ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By ReVamp

@BlackArmor said:

I'll say exactly what I said on the original thread, If he's telling the truth this guys 100% responsible for the few things I liked about this series and he really deserved more control and to be treated better

I agreed then and I agree now.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By BatteredArmor

Hardware needs a series and Rozum needs to right it

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@SIRIUS_BLAK:

None of what you just said, implies that DC deliberately set up Static to fail.

1. Creative choice (a dumb one in my opinion but a creative choice none the less)

2. Opinion

3. Bad writing. It happens sometimes, (and i was actually slightly interested by Sharon's side-plot)

4. Part of point 3.

5. That was clearly the result of problems between Static's creative team. That had nothing to do with DC in general (i.e. Bob Harras, Didio etc.)

6. DC only ever wanted Static anyway, he's the only reason they tried so hard to acquire the rights to the Milestone Universe)

Static failed, and that is most definitely sad. However just because it failed it does not mean that DC set the comic up to fail. Unless you believe that they set up Hawk and Dove, Blackhawks, Men of War, Omac and Mr Terrific as well.

SIRIUS_BLAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SIRIUS_BLAK

@Afro_Warrior:

Then you apparently have been drinking the same kool aid a lot of the sleepers out there have been drinking and that' s ok. Some of us take the red pill and others the blue. The fact remains that there were a lot of inept decisions made concerning a pivotal character that DC quietly watched crash and burn. And I believe they have the balls to do stuff like this because they think 75% percent of the readership is oblivious and on pop culture auto pilot anyway. As for the artwork...if you say that you like Mcdaniel's illustration of Static...that of course is your opinion. But if we look at the quality of the art in Static Shock compared to most of the other books in the New 52...it's definitely lacking. I also did not imply DC wanted more than Static as a property...I said that the reason why the book failed is because they didn't use Static's resources...which would have been the other Milestone characters. Sending an unproven book into battle without its most appealing features is suicide...as was the case with Static Shock. The other books you cited have years and years of continuity and will resurface again...and maybe Static Shock will do the same....but it's funny to me that the powers that be at DC treated this title so...indifferently.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Nighthunter

Moments like these is when I wonder how some people have a job when most don't. Seriously, what kind of logic could you find to justify the idea of putting a drawer who has never written in his life instead of a cult favorite writer.

I'm not saying that drawers can't write (JH Williams, Brian Buccaletto, Francis Manapul, George Perez, Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen, Tony Daniel, Walter Simonson, Mike Grell) but an untested drawer should never have the priority over a writer, especially if the writer has already been fired

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@SIRIUS_BLAK:

So your Neo, and one of the few who knows the truth and sees the world for what it truly is? Ahh huh, that makes complete sense.

Your over-rating Static, he's about as pivotal as Hawk and Dove are. One of the reasons why they didn't make extensive use of other Milestone characters, is because this is is a Static comic that DC wanted to be simple and easy for new readers to pick up. As with most of the NEW 52 characters histories and extensive relationships are being ignored in favour of simpler stories that require less knowledge of previous stories. Not too mention the fact that Hardware was being used, and all set to play a bigger part. Now yes i do agree that more of Static's history should have been utilised, but in this regard he was being treated no different to any other DC character (Barring, Superman, Green Lantern and Batman).

This title was treated no differently to any other and is actually more likely to resurface again, then the other cancelled titles. Men of War's last ongoing was in the 80's, Blackhawks last ongoing was 1990 and OMAC hasn't had an ongoing since 2006 and since then has only made the odd single issue appearances in other comics (save for a 6/7 issue run in Generation Lost i believe). Of all the titles cancelled, Static is the one whose least likely to disappear.

Avatar image for hatewhatispopular
hatewhatispopular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Static, but the series did suck. And the Power Ranger villains along with that oh so ominous group of evil republicans sucked even worse. I wish Rozum would have gotten his way with this series.

