Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8002 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Young Jean Grey Power Levels

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In All New X-men the 16 year old Jean has been shown to be so powerful that she can out last Emma Frost and the Stepford Cuckoo's in a psychic battle against her future self, redirect a mental projection of Lady Mastermind, and mind control her fellow teammates. All of this supposedly is justified by the fact that because she knew that she would eventually be able to use these powers she can now use them. While every psychic in the X-men from Jean Grey and the professor to Psylocke and Rachel Grey has sorta had their powers and abilities shoot up and down the power scale without warning, the thing that bothers me is that the last time Jean Grey(current time) was alive she seemed to be just reaching these new levels well into her thirties. Personally I don't like the focus being put on Jean's power levels as I think it's lead to her being taboo in almost all X-men franchises in the last 10 years, but my question is: Should Jean Grey(Past) be allowed to grow to these greater levels so quickly? And if so, do you think its a good thing for the character as a whole?

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I like the fact that her power is is growing stronger everyday. In fact xorn warned jean that whatever power she thinks she has wont be enough but i would like for teen wrong jean to prove her. Jean was always powerful but she was afraid to use it because it made other people worried or scared

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I think that its cool for this Jean's character to prove Xorn Jean wrong and change that future, but I feel like at 16 she is stronger then any of the other telepaths and telekinetics currently in the Marvel U. Similarly I feel like if Jean Grey has this much power at 16 then theirs no where for her to go but Phoenix level which is probably last place Jean should go since at this point every Jean Grey story about that has been written.

mechem_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is teen Jean really THAT powerful? I mean creating illusions and putting people to sleep are like the basics for a telepath. The most impressive thing she has done was beat her future self in a 5 vs 1 battle. And let's not forget she got her ass kicked by the cuckoos not long ago. She's nowhere near the power-level of regular Jean Grey yet (and she shouldn't be).

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Koays

@mechem_93 She made Angel forget his entire argument for going back to their time, after like a day of knowing she even had telepathy. And she projected an image of the phoenix into the minds of everyone in a warehouse including over a dozen Hydra agents, Mystique's brotherhood and her team. I'm not so concerned about her having these abilities but I feel like someone should say where the hell did she learn to do these things that we don't see experienced psychics do.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@mechem_93 She made Angel forget his entire argument for going back to their time, after like a day of knowing she even had telepathy. And she projected an image of the phoenix into the minds of everyone in a warehouse including over a dozen Hydra agents, Mystique's brotherhood and her team. I'm not so concerned about her having these abilities but I feel like someone should say where the hell did she learn to do these things that we don't see experienced psychics do.

Plus she took wolverine's motorbike apart with her tk and beast said she could only do that in phoenix mode and not as a "pure mutant"

mechem_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays marked this as the best answer

@koays said:

Plus she took wolverine's motorbike apart with her tk and beast said she could only do that in phoenix mode and not as a "pure mutant"

Yeah that was an odd statement, since when is beast an expert of the phoenix?

mechem_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I think after seeing her future and the things she acccomplished Jean's not afraid of pushing her boundaries like her adult self was most of the time. And experienced telepaths like Charles and Emma did things like these many times.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Koays

@koays: I think after seeing her future and the things she acccomplished Jean's not afraid of pushing her boundaries like her adult self was most of the time. And experienced telepaths like Charles and Emma did things like these many times.

I can accept that since both Jeans had memory dumps at one point or another and reacted differently toward them (Normal Jean was upset about what the phoenix did while she was "dead" and that may have held her back). I just think it's a little rushed to have Past Jean doing some of these things without any help or tutoring since it sets a bad precedent. Like after this Jean returns to her time we may not see another sign of Jean Grey for years because she's too strong to be practically used.

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

Koays marked this as the best answer

@koays said:

Yeah that was an odd statement, since when is beast an expert of the phoenix?

I think he was talking about that scene in New X-men when she put Emma Frost back together

mechem_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I see, still taking a motorbike apart is not quite the same as molecularly reconstructing someone's body. But I get your point and this is a problem every telepath has, sometimes they're too strong and sometimes they are the first to faint.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I see, still taking a motorbike apart is not quite the same as molecularly reconstructing someone's body. But I get your point and this is a problem every telepath has, sometimes they're too strong and sometimes they are the first to faint.

I just hope teen jean doesnt become like lady xorn. Did anyone realize that lady xorn was about how jean didnt have the power of the phoenix and how dead jean is jean with phoenix power. Like the two paths of the future, one with and one without?????

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Koays

@hopesummersforthefuture: Xorn Jean is a pretty accurate picture of how Teen Jean could turn out if she's still depicted as being crazy powerful. Honestly I hope she doesn't become anything like that or regular Jean because I'm tired of Jean Grey death/phoenix stories. It seems like either path ends badly and as a Jean fan I'd like time to just enjoy having her around without worrying she's gonna be written out of the book for being crazy/strong.

@mechem_93: My thing was just that it's jarring when you consider this is supposed to be the character from the first few issues that they were calling the weakest of the 05 X-men. Telepaths/telekinetics in marvel are just odd.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture:

Xorn Jean is a pretty accurate picture of how Teen Jean could turn out if she's still depicted as being crazy powerful. Honestly I hope she doesn't become anything like that or regular Jean because I'm tired of Jean Grey death/phoenix stories. It seems like either path ends badly and as a Jean fan I'd like time to just enjoy having her around without worrying she's gonna be written out of the book for being crazy/strong.

@mechem_93

: My thing was just that it's jarring when you consider this is supposed to be the character from the first few issues that they were calling the weakest of the 05 X-men.Telepaths/telekinetics in marvel are just odd.

Yeah that is odd. I hope jean gets some real training in her tp powers and i guess if jean is sometimes in uncannny the only teacher to help her in that is emma frost, yikes. But then again jean is going into space soon, so maybe when she gets back from space. But the problem that bothers me is if jean gets control in her tp power (and she is a powerful mutant irregardless), if she goes back to her own time can she take on xavier so the o5 dont get mind-wipe. Even teen cyclops says he doesnt want to forget what he learned in the future.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darthphoenix

training from emma?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.