Does a JL film need seven members?

Avatar image for supbatz
#1 Posted by SupBatz (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

Would a league film have to have seven members? When listing characters people want for the film, they tend to list seven members.

Personally, my dream team would probably by Superman, Batman, WW, Flash (Allen), GL (either Hal of John), Hawkgirl/woman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, and Cyborg (10 members).

But that would mean having to balance alot of actors. Which leads me back to the question: do we need seven? Perhaps five or six members would be better suited so that each member can be highlighted. And if the film did well enough and got a sequel then that could introduce one or two new members.

If we're not going for seven members then maybe just Superman, Batman, WW, Flash, and GL would suffice.

What does everyone think? Should there be seven? More? Less?

Avatar image for geoff2005
#2 Posted by geoff2005 (213 posts) - - Show Bio

gotta add Aquaman or MM to the 5,

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
#3 Posted by The_jackolantern (501 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they need the 7 that started it and if they go for MM or cyborg I'm not bothered but I do need to see every1 in it

Avatar image for superdork
#4 Edited by Superdork (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's who you need:

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5
Avatar image for the_jackolantern
#5 Posted by The_jackolantern (501 posts) - - Show Bio

What no aquaman? The nerd rage would be crazy without 7

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have no problem with no MM or Cyborg in the first movie, maybe just a cameo.

Avatar image for thecannon
#7 Posted by TheCannon (20264 posts) - - Show Bio

You need the original seven. If you want to get rid of someone, get rid of Batman.

Avatar image for onemoreposter
#8 Posted by Onemoreposter (4361 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say you need at least 7. Personally I'd like to a satellite era type line up. I'd sub Plastic Man in for Ralph though.

Also, Morrison and Waid had some great line ups in the 90s. I was particularly fond of the one with Steel, Orion, and Zariel. I could take or leave the Huntress.

Some sort of amalgamation between the two would be perfect. My perfect JLA would be

-The original 7

-Plastic Man

-Steel

-Zatanna

-Black Canary and Green Arrow (those two have to come as a pair)

-Red Tornado

-Orion

-The Atom

I'd love to include Firestorm and Barda but I think anything over 14 or 15 is getting a bit out've hand.

Avatar image for batshrine
#9 Posted by batshrine (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes there should be 7, the team has always had a good balance and history with that number.

Musts: Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, GL (though I don't want it to be Hal), and Flash

Recommended: Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman

That above is the general picture I think most people think of when they think Justice League

Alternates: Cyborg (to tie in with new 52), Plastic Man (awesome comic relief though Flash does a good job of that too), Hawkgirl (throw back to the TV show), Black Canary (did I mention the JL at the moment only has one female), and Green Arrow (we can havee a Black Widow/Hawkeye analogy with the Avengers movie!!!)

But ya especially for a movie introducing all these characters (and yes that includes Batman and Superman) any more than 7 would just be a burden and a waste of good character development time.

Avatar image for wboy
#10 Edited by Wboy (457 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like one should be chopped off to make 6. You want the most characters but with characterization and balanced screen time for all of them including supporting cast.

Avatar image for superdork
#11 Posted by Superdork (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wboy said:

I feel like one should be chopped off to make 6. You want the most characters but with characterization and balanced screen time for all of them including supporting cast.

Agreed 100%

Avatar image for fodigg
#12 Edited by fodigg (6244 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

Would a league film have to have seven members? When listing characters people want for the film, they tend to list seven members.

Personally, my dream team would probably by Superman, Batman, WW, Flash (Allen), GL (either Hal of John), Hawkgirl/woman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, and Cyborg (10 members).

But that would mean having to balance alot of actors. Which leads me back to the question: do we need seven? Perhaps five or six members would be better suited so that each member can be highlighted. And if the film did well enough and got a sequel then that could introduce one or two new members.

If we're not going for seven members then maybe just Superman, Batman, WW, Flash, and GL would suffice.