SIRIUS_BLAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SIRIUS_BLAK

e by SIRIUS_BLAK

Online Now

My reference to the red and blue pill was made because of your inability to see how minority characters are treated. It was a forgone conclusion that Static Shock and Mr. Terrific would be canceled after their first issues dropped. You seem somewhat intelligent...and have some comic book knowledge, but what you and many others fail to realize is that the cards are already stacked against a comic book featuring a black character. If you don't understand this or have never seen the topic discussed...then just google the topic...why black comic book heroes don't sell? There's a ton of speculation as to why black characters don't do as well as their Caucasian counterparts but it seems obvious to me that the same care and interest is not devoted to these characters. Knowing that the marketplace is a particularly cruel and difficult place for a black character to survive...why would DC not opt to give Static Shock the very best chances for survival? My assumption is the staff at DC is intelligent enough to know the challenges of selling a book starring a minority based superhero...that they did their homework and came to the table with something revolutionary in their approach. But no...they did exactly what I thought they would do...made a half ass attempt at producing a book that should have already had a built in audience of sorts and then allowed it to self destruct. Mr. Terrific is an interesting character when part of a group but DC would have been better off launching a new series based on CYBORG, ICON or JOHN STEWART/ GREEN LANTERN for Christ's sake...why in heavens do we get MR. TERRIFIC and BATWING. I'm a huge Grant Morrison fan and I am supremely tickled by his prodigious and fanciful imagination...and BATWING is an excellent by-product of his psychedelic ret-con musings but...there are many more deserving black characters out there that warrant their own book before one who is simply Bat Man in black face. OMAC, MAN of War, Hawk and Dove and whatever other titles you cited are books that are primarily about and populated by Caucasian characters...as are 99% of the other books on the market. Yeah...they got canceled but there's always another 10 books that you can purchase starring white superheroes. Not so much with DC black superheroes. Static Shock and Mr. Terrific are done for the time being...that leaves us with CYBORG playing the Luke Cage role for the JLA...and Black Bat Man. That sucks man...and I'm sorry you can see that or feel that as a fan...but I do. It is painfully clear to me that the parties involved with Static Shock and Mr. Terrific just didn't give a damn. Every time a series like this fails it's a nail in the coffin for other characters of color...because black superheroes just don't sell.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Ferro Vida

: @Afro_Warrior said:

I really can't believe some of the comments in this thread.

First off people who are claiming that DC set up this book to fail, are being idiots and ignoring the facts. They gave the book a good writer in John Rozum, an editor he had worked with before in Harvey Richards (they worked together on Xombi) and an artist who while not to my personal tastes, is definitely not terrible and who was clearly passionate about his job (note: the trailers he created and posted on youtube in an effort to promote the comic).

Second, for those who are trying to use this and Mr Terrific as examples of racism within DC, i'll raise you the brilliantly written and drawn Batwing. The actually interesting characterisation and introduction of Cyborg into the Justice League, and the fact that these titles actually made it to the NEW 52 line-up, when it would have been safer financially for them to ignore them in place of titles like Young Justice, Justice Society and even a Worlds Finest title (because we all know a title starring Batman and Superman would sell).

While i'm sad and disappointed that Static didn't work out, and that their were problems within the creative team. I'm not going to blow this out of proportion and claim its because of racism or DC hating Static.

First off I agree with you. Second, while I haven't read Static yet I was always a big fan of the show and was really surprised when he didn't make the cut. That said... Mr. Terrific was just not a very good book. It felt like they cut away everything that made him interesting in favour of, well... Black Batman. He was so well grounded before that it was always interesting to read books he was now. Now it just felt like they were slathering on as much awesomeness as they possibly could to his character. The whole thing felt really cliche and forced, and I wouldn't buy issue #2.

Static will probably make a come-back soon because of his popularity, and I hope they take Mr. Terrific back to the drawing boards.

