How smart is the Joker?

#1 Posted by Kramotz (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

This seems like a confusing topic to me. Some people view him as an insane criminal with average intelligence; some think of him as a demented man with slightly above average intelligence; some say he's super sane and his a genius?

How smart is the Joker, really? Where does his true intelligence rank when compared to other comic book characters? Is it possible that he is a super genius (like Lex, Reed, Tony, etc.) who's extremely high intelligence resulted in his madness?

Joker intelligence feats and scans are welcomed. :)

#2 Edited by comicace3 (12434 posts) - - Show Bio

He seems to be knowledgeable on chemistry and psychology. He's slightly above average to genius level. He certainly isn't anywhere near anyone as smart as tony or reed.

#3 Posted by EyeDCyou (7512 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he is a genius. Yeah he doesn't have the "book smarts" or say Tony or reed. But you have to be smart to think up the stuff he does. The schemes, the jokes, the traps. Not to mention his ability to manipulate and trick.

#4 Posted by Kramotz (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, wouldn't someone presumably super sane like the Joker have a habit of hiding their true intelligence?

#5 Edited by MRhairE (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@eyedcyou: it is such a hard question to gauge. In arkham Asylum: a serious house on serious earth he is said to have what is believed to be super sanity, with his ego and personality constantly changing to fit his mood or whatever the day throws at him... so sometimes he can be a mastermind who can ever out maneuver batman... yet somedays he will slip on a banana peal...

No Caption Provided

sometimes he is mastermind and sometimes he is just a clown there is no way of telling how smart he actually is.

#6 Edited by jayc1324 (26431 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say average intelligence. Everything he does is written by guys of average intelligence as far as I know. He's just very creative and great at planning and thinking on his feet.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
#7 Posted by GreatCaesarsGhost (3952 posts) - - Show Bio

His insanity gives him a certain clarity. I wouldn't call him super intelligent, but he sees things in a completely different manner than us, allowing him to do things we perceive as genius, but he can simply do effortlessly.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
#8 Posted by SymbioticSpider-Man (3595 posts) - - Show Bio

Genius level intelligence probably.

#9 Posted by DianaXKal (520 posts) - - Show Bio

Smart enough to know that he can get away with whatever he wants without being killed.

#10 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

Takes some smarts to create your own venom.

#11 Edited by RisingBean (9803 posts) - - Show Bio

He's definitely a genius when it comes to social engineering.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
#12 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

@eyedcyou said:

I think he is a genius. Yeah he doesn't have the "book smarts" or say Tony or reed. But you have to be smart to think up the stuff he does. The schemes, the jokes, the traps. Not to mention his ability to manipulate and trick.

Smart, or completely insane...

#13 Posted by Cave_Duck (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Takes some smarts to create your own venom.

also all the traps and hurdles he placed in the way of the Bat Family in "Death of the Family" recently. You'd need some serious planning skills at the bare minimum to set that up.

Assuming he doesn't "subcontract out" the construction of his traps, venom, etc. he'd have to be pretty damn smart.

But he's still a complete psychopath.

#14 Edited by JasonHawke (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

He's.... insanely clever!

huehuehuehue

#15 Posted by dngn4774 (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

Smart enough to f*ck with batman on a regular basis, and dumb enough to f*ck with batman on a regular basis.

#16 Posted by Kramotz (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread was somewhat inspired by a post on a website I saw a while back that claimed that the Joker's true origins were that off a super genius (hence his super sanity) on par with people like Reed, Tony, Banner, etc. who became bored being so vastly smarter than the people around him, which is why he used madness as an "emergency exit". The post also claimed that the Joker was so delighted to meet the Batman because he had finally found someone who could compete with him on an intellectual level.

How plausible is that?

#17 Posted by Kramotz (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMP

#18 Posted by EJHlii (3 posts) - - Show Bio

He's probably a genius but not the type of genius that Reed is. More like good psychological warfare

That's not what makes him so dangerous though, it's his unpredictability

#19 Posted by Rev_Sulphur (2027 posts) - - Show Bio

He is genius level he is skilled in the fields of chemistry and engineering, as well an expert with explosives has at times even acknowledged he is a comic character. Most people ignore this, due to the fact that he is criminally insane. He is capable of hijacking broadcasts - usually news programs - of both the television and radio varieties. He has great tactical skills as well.

#20 Posted by RealityWarper (12333 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess his intelligence is mitigated by his mental issues.
Variable then.

#21 Posted by jwalser3 (6127 posts) - - Show Bio

He's so smart he's crazy, and he's so crazy he's smart.