What does everyone think? Should there be seven? More? Less?

Well, really a JL movie only needs three members, the trinity. I think 5 would be a good number though. I'd do:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

The trinity brings the classics, so I figure it's better to throw in some newer characters to round it out.

This would include supporting characters like Steve Trevor as well.

Avatar image for black_claw
#13 Posted by Black_Claw (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

I think seven is the perfect balance of characters, but I'd love to see eight members on the league.

Avatar image for gambit1024
#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

A JLA movie, to me, should have the original seven members. If not, that team minus Superman and Batman. I think it could be done.

Avatar image for flashknight
#15 Posted by FlashKnight (685 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should do 8

Batman

Superman

Wonder Woman

Flash

Green Lantern

Martian Manhunter

Aquaman

Cyborg

However if you cut out one then Aquaman is the most logical IMO.

Avatar image for cameron83
#16 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz: I agree with you.With 7 members we cannot focus on them that much

Avatar image for wboy
#17 Posted by Wboy (457 posts) - - Show Bio

6 As the main roster would be optimal for number of characters while maximizing characterization and screen time for all including supporting cast.

Or 5 even, the more you spend time with one character the more we get to know and love them if they're written right.

7 is pushing it and 8 becomes ridiculous.

Avatar image for valendianknight
#18 Edited by ValendianKnight (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, they will more than likely make it a series, if it does well, so I think having 5(Superman, Batman, WW, Green Lantern, Flash)would be great for the first movie. They can add Aquaman and Martian Manhunter/Cyborg in a sequel.

Avatar image for war07
#19 Posted by War07 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

It Should be 7 Members!!

Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#20 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (83620 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

You need the original seven. If you want to get rid of someone, get rid of Batman.

Avatar image for thecannon
#21 Posted by TheCannon (20264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

@TheCannon said:

You need the original seven. If you want to get rid of someone, get rid of Batman.

What?

Avatar image for bigbdawg
#22 Posted by BigBDawg (291 posts) - - Show Bio

If it was me, guys, I'd want Clark, bruce, Diana, Arthur, Barry, Hal, J'onn, and Victor :) Kinda like the team in Justice League: Doom.

Avatar image for flashknight
#23 Posted by FlashKnight (685 posts) - - Show Bio

That pic response was great lol

Avatar image for superdork
#24 Posted by Superdork (1035 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for lvenger
#25 Posted by lvenger (32753 posts) - - Show Bio

It should be 5-7. No more than 7 for sure. You can't do good characterisation with more than 6 or 7 main Leaguers. If I had to choose I'd have Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, John Stewart, Barry Allen and Zatanna or Hawkgirl.

Avatar image for skaddix
#26 Posted by Skaddix (3111 posts) - - Show Bio

5-7

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are locks. I would say then Flash and GL (John). Maybe try to get another female in there.

Avatar image for icon
#27 Edited by Icon (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

The line-up I want is Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, the Flash (Barry Allen), the Martian Manhunter or Cyborg, Aquaman, and Green Lantern (John Stewart).

Avatar image for cole_mercer
#28 Posted by Cole_Mercer (271 posts) - - Show Bio

superman, batman, ww, barry allen, john stewart, mm & aquaman should be perfect and maybe have cyborg as a JLA affiliate before he becomes an official member.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats the deal with nobody wanting Aquaman?

Avatar image for superdork
#30 Edited by Superdork (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Whats the deal with nobody wanting Aquaman?

1. Even though he's liked, he's not one of the big 5. And he isn't liked outside of fandom, so he's not a draw for a movie without lead-in films.

2. If the story is based on the Justice League: Origin, then Aquaman is the most-easily cut. And the more characters you cut the better, because then everyone left gets more screen time. And it's less confusing to audiences.

3. Warner is indicating that he won't be in the film (check out what I'm talking about here: http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america/65-31815/dcwarner-justice-league-movie-multimedia-synergy-campaign/92-715058/#16)

4. Even if he's not in Justice League due to screen time, he could still carry his own ilm afterwards. Look at Ant-Man.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Whats the deal with nobody wanting Aquaman?

