And in Flashpoint, Cyborg was America's number one government agent. We've already seen other Flashpoint elements incorporated into the new universe...

Fighting Superman and Batman is a weird motivation for setting up a friendship, but Shazam/Cyborg comes out of the blue and Vic (23) is much older than Billy (13) so it will likely come across as weird/forced to some.

But Superman and Batman need someone to job for them, right?

Thoughts?

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By slade_wilson

No, I don't think it will be forced at all. They both share a bit of a youthful mentality and poor relationships with their parents or parental figures. I find it to be a very cool, fresh pairing of heroes that could evolve into a string friendship. Also, does the League even know Billy's actual age?

On an aside, Captain Marvel should always, I mean ALWAYS, defeat Superman. Clark is vulnerable to magic and Billy derives his power from straight up magic. Could be my Captain Marvel fanboy mentality, but that's what I've always thought.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@slade_wilson: I meant forced in that it is weird for a 23 year old to be best friends with a 13 year old How would you react if you saw that in real life? Even without the 5 year age boost--if Vic were 18, then it's still weird for an 18 year old to be best friends with a 13 year old unless they are related--like brothers-by-blood.

And from Comic Con 2013:

The JLD’s leader, the manipulative John Constantine, who Johns says has a “massive role” in the event, takes action in a tie-in issue in his stand-alone series, “Constantine” No. 5, coming out Wednesday. Writer Ray Fawkes said the antihero, in trying to figure out what’s going to happen, concludes that Shazam has a hand in what may go wrong in the Trinity War and so tries to steal away his magic powers.

“There’s really no dirty tactic that John won’t stoop to,” Fawkes said, “and if he needs to take away the power of a hero …”

“From a kid,” Johns interjected, to audience laughter.

“Yeah, from a 13-year-old boy,” Fawkes said. “He’ll do it, and he’ll do it with a smile on his face.”

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/comic-con-geoff-johns-jeff-lemire-ray-fawkes-march-into-trinity-war/#/0

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outlawrenegade: Yes, absolutely. I cannot take that point away from you. But the good Captain looks like he's a full grown man despite how he acts. Historically Vic hasn't been known for his strong maturity and they could look into this.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#5  Edited By Black_Claw

This could be interesting if done right, I just hope they take their time to flesh the friendship out.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman and Captain Marvel always seem to end up fighting, it's getting kinda worn out by now.

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I don't think it will be forced at all. They both share a bit of a youthful mentality and poor relationships with their parents or parental figures. I find it to be a very cool, fresh pairing of heroes that could evolve into a string friendship. Also, does the League even know Billy's actual age?

On an aside, Captain Marvel should always, I mean ALWAYS, defeat Superman. Clark is vulnerable to magic and Billy derives his power from straight up magic. Could be my Captain Marvel fanboy mentality, but that's what I've always thought.

The vulnerable to magic argument is stupid. So let's have a scenario. I come prepped with a spoon. I obviously should always, I mean ALWAYS, defeat you. You are vulnerable to having your eyes scooped out; are you not?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

idk due to inexperience i dont see why Shazam would win. And he is vulnerable to magic doesn't mean he gets weak juet standing by it, except that one issue where he did and that was PIS by many people on here. If a magic punch hits him he will feel it, but thats no diff then if darkseid on mongul hit him he'd feel it. Doesn't mean he automatically loses.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyborg/Shazam has to be done right first. There has to be a legitimate reason a grown ass man would be hanging out with a 13yr old little boy.

But Shazam/Cyborg does match up well against Superman/Batman. I can see that happening. I could work, if done right.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ciriel: That scenario is facetious. Think of it like this: Superman is Guy A and Cap is Guy B. Guys A and B are wearing bullet proof vests and are carrying assault rifles. Guy A has regular bullets and Guy B has armor-piercing bullets. When Guy B gets hit by Guy A's rounds, he's gonna feel it and it's gonna hurt. A lot. When Guy A gets hit by Guy B's bullets, he's gonna feel it a lot more and it's gonna hurt a lot more. And we're not even getting into the wisdom of Solomon, the courage of Achilles, and the power of Zeus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They were chosen in a way resembles the main heroes, logically also have been underestimated in previous versions and possess a vast untapped potential. Does everything have to end with a fight? Is that the heroes do, fight for useless causes? Fight to show whos is better,stronger..??

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slade_wilson:

I was trying to say that things on paper aren't always the determining factor. If that were the case, every villain with a gun would beat Batman.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This relationship doesn't even exist in any form yet. It's maddening Geoff Johns keeps talking about it instead of just writing it for us in the comics. Seriously he talked about this a year ago, but we have made zero progression with these two. They just met for the first time this month.

