Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1833 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

February 2015 Character of the Month: Green Lantern (John Stewart)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"In brightest day, in blackest night, no vote shall escape my sight. Let those who worship Black Panther's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"

Ladies and gentlemen, Green Lantern (John Stewart) is our new Character of the Month! For February's theme, we wanted to celebrate Black History Month and highlight one of DC or Marvel's more popular characters. Obviously there were many characters to choose from, but we didn't want to make the poll too crowded. Shortly after the poll went live, Black Panther took quite a lead and all of his competitors were eating his dust. Victory appeared to be certain for T'Challa. Then, John Stewart fans refused to give up hope and, thanks to some strong will power and spreading the word via social media, they were able to make John Stewart race past the brilliant hero from Marvel! Now, John Stewart has taken the victory and we're going to spend a month celebrating the ring-slinger!

No Caption Provided

Stewart's about to get a whole lot of love on the homepage. First, the dude will enter our Battle of the Week segment. There, we'll have him square off against a character he's never met before. Will he be able to defeat an opponent in a totally random encounter? That'll be up to you, the voters. It'll be tough to properly balance a Green Lantern, but we'll do our best. Be sure to check the homepage every Monday to see who he'll face! Secondly, we're going to highlight the character's history in comics. We'll praise some of his best covers, discuss one of his coolest action sequences, recommend some stories, and probably write an editorial or two about the dude. Seeing as many people grew to like the character because of the Justice League animated series, it's very possible we'll write something about the series as well. It's looking like we may even have some talent take some time to talk about the character! Last and absolutely not least, we encourage you -- yes, you -- to celebrate the character. His praise shouldn't be limited to our articles. This site has a huge forum, so no one is stopping you from creating your own John Stewart battles or writing about why you think the character is important. You can even create blogs or lists about the guy.

As stated above, John Stewart's fans really gave the hero a huge amount of support. At one point, he was trailing behind Black Panther just like everybody else, but then he quickly zipped ahead and held onto a comfortable lead. As the end of the poll came closer and closer, Stewart gained an even bigger lead over his competition and it was crystal clear that number one spot was his.

No Caption Provided

Why wait until February? Let's begin the John Stewart celebration right here, right now! Not only do we encourage you to say why you think the hero is awesome, but we also want you to share your favorite image of the him! Remember to check the homepage on Monday to see John Stewart's first Battle of the Week! Feel free to make opponent selections below.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

Stompa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Is this the third time in a row a DC character is character of the month? I remeber WW and then Aquaman? Am i wrong?

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

That's good.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Captain13

@k4tzm4n said:

Stewart's about to get a whole lot of love on the homepage. First, the dude will enter our Battle of the Week segment. There, we'll have him square off against a character he's never met before. Will he be able to defeat an opponent in a totally random encounter? That'll be up to you, the voters. It'll be tough to properly balance a Green Lantern, but we'll do our best. Be sure to check the homepage every Monday to see who he'll face! Secondly, we're going to highlight the character's history in comics. We'll praise some of his best covers, discuss one of his coolest action sequences, recommend some stories, and probably write an editorial or two about the dude. Seeing as many people grew to like the character because of the Justice League animated series, it's very possible we'll write something about the series as well. It's looking like we may even have some talent take some time to talk about the character! Last and absolutely not least, we encourage you -- yes, you -- to celebrate the character. His praise shouldn't be limited to our articles. This site has a huge forum, so no one is stopping you from creating your own John Stewart battles or writing about why you think the character is important. You can even create blogs or lists about the guy.

This month is going to rule so hard. :D

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@stompa said:

Is this the third time in a row a DC character is character of the month? I remeber WW and then Aquaman? Am i wrong?

I think it's the fourth. I believe it went Wonder Woman, Damian Wayne, Aquaman, and now Green Lantern.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I'm somewhat surprised. I figured Storm and Miles would do way better than John.

