shawn87's Joker #1 - HC/SC review

Avatar image for shawn87
  • shawn87 wrote this review on .
  • shawn87 has written a total of 597 reviews. The last one was for

Let The Insanity Begin

The Story:

The Joker has been released from Arkham Asylum and finds Gotham has changed in his absence. He intends to take control of "his" city once again. He's being tallied by unknown assailants (possibly cops) but that doesn't stop him from carrying out his mission. He reunites with Harley Quinn, joins forces with Killer Croc and has a face-off with Two-Face before finally running into Batman.

My Thoughts:

I don't think DC Comics could have picked a better writer to script this story than Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets). He's a comic writer with a knack for delivering well told stories with depth and cleverly constructed dialogue. What makes this comic so enjoyable is the dialogue. It's so witty and well told (as it should be). We get a look into the Joker's life which feels like a very accurate and realistic depiction of his character. Everyone knows the Joker is psychotic and that's why so many people enjoy reading his character because he takes the psycho to a whole other level. He's completely unpredictable which means you can do so many things with his character. I enjoyed reading this Joker story so much, I was glued to the comic until I finished it. Easily my new favorite all-time Joker story. In my opinion this comic is far superior to Alan Moore's famous The Killing Joke

The art couldn't have been any better. It was a perfect fit for this comic. It was drawn by Lee Bermejo who works with Brian Azzarello frequently. I have to also give credit to Patricia Mulvihill who colors Bermejo's pencils to perfection. I really liked the overall style this art was presented in. The way the Joker looked was just awesome. I don't know if I have ever seen him drawn better before.

All Batman and Joker fans should definitely read this. Long time fans can definitely appreciate this. It's worth every penny and a spot in your collection.

Rating: 4.5/5