Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 7984 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Off My Mind: Should Comic Characters Be Sad Over Deaths?

• 110 results
    ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By ComicStooge

Don't forget the Punisher! He died too!
    Rosebunse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Rosebunse

Should we be sad over the deaths? Most of us are too cynical to care. Should the fictional characters be sad over the deaths of their friends and loved ones? Well, sure, because if they weren't, then comics would loose all hints of realism. So let me have my sad-SPOLIER!-Cable funeral!
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#53  Edited By cbishop
    @G-Man said:
    " @cbishop said:
    " @wallymonster: To be fair: DC said from the start that Superman was coming back a few months after they killed him.   " 
    I remember early on they said that sales were low on the titles and decided to kill him off. They tried giving the impression that it was final. But then, obviously we had Reign of the Superman right after. "

Yeah, they did that, but what I recall is that they held the press conference saying, "We're killing him," but added "but he's coming back in April."  DC made it clear from the beginning that Supes wasn't going to be gone for good.
    batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#54  Edited By batmanboy11

The characters themselves should be sad, becuase they don't know that the character that died will be back usually in a year or two, sometimes 20. *cough* Jason Todd *cough*
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By daredevil21134

@batmanboy11:
    Barry Allen cough. Jason Todd forever

Avatar image for graphiccasualfreak
    GraphicCasualFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 2

I don't know, I think it's probably not as epic as something like death in Watchmen.  But the actual people in the comic are probably not looking at it like the people are coming back.  Kind of like in soap operas.  I agree deaths have become cheap, but what is crazier is that it doesn't happen that often that people die for good.  After all with everyone throwing bullets, magic, etc... All over the place you would think that someone would die for reelz just about every issue.

KJPPPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By KJPPPimp

One of the things I loved about Final Crisis was Superman's speech at Martian Manhunter's funeral when he said they would pray for a resurrection. Deaths and rebirths are as much a part of comics as costumes and speech bubbles but the only time it bothers me is if it isn't handled well. A great character death and fallout was Captain America right after Civil War. Everyone knew Cap wouldn't be dead forever but he was playing such a major role in the universe it made sense that the Avengers and the supporting characters from his own series took it so hard. As long as there is some great story telling around it I don't mind character deaths that much. I think what I hate the most is when some random supporting character or C-list villain dies but they try to make it seem like they played a bigger role than they did. Most of the time these are the characters that are remembered mostly for their deaths cough*616 Gwen Stacy*cough

4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By 4Essence

Yup. Agree totally. Not very much more than a marketing ploy these days.
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By Silver Knight75

Heroes do sometimes come back, but it is still sad when they die.  

I'm still upset about Nightcrawler

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By Gambit1024

It's only sad if it's symbolic. When Captain America died a few years ago, that was something to get chills over. The nation lost one of it's greatest sons and a huge hole was made in the heart of the Marvel superheroes. When someone like Wasp or Ares dies, it's not nearly as sad because, like it or not, those characters weren't that important. Besides, Ares is a freakin' God. You KNOW he'll make a comeback.  

While I'm on the subject, bringing Steve Rogers back from the dead was a mistake. I know I was one of the many who were pissed about his death and Bucky taking the mantle, but now I'm ok with that idea and I'm open to that idea. But now bringing him back (which, c'mon people, we ALL saw it coming) kinda destroys the whole Fallen Son arc and everything like that. 

Oh, and RIP Nightcrawler.

dan1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By dan1509

I genuinely dont feel anything when characters die in comics these days, it's just like "meh, they'll be back soon enough" and so when someone does die, theres no shock to it anymore :/

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#62  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Gambit1024:
    agreed
    Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Dro

Wasp is still dead...

far as I know...

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By undeadpool

I think Bucky's return was one of the only, if not only, legit "resurrection" because as Ed Brubaker said, "No body, no death." And he retconned him into continuity in such a graceful, subtle way that I really forgive it. 
    Old Man Logan had a lot of emotional resonance for me because it really felt like "This time...they really are dead." I know it was an alternate future from the actual timeline, but still...seeing all those people praying around Thor's hammer still meant something.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#65  Edited By gmanfromheck

Remember when it used to be said that Bucky, Uncle Ben and Jason Todd would always stay dead. I wouldn't be surprised if Wasp came back (she died before in 1984's Secret Wars). I'd imagine Nightcrawler will return someday. Maybe it'd have something to do with his demon dad. The other mutant that died at the end of Second Coming...I feel there's still more of his story to tell.

