Follow

Jubilee

Character » Jubilee appears in 3018 issues.

Jubilee is a long-time member of the X-Men and founding member of Generation X. She previously lost her mutant powers on M-Day, and then was turned into a vampire. Most recently, she re-gained her pyrotechnic abilities and was turned back into a mutant .

Did Jubilee get her powers back?

• 64 results
    Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Sharkbite

The idea of Vampire Jubilee being poorly written spawns not from her being a Vampire, or even being not-mutant, but rather from her behaving not-Jubilee. It was happening ever since her depowering, but the vampire change really cast it to the forefront and drew attention to the personality change. Jubilee was a spunky, upbeat, positive teen hero through all sorts of terrible trials. Look at how her early appearances went, saving Wolverine from his crucifiction at the hands of the Mauraders who were murdering mutants in the most terrible, violent manner. And how does she respond to witnessing these horrible, traumatic experiences? Totally a glass-half-full girl.

Over the years, Jubilee has been beaten back, demoted, watched friends die, and still she managed to keep that positivity. That was a vital part of her character. The fact that she was the light-hearted kid at heart was what allowed her to balance out the grim cynicism of Wolverine. Now this is girl who can watch some of her closest friends be murdered right in front of her and still bounce back to make the most out of life, and we're expected to believe now that she is so self-absorbed that being depowered spiralled her into this deep, dark depression, and becoming a vampire turned her into this grim and brooding creature. This isn't just character development or natural progression; the mangling of her personality has been forced, feels entirely unnatural, and as a result it is not at all being well-recieved.

Vampire Jubilee is generally disliked for not being like Jubilee, not for being a Vampire.

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By TheDude123

Off topic: I am not really a Storm fanatic, I think she is one of many cool characters in the Marvel universe with a cool powerset and she is fine as he@@ but that's it. That stated i think the mohawk makes her look Hot and fist her costume, and I am glad that they are drawing her as attractive again. Some artist were drawing her as kind of homely for some reason,

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#53  Edited By papad1992

@Vance Astro said:

@papad1992 said:

Then what gives u a current stand in this argument!? If u haven't read the books how could u know the outcome of a character!?

I've read Wolverine & Jubilee, the issue of X-23 that she appeared in, and Curse of the Mutants so i've seen how she's been written as a vampire. Just because i'm not reading whatever book she's appearing in right now doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, she's been a Vampire for like 2 years now. This has more to do with the idea of a character being a vampire than it does Jubilee as a character. You're saying she's been poorly written BECAUSE she's a vampire but Marvel has other characters who are Vampires, that aren't poorly written so how does that make sense? If you're referring specifically to my statement about her being "poorly written", as far as i've read she hasn't been written well and obviously the writing hasn't gotten any better since you're suggesting that the idea of her even being a vampire is inherently a bad idea. It's the writers job to change your mind. There are alot of bad ideas Marvel has come up with that to many readers turned out to be handled well through writing.

I was merely explaining my dislike of the character ever since she has become a vampire! U said it yourself... She hasn't been written well enough for me to have interest in her transformation! I guess if the right writer grabs ahold of her a treats her character and personality correctly, then maybe I'd have interest in her! She hasn't been "Jubilee-like" since she was depowered, and it's high time she gets back to her iconic and likable personality! Like I'm waiting for that new series "X-Men" I think it's called, with the team only composed of women, I wanting to see how the creative team treats her!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @papad1992 said:

I was merely explaining my dislike of the character ever since she has become a vampire! U said it yourself... She hasn't been written well enough for me to have interest in her transformation! I guess if the right writer grabs ahold of her a treats her character and personality correctly, then maybe I'd have interest in her! She hasn't been "Jubilee-like" since she was depowered, and it's high time she gets back to her iconic and likable personality! Like I'm waiting for that new series "X-Men" I think it's called, with the team only composed of women, I wanting to see how the creative team treats her!

She seemed fairly "Jubilee-like" as Wondra in New Warriors.
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#55  Edited By papad1992

@Vance Astro said:

@papad1992 said:

She seemed fairly "Jubilee-like" as Wondra in New Warriors.

U liked her as Wondra in New Warriors?...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#56  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @papad1992 said:

U liked her as Wondra in New Warriors?...

What little I saw of her, yea.
    DjBest02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57  Edited By DjBest02

I really hope she gets them back. I don't know I've always liked Jubilee but some writers don't do her much justice

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
    Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@SUNMAN said:

Just retcon her into never being a vampire and retcon that arc out of existence, along with a few other X-men arcs

This, this, a MILLION TIMES THIS! Making her a vampire was the dumbest decision Marvel made in a long time.

Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Celineness

@fesak said:

@papad1992 said:

@fesak said:

Being a vampire is the only think that makes her interesting.

Uh no, quite the opposite!

So, teenager with attitude is awesome character design in your book? And her powers were pretty useless too.

So a forum Moderator can troll fans of a particular character with glib comments, on that character's forum, and nothing happens now?

A teenager with attitude, when dropped into a fictional world filled with cliche two-dimensional characters who take themselves way too seriously and have no sense of self-deprecation or observational humour is FANTASTIC character design. Jubes spent a decade being the kid who pointed out the emperor had no clothes and became the perfect foil for Wolverine (as a ripoff of The Dark Knight Returns Batman/Robin dynamic). Whilst everyone else in the Marvel universe just accepted "the rules" of the heroes and villains around them, Jubilee was always the one to ask the reader's obvious questions, like "how the heck can you even fly with wings that small?", "if you need a special mask to breath on this planet why the heck are you bothering to conquer it?" or "you haven an IQ of four million but you shout 'how is this possible?!' when we escape from your useless prison? Work it out, genius." She became the PoV character for many fans, her firework powers being suitably ineffectual (since the reader doesn't have powers either) but hinting at just enough awesome potential to make them fascinating to follow the development of.

So yes, being a vampire is at best a novel change to drive her characterisation, and at worst a pointless distraction that muddles how writers use her. It's the least interesting thing about her.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By GREGalicious

Unfortunately, I dont think so although since the end of AVENGERS Vs X-MEN drove away the Phoenix Force (temporarily im sure) and brought back mutant powers, this opens the door for hers to return eventually. Im sure one good writer will make it happen down the line. ALL that ridiculous vampire stuff felt shoehorned into the comic, was LAME, in no way made her any more interesting, and completely wastes all the potential her explosive powers had.

She was very powerful with her original powers but now just seems like just another vampire. At least being a explosive-energy generating vampire would be unique...

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Jubilee's currently stronger than she ever was, also under the pen of Brian Wood, somebody who wrote her in Gen-X and actually LIKES writing her, he also said he'd be playing with her powers--i can't wait to see what he's got in store, considering what we've seen, she's stronger than most.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jubilee's currently stronger than she ever was, also under the pen of Brian Wood, somebody who wrote her in Gen-X and actually LIKES writing her, he also said he'd be playing with her powers--i can't wait to see what he's got in store, considering what we've seen, she's stronger than most.

Wooo an optimist lol I'm going with this XD

I only read jubilee as a vamp in X-23's series and didn't hate it so I'm fine with her right now. The vamp thing never really lasts so people should just accept for the time being. I also agree with many where being a depowered mutant turned vamp kept her around. If it wasn't for the vamp craze around the time of the twilight movies Jubilee would've ended up a horseman of apocalypse or something. Being a horseman was really the main way they like to repower mutants lol

KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane said:

Wooo an optimist lol I'm going with this XD

I only read jubilee as a vamp in X-23's series and didn't hate it so I'm fine with her right now. The vamp thing never really lasts so people should just accept for the time being. I also agree with many where being a depowered mutant turned vamp kept her around. If it wasn't for the vamp craze around the time of the twilight movies Jubilee would've ended up a horseman of apocalypse or something. Being a horseman was really the main way they like to repower mutants lol

All of this.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By kid Apollo

i love how people are trying to call on her feats during her powered and vampire periods. how can you compare over 20 years of being featured front and center among the X-men, to her being a vampire for what? 2 years? not to mention the fact that her mutant feats are on the other end of the spectrum then her vampire feats. one is showy, lights, explosions, fireworks, 90s pop b.s.. the other is a more subtle, up close and personal, darker style. you guys shouldnt compare the two until theyve had the same amount of shelf life. its like comparing Jean Grey on her first day at the institute to the White Phoenix.

if you look at all the big name depowered mutants: Magneto, Quicksilver, Polaris, Chamber, Rictor, etc. they all got their powers back in ways that very few people are complaining about. especially Chamber, that was a cop-out pile of shite. Jubilee got powers too, but they werent her old school ones. i hate to say it (and i know ppl arent gona like this) but she didnt do anything as a vamp, or a new warrior, and barely did anything in the 5 yrs before she got depowered. you guys call it lazy writing? i call it throwing her a bone, giving her a reason to appear in books again

i look forward to whatever direction she goes in. whether powered or not im hoping she'll have some of the flair she had as an X-man and a gen X-er

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.