Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3320 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Interview: Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok Prepare for The Darkseid War with the Justice League

• 62 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Things are heating up in JUSTICE LEAGUE. Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok are really raising the bar for themselves. The Amazo Virus was a pretty epic story but they're just warming up. We got the chance to sit down with the two to find out what to expect in June after Convergence.

COMIC VINE: How do you follow up The Amazo Virus story?

GEOFF JOHNS: You know how we’re following it up.

CV:Darkseid?

No Caption Provided

GJ: Yeah! The Darkseid War. Let me reset where we are for people who haven’t read it. The Amazo Virus was about an attack on Lex Luthor’s life that blew open LexCorp. In particular, a safety vault where a biological disease of his design was released and the Justice League have been dealing with the aftermath. Luthor’s been trying to clean up his mess. There’s been revelations behind the virus and why it was created. It’s still a little vague in Superman and the League’s eyes but in the conclusion, it’s all about how Luthor, even if he thinks he’s turning over a new leaf, can he really do it? There are things from his past along with who is trying to kill him and why.

That was Jay and I’s lead in to collaborate because we had never worked together on this big book. Ultimately we knew we were building towards June. June is this whole new start and take on our Justice League. What we’re doing with Darkseid War, and you’ll see in the Free Comic Book Day issue, although it’s a story that’s very epic in scope, it’s Darkseid…the Universe’s two deadliest villains ever facing off with the Justice League caught in the middle, it’s actually an extremely personal story to one of the members of the League and the team itself. We’ll see that develop.

Our goal in June is just to make JUSTICE LEAGUE a character-driven event book. We want to make it as big as we possibly can. Our issue in June is forty pages long. We’re treating it like the biggest story we could ever do. Again, on the surface, it might look like it’s very epic in scope but it is a very very personal story for the team.

CV: What’s it like drawing a team book with characters all over the place?

JASON FABOK: It took me a couple issues to figure out how to draw a team book. I’ve done a lot of Batman-single character books over the last couple years. You learn how to work a panel so you can get your book’s pages done on time. Now, all of a sudden, I’m not just worrying about one characters standing in a room talking with another guy, I’m worrying about three guys interacting with four people. And then they start to fight! How do you approach camera angles? How do you figure out planning and organization of where these characters are in a room?

The Amazo Virus was great because it was a small scale kind of story, in the sense that it was personal and happened in a specific area. It almost felt like the first couple issues were a single character book. Each scene had a few characters per page. Then the script for issue 39 comes in and it’s just classic Geoff Johns’ craziness. He allowed me to build up my confidence with this new kind of thing and get into that. After finishing that issue, I learned so much about how to structure a team book and how to structure fight sequences. Now I’m starting to get into that realm. I’m really falling in love with that.

My mentor is David Finch. I asked him to give me some secrets on team books because he’s worked on X-MEN and AVENGERS and FOREVER EVIL and all this other stuff. He said, “A team book is my favorite thing to draw. You’ll find out why. It’s hard work but there’s so much reward on every single page. Every page has an awesome character.” With Batman, yeah, you get to draw Batman maybe 50% of the time and the rest of the book is other characters. With JUSTICE LEAGUE, you’re drawing Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Lex Luthor. Then there’s all the awesome villains you have. Every page is something awesome or something new. It’s really exciting. You can’t help but get excited in the morning when you look at your script and you get to draw something really cool that day.

CV: Do you have a character that you really enjoy drawing?

JF: Yeah. For me it’s always been Batman but when we started JUSTICE LEAGUE, I really fell in love with Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor. Those are two characters I never really gave a thought to them too much, especially Lex Luthor. After drawing those characters a couple times I just really felt personally connected to them in some way. I felt I could really draw the in a way that maybe people haven’t seen before. I’d done a lot of research at how other artists have approached these characters over the years and then tried to do something that was mine. Something that kind of evokes the older kind of ways fans really love but also take it to a new modern direction. Like, we changed Wonder Woman’s costume for our Justice League arc. It was just a costume that I always wanted to draw. I always saw her in this way.

GJ: It was actually one of the images that made me go, “Oh my god, I’ve got to get Jay on JUSTICE LEAGUE” because I saw his Wonder Woman. I don’t even know what it was from.

JF: It was from my portfolio that I got into DC with.

GJ: I saw it online and was like, “That’s an amazing costume.”

JF: It was like five years old…

No Caption Provided

GJ: I loved the costume, it was a great design. She looks strong and powerful. By looking at the pages coming in, suddenly Diana became a bigger part of the story. She actually became a more central figure to the story because I was just drawn to the powerful and emotional truth he was brining out in the character. I also think her relationship with Luthor, in 39 in particular, is a complex and interesting one. Lex and Diana, I really find that relationship extremely interesting to explore. I think Wonder Woman, she can see right through Lex but she still thinks he can choose to do the right thing. I think Lex knows that and it actually intimidates him. If she can see something good in him, maybe there is something good in him. He’s so narcissistic. He’s all about himself, where he’s presented, how he looks, and what he’s accomplishing. When Diana speaks to him, I think there’s a part of him that actually really wants to do the right thing. I think it’s really a compelling relationship. It says loads about Diana that she can do that. Batman, I think he’s a little more unsure. I think those two, with Lex in the middle, for me, that’s writing gold. I could write those three all day long.