#22 Posted by Mrnoital (8095 posts) - - Show Bio

smart and insane, he's a great tactical thinker, and chemist

and once the spectre couldn't turn his vengeance on joker, since batman(and others) convinced him it wasn't really jokers fault and he's just insane

#23 Edited by RunawayAvenger (710 posts) - - Show Bio

His intelligence is the level of a genius, he has a high level knowledge of chemistry and gadgets, his tactical analysis is clearly also something to look at. I would say he is definitely a genius but one that doesn't show it regularly, simply because its not the type of person he is...

Avatar image for deactivated-57cb543b8e7f4
#24 Posted by deactivated-57cb543b8e7f4 (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Very smart. And not to brag, but it's hereditary.

#25 Posted by ShaoKahn (812 posts) - - Show Bio

Smarter than 5th dimensional imp mxy

#26 Posted by Kramotz (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidd_punn: Not completely, no, and what does that have to do with anything? We don't even know his real backstory.

#27 Posted by Knightfall225 (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

Very high intelligence . Enough to bug Batman

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#28 Posted by amazing_webhead (9875 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz: he's saying that he's also smart, because he's Joker's son

#30 Posted by Autopsad (157 posts) - - Show Bio

He is much smarter than average and possibly smarter than Batman.. (sure batman beats him but i can beat on people smarter than me too). if you think about it Batmans a great tactician but his gadgets and tech are made for him while joker dose much of it himself and with knowledge in Chemistry, Biological weapons, Explosives, Acid and able to improvise in other fields in essence he is the perfect terrorist...

True.
In my opinion, he's kinda the ultimate terrorist because he wants to destroy every belief that anybody have and has no limits, not even self-preservation.

#31 Posted by Joker5594 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel as though that Joker is much smarter then the average person. Joker has shown that he was incredibly smart before even becoming the Joker. We see this in Under The Redhood. He sees the world in such a different way that we can only classify him as a genius. Being in the chemical acid not only damaged him face but caused him to forget who he even was. This and other things could of easily drove him to insanity. So I think its a safe bet to say he has an IQ well above 140.

#32 Posted by TheAwesome1 (268 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly think he's super smart. Not as smart as Reed or Tony, but the fact that he can outwit batman and formulate great plans just makes me realize how much people underestimate him

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73a0365070
#33 Posted by deactivated-57e73a0365070 (347 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a genius.

But always a step behind Batman!

#34 Posted by Abishai100 (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

Double Jeopardy: Insert Philosophy

The origins of the Joker always interest comic book fans, since his special attitude towards the 'buoyancy of crime' (the unpredictability of human temptation) is perhaps what makes him eerily smile. Batman fights crime to soothe his demons, but the Joker creates crime to tickle his own demons.

When you think of Joker, you think of anarchism (but not necessarily terrorism). This is why the Clown Prince of Crime can be thought of as the Mad Libs artist of Gotham, inserting puns and gags about policework troubles and driving Batman batty.

The Joker often gets quirky lines about criminality too --- i.e., "Harley, let's go to the policemen's ball and see if Bruce Wayne shows up with his titanic pocketbook!"

The Joker is like the evil Alex Trebek, and with Harley Quinn, it's all Double Jeopardy round.

Anarchy

Mad Libs

No Caption Provided

#35 Posted by Abishai100 (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

Metrics: Marginal Malady

We could look at this question backwards: how much does our paranoia about crime raise the Joker to the level of prophet?

After all, the Joker is a trickster/anarchist who believes that jurisprudence frailties warrant a sarcastic attitude towards cops.

How much do we sane people fear crime? How much do we trust the cops? How paranoid are we about urban crime and corruption? If our answers to such questions are, "We're not sure," then the Joker's absurdist attitude towards civics takes on 'sane' proportions.

This may be the best meter for Joker-IQ evaluation.

Maybe the Joker is a by-product of human arrogance.

Paranoia (Wikipedia)

No Caption Provided

#36 Edited by roninimer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I say he is super insane and genius

Avatar image for thegodamnbatman
#37 Edited by THEGODAMNBATMAN (1024 posts) - - Show Bio

He ingenious. He's so smart that it's probably why he's so crazy. His intellect rivals Batman's but he is too random to use his brains to their fullest potential. Sometimes he is the ultimate criminal mastermind, sometimes he just another bumbling Batman villain.

Avatar image for dailywheattoast
#38 Posted by dailywheattoast (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: so does that make reed and batman, hell omniscient beings have average Intelligence too

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.