Follow

Justice League: Generation Lost

Volume »

A twenty-four issue bi-weekly miniseries featuring the former members of Justice League International and the schemes of the resurrected Maxwell Lord.

Review: Justice League: Generation Lost #1

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The JLI unofficially reforms to take care of a problem they're uniquely qualified to handle - - Maxwell Lord's return.

The Good

Lopresti did some really good work this issue - - just a great total package where I was never once drawn out of the story by thinking about whether the anatomy was right or the perspective was correct. I do feel like I should compliment Matt Ryan's inks too, because they're notably tight - - offering an impressive range of textures. I rarely notice inks, but these stood out especially well. Storywise, this was a great romp in the DCU, finally addressing a lot of loose ends that have been left hanging since Lord's "heel turn." You can definitely feel the JLI's sense of betrayal and their frustration over being blocked from getting restitution.  Without spoiling anything, I'll say that Captain Atom's "explosive surprise" and the "mind-bending" twist over Lord's identity at the end were stand-outs that I really didn't see coming.

The Bad

My complaint isn't specific to this book so much at is to the nature of superhero deaths in general. Obviously, resurrections are a part of superheroes, but I couldn't stop thinking about how half of these characters have died (and in such spectacular fashions). Much the same as I'm feeling about the current Superman books getting too crowded with Kryptonians, I feel like all the good the original Crisis on Infinite Earths did to simplify and streamline has been steadily undone and characters' histories are getting too convoluted for their own good.

The Verdict - 4/5

I think this throwback to the fondly-remember JLI was pulled off a lot better than what the Booster Gold solo title was trying to do in the same vein this week. Maybe that has something to do with Judd Winick co-writing this. This is definitely one of the better issues I've read this week. It's trying into the larger latticework of Brightest Day, but it's strong enough to stand on its own. I'm curious to see what happens now that Max's genie is back in the bottle, so to speak.
    asgoodasezra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By asgoodasezra

Captain Atom is back?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123
    @asgoodasezra:  yes
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By geraldthesloth

This was my favorite book of the week.

vincethekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By vincethekid

I think some of the throw back characters are just what needed in the DCU.  Great writers making obscure characters really cool again and some over looked characters a second chance is a good thing. 

Aquaman is awesome.  It all started with a boney seahorse. 
    Flash is back.  Barry Allen.  Nuff said. 

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aquamariner
    @vincethekid: 100% AGREED!!! A "Rebirth" for the Brightest Day characters was definitely in order!
    greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By greenenvy

Not enough fire yet. 

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Theodore

This was a pretty good issue, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I already this would happen, but still this was one of the best books of the week

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By iloverobots

I picked this up just for the hell of it and I have to say I loved it. I didn't know too much about the characters, and after reading the Captain Atom double feature in the last couple of Action Comics issues I was terribly bored with the character. I didn't know much about the JLI either, but this is definitely something I'm gonna be picking up now.  

The art was great, the writing made not-so-well-known characters really interesting and I think Maxwell is gonna be a big part of Brightest Day so this is an important piece of the puzzle.

Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
    carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By carnivalofsins00

so is this vital to the Brightest Day story in general? or could i pass?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.