Still, Cyborg and Shazam have little to no interaction. The only time they've been around each other was in the Flashpoint alternate timeline. Billy Batson is 12 to 13. Cyborg is in his early 20s. This BFF screams forced just because they are on the same team. Cyborg was in high school, but that was five years ago. So isn't he roughly about Diana's age, in his early 20s? And he has just as much experience on the team as everyone else, right?

I mean, it's a good idea to have someone Cyborg can talk to, but it seems like an odd fit,

Moreover, why does the Justice League have to be so cliquish? They all don't have to be best buds, but they can't get a long or interact with each other?

Like Wonder Woman only hangs out with Superman and Batman now?

I wanted to see all of these heroes be friends. I wanted to see Flash and Superman and Wonder Woman hang out with Aquaman and Cyborg not have them fight each other.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Claw

@sunman said:

This relationship doesn't even exist in any form yet. It's maddening Geoff Johns keeps talking about it instead of just writing it for us in the comics. Seriously he talked about this a year ago, but we have made zero progression with these two. They just met for the first time this month.

Still, Cyborg and Shazam have little to no interaction. The only time they've been around each other was in the Flashpoint alternate timeline. Billy Batson is 12 to 13. Cyborg is in his early 20s. This BFF screams forced just because they are on the same team. Cyborg was in high school, but that was five years ago. So isn't he roughly about Diana's age, in his early 20s? And he has just as much experience on the team as everyone else, right?

I mean, it's a good idea to have someone Cyborg can talk to, but it seems like an odd fit,

Moreover, why does the Justice League have to be so cliquish? They all don't have to be best buds, but they can't get a long or interact with each other?

Like Wonder Woman only hangs out with Superman and Batman now?

I wanted to see all of these heroes be friends. I wanted to see Flash and Superman and Wonder Woman hang out with Aquaman and Cyborg not have them fight each other.

And that right there is Johns biggest problem, his actions never speak louder than his words. This is especially evident in how he kept saying how "Cyborgs time has come" for the past few years and so far, Cyborg hasn't done anything significant other than being the team bus.

And personally, I always thought Zatanna should be Cyborgs BFF if DC really wants the whole Magic/Science dynamic.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

That's actually a great point... but He's Superman he can run backwards and suddenly go back in time. His weakness is Kryptonite but he's lifted an Island made out of Kryptonite. I mean I think Metallo should always... always beat Supes but he never does and his heart is kryptonite that he shoots out of his chest. C'MON

At the end of the day he's Superman and his powers are Logic be Dammed.

BACK ON TOPIC: I like the idea. Cy could use some more friends. ( + )

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It really wouldn't be weird. Cyborg and Billy's friendship could be like a big brother-little brother thing. Cyborg could help Billy train to control his power better and the friendship grows from there. It just depends on how Geoff Johns starts to build the friendship between the two

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought Billy Batson was 15 and Victor was only 23? Maybe more of a big brother kinda relationship? i can see that happen imo. Plus, the other league members they've added (firestorm and elemental girl) are around that 15-23 age scale... so i see things looking good in the future ^_^

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there can be a bromance, sure. as for them being able to take on supes and bats, not in a million years.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bb is older than 13 in the new 52 right ? And I don't see that as weird anyway

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slade_wilson: I like superman way more then Shazam but couldn't agree more, it makes way more sense

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Superbat420

@black_claw: no cyborgs just there to be black like wtf they've talked like they were going to make him a major part of the justice league but haven't done one thing, not even his own title when about every person on the team has had they're own? It's seriously a slap in the face they bring him on tell everyone o we have plans don't flip out but I'm reality they're just like yea we need diversity.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cyborg/Shazam being the counter to Superman/Batman?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

Never going to happen.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superbat420: Well after the climax of trinity war, I at least have regained hope that they finally might do something interesting with him after Forever Evil. I'm not holding my breath though.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Doubtful.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Could be cool, but I rather see Captain Marvel to have Captain Marvel Jr. or Mary Marvel as his friend that he is paired up with. I would also like to see the Beast Boy and Cyborg relationship revived.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By sinestro_GL

Cool.

Didn't hear about this.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds like a cool idea.

king1_icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hope not, Cyborg is so boring to me.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

i hope so...... I would love to see their relationship hit the sky

It would be my best friendship/team-up after flash and g.l

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, no thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.