• 59 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

The action and revelations continue as Green Arrow arrives to give the team some trouble. What is his relation to the team?

The Good

I have to admit, last issue felt a little rough to me. There were moments the art simply didn't work for me along with a couple moments of cheesiness. I'm happy to say this issue is getting it all back on track. The main thing I like is Geoff Johns is re-introducing the characters but is sneaking in little revelations. He's showing us how things were along with new information that is changing how we look at others.

Last issue when the story jumped to the present (after the five years ago in the first arc), it was a little odd that we would still have the same exact team after five years. This issue touches on that fact. Throw in Green Arrow and we not only get some answers but it proves to be pretty entertaining as well. I've been trying to read GREEN ARROW but I have to say I much prefer the way he was written here than he has been in his own book.

What about the art? Last issue, I'm not sure what happened. I was both a little shocked and saddened by the art. This issue's art by Carlos D'anda, Ivan Reis and Joe Prado was a welcomed sight. It has that hard and detailed superhero look that makes the action feel bigger than it is. Jim Lee will be back and this will hold me over until then.

Of course the added bonus is the back up story continuing to show the new origin of Billy Batson and Shazam by Johns and Gary Frank is a treat.

The Bad

It was good to see Green Arrow here but the fact that he felt different was a little weird. Yes, this title shouldn't be at fault for what's going on in another title but it'd be nice if I could enjoy that title more.

I mentioned I did enjoy the art. The only tiny exceptions is Wonder Woman looked a little dainty and Cyborg was pretty massive at times.

The Verdict

Last issue was a little rough for me but this issue is quickly reminding me why I've been enjoying the series. New revelations fill the story with why the team still consists of the same original members. Throwing Green Arrow into the mix gives us a different perspective on the team and gives us a version of Ollie that we can actually enjoy reading. As good as it was reading Ollie here, it also gave a slightly strange feeling since it feels like he's a different (and better) character than the Green Arrow appearing in his own book. The art was an improvement. We're waiting for the return of Jim Lee but the action scenes here played out nicely and the back up feature on Billy Batson makes the $3.99 price a sweet deal.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I thought this was a pretty good issue, I wonder who Green Arrows team are?

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By zackattack529

i actually liked the collaboration of artist on this issue. i think jim lee is good but way overrated. most of his characters faces look the same! at least here they feel all differnt. and geoff is improving the story a little here. but thats all i say...this is a 3/5 issue for me the series as a whole just doesnt compare to most titles in the new 52 this comic is definitly for young children..its a family comic its fun but has alot of issues as a serious comic

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Herokiller12344

Really? Really guys? We're seriously going to pretend that this is going to be an unexpected turn? i hate this reboot so much. Seriously how many times do we have to restate the same history that every decent fan should already know?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Herokiller12344 said:

Really? Really guys? We're seriously going to pretend that this is going to be an unexpected turn? i hate this reboot so much. Seriously how many times do we have to restate the same history that every decent fan should already know?

What are you talking about?
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Herokiller12344

@spiderbat87: We all know how this going to turn out! He's gonna fight the Jla for like 4 pages, overpower them somehow, then 3 issues later he decides to join, cause he's "just cool like that"

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Herokiller12344 said:

@spiderbat87: We all know how this going to turn out! He's gonna fight the Jla for like 4 pages, overpower them somehow, then 3 issues later he decides to join, cause he's "just cool like that"

Wrong on all counts dude, I'v read this already
    DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By DIOMJK

two questions:

HOW DOES GL HAVE HIS RING?!

And wasn't there another team run by the world government that isn't turning out too well? you know, the JLI, who Batman can't decide whether or not he's working with them?

At least the Martian Manhunter idea has some promise, and helps explain a bit of the continuity concerns present by not including him in the original. Here's hoping.

ekrolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ekrolo

This was a huge step up from the previous issue, the art from the guy who did the Arkham City prequels was great and its a massive step up, heres hoping they can keep this up and the money shot of manhunter owning the jl rivaled even Jim lee in quality.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Afro_Warrior

I enjoyed it, the writing seemed better than #7 in my eyes. It may have done enough to convince me to continue pulling the title.

@Herokiller12344:

Someone obviously hasn't read the book.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By cloudzackvincent

did anyone notice wonder woman flying?? looks like she can fly in the DCnU after all...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By dernman

Anyone else miss that bit with Steve Trevor and what team he use to be on? This issue made him look good on several fronts.

Again with most JLA issues since the reboot I both like and dislike it.

@cloudzackvincent: Yeah I saw that though there is debate as to whether that was floating or flying.