Stompa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Oh ok......then maybe it would be nice to take a character from another publisher for next month. I am personally not the biggest DC fan and it would be nice to read something about the history of another company. I guess other viner could feel the same way.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
    FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I love John.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YEEEEEEEESSSS!!!! Finally, John deserves a lot of love. He's a great character, and not to mention his actions. This made me very happy.

Screw you, Black Panther!

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Asgaard

DCvine

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this character. He needs more love<3

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pleasantly surprised by this! I thought Black Panther would win it for sure! Bring on GL.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Does a victory for one Green Lantern for Character of the Month mean none of the others get to be a contender for other months

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lame. Really wanted BP to win.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stompa: Dude this site since the hype of marvel movies and marvel now started have been mainly a marvel showcase so you cannot say they are dc lovers. Heck go and count the headlines and I bet the majority of them involves marvel. Matter of fact one of the reason I use to come to this site back when babs were still here was the fact they they use to talk about DC which made me happy because most of not all comic websites mainly talk about marvel but now every since marvel now started and the movies started getting a lot of hype they have caught marvel fever like every other site so that's the news we are getting is mainly marvel. Heck they have not even reviewed multiversity which is a pretty big book out.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@k4tzm4n said:

@stompa said:

I think it's the fourth. I believe it went Wonder Woman, Damian Wayne, Aquaman, and now Green Lantern.

5TH Ollie, WW, Damien, Arthur, and now John Stewart

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Wow Luke Cage has really gone done Hill/

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont mind seeing a high tier with the amount of mid and street we've had but personally john is really bland and boring in the comics.

Lastly to everyone who said vine is more marvel fans battle of the week and character of the week clearly show where true allegiances are formed and this is comming from someone who reads both i just pick who i think would win not which company i prefer

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But lastly i am using my hacking power and making Blade the character of the week without him he wouldnt have many awesome comic book films he was the catalyst and someone who dosent recive much attention on vine

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

A bit of a surprise, it's not a bad thing for Stewarts to be in the spotlight for once.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stewart vs Beta Ray Bill?

Bill is 1-0 I believe.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Wilbertus

Stewart was my second choice. I can live with this.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darkbeam

Wow I thought for sure Black Panther had this.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: May I make a suggestion? It's a fact that there is a larger DC fanbase here on the Vine and that's fine, but how about limiting the number a times a company can represent in a row so Marvel, Image or maybe god forbid Valiant characters get a chance to shine?

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vandinejd_1991

@dadarkknight36310: stompa isnt complaining about Comic vine being biased towards DC necessarily. hes just saying it would be nice for a character from another publisher to win, and as much as i love DC I do agree. heck id take anyone from any other company by this point if it meant a little variety.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dark_Stranger

Meh

Anyways ....

@k4tzm4n Some suggestions for upcoming battles.

Aside from the much desired Lantern vs. Nova.

How about ....

Green Lantern vs. Armor (Hisako Ichiki)

Green Lantern vs. Spectrum (Monica Rambeau)

Green Lantern vs. Northstar or Aurora - That or make it a team battle, with 2 Lanterns vs. the two siblings.

Green lantern vs. Blacklight (Lina Juarez)

Green Lantern vs. Jolt

Green Lantern vs. Sentry

Green Lantern vs. Darkstar (Laynia Petrovna)

Green Lantern vs. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The most boring out of all of them

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

One of my recent top John Stewart moments was in War of the Green Lanterns when John as an Indigo Lantern summons the Black Summon powers to destroy Mogo; showing that he will do what needs to be done.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Captain13

DC's Green Lantern Vs Marvel's Captain Marvel

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Did you know his name was originally going to be Jackson Washington, but then Neal Adams got really pissed off and made them change it because it was such a huge slave name. Hahaha if his name was Jackson Washington they might has well have just named him Black Blackman.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Did you know his name was originally going to be Jackson Washington, but then Neal Adams got really pissed off and made them change it because it was such a huge slave name. Hahaha if his name was Jackson Washington they might has well have just named him Black Blackman.

Yup! But I think the name Julie Schwartz wanted was "Lincoln Washington."

Loading Video...