Also, on the topic of books being cut, How on God's Green Earth did Green Arrow make it?

humanfly26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#60  Edited By humanfly26

this article fills me with righteous fury. i really liked Xombi and Kobalt, and was excited for Static because it had Rozum's name on it. When I read Static Shock and was severely underwhelmed, I assumed it was because Rozum was a "half-writer" on it. Now it seems that he was even less than that! I'm really sorry to hear that he's getting so much flack for a crappy series that obviously was not his doing. I think its a little cool that DC is letting their artists take over writing duties on some of their books, but with the exception of The Flash, it seems that most of them have not been so good (e.g. Static, Superman, Firestorm). Rest assured, I will not be one of those who avoids Rozum books in the future, I just hope he is able to find a good project in one of the other companies!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By fodigg

As I said in previous thread, this was a bad situation all around. And--assuming truth in Rozum's account--it's all the editor's fault. Even if the artist is an "idea guy," trust your writer. It's prolific "idea guys" who lack fundamentals that ruin good franchises (e.g., Chris Claremont, George Lucas). The editor let himself be wowed and didn't listen to the guy whose name was on the book.

Rozum should've stopped it right then and walked, but he didn't because he was probably 1) concerned about his career if he spoke up and poisoned any potential success before the book dropped, and 2) was assured he'd have control returned to him, although it never happened.

If it was just the editor or if it were higher up in DC, it's clear that Rozum was brought on for his name and connection to Milestone only. He was there as a marketing device and not as a writer, and that's a damn shame. The elements of the book he claims ownership of are the ones I was most pleased to see.

---

Regarding blacks in the new 52 generally, I'd opine:

• Mr. Terrific was effing horrible and offensively brought race up in the most stilted and odd way possible
  • Static was just boring--ironically because it was trying to hard to be exciting--and is ultimately a missed opportunity
  • Amanda Waller in Suicide Squad was changed for no reason and has lost some of her distinctiveness, and really should have a bigger role in that title
  • Cyborg in Justice League is awesome in theory but damn they need to give him a solo title or at least use him more in the pages of JL and not just the covers; you can't just say that he's big time, you have to treat him like he's big time
  • Batwing is an unexpected gem and I love it, and I love that it introduces the Kingdom, a group of black, Africa-based superheroes who spawned at the same time as the JLA
  • John Stewart deserves better, but at least he wasn't dropped like Wally West, Donna Troy, Cassandra Cain, and Connor Hawke; but then he's always been my favorite GL so I've always felt he was underutilized

7 is not a big chunk of 52 and I wish I had more examples to explore.

EDIT: I forgot one:

• Voodoo is surprisingly good and was a great example of how to properly handle a "sexy" character and still make her dynamic and interesting, compared to the failures in Catwoman and Red Hood and the Outlaws
waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62  Edited By waruikumo

I'm not gonna front, this is extremely disheartening. Especially since Xombi was one of my favorite pre52 titles.

But I guess I'm the fool for believing DCs whole "NEW" angle, when the creators are pretty much the same stagnant revolving door 40 something's that have been writing mediocre comics since the all flash no substance 1990s (dude born in 1985, went back and read a lot of the 1990s stuff i bought the toys for back in the day, it's more dated and harder to read than most of the silver age).

Really DC? Liefeld gets more books? You can Cornell on Stormwatch before it's off the ground? Static Shock (need I say more)? And JT Krul, who is as bad a writer as Liefeld is an artist. it's pretty sad the new DCu is basically the 1990s Marvel U.

Jugens on Stormwatch = FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Serious he wrote the WORST comic I have ever read. The Sentry Fallen Son, I'm less of a person for even buying that piece of sh!t.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@waruikumo:

Just wanted to point out that Cornell wasn't canned. He's writing a new book called Saucer Country (with Vertigo) and doesn't think he can write three books monthly. So he's leaving Stormwatch and staying on Demon Knights. Also Jenkins is taking over Stormwatch not Jugens.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Static Shock

How does a comic book artist, who never wrote a comic book and never read or watched any material on Static, tell the lead writer of the book that his ideas are wrong because of what he read in a book about screenwriting? Then, the editor (who is essentially a clown for agree with McDaniel) makes the situation worse. Rozum used to work for Milestone. Why are they treating him like crap? Why did they hire an ex-Milestone writer and not allow him to do what he was hired to do on an ex-Milestone character?

What kinda nonsense is that, anyway? Are they running a comic book publishing company or are they running a circus at DC? McDaniel and Richards are certified clowns (and they were even grimy enough to plot the series without the lead writer). Rozum was right to leave the book. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.