Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Idea for New Justice League Members

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I have just had the thought of maybe the old Teen Titans members could be added to the Justice League. Ever since the New 52 began, Cyborg had joined the League which basically caused the destruction of the Teen Titans as we knew them. Since then Teen Titan members have been scattered throughout the DC universe. Beast Boy and Raven being involved with some TT stuff, Starfire and Red Arrow are now with Red Hood, Tempest being hinted to, Nightwing being isolated from the rest of the superhero world (or so it seems) and dying, and Wally and Donna are to appear soon. What if DC brought them all back by giving these heroes a spot on the Justice League. In my opinion the main Justice League of the New 52 has seemed a little too small. We have our original 6 plus Cyborg. And we added, like what, two members after that. Now Lex and Captain Cold are joining (which I don't think will last long). IDK just an idea. Make the main the Justice League a bit bigger while also bringing many of the Titans back together and having Cyborg's relationships reestablished.

Avatar image for captaintightpants12
    CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@crazyscarecrow: They did make the Justice League bigger, and it almost killed them all, haha. That's how Forever Evil basically came to happen due to the new Atom.

But in all seriousness, I'd like to see Nightwing become a full-fledged member of the Justice League at some point. There were talks that he was going to have a leading role with the Justice League International when it launched, and I like that quite a bit. I also think with Young Justice rumored to be a new book, they could launch a Titans book and focus on some of the younger heroes that have graduated past side-kick status like Red Robin, Arsenal, Wally West, Donna Troy types. Leave Young Justice to the Robins, the Kid-Flashes, and Wonder Girls of the world.

I really liked the idea early on in the New 52 of the Justice League, the Justice League Dark, the Justice League International, and the Justice League of America being inter-connected while giving them their own proper individual identities. I'd continue down that road rather than just have one Justice League that has a huge roster.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By SupBatz

I think that the New 52 would benefit from the first generation Teen Titans just banding together. Re-introduce Wally and Donna, have Cyborg leave the League (even if only temporarily), grab Nightwing out of his isolated corner of the DC Universe, take Starfire away from Red Hood etc. The team doesn't necessarily have to be a "Teen Titans" book, because all of the characters are a bit older now. But it'd be nice to see the return of that team dynamic. Right now, the New 52 suffers from major isolation syndrome. I miss when it used to feel like a lot of these characters were friends with one another.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz: That's what I miss a lot about the DC universe. I miss seeing Cyborg hanging out with Beast Boy and Nightwing being friends with so many of the other heroes. I would love to see Cyborg leave the League and have someone else take the spot like maybe John Stewart or Ray Palmer whenever DC finally does give him his Atom costume back. I always thought about them just being a separate team that wasn't the "Teen Titans" in the New 52, but I don't think the big wigs at DC would let Cyborg leave the League. They have been marketing Cy as a member of the Justice League like crazy!

@captaintightpants12: I see what you're saying. I like the idea for Young Justice and a Titans book. I like the idea of different Leagues it's just sometimes makes me wish Martian Manhunter or Green Arrow were still working with the other big name heroes of the DC universe. I always liked how in the older Justice League comics you would see the team gradually increase in their members. I guess having all of the potential League members being separated with a government League or a paranormal League (I love that idea!) would kinda just put those members on hold for the main team membership.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: I like to think that they are more-or-less members of the same team, they just have different titles to focus on stories that make more sense for the characters. There just aren't many stories that make sense for a Superman and Green Arrow to team-up or Constantine with the Flash. They can be fun little one-shots, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense given their power-sets or lack there of, so I love the idea of grouping the characters that do make sense and then occasionally have them cross paths in cross-overs.

Having the supernatural/paranormal heroes in one group, the more street level heroes in another group, and then the big scale heroes and so on and so forth really makes for a much richer reading experience, in my opinion. I think they're all kind of part of the same group, but as far as titles go, I like that they're playing to the characters' strengths to make for better stories than to have the core Justice League flail during a paranormal story or watch Green Arrow, Constantine, and similar company try to deal with Darkseid.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

@crazyscarecrow: They did make the Justice League bigger, and it almost killed them all, haha. That's how Forever Evil basically came to happen due to the new Atom.

