Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4240 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Off My Mind: Why it’s Time for the Joker to Return

• 151 results
    Avatar image for rowdyfromscrubs
    RowdyFromScrubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd bet he stays gone until a really big event that involves the release of Batman #50

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@drfate said:

@j_hickmanisgod: i actually love Snyder/Capullo run on the Batman. I think it's one of the best creative Teams on batman EVER. Their Joker was great

thank you!!! damn!

i like it a lot too. i think Snyder is doing a great job! although i may have a bit of a biase since it is the first series i started reading technically.

i only got into comics in December 2012, so a solid year into the new 52 universe, and therefore the only Batman i know is Snyder/Capullo's Batman, which i love.

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaddum96: ah I see, I can't seem to find it, care to link it?

chaddum96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leafx:

http://www.darkknightnews.com/2014/08/greg-capullo-tweets-batman-endgame-teaser/

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

@j_hickmanisgod: the only Batman you know is New52 or is it the only Batman you've read?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he returns, have him pop up in someone else's book. Make him the focus of a Green Arrow arc or something and use that as an excuse to bring in a Bat-Family character in order to deal with him. Use that as build up until he makes another solid return in a Batman book.

Joker in all about Batman. He wouldnt go after another hero unless it was to affect Batman. Joker would need to go after Batman ripoffs (Green Arrow could fall in to this category but would likely go after more obvious ripoffs), the Justice League (he could do a rehash of Justice League: Doom), or go after Selina Kyle.

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaddum96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@nightfang:

not what I said, I said its out of character for Batman. I was agreeing with the general sentiment that Batman can;t kill, he isn't superman who clearly can. while Superman continues to kill people decade after decade in droves, I can only think of two Batman kills since the 40s, one in the 80s which as I stated is out of character and maybe out of canon, and one in 2007.

Batman can't kill, its against his nature. by vow. unlike superman

t_hench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@madeinbangladesh said:

I say wait another 1 or 2 years.

Agreed.

I'm okay with him being gone for a while (let it be 3-4 years even). If anyone is missing him just go pickup an old story, there's a lot to choose from.

Honestly, I would rather see other villains get the limelight right now and be fleshed out. Plus, the longer we wait, the greater the anticipation and the more epic it will be when he does return. And let it be a long drawn out return ;)

Just my lil' ole' opinion.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate: yeah essentially the only Batman i know, is, Snyder/Capullo's run, because i got into comics a year after the reboot and with all the titles coming out now from both DC/Marvel, i havent had any time to back track and read some pre-new52-reboot material. Aside from The Long Halloween,Hush and The Dark Victory, i havent really read any other older Batman stories or arcs.

Since December 2012 when i started ive been following/pulling all the Batman titles pretty much. Batman, Detective Comics, Batman n Robin, Batman Inc., and Nightwing.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I STILL don't (and never will) forgive Snyder for Joker in Zero Year, but I do want Joker back, just not for a while. He's my favorite villain, but he's just been used to much.

I say we should let Joker sit out an other year or two and then come back randomly better. I'd like to see him appear in an other year or so killing an important character *cough* (alfred)*cough* (for good) *cough* The major death could cause a domino effect and turn into something really big.

For now, I want Black Mask. I would really really really really really really appreciate it if Synder fixed Black Mask and made him his Pre 52 self again. It doesn't make any sense to me to make BM just an other Mad Hatter. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off.

Anyways, let Joker sit out an other year, make him come back randomly and bigger than ever.

PotatoLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: I agree. Scarecrow has been incredibly underrated as of late.

kellinIIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill be keen to see him come back definitely a good idea to have him in something other than Batman but have it cross linked. I liked the idea of Green Arrow. Regardless the Clown Prince of Crime needs a good come back

Utkarsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Didn't Joker appear in a Villains Month issue and weren't the Villains Month issues supposed to have taken place during Forever Evil when the heroes were gone and didn't all this happen after DotF?

Utkarsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Utkarsh

@j_hickmanisgod: You seem to love Snyder's run as much as I do. Thing is, he's been writing Batman stories since some time before the reboot. Pick up The Black Mirror, the one Snyder story where he excelled even more than The Court of Owls. That was Snyder at his best. He also did a miniseries Gates of Gotham, which isn't as good as any of Snyder's other Batman stories, but is a good read for his fans.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

@ekrolo: Death of the Family meant all the sidekicks cutting ties.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that there is about a 0% chance that the Joker actually is dead. And that is because many people consider him the essential Batman villain. I find that unfortunate and wish he really is dead. Because he is one of those characters I don't like, at all. And the reason for that is mentioned a lot in this article. Oversaturation. Because of the fact that many see him as the essential Batman villain, he is used more often than any of the others. Maybe not in the comics themselves, but when you factor in all types of other media. I think it would be a great idea if they got rid of the Joker. But unfortunately, there is like 0% of that actually happening because somewhere down the line, some writer is going to bring him back. Can they at least kill him off and wait twenty years for someone to resurrect him? This would give Harley a chance to grow out of being the pathetic character she always has been. I certainly don't want to keep seeing the Joker turn up every third arc.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@j_hickmanisgod: oh, man, there's so many great Batman stories...

"The Dark Knight Returns" being my fav one ( of course ).

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@utkarsh: i will check that out! yeah The Black Mirror trade has been on my 'need to buy' list for quite sometime but i havent got around to spending money on it, so many titles to buy right now haha
    i guess thats what i get for getting into the comic mix late in the game

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

I'd rather see a good scarecrow story.

This

@rustyroy said:

He was in DotF and I think Snyder said he's going to be back for Endgame, that's only one arc later, I would prefer if he's not coming back for a few more arcs.

And this

@captainmarvel4ever said:

If he does return, I hope DC takes him in a different direction. The DCAU Joker was PERFECT, he was fun, but he was still menacing and you could still hate him for the things he had done. The current Joker barely a character.

And also this

@amazingwebhead said:

If he does return, I hope DC takes him in a different direction. The DCAU Joker was PERFECT, he he was fun, but he was still menacing and you could still hate him for the things he had done. The current Joker barely a character.

This. Totally this.

The problem with the New 52 is that it takes "darker and edgier" to the extreme. But what happens when they do that to the guy who was dark and edgy enough as it is? We need Joker back because he's one of DC's greatest villains when written well. Every bit as brilliant and cunning as Batman, and a total badass, yet still funny! Too many people forget that no matter how menacing or how terrifying the Joker is, he still has to be funny! Observe:

Loading Video...

And that was Nolan's "make you crap yourself" Joker.

Now, here's my idea: they've done lots of stories on how Joker would be lost without Batman. Why not bring him back with a story about Batman realizing that he needs Joker? (As a reminder of what he could become if he loses control)

And don't forget this.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By amazing_webhead

Well, first you say you'd rather see a Scarecrow story, then you go on to bring up other Joker-supporting points. I'm a little confused about your main point is all.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: Joker is my all time favourite villain, I just want to see a good Scarecrow story FIRST because resurrecting Joker at this point is a bit too early IMO, plus we have already seen tons of good Joker stories, lets give Scarecrow a chance THEN make another good Joker story.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightsofdarkness2 said:

@amazingwebhead: Joker is my all time favourite villain, I just want to see a good Scarecrow story FIRST because resurrecting Joker at this point is a bit too early IMO, plus we have already seen tons of good Joker stories, lets give Scarecrow a chance THEN make another good Joker story.

Ah. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: Oh, okay. Sorry for misinterpreting your comment as sarcastic.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatBro15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ekrolo: I agree that Death of the Family should have had bigger consequences. I would have been happy if that was when Damian died

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#134  Edited By Zeeguy91

If he does return, I hope DC takes him in a different direction. The DCAU Joker was PERFECT, he was fun, but he was still menacing and you could still hate him for the things he had done. The current Joker barely a character.

The DCAU Joker was fitting for a kids' cartoon, but not for much else. I'd take the psychotic killer, who views chaos and the death and suffering of others in comedic light, from the Dark Knight, Killing Joke, Death in the Family, and Death of the Family over the "crazy but still funny" clown that was featured in the DCAU.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I STILL don't (and never will) forgive Snyder for Joker in Zero Year, but I do want Joker back, just not for a while. He's my favorite villain, but he's just been used to much.

