Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Recommend me some MMH stories!!!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Twentyfive

I am not convinced that MMH is a better character for a JLA movie than Cyborg, or even a better character period. As I see it, people came out of nowhere crying some nonsense that MMH was the most important character in the JLA because he got replaced by Cyborg. DC is trying to cater to a broader demographic by including Cyborg in their main seven, but whenever something like that happens in the world of comics, the readership keeps crying and moaning about change, and wanting to read the same jargon over and over and over again. That is my main problem with comics, and why I feel they won't progress.

I want you guys to recommend me some MMH stories. Either stories of his own, or JLA stories where he's the main character. I hope they're good.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Captain13

Good luck. There are none.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twentyfive

@Captain13: You are telling me.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

I'll rank the books I've read from best to not as good.

1. Brightest Day (He had one of the major story lines in this series, it really gets into the mind of MM.)
    2. Martian Manhunter: Others Among Us (What if J'onn's not alone?)
    3. I recommend the entirety of Justice League International, but vol. 5 has the best MM story.
    4. Final Crisis Companion (The funeral of Martian Manhunter.)
    5. JLA: Trial By Fire (What if Martian Manhunter loses his fear of fire? A fun, and interesting story that really digs into the Martian pyrophobia.)
    6. Martian Manhunter: American Secrets (Pretty good, not the best, but it's interesting to see Martian Manhunter solve a mystery in the 50's.)
    7. Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter vols. 1 and 2 (Fun silver age Martian Manhunter stories, no real emotional value, but like I said, they're fun, and they show how MM was originally written.)
    8. Stormwatch (He was never really a main character to the series, but he was pretty badass throughout.)
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Twentyfive

@The_Tree: Thank you, Mr. Tree.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonSmith

FINALLY. I've been looking for good Martian Manhunter stories. Thanks for making this thread, . I am now hijacking it.

KEEP THE RECOMMENDATIONS COMING.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_tree

@Twentyfive: You're welcome, Mr. Washington.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Twentyfive

@The_Tree: LOL. I like you. You get it. Like only 2 people. Anyway, I wanted to call you Mr. Jerusalem, but an avatar is something that can be changed at a whim.

@JonSmith: You are quite welcome for the thread, but I cannot allow you to commandeer this thread...

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

There's one where J'onn's cookies are stolen by Booster Gold and Blue Beetle and he goes on a rampage. I'll have to find out where it takes place.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By JohnnyWalker

@The_Tree: what was that story where he was addicted to oreos and went nuts? i remember that one being fun.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_tree

@Avenging-X-Bolt: @JohnnyWalker: Pretty sure it's Martian Manhunter #24. I haven't read any of that solo series, it'd be a pain in the ass to collect all of the single issues, since it was never collected into trade.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twentyfive

Bump. Come on guys. Help me out. How the hell can you seriously expect someone to go crazy over MMH, when the best of his stories include some crap about him going crazy over cookies?

You people on this website are HILARIOUS, I swear to god.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By sethysquare

I dont think he has much stories. Those mentioned above are about it. Most of them are in Justice League or Brightest Day (which his story wasn't very good). He doesn't have any good stories in his solo book. None was really remembered.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WDW

@sethysquare said:

I dont think he has much stories. Those mentioned above are about it. Most of them are in Justice League or Brightest Day (which his story wasn't very good). He doesn't have any good stories in his solo book. None was really remembered.

MMH has a Solo book?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the_tree

@WDW said:

@sethysquare said:

MMH has a Solo book?

He had a solo book in the 90's that lasted from issues #0-36, a One Million issue, and 2 annuals.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WDW

@The_Tree said:

@WDW said:

@sethysquare said:

MMH has a Solo book?

He had a solo book in the 90's that lasted from issues #0-36, a One Million issue, and 2 annuals.

oh so I guess it stunk then?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sethysquare

@WDW said:

@The_Tree said:

@WDW said:

@sethysquare said:

MMH has a Solo book?

Basically. Yeah. No one cared about it.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@TwentyFive: since when did anyone ask you to go crazy over Martian Manhunter?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Anyway,there's also the Malefic arc from the MM series where his psychotic brother targets him and the entire league for execution, the fernus arc from justice league where he is possessed by a creature from Mars past and basically kicks the entire League's collective asses

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WDW

@sethysquare said:

@WDW said:

@The_Tree said:

@WDW said:

@sethysquare said:

MMH has a Solo book?

Basically. Yeah. No one cared about it.

Now I really want to find some issues of these and read for myself.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AtPhantom

@The_Tree said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: @JohnnyWalker: Pretty sure it's Martian Manhunter #24. I haven't read any of that solo series, it'd be a pain in the ass to collect all of the single issues, since it was never collected into trade.

Yeah, that's the one. It still ranks as one of the funniest things I've ever read. And that's surprising considering Ostrander is usually such a grim and serious writer. Comedy is the last thing you'd expect from him.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WDW

So where did the name Martian Manhunter come from? did he name himself that or was it coined by someone else like the media?

BushidoBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BushidoBlack

Hilarious thread.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AtPhantom

@WDW said:

So where did the name Martian Manhunter come from? did he name himself that or was it coined by someone else like the media?

Manhunters were the police in the Martian society, and J'onn was one of them before the cataclysm.

Also in regard to previous questions, yes, his series was actually pretty good and fleshed out the mythos very nicely.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_tree

@AtPhantom said:

@WDW said:

Manhunters were the police in the Martian society, and J'onn was one of them before the cataclysm.

Also in regard to previous questions, yes, his series was actually pretty good and fleshed out the mythos very nicely.

Not surprising, considering it's Ostrander. He knows his s###, and if there isn't anything to know, he develops it. I've been progressively going through his Spectre series.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AtPhantom

@The_Tree said:

Not surprising, considering it's Ostrander. He knows his s###, and if there isn't anything to know, he develops it. I've been progressively going through his Spectre series.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite series ever. I would say that MM was of similar quality to it. Ostrander is a master story-weaver.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WDW

@AtPhantom said:

@WDW said:

Kind of weird Martian Society police would be called manhunter. Is that like a translation to english from there original language or something

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Twentyfive:This is his best stories

1) Martian Manhunter:American Secrets

2) Martian Manhunter Special (1996)

3) Martian Manhunter Vol 2 (1998) and issue 1000000

4) Martian Manhunter Vol 3 (2006)

5) Brightest Day

6)Final Crisis:Requiem

@Captain13: what?? are you crazy?? You don't know what are you talking about!!

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AtPhantom

@WDW said:

Kind of weird Martian Society police would be called manhunter. Is that like a translation to english from there original language or something

Quite possible. I suppose the Martian Martianhunter would be a bit silly and redundant.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Twentyfive

@matchesmalone21: Thanks Malone. You are one of the coolest guys on this site imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Twentyfive: ooo Thank you!! You're welcome and whenever you need help, just ask

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.