But in all seriousness, I'd like to see Nightwing become a full-fledged member of the Justice League at some point. There were talks that he was going to have a leading role with the Justice League International when it launched, and I like that quite a bit. I also think with Young Justice rumored to be a new book, they could launch a Titans book and focus on some of the younger heroes that have graduated past side-kick status like Red Robin, Arsenal, Wally West, Donna Troy types. Leave Young Justice to the Robins, the Kid-Flashes, and Wonder Girls of the world.

I really liked the idea early on in the New 52 of the Justice League, the Justice League Dark, the Justice League International, and the Justice League of America being inter-connected while giving them their own proper individual identities. I'd continue down that road rather than just have one Justice League that has a huge roster.

I agree. The New 52 hinted that Nightwing led a team of young heroes in the past with Starfire and Roy, I would love for them to get back together and call themselves "The Titans". Since Wally is coming back, have him join, introduce Donna Troy, Aqualad etc. I'd read that in a heartbeat.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I can distinctly recall Roy asking Starfire if she remembered Dick Grayson as if they had been the Teen Titans at some point in Red Hood and the Outlaws. I'd like to see a book that either has them reuniting for some reason, or perhaps even a book that takes place in the past with those folks. I keep waiting for Donna Troy to pop up in Wonder Woman or for Aqualad to do the same in Aquaman, but I haven't spotted them yet.

Once we find out what this rumored Young Justice book is going to be out, we might have a bit more to go off of. At first glance, it would seem to be the new Teen Titans book with Red Robin, Kid Flash, Superboy, Wonder Girl, etc. moving over to it. But the timing with the end of Nightwing's book (though there is this Nightwing & Bluebird rumor) and the debut of Wally West has me wondering if the book takes place in the past, perhaps revealing that Wally had been around before and we just haven't had it mentioned yet.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@captaintightpants12: Well, Garth was mentioned in Aquaman 14, so I'm assuming he at the very least, exists in the New 52.

No Caption Provided

As for the new Young Justice title, I don't know what it's gonna be about, I'm assuming the current status quo for them will be changed in some way.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@the_stegman: He was also mentioned here in Red Hood, so he definitely exists in the New 52. For some reason, I was thinking more of Kaldur, maybe because I think of Garth being more graduated to Tempest. There's definitely history there, at the very least.

As for Young Justice, it'll be impossible to tell until we find out a roster, but I have a hunch that it's not just going to be a continuation of Teen Titans. Why else change the name of the book when Teen Titans is so much more recognizable than Young Justice?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

No Caption Provided

@the_stegman: He was also mentioned here in Red Hood, so he definitely exists in the New 52. For some reason, I was thinking more of Kaldur, maybe because I think of Garth being more graduated to Tempest. There's definitely history there, at the very least.

As for Young Justice, it'll be impossible to tell until we find out a roster, but I have a hunch that it's not just going to be a continuation of Teen Titans. Why else change the name of the book when Teen Titans is so much more recognizable than Young Justice?

See, the thing i found interesting about that is, Roy says "Vic" as in Cyborg? He was a member of their team while also in the JL??

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: That's typical Scott Lobdell. This is far from the only instance of this in the New 52 and it's due to a serious lack of confirming what has or hasn't happened. I am still trying to piece together what has or hasn't happened in Superman's past.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaintightpants12: I actually like the way the paranormal characters are separate from the main League and the government League. Seeing the characters that don't make sense when they are together like Superman and Green Arrow is what I really liked about the Justice League. It gave the Justice League more variety and seeing the way characters made relationship throughout the stories and showed how characters as different as Hawkman and the Atom or Superman and Green Arrow interact with each other.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: I'm opposed to them teaming up in the slightest. I've always rather enjoyed the odd couples and the relationships that have formed between characters. Perhaps I should have chosen my words better. What I meant was, there aren't a lot of stories where that makes much sense story wise. Green Arrow is a street-level hero. Superman is on a much bigger scale. You'd have to force certain issues to make for quality stories with the two paired up that would end up feeling like the same story over and over again.