Just curious, but for what? I heard people were upset that Snyder had given Joker a definitive identity before becoming Joker (the identity of the Red Hood leader). However, if those people had actually paid attention to the back-ups in Batman, they'd know that the real Red Hood leader was found dead, stuffed in an oil drum after what went down at the A.C.E. Chemical factory. Therefore, it can be concluded that we still don't know the real identity of the Joker.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

The DCAU Joker was fitting for a kids' cartoon, but not for much else. I'd take the psychotic killer, who views chaos and the death and suffering of others in comedic light, from the Dark Knight, Killing Joke, Death in the Family, and Death of the Family over the "crazy but still funny" clown that was featured in the DCAU.

Did you not see Return of the Joker?

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

Did you not see Return of the Joker?

Yeah. I did. The most gruesome thing there was what was done to the Joker.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Exactly, you can have Joker still be a character, and still be a menace, we don't have to choose.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@thecomedian_ said:

Just curious, but for what? I heard people were upset that Snyder had given Joker a definitive identity before becoming Joker (the identity of the Red Hood leader). However, if those people had actually paid attention to the back-ups in Batman, they'd know that the real Red Hood leader was found dead, stuffed in an oil drum after what went down at the A.C.E. Chemical factory. Therefore, it can be concluded that we still don't know the real identity of the Joker.

Exactly that. Giving him a concrete origin.

Are you telling me that the Red Hood leader wasn't the Joker? They gave pretty solid evidence that is was. For example, Red Hood #25. I'm pretty sure he just put an other member of the gang in the oil drum. Joker is totally smart enough to do that. He was Red Hood One. They have pretty much told us.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artyom

What do you think about Joker and his inevitable return?

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just re-read it. The guy that held the meeting in Red Hood and the Outlaws #25 was trying to revive the gang, but it was...as I said earlier...that Joker was the leader as he knew everything about the gang and was interested in wiping it out (Red Hood 1, 3, and 4). Then he caught Jason with a Red Hood mask and was trying to kill him, again with intentions of trying to wipe out the entire Red Hood Gang. Anyways, I don't want to see Joker for another year or two either. I would much rather see Scarecrow or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dc80e5fe9494
    deactivated-5dc80e5fe9494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The joker should stay dead, otherwise just another dead then brought back to life character. Such a screw you to the buyers of the comics

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

one of the worst thing readers can see happen to a character is overuse.

Does this count for heroes too? Because I gotta tell ya, I am tired of all of this Bat-exposure. He has like 97 books, monthly or otherwise, and a few more on the way. And it feels like everything happens in Gotham. I feel like DC should just pull the trigger and call Earth Prime, or whatever its name is, Gotham. The entire planet is now Gotham. Everything is Gotham!!!!!

In our next issue of Superman: Gotham, Superman learns that he isn't actually from the planet Krypton, he's from the planet.......Gotham. Costarring Lois Lane of the Gotham Planet, Jimmy Gotham photographer for the Gotham Gotham, and Gotham the Gotham Dog. IT'S OUT OF HAND!

Ninja87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When he returns, I can imagine him looking a little like the Heath Ledger version (or the one from the Joker graphic novel) but worse. I see him getting a skin graft of an actual clown's face, and the fact that he's always smiling has broken the skin at the corners of the lips, making them cracked and scabbed. He'd be out for complete chaos after trying to establish a sense of "order" to he and batman's relationship. Joker's daughter would be taken in by him and actually considered a protégé, which wouldn't sit well with Harley.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By End_Boss

@_atomikill_: They already did this with Joker's Daughter. It didn't go well.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By scavengerFist

I remember Joker being in Future's End #012...

I'm still alive, Batfans.
    I'm still alive, Batfans.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Well if you keep having the Joker appear, it A) lessens any impact he might have, and B) makes Batman look like a big incompetent boob. Oh wait, that one's way too late.

All I would like is for them to change his stupid face back. The current one looks so frikkin' dumb

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.