Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4234 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

So called Killing Joke rape

neale7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can someone tell me where the idea came from that The Joker raped Barbra Gordon in The Killing Joke?

It seems like every news site that talks about The Killing Joke just brings up that he raped her. I don't think they have even read the story. I mean even some fans are adamant that he did. I swear this has only circulated in the past 10years, and its now somehow become a truth. Even Rafael Albuquerque asked DC Comics to pull his cover as he recieved backlash from feminist groups. He even apologised.

I wrote this in previous article when the trailer for the film came out:

"I'm also sick of reading on other news sites that this is the story where Joker raped Barbra Gordon. It isn't even implied, not even a tiny bit. Someone somewhere came up with it, then loads of people jumped on the band wagon. Just because Joker undresses her doesn't mean he rapes her. He's stripping her down to nothing, showing her bare as she is at her weakest. Almost degrading her. Just being stripped down can be enough of a violation of someone. Imagine being shot, lying there helpless, undressed and then having pictures taken of you. It doesn't take a rape to then make you feel violated."

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

He sexually abused and assaulted her.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'd really think Joker wouldn't rape someone to mess with their Mind?

neale7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

neale7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior: I'm not asking what he would do. I'm saying he didn't as its not even implied.

My original question is where the idea came from, as its only in the past 10years that i've seen it said that he did.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@neale7: Just thought I'd say I agree with you before the opposition start bombarding the thread. Too late. :p

neale7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By neale7
    Clark_Graywall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joker's not someone who should be sexualized, really.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.