Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Is JL: War worth buying?

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So because I have Amazon Prime, this blu-ray would only cost me $14.99 with free shipping. I've own most of the DC animated movies, so when I was this I was thinking "hey, that's actually pretty good!". The drawback is that I actually hated the story when I read the New-52 JL books. In fact, it's because of this storyline that I removed the title from my pull list. Part of me wants to be a completionist and add this to my collection, but the other part of me doesn't want to waste the money if it's just as bad as the comic book.

In other words, how does the movie compare to the book version? How does it compare to the other DC animated movies?

Avatar image for patrickborkland
    patrickborkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's very different from the comic story, the premise is the same (justice league is under attack), but by whom and why is completely different. I highly recommend it, and if you do choose to watch it, post back on here your reaction I'd love to talk about it

Avatar image for captaintightpants12
    CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

It's not as good as the book, but it was pretty good. I don't like the voices outside of Michelle Monaghan as Wonder Woman, but they'll grow on me.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

You could probably stream it online and then decide from that whether or not to buy it. That's what I ended up doing. In the end, even though I wasn't as impressed by the movie as I would have liked to be, my completionist nature made me buy the DVD.

It was pretty different from the comic book story it was adapted from. I enjoyed the film more than I did the original story. But it had some problems. I hated the characterization. And the plot was horribly unoriginal. There was some nice comedy though and as a whole the movie was a fun watch. I'd rank it below most other DC animated movies, but I wouldn't call it a bad movie.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Captain13

It sucked. If you have to watch it, borrow it from your local library.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I thought it was great. In my opinion, it improved on the original comic book story. Definitely worth buying.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is not the same as the book and DC is starting an animated universe with this movie so in order to understand the continuity effectively, watch it... Stream it online and then buy it if you like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worth renting.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alak

I went ahead and bought the movie because the completionist in me won out. It just seemed like it jumped from one fight scene to the next without any major character development for most of the cast. However, the one part of the movie that I loved (which was also from the books) was Cyborg. I know he's a controversial replacement for Martian Manhunter, and I agree with the majority opinion. However, the way they handled him was just... awesome. His origin story was cool, and the argument with his father was really relevant to the DC universe because Victor's career aspirations in football was laughable in a world where figurative gods and goddesses zip across the skies. Plus, the way he transformed into Cyborg left me grinning.

I liked how the movie dedicated a lot of time to the Darkseid fight. He seemed to have better showings on screen than he did in the book. It's most likely due to time table and production cost differences between the comics and the movie. Still, it was at least enjoyable. I didn't like how they were forcefully shipping Superman/Wonder Woman but they're currently an item so I guess that's why they're pushing it so hard. All in all, the movie wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, but it still remains as one of the less impressive animated movies that DC has released. I hope that Son of Batman will have more quality directed towards its story-telling than its action scenes.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it. best animated film so far, IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not when you can watch it online for free like I did. Unless you just want it for your collection. It was good enough to be worth your money but not a must have

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

To me, it's among the weakest of the DC animated films, just stream it online.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I believe it's worth it.

It's got some great parts to it, but it's not the best DCOA movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.