Follow

John Constantine

Character » John Constantine appears in 1559 issues.

John Constantine, the Hellblazer, is a working-class magician, occult detective and a golden-tongued con man. He is well-known for his scathing wit, endless cynicism, ruthless cunning and constant chain smoking. A roguish counterculture anti-hero, Constantine is also a strident humanist driven by a heartfelt desire to defend mankind from the forces of evil.

Interview: James Tynion IV and Ming Doyle Set the Stage for CONSTANINE: THE HELLBLAZER

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

John Constantine has been shown to be a guy with a hand in many things. With the recent events, it’s been unknown where he would end up next. With James Tynion IV and Ming Doyle taking on the dark and magic area of the DC Universe, they’re tasked with taking John in a new direction. The two will be working on CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER (as well as DARK UNIVERSE, more on that later), so we asked them what’s coming up for Constantine.

COMIC VINE: How will this be connected to the previous series.

No Caption Provided

JAMES TYNION IV: It’s one of those things, and I think this is one of the core aspects of a lot of these new DC books, those stories happened. We’re not going to do anything to directly contradict them or anything.

MING DOYLE: This is just going down a different path.

JT: Yeah. This is us, but we’re also not too concerned with staying the course.

MD: If you didn’t read CONSTANTINE before this at all, if you didn’t know what he was up to, you can pick this up and figure it out.

JT: Right, but also if you did read that, if you have been reading CONSTANTINE and you love the character, we’re going to the core of the character you love. We’re going to tell an incredible story that’s deeply personal to John. We’ll explore the core danger at the heart of him.

MD: Just like not everything that happens to Superman is in a regimented chronological order of events, he’s doing seven different things in two books at the same time. Really, this story doesn’t pick up from the previous CONSTANTINE. It doesn’t disregard it, it doesn’t say it didn’t happen. It’s just following this other thing that John’s doing.

CV: Are there going to be any elements from the television show added in?

MD: Not consciously.

JT: The television show has been a really great entry point to the character for a whole bunch of new fans but we wanted our vision to come from ourselves.

MD: Right.

JT: So we haven’t been letting the show guide us that much.

MD: It’s a different iteration of the character just like the Batman cartoons aren’t the same thing as the Schumacher Batman movies or whatever. It’s not in the same continuity necessarily. It’s the same guy but a different deal.

CV: So we’re not going to see Chas or Zed?

MD: No. You will see new characters.

JT: You’ll see lots of new characters and it’s very likely that familiar characters will pop their heads in every now and then. We want to create a Hellblazer title that gets down to that dangerous core and approaches it in a good clean way so that you never have to have read a Constantine book. This book will show you why this character, showing up in just a few pages in a Swamp Thing comic, why we’re still talking about him today.

MD: But, if you have read every Constantine comic, we hope that readers will think this is a new interesting story about a thing that has happened to John and it’ll just expand their appreciation for the character.

CV: Will it have a slightly Vertigo feel?

MD: It’s gonna be dark!

JT: These are horror books but to say it has a “Vertigo feel,” we want to match the challenge that the original Vertigo writers took upon themselves to take these incredible concepts and ground them in our day to day lives. But they grounded it in the real world of the late 80s and early 90s. That was so perfect and so real and so timely back then. I think sometimes now, to get at that Vertigo feel, it’s now dated because John Constantine shouldn’t look like someone who walked out of 1993. When he first showed up in the pages of SWAMP THING, he was the dangerous attractive man in the bar. Yes, John Constantine is always going to be wearing a coat but…

MD: He’s been wearing the same coat over thirty years.

JT: That’s ridiculous. We want to get to that dangerous heart of the character that made him into this timeless character.

MD: You can have a style but you don’t have to wear a uniform when you’re somebody like John. You’re not Superman, you don’t put on the suit everyday.

You can find out more in June. Here's the solicit for the first issue.

CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER #1

Written by MING DOYLE

Art and cover by RILEY ROSSMO

1:25 Variant cover by MING DOYLE

On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

The dark adventures of DC’s foremost occult detective continue in an all-new series as he investigates the cruelest case he’s ever come across – his own dark history!

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
    GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A darker Constantine book? I'm all in.

No Caption Provided

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I've read a whole bunch of Hellblazer in a relatively short amount of time. I don't know that I'll ever get comfortable with an American (or Canadian) writer on this character. But I like everyone involved, so I'll give it a shot.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm pumped. I've actually been enjoying the current series quite a lot, but I'd love a little more creative freedom and to see some darker content.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well, it can't be worse than the Constantine title...

