Why You Should Read JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1

• 102 results
Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
#51 Posted by unBREAKable_Fs4 (4325 posts) - - Show Bio

It was an enjoyable read.

Marvel better step their game up cause at this point everything I read (excluding Secret Wars) is DC

#52 Posted by Koays (11766 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

Idk, the fight scene kind of had me getting annoyed by Batman/incompetence and it coincided with some of the other scenes beginning to weaken from where the book started.

It's obviously a good addition to the new line up, but the decline about half way through kind of made me just not wanna keep up with the story.

Why were you mad at Batman. flash was the reason Justice league nearly got there but kick

I was irritated by the fact that he was the only one who was portrayed as competent. Green Lantern feels his powers getting drained and is helpless, Flash....was having a REALLY bad day, and Wonder Woman got eaten. Pretty much from the moment we see him he's one uping Flash, gets a shot in on the bad guy, figures out whats happening, and only gets taken down because he was rescuing a teammate. It's not that these aren't things that are never allowed to happen..but when everyone is getting owned, and he's actually more competent then usual...it sort sticks out.

#53 Posted by EdBlank (1480 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 = we're gonna fix the continuity.

Post Convergence = f*** continuity.

I could see if it was something like "Superman was supposed to be in space during that time period, in this book he's on Earth". But from what I can glean the entire world is completely different in this book vs Superman, Batman, and GLs own titles. The world never found out Supers ID, no RoBat Man Bunny, etc..

I wouldn't say this was loose continuity, I would say this is no continuity.

I would argue that the main appeal of dozens of different titles happening in the same "Universe" is that they HAPPEN IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. If there is not feeling that we are peering into another realm which has weight to it, I feel it loses a lot of it's oomph.

#54 Posted by sasquatch888 (716 posts) - - Show Bio

is this guy still considered a top talent???

#55 Posted by blackkitty (449 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv: I'm with you. 3.99 for a comic is already outrageous, 5.99? Right out.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#56 Posted by StMichalofWilson (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has been hitting it out of the park with these number 1s. I hope people read them.

No Caption Provided

#57 Edited by jcass10 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam got the axe?

#58 Edited by johnqestion (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois Lane is a jerk. Reading his mail and trying to muscle in on his private affairs. You see it is his why the hell you don't put it on his desk? It's got a 90ties feel the writing though. It ain't no Geoff Johns JL I can tell you, which is firing on all cylinders now. JLA is for the people who like old school type writing I feel and maybe you might be able to give it to people who only know heroes from tv/ movies.

#59 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really a fan of stories that are non canon. They feel pointless.

#60 Posted by EdBlank (1480 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfabz-23 said:

They kinda are

#61 Edited by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio
#62 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@edblank said:
@kfabz-23 said:

They kinda are

As long as they entertain you, they're not really pointless.

#63 Posted by cfreetherapper (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: LOVING these new books! JLA was incredible. Martian Manhunter, Midnighter, all the Superman titles, Section 8. all of em! what a great time to be a DC fan

#64 Posted by the_stegman (40360 posts) - - Show Bio
#65 Posted by cfreetherapper (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@edblank: fair point, BUT a bunch of DC books do still share the same universe, for example all the batman books and superman books which are all in the same universe where Batman is currently dead. Post convergence gives us books like the new JLA which is outside of the continuity of the others. As someone who has read most of the titles released by dc this month, I feel that the loosening of continuity was a great thing.

#66 Posted by EdBlank (1480 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfabz-23 said:

@edblank: kind of what?

Pointless. Since they don't fit into the overall shared universe

#67 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

@edblank: oh yeh Lool that's what I meant

#68 Posted by Blackdog2009 (3826 posts) - - Show Bio

Great read, great visuals, good mystery. It feels epic Worth the price really.

#69 Posted by EdBlank (1480 posts) - - Show Bio

@edblank: fair point, BUT a bunch of DC books do still share the same universe, for example all the batman books and superman books which are all in the same universe where Batman is currently dead. Post convergence gives us books like the new JLA which is outside of the continuity of the others. As someone who has read most of the titles released by dc this month, I feel that the loosening of continuity was a great thing.

Sounds like an easy out for the continuity "problem". Can you make a statement about what's "happening" when Batman is a completely different person from one book to the next?

#70 Posted by cfreetherapper (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@edblank: that's a fair criticism, because it is going to be a balancing act between current continuity and exploring the DCU canon. But so far there is no sign of a total loss of continuity. The direction they are taking seems to be the best of both worlds.

#71 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstroke52: It may be a good issue but it's not worth that much. It's basically an issue one mystery with a battle.

#72 Posted by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@justice_teen: I don't think those terms matter anymore. DC feels about continuity the same way a fish feels about air. It's there, but's not useful.

#73 Posted by Mexican1985 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice league vs alien invasion. This is new.....

#74 Posted by EF281 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

So it's a better deal than $3.99 books. I don't buy those either.

