gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The first issue showed us how this world gained a...legacy of super-powered individuals. There was a slight odd feeling as the issue basically had two separate feels in terms of storytelling. The beginning had mystery and intrigue with the ending showing what happened years later.

Mark Millar is showing us a different side of the superhero lifestyle. You never really realize how one-dimensional even the best superhero comics can feel. We may get glimpses into the heroes everyday life but we rarely see heroes or those with superpowers doing other things with their powers besides fighting battles or making plans against their enemies. Millar shows that a world where people can have incredible powers is far from perfect.

A problem with the first issue was seeing several characters in different situations and trying to really care about them when we didn't know much about them. Now that we do know them a little more, it's easier to get sucked into the story. The first issue may have been about setting things up but here, Millar is not holding back. We get a couple pretty big developments that pave the way for some big twists in the next issue.

Frank Quitely's art is great to see. He has a knack for creating the right vibe in each scene and his attention to detail always varies with the different perspectives he uses. We get scenes with several characters and some panels will pull back to give us an idea of what is going on all around. This comic book universe definitely has a distinct feel to it.

The Bad

As much as I love Quitely's art, there are moments when characters look a bit haggard. We get some great detail and then some characters just look really strung out when that shouldn't necessarily be the case.

I am getting more into the story but I still would have liked to have seen more from the beginning of the first issue. What happened on that island? How did the originals actually get their powers? There's always a chance we will find out in a flashback but there just seemed to be such a grand sense of old-timey storytelling we could have had before delving into the imperfect nature of this modern time.

The Verdict

If you had any doubts about this series after reading e first issue, this one should put your mind at ease. Mark Millar has created a cast of super-powered characters and they are far from perfect. Seeing failed attempts and problems that could arise from a superhero/celebrity lifestyle is intriguing. This gives the series a feeling that separates it from the average superhero comic. Frank Quitely's art is great to see. It's always amazing to see the detail he puts in as well as how he lays out a scene. There's still some question as to where Millar will take the story but that's also part of the fun - watching the story unfold. Millar and Quitely have created an interesting world and each issue is a fascinating trip.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

1st issue was alright. I hope it gets better.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The question I have is, is Millar here in Kick-Ass 2, Nemesis, Wanted mode (a bit mean spirited and going for a lot of shock value), or is it Superior, Superman Red Son mode (a bit more towards traditional superhero storytelling?), because I really don't need the first one.

Also cool would be when he writes in his Civil War, Ultimates style, since that was more or less a mix of both, wich was great. I just don't really want the gang rape, über gore Millar. He gives me headaches.

I mean, Quitely is one of my favorite artist of all time, so I have to check it out anyway, but it would be nice to know beforehand.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First issue was so bad looking. Story was meh. I'm very hesitant to give this issue a try.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I'm certainly liking this series, but I can't help but wish there was a little more to it. While we've never seen the superhero deconstruction done with this particular group of great and interesting characters before, we have seen the idea done often at this point. I too was hoping and expecting more flashbacks to the island this issue. All that being said; there are still a bunch of issues to go, and who knows what those hold in store for us.

The question I have is, is Millar here in Kick-Ass 2, Nemesis, Wanted mode (a bit mean spirited and going for a lot of shock value), or is it Superior, Superman Red Son mode (a bit more towards traditional superhero storytelling?), because I really don't need the first one.

Also cool would be when he writes in his Civil War, Ultimates style, since that was more or less a mix of both, wich was great. I just don't really want the gang rape, über gore Millar. He gives me headaches.

I mean, Quitely is one of my favorite artist of all time, so I have to check it out anyway, but it would be nice to know beforehand.

I think it would definitely fall into that in-between area that Ultimates lies in. There is certainly the graphic gore, nudity, swearing, and aberrant behavior Millar's comics have become so known for, but it is not done in nearly the over-the-top or indulgent way of works like Wanted or Kick-Ass. Seeing as this is one of the few remaining 2.99 books on shelves, I don't think you could go wrong picking up the first issue to see if it's something you are interested in or not.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nappystr8: Thanks for the reply, that eases my fear a lot! I am a trade waiter, so for me its a different problem than for all you single issue guys. I wait until the series is over and how the feedback is then. In the end, I will buy it anyway, for Quitelys art alone. I LOVE that Dude! Met him in London two years back at Kapow! Comic Con and he is a super nice guy! He even talked to me for a while after the DC panel.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I like the series so far. As to the specific family dynamic problems it seems that the Sheldon and Grace are not only overachieving overbearing tiger parents but on top of that they are the worlds greatest heroes and want their children to follow in their foot steps but don't seem to offer any encouragement only criticism. Also Walter, Sheldon's brother has been taking crap from his brother for decades and is looking to be very tired of it. Looking forward to seeing a massive family drama play out with super powers.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lorex said:

I like the series so far. As to the specific family dynamic problems it seems that the Sheldon and Grace are not only overachieving overbearing tiger parents but on top of that they are the worlds greatest heroes and want their children to follow in their foot steps but don't seem to offer any encouragement only criticism. Also Walter, Sheldon's brother has been taking crap from his brother for decades and is looking to be very tired of it. Looking forward to seeing a massive family drama play out with super powers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.