What I'm saying is that, as far as the core team of a book, I'd like them to be very sensibly paired up so that their stories can flow very naturally. I definitely want cross-overs and odd pairings from time-to-time, but the rosters themselves should play to their strengths in terms of the scale of the missions they go on. If Superman-types and Green Arrow-types were paired up on an every issue basis, it would make for a really boring read because you'd basically have someone that saves the day and someone that infiltrates and does the grunt work. You want the heroes to be able to go back-to-back in situations, and those types just don't pair very well together. It works sometimes, and it works brilliantly sometimes.

Batman and Superman are very much that way and it works because of their chemistry and their popularity. If it were up to me, we'd have like four or five Justice League books.

A core Justice League with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan as Green Lantern, and Flash that has people like Aquaman, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, etc being more-or-less regulars though not always around.

A core Justice League of America with more street-level types like Green Arrow, Nightwing, Black Canary, Blue Beetle, Black Lightning, Plastic Man, and a couple big gunner regulars like Booster Gold, Shazam, Martian Manhunter.

A core Justice League International with heroes that have a bigger presence outside of the US than others like Aquaman, Constantine, Vixen, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Red Tornado, and maybe even Wonder Woman since she seems to live in London now.

A core Justice League Dark with heroes like Zatanna, Constantine, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, with other heroes from the paranormal running around.

A core Titans led by the side-kicks that have graduated to official heroes like Red Robin, whatever we'll call Donna Troy and Wally West, Supergirl, Cyborg, Shazam, Tempest/Aqualad, Ravager, and any others that are too old to be Teen Titans anymore.

And then maybe even an all-female Justice League book led by Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Power Girl, Huntress, Vixen, Black Canary, Zatanna, Big Barda, Catwoman, Hawkgirl, and the rest of the female heroes that deserve to have some more panel time.

Go ahead and sprinkle the various Green Lanterns in there once we're done with the whole, "Sector 2814" belongs to the Red Lanterns. But yeah. They'd cross over all the time, and we could see all of our favorite heroes being main characters in different books. And you wouldn't have to feel like they've been relegated to the background of one book or another and you'd never have to feel like, "Damn. It's been forever since Blue Beetle got some love. He's totally overshadowed by the attention they give the other heroes." Which is honestly how I felt when we were supposedly reading "Justice League" books that really only had one or two characters pop in every arc and then you wouldn't see them again for a couple years.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Yeah, whether or not they are referenced under an official team title doesn't really matter to me. Basically, in my head, whenever the Justice League would come together, I imagine that Nightwing as Robin, Garth as Aqualad, Roy as Red Arrow would get left behind and became friends and occasional partners. There would be some event in the first issue that would explain how they came back together to form the Titans.

Maybe after Barry meets Wally (presumably for the first time) in the upcoming arc, and Donna makes her first appearance, Barry and Diana recommend that they join the Titans to hone their craft or something since they're a little too preoccupied to help them. Or maybe even have them suggest what good it did them being part of a team.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I've got to admit that the cancellation of Nightwing's book, the cancellation of the Teen Titans and launch of Young Justice despite the name value of Teen Titans, and the introduction of Wally West and knowing fans don't want to have him be around for one arc and then disappear again, it makes me wonder if something is in the works.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

@captaintightpants12: I see what you're saying and that would be nice. I love the idea of Justice Leageu Dark though I would love to see them change their name to something else. But yeah I see what you're saying. I think Justice League should have more of a focus on the what I consider the main DC heroes (the original 7 along with Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Hawks, Atom, and Captain Marvel), but other that I love what you're ideas are. Also I think their shouldn't be a female League since we already have the Birds of Prey. I like your team ideas I just don't like them all be linked to Justice League. Sorry if anything confused you with my response.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.