X-93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By X-93

It's cool if they grieve.  Just trying to relate to normal everyday real life.  People connect with that even if it is only temp., or make believe.  People like a little realism in a make believe world.

briangermain1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By briangermain1

This is kinda mean but I think they should have left Captain America (Steve Rogers) dead for alot longer. I think one of the reasons we are all so desensitized to comic character death is partially how quickly they come back these days.  I mean look how long Bucky was dead, and we were all awed by his return.  If batman died and it was for more than a year we would all be in mourning. Something along the lines of "well shoot! Maybe they won't bring him back!" Whereas someone like one of the wonder twins dying would be years before we missed them.  Also everyone was up in arms about aunt may dying but let's face it if she really died and everyone was mad about it, it would be because she was shot not if she died  of old age.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By The Devil Tiger

All what'sbeing said before me. 

That and I feel it's sometimes very awful to use death so casually in comicbooks, what's the sense of sacrifice and heroism if you know that you don't isk anything, ever. 

And more, it's disrespectful of people wo read these book and have lost loved one. It happened to me some times ago, and frankly, I was feeling insulted, personnally. Because i treated death cheaply, and not seriously. Far worse, it seemed to me that it attempt to treat death in comics seriously and then ressurect caracter mocked the pain of real people.

Jord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By Jord

In the right hands and properly handled, a comic book death can have meaning, sure. 

Individual issues that detail the funeral and are meant to pull at our heartstrings and pocketbooks by taking advantage of the death?  These are almost always contrived, sappy, and totally uninteresting.

UnclePappyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By UnclePappyWolf

I think the opposite... I think stop killing off characters in the first place that are the main staples because no matter how heartfelt their deaths are how is no one ever going to be tempted to want to bring back a classic and write new stories? That's just the price one pays for having a good character. For me I just suspend my disbelief when it comes to a comic deaths. So long as the death or the resurrection is compelling to the story then I'm okay with it. but if its dumb or too soon after they have died then I feel kind of cheated and I think the story suffers.

Nowhere Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#71  Edited By Nowhere Lad

Personally, it gets me mad because it's a type of mistreatment. 

For, like, the death of Lois Lane of Earth-2 or Pa Kent, that was sad because they actually HAD something to do with the story. 

But other characters are killed simply for shock value, like Lian Harper, I guess, because the editors aren't wiling to spend enough time to think up in interesting story. So they rehash the old "superhero has lost everything" shpill, we spend five years with the character dead, and they come back as if nothing happened. But you bring the character back while the wound is still fresh, then their death and return will still have an impact and the consequences brought on FROM their death will still matter. 

I mean, Hal Jordan wiped out the Green Lantern Corps when he became Parallax, but aside from a couple of Lanterns, does anyone in the DCU honestly care? No. Wonder Girl spent half of OYL in a cult, and then thinking Supernova was Conner Kent. She had a very disastrous relationship with Tim Drake and acted like a real beyotch for a few issues. Does any of that matter after Conner came back? No. Hawk turned into Monarch and Extant before he died, what mention of THAT has anyone made at all? 

Some characters should never be brought back, like Jason Todd. His death had an effect on Batman and we got Tim Drake. Some should, like Lian, because what did we get from that? That Rise of Arsenal... thing. I'm still confused as to why Osiris was brought back, because if they were going to give him a heroic sendoff in Blackest Night why did they then have him help murder Ryan Choi?

That's the problem with most comic deaths. They don't mean anything because people instantly forget about them and what happened after when the character comes back.

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Dark Cell

Captain Marvel is still dead :(

Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Walker696

I think it boils down to sometimes you just don't know. To them they deal with death but there are so many factors that determine who comes back, when they come back, and why they come back. Look at Darkest Night and the Skrull Invasion, in both situations people didn't know who was dead, who was good, who was evil, or who was fighting against who. I think its less the fact that the deaths don't last and more the fact that you don't know the condition of the person's return. Look at the price Parker paid to fix his life, Rogers gave up his mantle when he came back, hell Deadman is a live. So its not that someone dying is the only thing that affects them, its also the fact that in the case that person returns will things be the same. Hell it seemed like every time Jean came back she brought a new crazier version of the Phoenix with her. We deal with everyday tragedy they deal with everyday tragedy plus hero tragedy. You don't have to worry about getting sucked in the Negative Zone or Thanos killing you and your friends or a crazy super villain trying to kill your family, they need the time to mourn because at times its the only thing that seems normal to them in their crazy lives, just let them have it man.

Brickabrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Brickabrack

Yeah character deaths have an impact on me. When a character I like dies, they stop using that character in stories. Maybe that sounds obvious but think about it. For the next year to however long it takes for that character to come back, I don't get to read new stories about the character. That's a pretty big impact for me! I don't like it. I have a hard time reading Batman books because I still can't accept Dick as Batman. I just like Bruce better. 

I never really get sad from deaths of any sort in comics. Sad in the sense of an emotional response from caring about the characters well being. With the exception of maybe Identity Crisis. It's not only because I know the character will come back anyway (although that plays a part), it's more because the writers (usually) fail to write a story that is engaging enough to make me care.
    Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By Harlekin

I'm against killing characters, but believe bring them back is worst. It cheapens the characters and the medium. Looking at Geoff Johns.

Shipwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Shipwreck

I think more people need to look at Death Becomes Them.  
    *kills Jean.* 
    Scott: "She'll be back."  

@Gambit: I was upset about the reasons for Captain America's s death. For the public to be so vindictive and cruel about what they wanted Capt to do. Fans that wrote marvel telling marvel what to do still don't realize they essentially killed Cap themselves since Marvel was being pulled  from both sides. 

Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Midnight Monk

Funny how no one mentioned all the X-Men that tend to die left and right, I'd say the X-Men are probably the only group that experience permanent deaths but I got no doubt Nightcrawler will be back

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By NightFang3

I think they should be sad because if they didn't then they would look like cold-hearted.

Avatar image for bob_agent_of_agency_x
    bob agent of agency x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what kind of a stupid question is that? 
    If they are not sad, they are cold hearted Bastards/ really good Villains. 
    however, in the case of Jean Grey, don't waste tears (I actually belive that South Park based Kenny off Jean).

warrenwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By warrenwhite

Thank the Lord for this:

No Caption Provided
    Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Mutant God

Of course they should be sad, they don't know if the dead person will come back. Look at Siryn, she was so upset at her father's death, that she said he will come back from the dead.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#82  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

I killed Nightcrawler in Ultimate Allaince, That pissed me off.

WoundingFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By WoundingFactor

I'd say yes, they should be sad, but comics need to work more on keeping people dead. Not only does it cheapen the seriousness of the issue to bring people back, but it also removes a good deal of the suspense from comics in general. I mean, take the X-Men: they've all got some cool powers, but not a whole lot of them are functionally immortal, so in your mind, they could go into combat and die. When they start coming back all the time, you don't even worry about the more fragile characters because, hey, they'll just be back eventually anyways.

There are some characters that probably shouldn't be killed off in the first place, but for those characters, when you do kill them off, it should be permanent, or at least lasting several years. Steve Rogers, for instance. I would have liked to see him not come back, or at least not come back nearly as soon as he did. Ben Reilly though, has been dead for years, and hopefully will stay dead, but at the same time, I could see Marvel bringing him back in the next ten years, even if it was only briefly.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By progenitorigin

In my opinion, as vicious and animalistic as Victor Creed was as a villain, I believe that he should be missed by a few.  Mystique, although we all know who her real lover was, obviously allowed Victor to get close to a personality she created.  I doubt Mystique would shed any tears over Creed's death, but maybe in a little way she would remember him in those moments of who she pretended to be and how Creed was affectionate with her. 

Logan, I think, should miss Sabretooth, simply because as much grief and tragedy as Creed brought to Logan, Victor was still always the one Logan could most relate to, he knew Creed best, even if it was mostly animosity towards them.  Classic Sabretooth, the one I love most, was sympathized by some members of the X-Men, like Beast, for the past that Victor endured.  Being chained up like a dog, having his fangs and nails ripped off by his father who called him a demon.  Creators of Creed made it clear that they never wanted to fully make Creed a hero, but Creed has helped the X-Men on numerous occasions in tight spots.  Personally, I hated how Creed was written at the end by Loeb, I hated how the introduction of Romulus took so much away from Sabretooth's character.  My absolute hope and wish would be that Classic Sabretooth would somehow return, and give Romulus the killing blow. 