I think that there is something she wears that makes her fly. That would explain why sometimes it seems like she can and others she needs help.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BatteredArmor

Best issue so far, looks like Johns is finally getting a hang of it

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RyuHayabusa

@Dernman: Maybe they finally showed she can fly because of angry fans.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By dernman

@RyuHayabusa said:

@Dernman: Maybe they finally showed she can fly because of angry fans.

Maybe she there as been a lot of outcry because of the many changes. I can understand it but I also understand the need for such change. Also I'm just plain really liking them.

Funny though I think she should fly in JLA but in her book I feel it's better if she didn't.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThanosIsMad

The only good thing about this issue was the art and Team 7 reference. Especially the Team 7 reference.

Oher than that, it was trite and boring. Nothing happened in it, just like nothing has happened in the book so far except for pretty Jim Lee art. The pacing on this book is horrible. It's obvious that compared to Aquaman and Green Lantern, JL is an afterthought.

And Billy Batson is a jackass, but that's understandable.

2 out of 5 stars, and only because of the art and the backup.

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RyuHayabusa

@Dernman: She doesn't need to fly in her own book. I really like Azzarello's writing but i m not fan of "Daughter of Zeus" Origin.

Shazam_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shazam_Man

I really enjoyed this issue, but what was with Martion Manhunter?

Avatar image for deactivated-578ee3f81c5e1
    deactivated-578ee3f81c5e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked iit better back in the day when he was skiddish about being on the team, I'm not a fan of how quickly they had him not only want to, but beg for it. not to mention I liked he wasn't a complete pretty boy back when

It's like reading vogue for kids

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@Shazam_Man said:

DC's continued attempts to ruin one of their best, yet most underrated, characters. That's all.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Geoff Johns must have posed for that variant cover. I can just hear him now, going "Haters Gonna Hate!" Then he makes a trollface.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Bestostero

Martian Manhunter's bit was the best part.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#23  Edited By pspin

I liked Green Arrow as a bit of comic relief, Martian Manhunter was cool.

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By _Black

@The Mighty Monarch said:

@Shazam_Man said:

DC's continued attempts to ruin one of their best, yet most underrated, characters. That's all.

What happened with J'onn?

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_Black said:

@Shazam_Man said:

What happened with J'onn?

They made him into the Justice League's 'Scrappy Doo.' That mistake that they've learned from because they got into a huge fight when they let be the first new recruit.

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By _Black

@The Mighty Monarch: Oh hell. That doesn't sound like J'onn at all. Ugh.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bladewolf

Remember that time Geoff Johns said we'd find out why Aquaman opposed Green Arrow joining the League in this issue...and then we totally didn't find out?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BatteredArmor

/@bladewolf said:

Remember that time Geoff Johns said we'd find out why Aquaman opposed Green Arrow joining the League in this issue...and then we totally didn't find out?

Remember that time we had to wait more than 1 issue to find out about a newly introduced plot point? Oh wait no that's more than one time that's every comic ever

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Shazam_Man said:

I really doubt that, the pages where MM stands on the moon and listens to their thoughts while saying "There not ready" suggest he was just testing them and he will play a positive and likely very large role in the coming story arcs, I can't prove it but it was heavily implied

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JamDamage

This book was great. Green Arrow was awsome. I loved how they made it comical how he kept following them. The Team 7 mention was cool, The Martian Manhunter part got my heart pumping because I'm (and I might be the only one) LOVING Stormwatch right now. I wish there was a 2 team cross-over right there. Honestly I don't know who would win that fight. Just remember Stormwatch has Jenny Quantum. I'm dying for a showdown between Batman and Midnighter. They haven't made Midnighter all fruity yet with Apollo. Also who doesn't want to see Superman and Apollo fight yet either? You can already see how that one will turn out anyway. Apollo will start off kicking Supermans ass until he runs out of juice, then Superman will clean the floor with Apollo. Midnighter will do something that gives him the advantage Superman and make it look like an upset when Batman jumps in and beats Midnighter. All in all, if they really want to make Stormwatch a popular book, Midnighter should actually beat Batman. He would anyway. Even the new 52 version.

mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mbembet

book for retards! nuff said

Eet Mor Puppee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eet Mor Puppee

Just what the Justice League needed, another dude. They should call it the Justdudes League.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#33  Edited By Outside_85

For once the art was actually good...pity Johns seems to write this book to fit into an entirely different world that the rest of the DCnU isn't in.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By RedOwl_1

I didn't like last issue but this one is a lot better,

Avatar image for notquitevarsity
    notquitevarsity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By notquitevarsity

this issue was decent at best. i'm really excited to see what the story with J'onn is.

