Follow

Jonah Hex

Character » Jonah Hex appears in 522 issues.

A Civil War veteran turned bounty hunter, Jonah Hex's disfigured face and boorish personality don't win him many friends, but his code of honor and expert marksmanship skills means he's always willing to fight for and protect the innocent and dispense lethal justice.

Josh Brolin as Jonah Hex in the upcoming film?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

Following up on Oliver Stone’s W, the smart money is on Josh Brolin keeping the cowboy boots on, this time, to play Jonah Hex. Both Varietyand The Hollywood Reporter are reporting that Brolin is “in talks” to play the Western bounty hunter in a film version written by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. The duo, who also wrote and directed Crank will direct the film.

The character currently appears in his own monthly series written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, with art by a variety of rotating (and acclaimed) artists such as Darwyn Cooke, Jordi Bernet, Tony DeZuniga, and Phil Noto , to name a few.

We contacted Palmiotti for his reaction to the news.

“Well, if it wasn’t enough that we got Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor writing and directing, I can’t think of a better candidate than Josh Brolin playing Jonah Hex,” the writer said. “Josh has the right deadly look in his eye and has already proven dozens of times again and again to be one of the most talented actors out there. This news has got Justin and I very excited on a number of levels. If this is true, this is just plain awesome.”

The film version of Jonah Hex will be produced by Andrew Lazar’s Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road. Lazar was, at one time, attached to a film version of Palmiotti and Joe Quesada’s Ash.

The film version of Hex is reportedly schedule to reach theaters in 2010.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nighthunter
    "W." star Josh Brolin is in talks to star in "Jonah Hex," Warner Bros.’ adaptation of the DC Comics property.

"Crank" writer-directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor wrote the script and will direct.

On Wednesday, both WB and Brolin’s reps denied that a deal was close, but sources said he’s likely to take the job.

Hex, whose face is partly disfigured, is a gunslinger and bounty hunter. The series was hatched by DC in the early 1970s.

The film is being produced by Andrew Lazar’s Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road. Lazar’s in production on a "Cats & Dogs" sequel for the studio, and Goldsman, who last produced "Hancock," is developing several films for WB including a prequel to "I Am Legend" that D.B. Weiss is scripting, with Goldsman producing with James Lassiter.

Brolin follows the Oliver Stone-directed "W." with "Milk," the Gus Van Sant-directed drama that casts Brolin as Dan White, the San Francisco pol who gunned down Harvey Milk and George Moscone.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3

Sounds good to me.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nighthunter
    November 21, 2008 - Hot on the heels of directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor's departure from Jonah Hex, star Josh Brolin has given their script for the DC Comics adaptation one hell of a backhanded compliment.

"When I first read it I thought, 'Oh, my God. It's awful!'" Brolin informed MTV. "And then I had a moment a week later and I thought, 'Why is it awful?' Maybe the thing to do is to do the most awful movie I can find."

Brolin particularly enjoyed "the absurdity of it," and gradually warmed to the project after thinking about what other talent (in front of and behind the camera) could become involved with it. He told MTV, "In the last couple months I've been going back and forth about it. I went back to my gut. Is it a sell out? What is it I like about this movie? … It's so tongue in cheek. It's so ridiculous."

The comic book adventures of Jonah Hex were infused with supernatural elements. He is a former Confederate officer whose face was horrifically scarred. Hex was introduced in the 1970s, and has had a few comic book series since then.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By King_Saturn
    That Sounds Pretty Cool
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nighthunter
    December 2, 2008 - Director Lexi Alexander revealed today while doing press for her new film Punisher: War Zone that she's now being offered several different comic book films as her next project, specifically naming Warner Bros.' Jonah Hex as one of them.

Later, during our exclusive one-on-one with her, Alexander went into further detail about Jonah Hex. By her own admission, she is only one of several filmmakers under consideration to helm the DC Comics adaptation now that Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor have parted ways with the project.

She's currently reading the script that Neveldine and Taylor wrote, and is most intrigued by the prospect of possibly working with Josh Brolin, who is attached to play the gunslinging title character. Praising his work in W. and No Country for Old Men, Alexander she would definitely direct Jonah Hex should Brolin fully commit to the picture. She said that she wasn't keen on doing another comic book movie until the chance to possibly work with Brolin on Hex presented itself.

Be sure to check back later for Alexander's exact quotes about Jonah Hex.

The comic book adventures of Jonah Hex were infused with supernatural elements. He is a former Confederate officer whose face was horrifically scarred. Hex was introduced in the 1970s, and has had a few comic book series since then.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NightFang3
    WoW!
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nighthunter

The film version of DC Comics’ Jonah Hex has a director – again.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Jimmy Hayward, director of the animated version of Horton Hears a Who! will make his live-action debut with the scarred bounty hunter. Previously, Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank) – who had also written the script - were attached to direct the film, but pulled out in November over reported differences with the Warner Bros.

Warner Bros. is looking to start production on the movie by March or April, with Josh Brolin starring in the title role. Neveldine and Taylor’s script – which features supernatural elements along with Jonah Hex’s traditional Western setting.

Previous to Horton, Hayward has worked as an animator on ReBoot, and at Pixar, where he worked on Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo, as well as Fox’s Robots.

Andrew Lazar's Mad Chance and Akiva Goldsman's Weed Road are producing the film.

The current series, written since its 2005 launch by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, reaches issue #39 this week. Since its debut Jonah Hex has told single-issue stories, a rarity in modern comics from a major publisher. The character was created in 1972 by writer John Albano and artist Tony DeZuniga.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NightFang3

I just can't wait to see this movie.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
    Let The Good Times Roll
    Avatar image for nighthunter_earth_1974
    Nighthunter Earth-1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confident, the director already directed Woddy, why not Jonah Hex? ;p

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By King_Saturn
    Nighthunter Earth-1974 said:
    "I'm confident, the director already directed Woddy, why not Jonah Hex? ;p"
    Truth Indeed

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.