No Caption Provided

CV: Is the status of the team going to stay the same?

GJ: Yeah, in June, our book will feature the Big Seven plus Shazam, Lex Luthor, and a couple new surprises as well.

CV: How is JUSTICE LEAGUE going to compare to JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA?

GJ: I think JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA is just out of continuity adventures that kind of stand on their own.

CV: Are we going to see any characters we haven’t seen in the New 52?

GJ: Yes. You’ll see a lot of new characters we’re introducing two of them in the Free Comic Book Day issue. You’ll see a lot of…we kind of refer to what we did with Mera in Blackest Night. I love taking characters that kind of off in the corners or maybe overlooked or people haven’t really thought about ever or at least in a long time and bring them to the forefront of an event to mix them up with Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern. I always find the dichotomy in that contrast is really exciting to explore as a writer.

We do have other characters, one of them in particular is Mister Miracle. He’s going to play a central role in the story. We’ve crafted him in a very deep way. I’m really excited about working with Mister Miracle because I’ve never worked with this character. For me, it’s something brand new. It was someone Jay really responded to when we started talking. He had already wanted to draw him as well. We’re also introducing a lot of new stuff. I really enjoy like with Green Lantern or Shazam or Aquaman, invigorating the core concept and then add in new stuff. Like rethinking Sinestro and Black Hand but adding in things like Atrocitus or Larfleeze. One of the things we’re doing with Darkseid War is, in June, we really want to put a stake in the ground and make JUSTICE LEAGUE the biggest, craziest event book, but have it so character driven and full of new ideas and old characters reintroduced and make it the best of both worlds. We want to make it the ultimate DC Universe book

JF: We want to make it the book so that if you’re a comic book fan and like DC, you have to read this.

GJ: Yeah, we want nothing less and we’re putting everything we can into it. We are pouring everything we have into this title. This is our chance to really, as a team, give it its all. We have the page count for the first issue to do it. We have the characters to do it. Really, it’s up to us. We talk several times a week and we’re really excited about it. The fact that we know the exact last scene in the last part of the storyline, we know exactly what we’re building to. It’s the most important thing because now we have a purpose for the story. We know what the story is about. We know why we’re telling the story. It’s great, on the surface, to have Darkseid battle the Anti-Monitor and what that means. But the story is much more than that.

Don't miss the Free Comic Book Day issue. Here's the solicit for issue 41:

JUSTICE LEAGUE #41

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Art and cover by JASON FABOK

THE JOKER Variant cover by DAVID FINCH

Blank variant cover

On sale JUNE 17 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for details.

The critically acclaimed team of Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok present the much anticipated, extra-sized first chapter of “DARKSEID WAR”! When the Justice League investigate a series of unexplained murders on Earth, it leads them to the frontlines of a war unlike any the DC Universe has ever seen – a battle between the two most powerful villains in existence: Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor! Meet Darkseid’s daughter – a mysterious force of evil with a bizarre connection to the Justice League! Plus: The horrible secret of Superwoman’s baby! The ultimate temptation of Batman! Lex Luthor vs. Superman – no holds barred! New villains! New allies! And so much more in the DC Event that has been building since JUSTICE LEAGUE #1!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

"I. Am. The. New. God. All is one in Darkseid. This mighty body is my church. When I command your surrender, I speak with three billion voices. When I make a fist to crush your resistance. It is with three billion hands. When I stare into your eyes and shatter your dreams. And break your heart. It is with six billion eyes! Nothing like Darkseid has ever come among you: Nothing will again. I will take you to a hell without exit or end. And there I will murder your souls! And make you crawl and beg! And die! Die! Die for Darkseid!"

FireThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope these new events will be more about flash and green lantern: I am bored of reading superman and batman oriented stories

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see the big fight.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love me some Darkseid and Jason Fabok art is always great. Looking forward to this. On a side note who the f@ck does Hal think he is making Batman take a backseat to him on the cover?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It’s great, on the surface, to have Darkseid battle the Anti-Monitor and what that means. But the story is much more than that." I kinda just wanna see then duke it out but I'm really excited for this. Curious why this is so personal for the league.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am pump up for this. I have been waiting so long.I hope they do not drop the ball on this one.

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By redmanta

im so excited for DARKSEID WAR

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm riding on the hype train, and I shan't get off!

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SWEET!!!!!!!!! Literally can't find words to express my excitement so this'll have to do.

SoftMachineOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fabok is an amazing artist...underrated imo.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Can't wait

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Cool interview. Can't wait for Darkseid War!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fabok's Wonder Woman is fantastic.

batman2000516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well at least when he references the Big Seven is staying the same, that means Bruce is Batman.Very excited for this, and "The Temptation Of Batman" sounds interesting

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@the_stegman: Where is that from :O

Also, you gonna read this event?

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, Batman wins.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JLA will be non canon !? MAN WTF

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_stegman  Moderator

@2cool4fun: Final Crisis.

And yes, I'm totally reading this event!

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the one book I am most interested about! So hyped for what Geoff and Jason have in store for us!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

War is coming.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sasquatch888

@muyjingo said:

Fabok is an amazing artist...underrated imo.

he's one of the best in superhero comics ,,,,,as far as the classic superhero look.... comics have diversified their look artistically in the last few years and a lot looks cartoony like batgirl does now that's great also ,,,I prefer the classic anatomy and dynamic look for a book like justice league....if marvel had this artist he'd be doing event books ,,,they always put their best artist on events or to draw the first 3 or 4 issues of a new title then they take the artist off and put him on a new book to draw the first few issues then repeat ...they did that with david finch and now ed mcguinnes (look at amazing x-men and nova )... dc puts their best artists on regular monthly titles for the long haul and its appreciated .... marvel think its winning but event books are killing comics in the long haul for short time gain ,,,why cant they tell a story like axis just in the avengers and x-men books ,,,why do we need AXIS : hobgoblin for example ? its overdone ... I like what dc is doing now ,,,getting back to basics ...smart idea .... im buying more dc now and I've been a marvel guy basically im in my 40's and can buy whatever and how many comics I want but im kind of intimidated by secret wars and think it will break the bank ....I wish I knew how much the total price of that crossover is vs convergence ...THIS SUMMER WILL BE THE MO$T EXPENSIVE EVER COMICWISE!

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'll start reading this at #40 :P

Is the older stuff necessary reading? I didnt give it a shot a few years ago when I just started reading, and when I got interested Hal was gone and nothing too amazing seemed to be going on. But with Hal and darkseid I think it's time to start reading.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@tensor: Don't worry, it's Geoff Johns, this kind of thing is his specialty. Plus Justice League is the only book he's writing right now, so he can put all of his focus on it.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will def. pick up

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I'm just glad Hal is back. I like Wonder Woman's portrayal from Amazo Virus more than anything else. Except for Azzarelo's run.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Superguy1591

@sagejonathan: Do you have to read The Amazo virus chapter? No. Should you? Yes. It's one of Geoff's best runs on JL so far. Plus, I have a feeling you'll like how it ends. ; )

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

They need to make that WW costume the regular

Malicron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Malicron

As long as John Romita Jr. stays away from it then I'll buy every single one.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just need to make Fabok's WW the official look. It's too good.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so excited for this! Fabok's art is perfect for this book. Hopefully he stays on it for a long time!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Soooo gooood

~MiB

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This is going to be one heck of a arc.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely pumped for this!

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooo excited for this

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruh... this is making me hard!

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am excited for this story. Love this series. I do like how Jason Fabok draws Wonder Woman in the Amazo Virus. I'm loving Fabok on Justice League. I hope stays on the book for a long time.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They better bring it. Fabok did a great job on the Amazo Virus and I want a good solid Justice League story again.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin said:

They better bring it. Fabok did a great job on the Amazo Virus and I want a good solid Justice League story again.

This. I really want to the league working as a team, where everyone is contributing something important and great to the team and not only on just one or a distinct few.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firethunder: I agree I hope they give more room to the others. I like the tension with Lex but either have him implode proving he is a villain for real or let it simmer on the back burner so others can get more story time and readers don't get burnt out on it.

Jason Faboks art is awesome and he draws the best Wonder Woman I had ever seen. The outfit he has for her is the exact one I have always wanted her to have. I hope all artists switch to this outfit. I liked the 600 one (w/o the jacket) but this I would love posted on my wall in my office.

I'm excited for this story (although I thought Anti-monitor was a larger entity then Darkseid)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degraaf: He is, but it's probably going to be Darkseid and all of Apokolips vs the Antimonitor.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Sounds fun! Really hope they do something with Amos Fortune since they hinted him at the end of Amazo Virus. Maybe he'll appear in Justice League of America. Words can't describe how excited I am for that book. Sounds like a modern Silver Age book.

lexxust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasquatch888: i agree with you 100%, im going to buy the 1st issue of most everything then i dump the ones that have crappy art , mostly marvel and any books that have stupid out of character stuff in it , mostly marvel, and ive been a marvel guy for close to 40 yrs. now for some reason they think just changing things around is a substitute for good stories, again mostly marvel.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so hype for this~

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.