Also i personally LOVE the new billy. Next month can't come soon enough. Hopefully Shazam gets his own book, or at least added to a team

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GBrutality

i actually really hated this issue for so many reasons. the jim lee art is gorgeous sure, hell the captain marvel (shazam, whatever) back-up was also a nice touch (are they making that into a series or what) but this book confused and pissed me off badly.

at one point the JL had so many members and were really quite accepting, sure egos got in the way, but this was just plain cool-kid-crowd-and-you're-not-invited. especially with that unexplained, truly out of character, and impressively stupid cameo of martian manhunter. no. why would you do that? he was one of, if not the only, member to always be in the rotation as far as i can remember. and they show him attacking everyone? this is supposed to be tweaked and different, sure, but that is a bad kind of different. not interesting; bad. is he like that for some reason in stormwatch, i have no idea but all i can say is they did a huge disservice to a great character. am i overreacting to one panel; maybe, but that one panel and batman's whole "he didn't work out" spiel said enough enough to make me hate what they're implying has been changed with j'onn j'onzz.

MorlockMartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MorlockMartyr

@JamDamage: Hah! Stormwatch rules! Only Red Hood is better. Also, is the Shazam really worth that extra DOLLAR? NO!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By sinestro_GL

I liked the issue, but am a bit bothered with the portrayal of Green Arrow. Otherwise I hope the scene with the Talons wasn't a spoiler.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I haven't read it yet, but from glancing through it I would say a down side is that the SHAZAM story is too short. I would rather it had its own title instead of a few pages.

Deep_shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deep_shock

Dropped it at #6. Read #8 at my LCS and felt vindicated for doing so...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    I loved this issue! And like you said, Green Arrow was more enjoyable here than he is in  own series.
    durkadurka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By durkadurka

With the exception of a few scenes from some of the Bat books, especially Batman, this issue had one of my favorite scenes in the new 52. We knew Martian Manhunter had some sort of history with the JLA in the DCnU, but that one scene was just incredible. Not only is it a reminder of how powerful J'onn is, but it makes his place in the DCnU (and in Stormwatch, for that matter) that much more interesting. I can't wait for that to be revisited.

I'm also happy with them including the Night of the Owls here, since Batman seems much more willing to be a part of the League than some past incarnations and it would seem inconsistent if he didn't call on the League to help him out. That being said, if Superman and Flash and the rest of the League were helping with the Court, couldn't they make short work of them in a relatively short amount of time? I guess it just all happens really fast.

TheNax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheNax

The characters in this book feel completely different from the characters in their solo books.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to just pretend this book is not in continuity and take it for what it is, a book geared towards the mainstream audience & a stepping stone to the rest of the DCU.

Like the scene with the talon for example. I would have preferred it not be there because am I suppose to believe that the Talons are still around after facing the JL? Did Batman just call them to take out that stupid plane and if so, why call on the bat family now when you have freaking Superman, the Flash & GL to help you with the Talons?

But I know what DC is doing. Most people are just buying JL and that's DC's way to get them interested in the other books. If that doesn't work, they'll move on to company wide events.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @mbembet said:
    book for retards! nuff said
    Keep comments like this too yourself.
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By thatlad

@spiderbat87 said:

@Herokiller12344 said:

He's right, most of the good stuff from new 52 hasn't been a success and Justice League & Green Arrow are two big examples. I am not counting anything from the Batman or Green Lantern 'universes' as nothing has changed there except Red Hood and the Outlaws (awesome). I said this recently in a post but this new 52 hasn't done a lot for Justice League or Green Arrow. I personally think all the ratings on the JL books have been inflated due to the name recognition. If Johns and Lee wern't on the cover then they would be getting some poor ratings.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @thatlad said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Herokiller12344 said:

He's right, most of the good stuff from new 52 hasn't been a success and Justice League & Green Arrow are two big examples. I am not counting anything from the Batman or Green Lantern 'universes' as nothing has changed there except Red Hood and the Outlaws (awesome). I said this recently in a post but this new 52 hasn't done a lot for Justice League or Green Arrow. I personally think all the ratings on the JL books have been inflated due to the name recognition. If Johns and Lee wern't on the cover then they would be getting some poor ratings.

What has that got to do with his comment?
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By thatlad

He hates this reboot, nah fairplay reading it again I've gone on a rant. Sorry guys. Stand by my comments

Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Herokiller12344

@BlackArmor: @BlackArmor said:

@Shazam_Man said:

I really doubt that, the pages where MM stands on the moon and listens to their thoughts while saying "There not ready" suggest he was just testing them and he will play a positive and likely very large role in the coming story arcs, I can't prove it but it was heavily implied

Ready for What? A Secret Invasion ripoff?

Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Herokiller12344

@thatlad: Exactly, We all know where this is going. It's no secret that there going to turn Green Arrow into Hawkeye.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.