Not many characters will miss Creed, they knew him for what he was, a contract killer, a vicious, animalistic man that lived by instinct rather than morality.  Sabretooth: Death Hunt was a miniseries that I thought captured Creed exactly as he was, as he should have been written all along, and I miss classic Sabretooth.  I miss the Sabretooth without friggin' tusks that would tell tales of tragedy and slaughter that he knew about, like the Marauders, Gambit's early story.  Perhaps someone out there in the world of villains will miss Creed, I know I do.  

The Cosmonaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By The Cosmonaut

I've got a rule - if it's a major character I don't sweat it, because I know it's just a marketing gimmick to sell more prints.  But if it's a secondary character I like, that's a little different.  Take Vic Sage for example - he gets cancer and the whole thing gets downplayed.  By the end of it, we've got a character who dies - and has the potential to stay dead for a very long time - just to change up an established franchise character with a new look and attitude.  However, on the other end of the coin, Batman dies and nobody takes it seriously because we all know they're never going to kill off Bruce Wayne so long as the name is still profitable.  However, back in '92 it was a totally different song-and-dance - I was too young to know or care back then, but the Death of Superman arc was a big deal to a lot of people, and it did a great job of doing what it was supposed to do - sell copies.

614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By 614azrael
    @The Cosmonaut:
    I would have to second u on this, I do however still care cuz i find it entertaining how it will playout. I do however wish sertain characters would stay dead or get a beter story on ther return. Sm died i was glad then he just comes back randomly n i was sad. Nightcrawler got impaled and as soon as i found out i was friken depresed being a side character its unlikely he will b back or at least for quite awhile.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#87  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

It would be unrealistic if they were not affected by death.

SuperGamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#88  Edited By SuperGamera

T he death of V in V for Vendetta was sad because he never came back

ADAMocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ADAMocracy

Look at it like this, if you had an incredible healing factor but you could still feel pain and someone kept ripping your balls off, even if they did grow back, would you still want it to happen.

devilvert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#90  Edited By devilvert

doods don't even get me started on Dragon Ball Z  

EVERYONE in that show died and came back atleast 10 times

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#91  Edited By PowerHerc

Yes of course they should.  They're supposed to be relatable.  If they weren't sad, then what does that say about them?
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#92  Edited By AgeofHurricane

R.I.P Laurie Collins.

druzod2501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By druzod2501

It feels like in the "mainstream" DC & Marvel universes they are forever hindered, there can be no lasting change because the rules say, the most readily recognizeable versions of our characters has to be visible most of the time.

That's why the multiverse is such a fascinating concept to me, because you can create worlds where those rules don't apply and keep changing things as long as the creative juices keep flowing. The Ultimate Universe, and the old Earth Two are the best examples to date. Death meant and still means something over there, in so many ways those worlds are vastly different from the mainstream but they are just as vibrant as their counterparts, and in alot of ways still recognizeable

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

Its depends on how long they have been dead or how many times they have died. Like lets say Ironman dies. I would be shocked but not sad. I mean he will probably be back in 3 months. For me its how long they have been dead. When you start to miss the character and want them back that's when its sad. Poor jean has almost been dead for 10 years D:

Wait you mean the characters in the book (O.O). OH then yes, of course they should be sad lol, somebody just died. I get said when I hear people who I don't even know die. Yes the characters should be sad, its only realistic. (I just edited this in)

dragoness1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By dragoness1993

I think that comic book characters should be sad if someone dies, I mean its only natural for characters to be sad over a death.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rlmay3 said:

No Caption Provided
    No offense intended, but this is essentially how I think most of us feel when a major character dies.

ROFL

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By MenaceForever2

I want nightcrawler back why can't scarlet witch bring him back I mean they have a daughter in an alternate universe or goodness sakes

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgeofHurricane said:

R.I.P Laurie Collins.

shes not died....she jst lost her powers.......if the scarlett witch's spell is broken, she will get her powers back

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#99  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

R.I.P Laurie Collins.

shes not died....she jst lost her powers.......if the scarlett witch's spell is broken, she will get her powers back

No, that's Sofia Mantega. Laurie was actually shot in the chest. Listen, i can't go into detail--i just--this is too much for me--*cries*.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgeofHurricane: oh yeah...i keep getting confused between the two...and laurie's arm was deformed from another mutant

i miss sofia.......i hope she gets her powers back

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.