1. Even though he's liked, he's not one of the big 5. And he isn't liked outside of fandom, so he's not a draw for a movie without lead-in films.

2. If the story is based on the Justice League: Origin, then Aquaman is the most-easily cut. And the more characters you cut the better, because then everyone left gets more screen time. And it's less confusing to audiences.

3. Warner is indicating that he won't be in the film (check out what I'm talking about here: http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america/65-31815/dcwarner-justice-league-movie-multimedia-synergy-campaign/92-715058/#16)

4. Even if he's not in Justice League due to screen time, he could still carry his own ilm afterwards. Look at Ant-Man.

Screw that film then, no Aquaman, no Jon_Anon. After the Big 3 Aquaman is far more interesting than any of the other Leaguers, especially MM

Avatar image for sunman
#32 Posted by SUNMAN (7824 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman might not be as interesting depending on the plot. If they don't incorporate some underwater stuff it feels like he is being wasted/underutilized And I think the first movie should just try to be as awesome as it canbe instead of just trying to fit in every character.

I'd like Aquman but wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in the film.

If your leaving someone out I'd probably leave out MM and GL

Avatar image for bludhaven
#33 Edited by Bludhaven (34 posts) - - Show Bio

My biggest fear with having 7 members is that the movie will just turn into the Superman, Batman and (possibly) Wonder Woman show. Leaving other characters such as Flash and Green Lantern with the short end of the stick.

Avatar image for reignmaker
#34 Posted by Reignmaker (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

Focus the movie on three characters primarily throughout the story. Have two as filler and setup people. Add additional two in a future movie. I say, go small or go home.

Team should be Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Cyborg. People will come to this movie to see the Big 2, but by keeping the team small it will allow WW, Flash, and Cyborg to shine brighter and kick off their respective franchises.

Green Lantern needs to be treated like Geoff Johns - keep him out of it! I can't stress this enough. We need more time to heal from that awful Ryan Reynolds appearance.

Avatar image for sunman
#35 Posted by SUNMAN (7824 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

Focus the movie on three characters primarily throughout the story. Have two as filler and setup people. Add additional two in a future movie. I say, go small or go home.

Team should be Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Cyborg. People will come to this movie to see the Big 2, but by keeping the team small it will allow WW, Flash, and Cyborg to shine brighter and kick off their respective franchises.

Green Lantern needs to be treated like Geoff Johns - keep him out of it! I can't stress this enough. We need more time to heal from that awful Ryan Reynolds appearance.

I kind of agree with this. I think DC should try to make this a team movie though, give everyone a role writer fro them so they are important and integral to the part don't just have characters in the movie just to have them in their. But Batman and Superman will most likely get more of the focus.

Avatar image for colonyofcells
#36 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Just have the 3 well known super heroes like Superman , Batman and Green Lantern. Throw in Wonder Woman and Flash to help launch their solo movies. Save Cyborg for the 2nd movie.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
#37 Posted by Yung ANcient One (5308 posts) - - Show Bio
In My opinion it should be clearly The Trinity, GL, and Flash.  Plus one or two more but their going to get the least camera/character development time.  Martian,Aquaman,Hawkgirl, Cyborg, and/or Hawkman  (+)
Avatar image for outlawrenegade
#38 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

They only need 5. These 5:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5
Loading Video...

That's right. Color coordination and simple story telling, baby!

Avatar image for cameron83
#39 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

In my HONEST opinion,DC should just quit.

(and this coming from a past DC fanboy torn between 2 worlds,marvel/DC)

Avatar image for jldoom
#40 Posted by JLDoom (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

The New 52 roster has to be in the movie!

Avatar image for superdork
#41 Posted by Superdork (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

They only need 5. These 5:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5
Loading Video...

That's right. Color coordination and simple story telling, baby!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.