Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8006 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Original Phoenix

Avatar image for the_scarlet_witch
    The Scarlet Witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The Scarlet Witch

Hello everyone I'm new to the site. I just had a quick question regarding the original Phoenix. I'll be honest I haven't read the original comics in quite sometime so my knowledge is a tad rusty. I do remember though in the original the Phoenix was not a separate entity but was Jean's full potential realized. I was just curious at what point this was changed? Since pretty much everything else I remember from the cartoons etc the Phoenix is shown as the cosmic entity we all know it as today.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Welcome to Comic Vine! 

It was changed when they resurrected Jean for X-Factor #1 (I can't remember the specific Fantastic Four issue right now, but I'm sure you can find it in Jean's Comics By Cover section).  In order to bring her back to life, they established that the Phoenix was a separate entity who had placed Jean in a cocoon when the shuttle crashed back on Earth. 

This was much much later retconned again to say that Jean really was the Phoenix, but I don't know where that was.

The Scarlet Witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The Scarlet Witch
    @xerox-kitty:  Thanks for the welcome! : ) Also thanks for your response. I knew they changed it but I was unable to remember when that was though I knew it was quite a ways back.
    The Scarlet Witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The Scarlet Witch
    @Jake Fury: Thanks for the direct links!
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kerukun878

Actually, I hate to retort XK, but it was never retconned to say that the Jean that committed suicide on the moon and the Jean in the cocoon were one in the same. It was just stated that the Phoenix Force IS Jean, but Jean is not the Phoenix Force.

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but Jean did say "I'm always Jean, and always Phoenix" not an exact quote...but she said something to the extent of that... 
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kerukun878
    @The_Greatest_Username:  She actually said that the Phoenix Force is herself, but she is NOT the Phoenix Force.
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @The Scarlet Witch: You should get the Official Phoenix Handbook, it came out like a month ago :]
    The Scarlet Witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:  Oh I'll surely have to look into that!
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @kerukun878 said:

"Actually, I hate to retort XK, but it was never retconned to say that the Jean that committed suicide on the moon and the Jean in the cocoon were one in the same. It was just stated that the Phoenix Force IS Jean, but Jean is not the Phoenix Force. "

A retcon is still a retcon.  As I said, I don't know where the retcon happened.  I still don't.  

The whole thing is stupid & drawn out.  It's just a shame that she wont stay dead... knowing that she'll be back means that there'll be more retcons & more ridiculously convoluted stories.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.