Jillian Pearlman was born and raised with her three older brothers on a horse ranch outside of Abilene, Texas. She spent her childhood happily, riding horses and chasing F-16s that took off at the nearby Air Force base. From her childhood on, Jillian knew that all she wanted to do was fly.
When she turned nineteen, Jillian enlisted in the Air Force. Here, her sharp wit, cocky attitude, and Texan accent earned her the call sign "Cowgirl". Working with the Air Force, it was here that she met Hal Jordan.
Cowgirl, Hal "Highball" Jordan, and Shane "Rocket-Man" Sellers were all sent on an Air Force mission together. Jordan, as per usual, did not wear his Green Lantern ring. During this mission all three of their jets were shot down and they were taken as prisoners of war. They spent months in a Chechnyan prison camp, in which both Jillian and Hal were eventually became close. In an attempt to escape the camp, Hal filed down his chains while his captors attempted to torture Cowgirl in front of him to get him to reveal secrets, since torturing Hal himself wasn't working.
Cowgirl and Hal used the surprise to overcome their jailers, located Rocket-Man, and fled the camp. They eventually made it into a campsite and a hospital. Upon their return to America, they were awarded Prisoner of War medals in a ceremony. This ceremony was however interrupted by a ship piloted by Tomar-Tu, and crashed to Earth. When the three recovered, they were put back on active Air Force duty, but on the condition that they attended therapy sessions. All three skipped those sessions, and instead decided to get together at Pancho's; the station bar, and work through it together.
Only 24 hours after being back in the Air Force, Cowgirl was sent on a mission to attack the same group of terrorists that took her captive. During the mission, her jet was hit and the Air Force lost contact with her. When Hal heard of this, he went after her in his Green Lantern guise. He made it to the crash site and there was no sign of Cowgirl anywhere. This was because the terrorists took off immediately in a jeep when they realized the Green Lantern was coming. During the breakaway, Cowgirl yanked the steering wheel, and sent the jeep into a tree and she was flung into a frozen lake, from which she was saved by Hal and she immediately recognized that it was him beneath the mask. As he attempted to heal her with his power ring, interstellar bounty hunters began attacking the duo. However, John Stewart, Hal Jordan's sector partner was undercover as bounty hunter Hunger Dog and he captured the other hunters. After which he took Cowgirl to hospital.
When the Star Sapphire gem resurfaced, it bonded with original host Carol Ferris before realizing that Hal's affections had switched to Cowgirl. The Star Sapphire jumped hosts to Cowgirl and chased Jordan, carrying Carol Ferris through the city as he tried to tire her out. Hal then covered Ferris with a Green Lantern "suit" and the two did battle, with Jordan finally pinning Cowgirl under a car and prying the Sapphire off of her.
Following her revelation to Hal that she knew he was a Green Lantern, the two began dating.
Major Story Arcs
Green Lantern Season 2
Gil Hernadaz, Lou Bryne , Shane Sellers and Jillian test pilot Jonathan Stone's experimental X-300 Teleport Plane, but after one of the tests only Shane makes it back. The other three become trapped in another dimension. It is unclear what happens in that other dimension but Lou and Gil both die and Jillian is left as the sole survivor. That is where Hal Jordan finds her on a rescue mission. After Hal's X-300 is destroyed by a Cloud Creature, Jillian takes him to her downed X-300 whcich they use to escape back to there dimension.
Powers and Abilities
- Pilot: Cowgirl is an accomplished pilot, who is accustomed to fighting in US Air Force jets and can handle firearms.
- Air Force Training: As a member of the United States Air Force, Jillian Pearlman has gone through all the typical training that an Air Force pilot would receive, including training in combat and survival skills. Shills which she put to good use when her plain went down over Russia.
As a Star Sapphire
When possessed by the Star Sapphire, she was shown to have the following powers:
- Animation: A Violet Lantern can will objects to move how he or she wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: The ring acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer, which is why the Corps can communicate with each other.
- Burglar Alarm: A Lantern can coat anything with the rings beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The rings can act as a personal communicator between Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projections: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The rings allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The rings can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The rings can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The rings allows the user to go through walls.
- Probing: The rings can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring but will last only twenty-four (24) hours.
- Temperature Control: The rings can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Transforming: The rings can transform anyone or anything, be it into an animal, altering their state of appearance, or their size.