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By Anjales_II

Incidentally John Stewart is in the news these last few days. Tyrese Gibson from the Fast and Furious movies is launching a social media campaign to play him in the upcoming DC cinematic-verse. He managed to land a meeting with WB.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladewolf: I'm surprised too! I'm always reading or hearing about how many people dislike John Stewart and how he is such a "boring" character. I really didn't expect him to win. Kudos to the Comicvine crowd!

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By owie  Moderator

Wow, I'm surprised, but that's cool. It will be interesting to see these battles. Maybe some psychic/telekinetics along the lines of X-Man, or some sorcerers like Morgan Le Fay?

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is stupid. Shoulda been BP

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By viin

lol awesome. I voted for Cyborg though I figured Black Panther was gonna take it. Either way I would of been happy. And don't worry Black Panther will be Character of the Month at some point..Im waiting for it myself too. I do really want to know about the best origin stories for both John Stewart and Black Panther if anybody can suggest any at this time.

For battles this month how about...Carol Danvers, Nova, Hulk, or Invisible Woman?

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC Again?!?!?!?

Stompa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dadarkknight36310: "Dude" i didn´t even say Marvel i said other publisher and i wouldn´t mind some spotlight on valiant and so on. And no matter the "Marvel hype" five month DC in a row for character of the month is too much no matter what hype is currently spreading.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaybefre said:

@bladewolf: I'm surprised too! I'm always reading or hearing about how many people dislike John Stewart and how he is such a "boring" character. I really didn't expect him to win. Kudos to the Comicvine crowd!

The only comment I have for this is that it's easy to confuse "loud" with "big."

Avatar image for street_level_hero
    Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hench4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hench4Life

A few suggestions for opponents I'd like to see Stewart fight that are a little less obvious...

Yondu (Sniper Fight)

Proxima Midnight

Iron man (Space Armor)

Death's Head

TG_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stompa: aquaman, damian wayne, wonder woman, and green arrow. DC had is 5 months in a row

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: O wow I never knew all that about John Stewart's creation. Makes all the more reason why John Stewart should be the main Green Lantern in the new Justice League movies. Just to show how far comics have come since their creation -meaning we don't need every superhero to be a white guy. (Not saying Hal Jordan still couldn't show up at some point or was a previous Green Lantern.)

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! YES!!! No more street levelers!

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh the worst one.. :((((

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh

Anyways ....

Some suggestions for upcoming battles.

Aside from the much desired Lantern vs. Nova.

How about ....

Green Lantern vs. Armor (Hisako Ichiki)

Green Lantern vs. Spectrum (Monica Rambeau)

Green Lantern vs. Northstar or Aurora - That or make it a team battle, with 2 Lanterns vs. the two siblings.

Green lantern vs. Blacklight (Lina Juarez)

Green Lantern vs. Jolt

Green Lantern vs. Sentry

Green Lantern vs. Darkstar (Laynia Petrovna)

No, no, no, no, no, and no!!!

Maybe I've been reading comics too long, but the DC character vs. Marvel character is just so 1990s. In the two instances Marvel characters have been chosen as Character of the Month, they had to face off against heroes and villains from their own universe (I'm not counting Spidey back in May since all of his battles consisted of his enemies). How about putting John up against someone from within DC?!? Someone on another board mentioned a melee of Lanterns that sounded kind of cool, and the Wonder Woman/Invincible and Damian match ups last year were really interesting and inspired choices. Because let's face it, unless John gets matched up against the Hulk we all know how the voting's going to go.

TG_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

damn, i was hoping for blade or miles.. oh well

possible matchups off the top of my head..
    -Quasar
    -Iceman
    -Nova (Rider)
    -Ms Marvel (Danvers)
    -Spawn

..Although that last one might be a mismatch lol

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By saucygiraffe

Falcon should of been on this list. Not that he would have won, that honor goes to a legacy character who doesn't get any love (and rarely any respect) from his own publisher. Silver lining, will get a month of quality JL/JLU clips...that's worth....something....

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Yup! But I think the name Julie Schwartz wanted was "Lincoln Washington."

Loading Video...

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.