Avatar image for oldschoolavangers
#75 Posted by OldSchoolAvangers (27 posts) - - Show Bio

jaws dropped in the last page. Literally.

#76 Posted by SUNMAN (8588 posts) - - Show Bio

This was awesome. Amazing story so far, great writing.

Art was fine. Very good/solid in some places, a little shaky in a few panels.

Overall loved it Hitch is a tremendous writer.

#77 Posted by NWOslave (117 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read one DC title, Deathstroke. But i fingered through the book and nothing about it really said buy me. It seems like standard fare villain of the week, cut and paste story with some mystery of dead supermen. Which I wish there was more build up considering it seems to be first story arc of the series. The price tag didnt even phase me since the pages were on good paper, and lots of them. But I easily put it back on the shelf and spent money on back issues of Harbinger.

#78 Posted by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio

Great shift between characters. Liked to see Parasite as a League threat and just overall enjoyable.

#79 Posted by NWOslave (117 posts) - - Show Bio

@unbreakable_fs4: Marvel is doing better than DC as far as sales. I had this conversation with another DC die hard. Since January of this year DC had been behind in market share sales by 16% . The numbers came from Diamond Distribution. So yea. There you go.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#80 Posted by The Impersonator (8500 posts) - - Show Bio
#81 Edited by unBREAKable_Fs4 (4325 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwoslave said:

@unbreakable_fs4: Marvel is doing better than DC as far as sales. I had this conversation with another DC die hard. Since January of this year DC had been behind in market share sales by 16% . The numbers came from Diamond Distribution. So yea. There you go.

Alright. Now explain to me what sales figures have to do with my preference of what comic to read.

#82 Posted by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio
#83 Edited by NWOslave (117 posts) - - Show Bio

@unbreakable_fs4 said:
@nwoslave said:

Alright. Now explain to me what sales figures have to do with my preference of what comic to read.

well you did say

Jun 18, 9:25am

It was an enjoyable read.Marvel better step their game up cause at this point everything I read (excluding Secret Wars) is DC.

what game, writing, continuity,art, events? their game is crushing DC at this point in time so if you havent found something in marvel to read other than Star Wars by this point in time then you never will and your challenge rings rather hollow.

I found JLA boring, tripe, flat, homogeneous and cookie cutter. the price didn't affect my decision to not purchase it the contents did. then i used that money i saved to buy a couple of back issues of Harbinger.

#84 Posted by unBREAKable_Fs4 (4325 posts) - - Show Bio

@nwoslave said:
@unbreakable_fs4 said:
@nwoslave said:

well you did say

Jun 18, 9:25am

It was an enjoyable read.Marvel better step their game up cause at this point everything I read (excluding Secret Wars) is DC.

well you did say they need to step up their game, what game, writing, continuity,art, events? their game is crushing DC at this point in time so if you havent found something in marvel to read other than Star Wars by this point in time then you never will and your challenge rings rather hollow.

You do realize that comment specifically made relative to my preference, right?

How many comics either company sells is absolutely irrelevant to me. It's simple really, I enjoy the current stories coming out of DC far more than that of Marvel, which is why I dropped almost all my Marvel titles.

#85 Posted by NWOslave (117 posts) - - Show Bio
#86 Posted by unBREAKable_Fs4 (4325 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#87 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@jcass10 said:

Shazam got the axe?

I don't think anyone is going to miss him

#88 Posted by Thor_Ul (327 posts) - - Show Bio

Promising start.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
#89 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (19973 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a good start for this series.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
#90 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to see the simplified costumes. Flash without all his crazy lines all over. IMO it only looks good on Batman and GL.

#91 Edited by PR_1030 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

When I first saw the covers, I didn't like Hitch's art, but now that i see the interiors, I'm loving it!

#92 Posted by deactivated-579fe0ae58107 (1321 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, there's no justifying or defending a $5.99 cover price on a comic book.

#93 Posted by Stellar421 (875 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Hitch's art on The Authority and Ultimates, but somehow it doesn't seem to fit the JL.

#94 Edited by NELLOGISTICS (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Felt very classical reading. Compacted with superb art, I dug it. Definitely interested in where the story is going, specifically Aquaman's arc. Left much to be desired, the scope might prove to be as huge as I thought.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
#95 Posted by rocketraccoonthingy (8996 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks friggin awesome!!!!

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
#96 Posted by termiteone4ever (13017 posts) - - Show Bio

Parasite had a taste of Wonder woman :-0. powers above superman ):-) wait did i read wrong:)

#97 Posted by cza (25 posts) - - Show Bio

ok i will hehe

#98 Posted by Teerack (10703 posts) - - Show Bio

The comic for people who want to pretend comic books haven't changed.

#99 Posted by mrkareemruiz (477 posts) - - Show Bio

nice book, cyborg was cool

#100 Posted by Mooty_Pass (10246 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question. If Batman Died Do you think the Justice League would replace him? Or Just leave the team the way it is without adding another member? Just curious.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.