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ando123

I'lll give this a try.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

By the looks of things in that cover art, they just swapped out his trench-coat and gave him a leather jacket instead. Which I'm okay with. It's about time Constantine had a bit of an update. They're kind of right, trench-coats died off in 1970s.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I've read a whole bunch of Hellblazer in a relatively short amount of time. I don't know that I'll ever get comfortable with an American (or Canadian) writer on this character. But I like everyone involved, so I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, Hellblazer was the most British comic that didn't come from Britain and loosing that really takes away from the character.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All of my yes on this title! I need a time machine to get to June!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By The Impersonator

I hear the Constantine show is being planned to move into SyFy network. Maybe, they will add the subtitle, The Hellblazer to it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter said:

Yeah, Hellblazer was the most British comic that didn't come from Britain and loosing that really takes away from the character.

Agreed. And they're taking away his coat. That's like Superman ditching his cape.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I hear the Constantine show is being planned to move into SyFy network. Maybe, they will add the subtitle, The Hellblazer to it.

No, that rumor's been completely squashed.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@longbowhunter said:

Agreed. And they're taking away his coat. That's like Superman ditching his cape.

Eh I don't mind that really

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@jonny_anonymous said:

@longbowhunter said:

Not really. FanboyStranger from CBR said it the best:

I'm one of the biggest John Constantine fans around, and I totally disagree with this. The idea of John wearing a uniform/costume is completely at odds with the character's makeup. He wore the trench coat in the '80s because that's what people were wearing in a country where it rains all the time. He didn't wear it in the Amazon, or when he was on the run during the Fear Machine. I think it became a facile visual signifier as dumb as any other superhero costume, and that's just not what the character is. Other than Milligan, I don't think any HB writer did anything interesting with the coat, and even the story there was that John had been involved in so much crap over the years, the bad vibes permeated the coat.

John should dress as the situation dictates. If he's pulling a con on a high ranking member of Parliament, the suit makes sense. If he's grifting out on the street, it really doesn't. He doesn't need a uniform.

BB

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By longbowhunter

@billy_batson: I was being hyperbolic. But I did forgot about shaggy John in the Fear Machine arc.

No Caption Provided

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sweet! Looking forward to this.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in for the initial arc, unless the art turns out to be atrocious. I'll reassess after the first arc and see whether or not it's worth keeping it on my pull list.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

yessssssssssss im in

~MiB

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

@jonny_anonymous said:

@longbowhunter said:

No Caption Provided

@the_lobster_: No, no, no, no, no. Trench coat for life!!

Meh, So long as John Constantine is still the chain-smoking, blonde bastard from Britain. I don't care what he wears. He's still John Constantine with or without the trench-coat. Switching to a leather-jacket or just civilian clothes isn't really that big of a deal-breaker. It's not he's trying to inspire people by being a symbol like Superman or Batman. He's just a dude with horrible luck, and an even worst attitude.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SodamYat

Cant wait.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Winter_Kills

A darker Constantine book? I'm all in.

No Caption Provided

For real! A darker series that is more like the classic Hellblazer- dark stories that stand out from everything on the stands, mysticism & occultism & plots where few writers dare to go, with John's chain-smoking cynicism laced throughout, with John going, as they say, where even angels fear to tread- that's the John Constantine, Hellblazer I want to read about! A toned-down Constantine just doesn't work for me- it's like Judge Dredd going soft on perps, or giving a diabetic Froot Loops for breakfast. Not gonna work.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything they are saying makes me think of Dante from the new DmC and that sounds great to me.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I just hope they eliminate all the crossover BS and stylized cheesy costumes like that clown suit they had Papa Midnight in recently. The New52 stint sucked. Just cut out all the costume and cape influenced crap and get back to the grit, cynicism and horror. I don't care if you make it PG-13 or whatnot...

But I'll give it a try.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
    The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ok with no coat.i read all of hellblazer in a couple weeks while on deployment a few months ago and I'm pretty certain he just rocked the suit look without the coat quite a lot! I'm not a 100 on this so don't hate on me.

Anyway as long as John is the renegade chain smoker up for some trouble I don't mind, I like magic in my hellblazer but azzarello hardly used magic and it rocked so we don't need it and we don't need a coat we just need some darkness and sarcasm

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm in a minority, but I liked the most recent arc of the Constantine comic, and I generally liked Hellblazer as well. Either way, I'm excited to see what they're going to do with the character. I'm fine with them getting rid of the trench coat, but it's so iconic, it just feels a bit wrong.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

So who's gonna read this?

The_Imperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be. When does the first issue come out?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.