Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Questioning Manhunter

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JamDamage

I was just as blown away a couple years ago as most of us were when we found out DC was revamping itself. Then things got a bit exciting. Seeing the infusion of Wildstorm, Vertigo, and the mainstream DCU. Seeing characters of the various universes become team members on some titles. One title that got me excited was seeing Martian Manhunter as a member of Stormwatch. It made sense to me. The alien he is. What Stormwatch is. Sure there was, and is, a lot of negative outcry regarding Manhunter not being a founding member of the JL. So what. Get over it. It's a revamp. It has to have some changes and I Manhunter not being a founding member of JL might not be something people thought made sense, but making him a founding member of Stormwatch was. Well, now he's not on Stormwatch. I'm questiong the usage of this character. Was this Johns intentional idea of what to do with Manhunter from the get go. Even tho Stormwatch has been, in my opinion, the most solid book has put out in the revamp other then Batman. Batman hasn't exactly been revamped that much tho. It's like it was never really changed at all except for the Red Robin crap. Anyway. Manhunter was a very big standing in the corner type of character in Stormwatch. Then he left. He mindwiped the members into not even remembering him as a member.......................lame. We also got some clues that he had a run in with the JL, and might have been a member right after the JL got together but they clashed. We'll find out. I'm just wondering if this was the idea all along. If so, then DC has just shit on Stormwatch fans. I bet a lot of people picked the book up because Manhunter was in the title. I hope they still read it. It's been a great book, and I'm still waiting for a showdown with Midnighter and Batman or Midnighter and Deathstroke. I don't see it happening anytime soon tho. Stormwatch isn't being infused into the DC universe enough and I'm rambleing on. Anyone else a bit confused on his usage tho?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@JamDamage said:

I was just as blown away a couple years ago as most of us were when we found out DC was revamping itself. Then things got a bit exciting. Seeing the infusion of Wildstorm, Vertigo, and the mainstream DCU. Seeing characters of the various universes become team members on some titles. One title that got me excited was seeing Martian Manhunter as a member of Stormwatch. It made sense to me. The alien he is. What Stormwatch is. Sure there was, and is, a lot of negative outcry regarding Manhunter not being a founding member of the JL. So what. Get over it. It's a revamp. It has to have some changes and I Manhunter not being a founding member of JL might not be something people thought made sense, but making him a founding member of Stormwatch was. Well, now he's not on Stormwatch. I'm questiong the usage of this character. Was this Johns intentional idea of what to do with Manhunter from the get go. Even tho Stormwatch has been, in my opinion, the most solid book has put out in the revamp other then Batman. Batman hasn't exactly been revamped that much tho. It's like it was never really changed at all except for the Red Robin crap. Anyway. Manhunter was a very big standing in the corner type of character in Stormwatch. Then he left. He mindwiped the members into not even remembering him as a member.......................lame. We also got some clues that he had a run in with the JL, and might have been a member right after the JL got together but they clashed. We'll find out. I'm just wondering if this was the idea all along. If so, then DC has just shit on Stormwatch fans. I bet a lot of people picked the book up because Manhunter was in the title. I hope they still read it. It's been a great book, and I'm still waiting for a showdown with Midnighter and Batman or Midnighter and Deathstroke. I don't see it happening anytime soon tho. Stormwatch isn't being infused into the DC universe enough and I'm rambleing on. Anyone else a bit confused on his usage tho?

Its been said from the very beginning that MM would find his way back to the JL. at least i think so.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By colonyofcells

It does seem like Martian Manhunter was put in Stormwatch just to make dc customers try out the Wildstorm title Stormwatch. Stormwatch already has Apollo so Stormwatch does not really need Martian Manhunter. Geoff Johns had big plans for Martian Manhunter bec Jonn now has a backup feature which usually means a solo title in some future time. If Katana and Vibe can get solo titles, I am sure the African American John Jones can also get a solo title some time in the future.

NewComicGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NewComicGuy

I was one of the people that picked up Stormwatch for Martian Manhunter, so if that was their plan, then it probably worked. The problem is, once he left, I pretty much left. I still like Midnighter quite a bit but the book just never quite caught on with me. Really hoping the new JL is something I enjoy.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Captain13

Several interviews have descibed Martian Manhunter as the ultimate spy. That makes sense given his powers. We should see this concept explored further in the back up pages of JLA

And this is a central concept in Alan Moore's "Twilight of the Superheroes" story that was never published. I have a feeling that Johns will borrow heavily from that story. It explains why Martian Manhunter is a spy, why Billy Batson is a jerk, and why Superman and Wonder Woman are dating. You should google it.

@JamDamage said:

One title that got me excited was seeing Martian Manhunter as a member of Stormwatch. It made sense to me. The alien he is. What Stormwatch is. Sure there was, and is, a lot of negative outcry regarding Manhunter not being a founding member of the JL. So what. Get over it. It's a revamp.

Applause, lol

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By colonyofcells

Kingdom Come also has some elements of the old Alan Moore pitch. We will soon have Trinity War with at least 3 groups probably siding with Question/Pandora/Phantom Stranger : 1. Superman/Wonder Woman. 2. Batman. 3. Martian Manhunter. Captain Marvel Shazam might be working for the Circle of Eternity.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their comic sales are in the gutter, so MMH was like:

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JamDamage

@colonyofcells: african american???

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#9  Edited By TheCannon

What's the point of this thread?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By colonyofcells

I think the first time John Jones became black was in the Smallville tv show and this was continued in the cartoons and now also in New 52.

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nightwing4

Manhunter fans shouldn't be mad, since he's becoming JLA's powerhouse.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@TheCannon said:

What's the point of this thread?

he's questioning DC's attempts to integrate the Wildstorm universe into the main DCU.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JamDamage

@Avenging-X-Bolt:

exactly

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.